Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 391 Words
  • 1,561 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Expedition - 9. Chapter 9- Epilogue

Several months later, we met with Mostafa in Cairo. He had opened the urns that we found in the temple. He also had deciphered the scroll we found next to the skeleton which I had placed in a coffin.

Sitting in Mostafa’s office, “Howard, Mahmoud, in each urn was a scroll, three golden coins, and tissue that we have identified as the organs which were removed before the body was treated according to the procedures for mummification. I have a list of the names of the boys. Their duties were to offer prayers to Alexander and dependent on their ancestry, Zeus or Amun. There was a ritual that involved the high priest. The boys wore what we would call a loincloth. That was their only clothing. Initially, food was supplied by soldiers who guarded the temple.

Before the abandonment of the site, the soldiers provide sarcophagi for the high priest and the boys. Sacks of grain and the urns originally contained water. One man stayed as a caregiver. He was the man who we found next to the sarcophagus who we now know was the high priest.”

I sat there listening to Mostafa. “Did you discover who commissioned the construction of the tomb?”

“There wasn’t anything in the scrolls to indicate who commissioned the construction. I believe it was Ptolemy. The three Greek boys probably were attendees to Alexander when he was alive.”

“What do you think happened to Alexander’s treasure?”

“If I had to guess, it lies with him under that platform.”

“Howard, before we go back to England, I would like to see that site one more time.”

I wondered how much sand had claimed the temple. We hired a helicopter and flew over the site, or what we thought was the site, all we saw was sand. “Fly in a larger circle just to make sure we are at the right spot.” We flew in a concentric circle for an hour—nothing except sand.

We flew back to Cairo. Mostafa agreed to send us a report, Mahmoud and I flew home.

Over the next few months, Mahmoud and I printed a book with pictures incorporating Mostafa’s report.

 

In the quiet of the evening, I think about that temple. I dream I am one of the boys offering allegiance to Alexander, the son of two gods.

Alexander's tomb still remains a mystery.
Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 16
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Forgive me for being thick but was the story implying something supernatural happened and that's why they didn't see anything from the helicopter? Anyway excellent story. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

A great summary to an awesome story.

Thanks Chris. I don't think I'll try and post a story when I haven't finished it. posting chapters as I write them, wasn't the best way for me.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Forgive me for being thick but was the story implying something supernatural happened and that's why they didn't see anything from the helicopter? Anyway excellent story. 

No, but you remember the temple was found under sand. They fought the sand, as the wind kept blowing the sand back.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Thank you, looking forward to your next, I am curious...won't the book encourage others to look for the tomb and possibly excavate it for the treasures within? 

If it was found once....

  • Like 3
Link to comment

So enjoyed this story. Then ending was just as Alexander's tomb in real life - shrouded in mystery (sand). Sometimes, things are just meant to be left to rest in peace and maybe that's what the sand was saying - it's time to let Alexander rest in peace. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Totally and utterly in love with this story, great way to end... Who knows it maybe a beginning if he is still thinking about the boys and what lies below the platform...  Would love them to go back and find what really lies below the throne.:2thumbs::thankyou::2thumbs:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/16/2021 at 6:49 AM, mfa607 said:

I enjoyed this story very much. Thank you. 

You are welcome.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/16/2021 at 8:29 AM, drsawzall said:

Thank you, looking forward to your next, I am curious...won't the book encourage others to look for the tomb and possibly excavate it for the treasures within? 

If it was found once....

I'm sure that people will continue to look. the question I have, what value would it have in today's world?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/16/2021 at 9:12 AM, Chris L said:

So enjoyed this story. Then ending was just as Alexander's tomb in real life - shrouded in mystery (sand). Sometimes, things are just meant to be left to rest in peace and maybe that's what the sand was saying - it's time to let Alexander rest in peace. 

I agree. We know of his deeds, and that will live long. His tomb would add nothing more.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/16/2021 at 10:00 AM, Kev said:

Totally and utterly in love with this story, great way to end... Who knows it maybe a beginning if he is still thinking about the boys and what lies below the platform...  Would love them to go back and find what really lies below the throne.:2thumbs::thankyou::2thumbs:

Maybe in the future, some one will read the book and make another expedition..

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/16/2021 at 5:41 AM, CLJobe said:

Thanks Chris. I don't think I'll try and post a story when I haven't finished it. posting chapters as I write them, wasn't the best way for me.

I want to thank you CL for making a decision I, as both a reader and editor (not of your works), applaud and encourage authors, writers to follow. 

It doesn't matter if you're a prolific writer, or someone just starting out, it is important that stories get told in their entirety. In my humble opinion (yes I know IMHO exists 😉)  there is nothing more frustrating than reading a good story, only to have it stop and remain unfinished. Whether the author has lost their muse (writer's block), suffered illness or passed away, an unfinished work as a loss for everyone.

I encourage all authors (regardless of genre) to look at options, (listed in NO particular order) especially if they are writing a lengthy story or a multi-book series:

1. When starting, create a story outline, with chapters laid out and key information (plot, characters, locale etc). It may seem like extra work, but its can help organize and remind/prompt the author).

2. Dictate / record your story so that if something were to happen the story 'could' be transcribed by someone you trust (that you've already chosen).

3. Complete your work before submitting it for printing, posting or both, (or maybe even audio book, previously called 'books on tape'). 

CL your stories are part of your legacy. They are an invaluable gift, not only to current readers, but hopefully for generations to come. 

Thank you.

Tony (Anton)

:hug:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..