Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 993 Words
  • 1,730 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Expedition - 3. Chapter 3

It was hard to concentrate on teaching, knowing that the excavation in Egypt was still going on. Mostafa kept Mahmoud and me updated on the progress of the dig by sending us photos. That only increased our impatience, knowing what was going on at the dig and not being there.

Mahmoud and I would call Mostafa upon receiving the photos, discussing the images over the phone. We would agree on the next steps. This helped, but as an archeologist, I wanted to be there.

In November, the photos showed what was a possible building. I phoned Mostafa. “Mostafa, these latest pictures show a large portion of a wall. I think the wall will extend around whatever that dark spot on the LIDAR is showing. I suggest you have the men concentrate on uncovering that wall. Once the wall is uncovered, we can get an idea of the size of the building. I’m sure it isn’t a pyramid. I think it may be a temple like the Karnak temple.”

As the photos continued to show that the wall extended beyond what would have been necessary for a temple, I began to realize this was something not seen before in Egypt. One week before the end of the fall term, I was on my way to Egypt. Mahmoud would join me at the end of the term.

I flew into Luxor. Mostafa met me, and we drove directly to the site. Arriving late in the evening, Mostafa had a collection of coins and artifacts uncovered by the crew while digging out the wall. Early in the morning, before the sun was up, I walked to the wall. The men were still sleeping, and there wasn’t anyone there. I sat on the wall, looking at the site, trying to figure out what was hidden. As the sun rose, I saw an uncovered stone. I watched as the stone became more visible. I realized what I was looking at, the top of a Greek temple.

As the men removed the sand, exposing the wall. More sand slid from the roof into the area where the sand was removed. Knowing this, I needed to redirect some men to start cleaning the sand from above the temple. To do this, the men had to remove the sand between the wall and the building. They were still working on removing sand to expose the wall. Now they will need to remove the sand from inside the wall as well. This was going to take longer than I thought.

I called Mahmoud and brought him up to date. We agreed he didn’t need to come to Egypt and we would keep in touch by phone.

I went and got a cup of coffee, thinking about the removal of the sand and what I thought about the building being a temple. Now the question was it a Greek temple or an Egyptian temple. That can’t be determined until the front of the temple is exposed. I thought if it were an Egyptian temple, that would explain the presence of Greek and Egyptian coins. “Mostafa, what is your opinion about that temple? Is it Egyptian or Greek?”

“There is a significant difference between them. We need to see more of the temple. But first, we need to devise a way to keep the sand we are removing from falling back in. The wind seems intent on blowing the sand back.”

“The wooden barriers don’t seem to be working. Is there a way we could brace them and build them higher?”

“Maybe if we build a second wall. We could take the sand from around the building and dump it between the walls.”

“We can try that. That second wall should be very tall.”

As I sat on the part of the wall exposed, looking at the building, I was sure it was a temple. There would be no other reason to build something here. But, what is the reason to have a temple so far from the Nile, which the Egyptians hold sacred? It had to be a Greek temple and a secret temple at that. Why a secret temple, and to whom was it dedicated. If it is sacred and a secret, whoever built it must have been an enemy of Ptolemy, or the individual to whom the temple was dedicated must have been the enemy. Since coins minted by Ptolemy were found here, Egyptians must have visited this temple. The longer I sat there, the more questions I had.

“Howard, you seem a long way off.”

“Mostafa, I was thinking about this temple. With the coins we have found, people from Greece and Egypt must have visited this temple. What or who would be common to both countries.”

“Howard, the cup. Coenus was a general in Alexander’s army. We know that Alexander awarded his generals. I think the cup was given to Coenus when the Eastern Campaign was over. If you are correct and this temple is a Greek temple, could this be a temple built by Coenus in honor of Alexander?”

“That is a possibility. But why here? There isn’t any water here.”

“None that we know today. But in 300 BC, there may have been. The desert is alive, and it moves. An oasis that existed 2000 years ago may not exist today. Our maps of ancient Egypt were created in this century. We can only guess what existed then based on artifacts we find.”

“If you are correct, Mostafa, then this would be a Grecian temple. Maybe once we are able to enter it, we will find answers to our questions.”

Two weeks passed, I was confident it was a Grecian temple. I wanted to stay, but school would be resuming. I flew back to London.

Arriving at school, I brought Mahmoud up to date. I also asked for a leave of absence. I was determined to be there when the temple would be uncovered.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 14
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This sounds like the lost city of Atlantis except its sand instead of water I have to ask we know Atlantis is fictional ( but some people are still looking for it)has there been a place like this found before?Also would there be  a historian  back then somebody like Josephus that wrote about this?

Edited by weinerdog
  • Like 3
Link to comment


Definitely need to be at the temple, sod the school! While you are at it, book me a ticket as you could do with an extra pair of hands digging all that sand. Not sure if I'd be helping, or just building sand castles watching your guys as I worked on getting a tan for the first time in my life.

Loving it ... Thank you:hug:

  • Like 3
Link to comment

THANK YOU FOR THE CHANGE OF LOCATION SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE INNER CITIES AND BURBIA USA...........I KNOW BURBIA IS NOT YET A WORD...........UNTIL NOW.  I COLLECT THESE COINS MENTIONED FROM ALEXANDER THE GREAT............HAVE ONE ON MY DESK AS I WRITE THIS MISSIVE....................ALL MY BEST  STAN 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/2/2021 at 11:23 AM, Chris L said:

Definitely a leave of absence is in order! The excitement of uncovering something like that would definitely be hard to curtail - at least for me. Also, the patience of waiting for the sand to be moved ... I probably opt for a HUGE leaf blower but then lose all the artifacts! LOL!!! 

For Howard there was no other choice he was willing to resign if he didn't  get his requested leave

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/2/2021 at 1:19 PM, Gary L said:

Im intrigued as to how they could get the funding….. 

Funding for these expeditions is usually through a university, museum and sometimes the government, in this case Egypt. As a result ant artifacts found are not the property of the team doing the expedition.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/2/2021 at 6:31 PM, Kev said:


Definitely need to be at the temple, sod the school! While you are at it, book me a ticket as you could do with an extra pair of hands digging all that sand. Not sure if I'd be helping, or just building sand castles watching your guys as I worked on getting a tan for the first time in my life.

Loving it ... Thank you:hug:

I will check to see if they can use an Englishman to shovel the "sand"

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/3/2021 at 10:56 AM, DelrayDad said:

THANK YOU FOR THE CHANGE OF LOCATION SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE INNER CITIES AND BURBIA USA...........I KNOW BURBIA IS NOT YET A WORD...........UNTIL NOW.  I COLLECT THESE COINS MENTIONED FROM ALEXANDER THE GREAT............HAVE ONE ON MY DESK AS I WRITE THIS MISSIVE....................ALL MY BEST  STAN 

I priced those coins and I thought they weren't cheap. I guess the silver content plus the age is worth the price. What is on the front and back of your coin.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/2/2021 at 3:03 PM, weinerdog said:

This sounds like the lost city of Atlantis except its sand instead of water I have to ask we know Atlantis is fictional ( but some people are still looking for it)has there been a place like this found before?Also would there be  a historian  back then somebody like Josephus that wrote about this?

As far as I know there have been unsuspected tombs found in Egypt and other places. I believe the field of archeology is alive and having expeditions have been a large draw for recruiting students. This story is fictional even though I have included some facts and will continue to do so.  There have been stories written about Alexander III, 'the Great" that is based on other writings of the time, both Grecian and Roman. I am not as familiar with all of Josephus's works to comment if he included anything about Alexander.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/2/2021 at 3:03 PM, mfa607 said:

Big fan of this story. Great chapter! 

Thanks, I hope you enjoy the rest of the story

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/2/2021 at 5:18 PM, drsawzall said:

Let's hope no curses are uncovered!!

tales from the darkside 80s GIF

If you expect a mummy, once we get into the temple. we will find out off your expectation is true.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Gomez Stanley C said:

Doing a wellness check. No replies to any of the comments here and no new chapter.  Hope you are well. 

 

I am well, this last week has been one of visits, my doctors insisted I come and see them.  The problem I see one doctor and he recommends me to another doctor. Sometimes I think I had chosen the wrong profession.  

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

I am well, this last week has been one of visits, my doctors insisted I come and see them.  The problem I see one doctor and he recommends me to another doctor. Sometimes I think I had chosen the wrong profession.  

Glad all is well.  I wish it was like the old days when you had one doctor that did it all instead of 20. LOL

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..