Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 596 Words
  • 1,677 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Expedition - 6. Chapter 6

I thought I got up early, but when I approached the temple, Mahmoud was sitting on the wall drinking a cup of tea. “Did you bring a cup for me?”

 

He must have been lost in thought. He jumped and spilled his tea. “You scared me.”

 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t realize you were so deep in thought. I’ll go and refill your cup. Have you had anything to eat?”

 

“Not yet. I was going to have breakfast after I finished my tea. I had to see the temple first. Sitting here, thinking about why they would build a temple in such a desolate place. It’s almost like they didn’t want anyone to worship in this temple.”

 

“There is a mystery about this temple. The location is unusual. Building it here would make it difficult and secretive. I get the impression they didn’t want anyone to know about this temple or visit. Let’s have breakfast, and we can get Mostafa and continue to clean the pediment.”

 

“I am here. I thought I would find both of you here.”

 

Laughing, we went and had breakfast. The crew brushed the sand from the boards while we ate. “I would like to measure the amount of sand that collects on those boards. We might be able to confirm when the temple was built.”

Mostafa assumed his position and started to brush away the sand. He had shown Mahmoud the sun and the beginning of a head. I showed him where he could start on the pediment. For the next 5 hours, we worked on the pediment in front of us. It was slow work, but we knew it would be slow. We broke for lunch, which we ate as we sat on the wall in front of the temple. We had concluded that it was a temple that wasn’t built for the public. It had a specific purpose.

A month passed, and again Mostafa made the first discovery. He had cleared enough of his side to make an educated guess that this temple was built to honor Amun. He had uncovered the sun above a figure of an ankh. I had enough uncovered to make a guess that someone was sitting in a chair or throne. Mahmoud had revealed a caked impression of a wing after he brushed the loose sand away.

Over dinner, we discussed what we had uncovered. “Mostafa, if your section represents Amun, then my section would represent who? Could it be Mut, his wife?”

“No, if that were the case, Amun would be on the left side, and Mut would be on the right side.”

“Who in Egyptian theology would be on par with Amun?”

“There is no one. Amun is the Creator of all.”

I had a feeling, but it seemed preposterous. A Greek temple, could the left side be Zeus. He was to the Greeks as Amun was to the Egyptians.

These feelings were proven true one month later. There was no question that Mostafa and Mahmoud had uncovered enough to show Amun. A sun above an Ankh on the shoulders of the outspread wings of an eagle. I had exposed Zeus, sitting on a throne on the left side, with an eagle on his right side and a rod on his left.

That evening I was in a deep sleep. I was on a battlefield. Our commander was killed. We took him to bury in secret. We didn’t want the enemy to know he was dead. “Mahmoud!!! I know who is buried in that temple.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 15
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I am still loving it, got loads of questions now... Greek and Egyptian... WOW!!! I so want to be part of this expedition😭😭 

I used to dream like that all of the time, but recently I hardly sleep, so don't get much chance. Many years ago I dreamt of my mum sitting and talking to me about my kids; I cried when I woke up because she died when I was just a kid myself. Often wish she would visit again because I was so young when she died that I can hardly remember how she looked.

Thank you... 🥰

Edited by Kev
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

WOW, Zeus and Amun - Greek and Egyptian. So enjoying this mystery unfolding. Can't wait to understand the history of the temple as the archeologist undercover and share more with us. Amazing how dreams give us clarity to the complex. :) 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Kev said:

I am still loving it, got loads of questions now... Greek and Egyptian... WOW!!! I so want to be part of this expedition😭😭 

I used to dream like that all of the time, but recently I hardly sleep, so don't get much chance. Many years ago I dreamt of my mum sitting and talking to me about my kids; I cried when I woke up because she died when I was just a kid myself. Often wish she would visit again because I was so young when she died that I can hardly remember how she looked.

Thank you... 🥰

It is strange what we dream. I dream stories the I have written.  The problem is remembering what I dream.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Wow...now it gets very interesting!

Yes, the door is ready to open,. what is there

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Chris L said:

WOW, Zeus and Amun - Greek and Egyptian. So enjoying this mystery unfolding. Can't wait to understand the history of the temple as the archeologist undercover and share more with us. Amazing how dreams give us clarity to the complex. :) 

In the still of the night, the mind wanders. I wonder how much we miss as our mind searches the night. I'm sure you have awoken with a new thought or revelation you hadn't thought about. Howard is on to something

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I don't much about mythology but I know a little is this going to be a familiar name?

Now you want me to spoil the surprise. Take a guess knowing Ptolemy was involved since his coins where found there

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Things are getting interesting 

Yes, it will be like opening of a present not knowing who sent it

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..