Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,076 Words
  • 5,269 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Life Changes - 2. Chapter 2

The funeral has arrived and Neil must deal with Maryann's grandparents. Ralph is also dealing with the changes coming to him. What will this all mean to his family? Read on.

“Somehow I just never expected this.”

I looked over to see Neil holding Maryann Frances Weaton in his arms. The baby was so wrapped in pink blankets that she resembled a sort of pink burrito with a bottle sticking out of it with happy slurping noises coming from inside.

“What didn’t you expect?” Mom’s voice broke through the silence and brought Neil’s attention to her immediately. “Being a father or that your whole life could change in a day?” Mom glanced around and finished preparing the baby carrier as she ran around the living room.

“Any of it. I never expected them to die.”

“Well, you agreed to look after her.” Mom shot Neil another look. He had arranged to finish his last class by video while all the arrangements for the funerals were made.

Mom had taken to trying to get everything taken care of. She had been over at the Weaton house most of the last two days, making phone calls and keeping things together. Mrs. Weaton was a mess and when her husband finally arrived he rushed to his wife’s side and held her hand saying they would survive this. Of course he hadn’t eaten or slept since he found out about Frank and passed out cold shortly after walking into his house. Mom had helped Neil make the arrangements. She even offered to let the Stevens, Maryann’s parents, stay with us for a while. They had declined the offer and were staying at a nearby hotel, but were going to need a ride to get around. Her parents were due to arrive by plane in an hour.

Neil looked so lost, but he never once would let Maryann out of his sight.

I was about to comment when my phone rang.

“S’up?”

“Hey Ralph.”

“Can’t talk right now, Harry. Getting ready for the funerals.”

“Sorry, bud. Just kind of miss you.”

I could feel my face getting red. This is one of those things I really wanted to talk about with Neil, but I knew it was going to have to wait until things had settled down a bit. He had enough going on right now and I refused to add to his burden.

“I know. I promise to call you later.”

“Good. Wish everyone had made it out okay.”

I closed my eyes and stopped what I was doing when I heard what Harry had said. He wasn’t the only one who wished things had turned out differently. The accident and deaths were common knowledge. The news had spread it all over and my poor brother had been spotlighted as the single friend standing in for his two deceased friends. The family had been at Neil’s side since this mess had begun. He had already had to go down to the lawyer’s office and began signing papers. Legally he was now responsible for Maryann’s well being.

“Yeah, me too. I’ll call you later.”

I hung up and looked at Neil. He was slowly accepting his new life. Mom had offered him his old room and mine. She talked Dad into renovating the basement and putting in a large bedroom with its own bathroom. The construction crew was already hard at work, although it would be a month or more till I could move into it. Till then I was sleeping on the roll out couch in the office. It wasn’t my idea of fun, but I wasn’t going to make Neil’s life any harder than it already was.

“Ralph, Mona, Neil. The car is here. Come on. We have to go meet the Steven’s.”

Dad stood at the door in his black suit. He had been on guard duty so he could run over and let Frank’s parents know when we were leaving.

“We’ll be right there, dear. Just making sure we have everything the baby will need for this afternoon.”

I watched as Mom checked the diaper bag and made sure everything we could need was there. I hadn’t realized how much a baby needs, but Mom was guiding Neil through the whole thing.

“Ralph, come hold Maryann for a moment.” Neil was gently rubbing the baby’s back as he waited for me to come over.

Mom looked a bit upset, but the baby was only ever quiet when either Neil or I held her. For everyone else, well, all I could say is that she has a very healthy set of lungs.

Neil took off the cloth he had over his shoulder and slid his jacket on all while keeping an eye on Maryann as she rested in my arms. He picked up the teddy bear he had bought for her and put it into the diaper bag before he slung it over his shoulder.

“Okay, I’ll take her back now.”

“Come on boys. We don’t want to be late to pick up the Stevens.” Mom slipped another bag over her arm and headed out the door.

“Got everything Neil?” Dad stood watching us from the doorway.

“I think so Dad.”

“Good. Don’t worry, between Mona and I, well,” Dad nodded and rested his hand on Neil’s shoulder, “we’ll do everything we can to help you.”

I followed Dad and Neil out, closing the door behind me. I noticed that Dad had rented a double stretch limo. As I headed toward the car, the Weaton’s came out of their home and walked toward the car as well.

“Ash, you okay?” Dad opened the door as the man neared.

“As well as can be expected Ted.”

Lisa Weaton climbed into the car and broke down the second she seen Maryann in Neil’s arms. She had tried to hold the baby a few times, but little Maryann screamed the second Lisa held her. I’d heard her explain to mom that she’d been against Frank marrying Maryann, saying that she felt Maryann hadn’t been good enough, so now she felt horribly guilty over everything and maybe the baby sensed that.

“Driver, can you please take us to the airport? We have two more to pick up.”

“Yes sir.”

There was a sort of strange silence in the limo that was occasionally broken by the baby’s coo or Lisa’s sniffling as she looked across the way. I looked out the window trying to ignore how uncomfortable it all was and noticed the dark clouds as they moved across the sky. I just hoped it didn’t end up raining during the funeral.

So that is the second chapter. How do you like it so far? Comments are always welcomed. If you enjoyed it feel free to click like. Thanks for reading.
Copyright © 2013 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 9
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This scene is so real. It's a family going through a sudden loss, and then a new baby,

and all the details that a funeral involves. Little Maryanne's choosy about who she

likes, isn't she? It's amazing how babies are like that.

I already feel attached to these people.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Boy, you talk about changes. A baby will flip your world in a heartbeat. The boys will become attached to Maryanne before they know it and everything will revolve around and be about her. Loving this Wayne.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I just want to make sure I didn't miss something. The baby's mom was named Maryanne and the baby will also be named Maryanne, too? Want to make sure I keep it clear in my mind.

I love that the baby only wants to be held by the guys. Smart girl getting the boys wrapped around her little finger :P Great story but really heartbreakingly sad. It was one of the toughest things we had to decide after getting JJ, who would we name as her guardian if something happened to us. Something you pray never happens but need to protect your little ones at all cost.

Can't wait for more!! :thumbup:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 06/28/2013 10:12 AM, K.C. said:
I just want to make sure I didn't miss something. The baby's mom was named Maryanne and the baby will also be named Maryanne, too? Want to make sure I keep it clear in my mind.

I love that the baby only wants to be held by the guys. Smart girl getting the boys wrapped around her little finger :P Great story but really heartbreakingly sad. It was one of the toughest things we had to decide after getting JJ, who would we name as her guardian if something happened to us. Something you pray never happens but need to protect your little ones at all cost.

Can't wait for more!! :thumbup:

The baby is named after her parents - Maryann who was her mother and then Francis for Frank. Yeah, that is one of those details that most parents have to make, whether they want to or not. Glad you are enjoying this KC.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/28/2013 01:00 AM, joann414 said:
Boy, you talk about changes. A baby will flip your world in a heartbeat. The boys will become attached to Maryanne before they know it and everything will revolve around and be about her. Loving this Wayne.
A baby really changes the way you see the world. Neil is already wrapped around her finger. Naturally there is a lot more to come.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/27/2013 11:26 PM, Stephen said:
This scene is so real. It's a family going through a sudden loss, and then a new baby,

and all the details that a funeral involves. Little Maryanne's choosy about who she

likes, isn't she? It's amazing how babies are like that.

I already feel attached to these people.

I'm glad you are liking the story so far Stephen. My mother use to say that small children and animals were great at picking out good people. Time will tell.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Three sets of parents and the only ones the baby will let hold her are the two brothers. Bet that is going over well. Why do I get the idea that the Stevens aren't really a part of this little circle. Good chapter.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/03/2013 11:43 AM, Daithi said:
Three sets of parents and the only ones the baby will let hold her are the two brothers. Bet that is going over well. Why do I get the idea that the Stevens aren't really a part of this little circle. Good chapter.
Well Maryann was born and instantly ended up with three sets of grandparents. Just going to take a bit of time to get everyone where they need to be.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm still a little confused about whether Maryann the mother was pregnant when she died. But I assume so, since why else name the baby after her and Frank. Awful idea IMO, I feel sorry for the poor girl. Fancy knowing people think of your dead mother every time they say your name. :pinch:  But otherwise Neil seems to be doing OK in his new role as father.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

I'm still a little confused about whether Maryann the mother was pregnant when she died. But I assume so, since why else name the baby after her and Frank. Awful idea IMO, I feel sorry for the poor girl. Fancy knowing people think of your dead mother every time they say your name. :pinch:  But otherwise Neil seems to be doing OK in his new role as father.

Frank died in the accident and his wife died shortly after giving birth. I dont see the baby as anything but a gift from her parents. She is named after them, but is already getting her own nicknames like munchkin.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..