Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,161 Words
  • 4,238 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Life Changes - 6. Chapter 6

Ralph and his boyfriend, Harry, have their day at the pride parade. Everything's good, right?

“I’m going to hurt him!” My Uncle Chris glared at his fiancé as we marched into the house.

“Calm down, hon. They are kids.” Stevie tried to be the voice of reason, but it was a lost cause.

My uncle and uncle to be went silent as they spotted my mother standing in the hallway, Maryann on her shoulder, and a rather grim look on her face. “I’m going to set the baby down for a nap, then you can explain to me why my son has a split lip and a ripped tee shirt.”

I shivered as her voice dropped to a whisper and she turned to head to Neil’s rooms.

“You better go change and clean up, kiddo.” Uncle Chris patted my shoulder and I went downstairs.

I stood looking at myself in the mirror, thinking how the day had started off so well.

*-*-*-

“Hurry up, or Uncle Stephen will just eat the last of the waffles.” Neil called down to me and Harry.

“Come on. Stevie is a chef. You really don’t want to miss his cooking,” I told Harry as I grabbed his hand and dragged him upstairs.

It wasn’t even seven in the morning, but the whole house was up. Dad was feeding the munchkin while Mom sat at the table for a change. Uncle Chris and Neil were in the corner talking, but Stevie stood at the stove where all sorts of delicious aromas filled the room.

“Sit down,” Mom stated as she poured a glass of orange juice.

Harry and I barely sat down when Uncle Chris and Neil joined us.

“Hope you are all hungry!” Stevie began bringing platter after platter of food over. There were home fries, bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, and then he began making waffles. The waffles were a treat and the waffle iron made him laugh. Dad had bought mom a Mickey Mouse waffle iron a few years ago, but she’d only used it once.

“I didn’t think I had all of this in the house,” Mom commented as everyone dug into the mountain of food Stevie dished up.

“You…um,” Uncle Chris took a sip of coffee before he continued. “You didn’t. After the great meal you cooked for us while I was going over Neil’s case, Stevie wanted to do something for the family. He borrowed Neil’s car and did the shopping last night.”

“It’s the least I could do,” Stevie said with a shrug.

“Hey, you are taking Harry and I to the parade. That is a lot. Trust me.”

The whole family laughed and Harry blushed.

“Just cheaper to feed you here than at the parade.” Uncle Chris laughed. “I remember what growing kids are like. Your dad and I used to eat your grandmother out of house and home.”

“Hell, you still have a healthy appetite.” Stevie patted my uncle’s flat belly.

“Yeah, but all that gym time keeps it in check.”

The jokes flew fast and furious and then the uncles were getting Harry and I into Neil’s car.

“Alright you two listen up. Just stay close, feel free to ask any questions you want, but be careful. There are all kinds of crazies at these things. Both those who hate gays as well as some creepy gays.” Stevie handed us both a bottle of water and sun tan lotion. “It’ll be hot so drink. Don’t forget the lotion.”

Harry and I looked at everything. There were families of every description, rainbow flags, and people wearing everything from leather to lace to nearly nothing.

“Uncle Chris, what’s wrong with that guy’s mustache?”

I heard Harry snicker and shot him a dirty look.

“Which guy?” My uncle tried to decide who I meant but too many people had facial hair.

“The little guy over there,” I whispered as I didn’t want to make a scene.

As my uncle noticed the guy, he smiled and shook his head. “You really are sheltered. That’s a King.”

“A king? What does that mean?”

Harry lost it. My boyfriend had come out when he was twelve and his mother supported him. He’d been to parades and last year his mother took him to see Drag-con. He knew a lot, but I was just starting out. I was glad my uncle was there to explain, because my boyfriend just seemed to find my lack of knowledge amusing.

“You know what a drag queen is, right?” Stevie looked at me, and waited patiently.

“Yes.” Then the lightbulb went on and I shook my head. “Oh. Now I feel stupid.”

“Well, RuPaul made queens common place, but people forget there is the opposite side of the coin. A woman can be as tough and masculine looking. Flip the heels and dresses for dress shoes and suits.” Uncle Chris shrugged.

We found a good spot and watched the parade go by.

“I’ve gotta pee. I’ll be right back,” Harry said as he looked around.

“Across the street is a Starbuck’s. They’ll let you use their bathroom,” Uncle Chris said as he pointed it out. “You want us to go with you?”

“Nah. I’ll be right back.”

I got absorbed in the people marching past us until these guys in leather strutted by, most had their asses hanging out. I turned to tell Harry and realized he wasn’t back. I grabbed both of my uncles.

“Where is Harry?”

They looked at each other, back at me, grabbed my arms and hurried across to the Starbuck’s. We searched the whole place with no sign of him. As we stepped outside I thought I spotted his bright green shirt by a doorway a few stores down. I broke and ran, followed by my uncles.

I grabbed the shoulder of the guy, turning him to face me, and it was Harry. However, I didn’t realize I’d just pulled him from a kiss, nor from just a guy, but a rather cute drag queen.

“Find your own guy!” He screamed and popped me right in the mouth. I started to fall and Harry grabbed for me, ripping my shirt.

“Oh shit!” Uncle Chris stood looking at my face.

“Come on. We’ll get some ice on that and get you home. Harry, if you want a lift we are leaving with your boyfriend now!” Stevie grabbed a handkerchief and wiped at my busted lip.

Harry blushed and the poor guy in drag just stood there shell shocked.

It was the longest ride of my life.

Harry and I sat in silence. When we arrived at his house he turned to speak, but I just shook my head.

“Go, Harry. I can’t handle this right now.”

Harry just nodded and climbed out.

A moment later Uncle Chris pulled away. I refused to look back, and tried not to cry.

Uncle Chris and Stevie sat silently on the drive home, occasionally shooting each other looks,

I just curled up there in the back seat feeling cold and alone.

So that's the latest.

A big thank you to @Reader1810 for stepping in and helping me finish this.

Comments are always appreciated. Thank you for reading.
Copyright © 2013 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 4
  • Wow 4
  • Sad 6
  • Angry 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Stupid Harry, I'm really :pissed: with him. Even if he did this at pride parades when he was single, he can't do that now. Or at least not without discussing it with his boyfriend first. But I'm glad his uncles are there for Ralph.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

Stupid Harry, I'm really :pissed: with him. Even if he did this at pride parades when he was single, he can't do that now. Or at least not without discussing it with his boyfriend first. But I'm glad his uncles are there for Ralph.

Yeah, Harry royally screwed up. Part of being fourteen and figuring life out. 

Ralph has to figure out a few things. The good news is he has a family to support him. They will either work it out or they won't. Have to keep reading to find out. 😊

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I didn’t expect that twist as I was anticipating some homophobic incident to occur when it was revealed something bad happened at the parade. I immediately wanted to assume that the kiss was mostly innocent with the guy kissing Harry without permission and yet obviously there is no logical reason that I can think of for Harry being at a store a few doors down from Starbucks if it was innocent as he should have been walking towards them. I don’t think it was some preplanned thing where the bathroom break was a lie so he could sneak off to hookup with someone else but I also don’t think he was an exactly unwilling participant. Life is so hard right now for Ralph and Neil that this couldn’t have happened at a worse time plus Harry was the catalyst for Ralph even coming out so he must be hurting deeply right now. Maybe they’ll work things out and maybe not, though either way the future is going to be bumpy for both brothers.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, NimirRaj said:

I didn’t expect that twist as I was anticipating some homophobic incident to occur when it was revealed something bad happened at the parade. I immediately wanted to assume that the kiss was mostly innocent with the guy kissing Harry without permission and yet obviously there is no logical reason that I can think of for Harry being at a store a few doors down from Starbucks if it was innocent as he should have been walking towards them. I don’t think it was some preplanned thing where the bathroom break was a lie so he could sneak off to hookup with someone else but I also don’t think he was an exactly unwilling participant. Life is so hard right now for Ralph and Neil that this couldn’t have happened at a worse time plus Harry was the catalyst for Ralph even coming out so he must be hurting deeply right now. Maybe they’ll work things out and maybe not, though either way the future is going to be bumpy for both brothers.

Rarely do problems come from the outside. Ralph and Harry are both young teenagers. They are at the age where they know who they like, but exactly how to have a relationship is something they are learning about. More to come.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I thought you were supposed to act really slutty at these parades.  I don't see what Harry did wrong.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, GanymedeRex said:

I thought you were supposed to act really slutty at these parades.  I don't see what Harry did wrong.

Harry is fourteen, out with his boyfriend and his boyfriend's uncles. Ralph just came out to his family because of Harry, and he hasn't figured anything really out yet. Harry disappeared while under their watch. Stevie understands Harry is exploring, but Ralph doesn't get it and Chris is ticked for Harry wandering off and hurting Ralph.

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..