Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,077 Words
  • 5,834 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Life Changes - 1. Chapter 1

Ralph and Neil are just your typical brothers dealing with the everyday issues until an accident turns their world upside down. Here is the opening chapter that sets up what the brothers will be dealing with.

Life Changes – Chapter 1

“I have to have a talk with your mother.”Neil stood in the doorway looking totally distraught.

“What’s up?” I set down my English homework and gave him my full attention.

He stood there biting his lower lip and slowly shifted his weight from one leg to the other. I immediately noticed the difference in Neil, my brother was usually the one who took action, not look for help. This whole change in him was beginning to get to me.

“Look, if it is really important talk to dad. You know my mom freaks at anything. What’s wrong anyway?”

Neil was my half brother, and usually he was the one I went to with problems because he was the strong one. My whole life he has always watched over me. His mom and our dad had been married first, but she had been hit by a drunk driver when he was five. It took dad four years before he was able to move forward with his life, meet and marry my mom. The accident changed both Dad and Neil. Dad stopped drinking completely. It made Neil aware of the dangers of drinking and driving, so now he never drank anything with alcohol. By the time I came into the world, it was just before Neil turned ten. As far back as I could remember, he had been a great big brother.

Neil walked in and closed the door. I watched as he came and sat on the bed, turned to me, then began to cry.

“Shit, Neil. What’s wrong?” I reached out and hugged him. I’ve never seen Neil break down. Hell, I had never seen such a bleak look in his dark eyes.

“Frank’s … Frank’s.” His voice was so choked with emotion that couldn’t figure out what he was trying to say. I simply held him and let him cry himself out.

“Frank’s dead.” His voice sounded hollow and he shuddered in my arms.

I knew who Frank was; I’d been around him my whole life. Frank lived across the street and was Neil’s best bud. They’d gone through school together, and then to college. When Frank got married last year, Neil was his best man. Now he was dead?

“Are you sure?” I felt rather stupid even asking, Neil wasn’t the type to breakdown over nothing.

Neil nodded and looked at his feet.

“There was a car accident.” He was barely speaking above a whisper. “The hospital called. A truck hit their car after it had been slammed into by a car. Flipped their car and rolled it. Frank died instantly. Maryann is in intensive care. They saved the baby, but they aren’t sure she is going to make it.” He was all cried out and curled up on the bed instead getting up to find mom.

Now I knew why he wanted mom. She might not have been any good at problems in our family, freaking out over someone not wearing matching socks, but give her a real emergency and she could make things happen.

I pulled my blanket over Neil and went downstairs.

“Ralph, where the hell is your brother?” Mom slammed down the package of meat she had been holding as she continued her tirade. “I swear that man comes home from Graduate School and doesn’t even stop to say hello. You would think by now he would have learned some manners!”

I waited for her to run out of breath. It was just easier with mom; once she got rolling you couldn’t get a word in edgewise.

“Neil is lying down on my bed.”

Mom’s eyes narrowed and I knew she was about to let go with another round of what was wrong with my brother, but I cut her off.

“Frank is dead, Mom. He was killed this afternoon, and evidently Maryann isn’t doing too well either. “

Mom’s whole demeanor immediately changed as she slipped into emergency mode. She seemed to freeze, but her eyes never left mine.

“Oh my god. How did that happen? How is the baby? Do you know?”

“There was a car accident. Neil said they saved the baby, but Maryann might not make it.”

Mom set down the onion she had been holding and went to the sink. She washed her hands and then grabbed her cell.

“Let your brother sleep. Call your father and tell him about Frank and Maryann.”

I nodded as she dialed her phone.

“Lisa, I’m so sorry. I just heard. Yes, we will be going to the hospital as soon as we can. What? No, I will get Neil there then. Yes, of course.”

I texted Dad while mom spoke. I knew he was driving and didn’t want to upset him by actually calling like mom wanted. I knew he wouldn’t read the text till he pulled up outside.

“Did you call your father?”

“Tried but went to voicemail, Mom.” I lied as slid my phone back into my pocket. “Texted him so he will know.”

She nodded her head.

“Lisa is a mess. I don’t know what I would do if that had been you or Neil.”

Lisa Weaton was Frank’s mom. She’d babysit me if Neil was out and the ‘rents were going out. Ashton Weaton was a pilot. I knew he would have to fly home and probably wouldn’t be here till either late tonight or early tomorrow. It was something I’d been hearing about ever since I could remember, and why Frank had been a constant visitor here.

“I’m going to have to get Neil up.”

Mom looked really worried.

“Why? He was literally crying his eyes out a few minutes ago. Once he was finished he curled up and fell asleep.”

“Lisa was telling me that after Maryann got pregnant, Lisa fought with them both to make a will out. Lisa wanted them to leave everything in Lisa and Ashton’s hands if something ever happened. Frank wouldn’t hear of it. He said his parents were barely there for him, and since Maryann’s parents were already in their seventies there was no way they could leave a child in their care either. They named Neil sole guardian and he was given power of attorney, and named as their right to life candidate as well. He needs to be there if a decision has to be made whether or not to take Maryann off of life support.”

So you have met the major players in this little drama. Comments as usual are greatly appreciated. If you enjoyed the story feel free to hit the like button.
Copyright © 2013 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 4
  • Wow 5
  • Sad 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It's funny how circumstances can change your place in life. For instance, Ralph went from being the dependent one to the one needed by Neill. It's always great to see two brothers close. Poor Neill has a long row to hoe ahead of him, but I have a feeling he and Ralph will manage a lot between the two of them. Looking forward to more Wayne. :read::great:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Wow! Really strong, powerful little blurb. It's amazing what you can do in about 1000 words. I'll definitely be coming back for more!

Link to comment
On 06/20/2013 09:03 AM, Rebelghost85 said:
Whoa. That was an extreme start to the story. I can't wait to read more. You have my attention!
Thank you Rebel. Yeah the story will have short chapters but I have a few written out already so they will post weekly. Glad you enjoyed the start of this.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/20/2013 09:08 AM, joann414 said:
It's funny how circumstances can change your place in life. For instance, Ralph went from being the dependent one to the one needed by Neill. It's always great to see two brothers close. Poor Neill has a long row to hoe ahead of him, but I have a feeling he and Ralph will manage a lot between the two of them. Looking forward to more Wayne. :read::great:
That is always the give and take in a family. When you know you can trust someone you never worry and just do what you can to help out.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/20/2013 10:04 AM, said:
Wow! Really strong, powerful little blurb. It's amazing what you can do in about 1000 words. I'll definitely be coming back for more!
Yeah none of the chapters will be super long. They average about 800 to a 1000 words and will focus on the brothers, using the prompt lines to start each chapter.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hard hitting! A real powerful punch in such a short start. i can't wait to get more. Great Job! :thumbup:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 06/20/2013 11:06 AM, K.C. said:
Hard hitting! A real powerful punch in such a short start. i can't wait to get more. Great Job! :thumbup:
Thanks KC. Been a while since I even tried to post a longer story. Hoping it goes well. Thanks for the vote of confidence.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well that was totally depressing. Terrific job! lol

 

Seriously though, this is really good. I feel so badly for Neill. He's such a mess already, I can't imagine him being strong enough to make a major life decision like he might have to make for Maryann.

 

I'm looking forward to the next chapter. =)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 06/20/2013 01:07 PM, Lisa said:
Well that was totally depressing. Terrific job! lol

 

Seriously though, this is really good. I feel so badly for Neill. He's such a mess already, I can't imagine him being strong enough to make a major life decision like he might have to make for Maryann.

 

I'm looking forward to the next chapter. =)

Thank you Lisa. Yeah, life has a few changes lined up for the boys. I rarely hold back any punches.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh no what a sad start :( Poor Neil ! Looking forward for more though.. I like stories with short chapters KC's fault !! :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 06/21/2013 08:01 AM, Slytherin said:
Oh no what a sad start :( Poor Neil ! Looking forward for more though.. I like stories with short chapters KC's fault !! :)
Well they are short but I try to keep your interest in them Slytherin. I will have to thank KC. :lol:
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Damned truck drivers! We have a family dynamic about to change big time.

And it's just begun.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/27/2013 10:33 PM, Stephen said:
Damned truck drivers! We have a family dynamic about to change big time.

And it's just begun.

Yeah. I like to get my readers involved from the beginning. The whole family is going to see a lot of changes in a fairly short period of time. Some will be bad, some good, but it will leave them all changed.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow you know how to grab a readers attention right off the bat. It may have been a short chapter but you packed a lot of info and emotions into. Comraderie between brothers, despair and sorrow for a lost friend, frustration from mom then emergency mode right after. What's Neil going to do I can just see the confrontations now so sad.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/03/2013 11:37 AM, Daithi said:
Wow you know how to grab a readers attention right off the bat. It may have been a short chapter but you packed a lot of info and emotions into. Comraderie between brothers, despair and sorrow for a lost friend, frustration from mom then emergency mode right after. What's Neil going to do I can just see the confrontations now so sad.
The short story format is one I love. You don't have time for a lot of fluff or the giving lots of unnecessary information. You need to get in, give what it is necessary, and get out. I look at each chapter as its own story. Together they tell the tale of two brothers. Alone they are each a stand alone tale.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

A sad start, but I guess we now know how Neil becomes a father. And Ralph can be a substitute big brother as well as uncle.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..