Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 1,186 Words
  • 3,680 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Neko Shorts - 6. Prompt #328: Meeting Arabella

Prompt #328--First Line: "You expect me to believe that?"

Prompt #328--First Line: "You expect me to believe that?"

 

Meeting Arabella

 

"You expect me to believe that?" Kayden said, crossing his arms and glaring up into the sapphire eyes of the dark man looming over him.

A smile quirked in the corner of the man's luscious lips, and Kayden resisted the urge to step forward and press his lips to them. But there was that beast in the way. The one that the man, his man, was fawning all over. Kayden glared as his lover's large hands smoothed over the sleek hair of the beast. He wanted those hands on him.

"Kayden, kitten," Damien smiled soothingly, "you've got to earn her trust first. Offering her food and letting her smell you will help with that."

"So you want me to put my hand near that huge mouth so she can bite it off?" Kayden looked over at the mare's large muzzle.

"I just told you, she won't bite you," Damien urged the young neko to take the apple slice, but Kayden was still looking at the mare's mouth that could easily take in his whole hand, let alone a finger or two.

He heard a chuckle from the other side of the barn, and noticed the stable master, Lance Cessel, and a couple grooms watching the whole scene with amusement.

"You petted Jester, remember?" Damien reminded him of the time when Kayden had met his master's first horse. The beautiful stallion had died in an assassination attempt on the duke's life, and Damien had sorely missed his beloved horse. Damien had finally chosen a new stallion, Gemini, whom he had fallen in love with. Now, Damien was determined to get Kayden to learn to ride as well, so that Kayden could join him on his rides.

"You weren't asking me to put my hand in his mouth either," Kayden stubbornly refused to take the apple slice that Damien was holding out for Kayden to take.

Arabella was supposed to be Kayden's horse now. The horse had greeted him with a snort, which made Kayden wary of the dappled mare. She was a beautiful gray that reminded Kayden of the drizzly days that he enjoyed watching the rain run down the window in rivulets.

Damien sighed at him, obviously trying to be patient, but Kayden knew that horses tended to be uneasy around nekos. The horse not only sensed his fear, but also was wary about his feline side. Kayden couldn't say he was really fond of her scent either.

"Kayden, she won't hurt you, I promise," Damien said patiently. "Just hold the apple on the flat of your palm. Like this," Damien demonstrated, and the horse jerked her head, trying to reach the treat. Damien let her take it, showing that his hand hadn't been bitten off.

Kayden flattened his black pointed ears on the top of his head, showing his annoyance. He really did want to be able to go with his master on rides, but he really wasn't so sure about sitting on the back of this massive beast, especially now that he was so close to her. It had been different watching her from a distance while the grooms trained her. The horses never seemed quite so big then, especially their teeth. It probably didn't help that he was smaller than most.

"Fine," Kayden finally grumbled, taking the apple slice.

He started as Arabella's nose followed the passing of the treat from the lord to her new master. Kayden closed his eyes as he held out his hand. He could tell it was shaking, but he tried to breathe through his fear of being bitten and trust in Damien's faith in the horse's demeanor.

He flinched slightly when he felt moist, furry lips nibble at the apple, but he opened his eyes in surprise when he realized he hadn't felt her teeth at all. The gray mare eyed him happily as she munched on her treat.

Kayden slowly smiled over at Damien, pleased he had managed to feed the horse from his hand.

"See?" Damien said, as he petted the sleek neck of the animal. "She's the most gentle horse here. She'll be perfect for you, sweetheart."

"She is pretty," Kayden admitted, taking another apple and offering it to her. He giggled as her lips tickled his hand.

He slowly stepped closer and ran his hand down the sleek, hard muscles of her neck. He loved how soft she felt. "Bella."

His horse nuzzled against his shoulder, then she dipped her head, nudging and sniffing. Kayden started to retreat, unsure of what the huge animal wanted.

Damien, of course, laughed. "She's searching for more treats, that's all."

"Oh," Kayden relaxed a little and let the big girl search. He could understand the need to look for treats. He did it all the time in Garin's kitchen, much to the chef's chagrin. When she huffed in his ear though, he shook his head and frowned at her, but then she rested her head on his shoulder and he melted under the show of affection.

"I think she likes you," the stable master commented as he cautiously walked closer so as not to spook either the horse nor the young neko.

"I think so too," Damien smiled his agreement, stepping back to let his boy bond with the mare.

"Really?" Kayden asked uncertainly.

"Yeah," the stable master smiled broadly. "Arabella has been waiting for someone to love her. I think she thinks that someone is you."

Kayden leaned his head against the neck of the pearl gray mare, slowly allowing himself to relax and trust that she wouldn't hurt him intentionally. It had been so difficult for him to accept that not everyone wanted to hurt him, since he'd lived for years in constant fear. Facing such a huge animal, he had immediately assumed because of her size that she would want to exert her dominance over him, since he was so much smaller than she was. He could see his master and the others easily mastering their horses because they were such strong men. But Kayden wasn't. And he wasn't sure that he could manage a horse the way they did.

"I--I don't know," Kayden hesitated. He could understand the need to be loved, but he wasn't sure if he could be the one she needed.

"Kayden," Damien stepped up behind him, leaning in close to Kayden's other ear. "She's just like me or you, or anyone else here. She just wants to be loved and cared for."

Kayden felt tears start to prick at the corners of his eyes as he remembered when he'd finally let himself believe that he could be loved. That Damien loved him. And that he loved the man standing behind him. Unconditionally.

He could give some of that to Bella.

"She already trusts you," Damien said. "She can sense that you are a kind soul, that you'll take care of her."

"I will," Kayden agreed, smiling into the side of his horse's neck. She nuzzled against him again, almost seeming to sigh contentedly.

Copyright © 2015 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I loved the original story and these little short stories are wonderful treats. As an avid horse lover this one made me smile, it makes me remember the first time I fed a horse a teat and how wary I was of the big teeth. I especially loved the ending with Kayden and the horse it was really sweet. I enjoyed it, thanks!

Link to comment
On 12/07/2014 06:58 AM, fiedlerbob101 said:
As always i love reading about my lil buddy and loved this lil tale

 

Bob

:D
Link to comment
On 12/07/2014 05:00 AM, Wintersmiles said:
I loved the original story and these little short stories are wonderful treats. As an avid horse lover this one made me smile, it makes me remember the first time I fed a horse a teat and how wary I was of the big teeth. I especially loved the ending with Kayden and the horse it was really sweet. I enjoyed it, thanks!
I remember my daughter feeling that way too! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.
Link to comment
On 12/10/2014 05:06 PM, Lugnutz said:
I like this. Probably the most moving of the shorts.
Thank you. I think it's important for an owner to bond with their horse and Kayden knows how it feels to need to be loved.
Link to comment
On 01/09/2015 05:53 AM, Rambling Robin said:
Dawwwwww, this is sweet. I love it.
;) I thought since Kayden rides a horse in the sequel it might be nice to explore how he learns to ride...
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..