Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 827 Words
  • 4,250 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Neko Shorts - 9. Prompt #256: It's Just a Scratch

p style="font-size:1.1em;line-height:1.3em;">Prompt # 256-- Use these words in a story: apple tree, broken fence, horse, phone, doctor

So again, this prompt was a little tougher with the 'phone' in the list (kinda like the blue sweater in the first one), since there are no phones in Neko land.

Prompt # 256-- Use these words in a story:

apple tree, broken fence, horse, phone, doctor

 

It's just a scratch

 

"Kayden," Ellis called as he approached the poultry corral. He could see the black haired neko on the ground reaching through the fence.

The neko jumped and turned from where he had his arm through the thin slats of the chickens' pen. There was an edge of a broken fence post that hadn't been fixed yet, and it provided a nice hole that he could reach his thin arm through. He'd been watching his beloved peacock when he'd noticed the beautiful bird plucking at another feather that he was getting ready to shed. Kayden had already collected and hidden away a few feathers. He knew that Ysmenia liked to keep an eye out for the feathers too as she made them into some weird thing that she used to fling dust back into the air when she cleaned. It always made Kayden sneeze. And he kept wanting to attack the thing as she waved it around like that.

As the older neko approached, Kayden realized that he'd scraped his bicep on the fence planks when he'd yanked his arm back through the slats. Well, crap, that would sting in the shower tonight.

"Kayden, what are you doing?" the older neko asked, his brown tail flicking a couple times. Obviously, he'd been looking for Kayden.

"Just watching Azule." Kayden slid his hand through his ebony locks.

Ellis eyed him narrowly. "Yeah, right," he said. He stopped when Kayden's bright green eyes widened innocently. ""Don't give me that phone--"

"But, I didn't do anything," Kayden insisted.

"Don't give me that phoney innocent look," Ellis finished. "I know you've been grabbing the feathers of the peacock and hiding them."

Crap. Kayden twitched his pointed black ears.

"You know that Ysmenia needs them to make her feather dusters. She's been wondering why there aren't more yet."

"Yeah, I know," Kayden glanced down at the ground in shame. "But they're too pretty to be smearing around in the dust."

Ellis laughed. "They help to keep the shelves and mantles free of dust."

Kayden wrinkled his nose. "No, they don't. They just fling the dust back into the air."

Ellis didn't have much to say to that since the kit was right. "Just leave some feathers for her, alright?" Ellis finally sighed.

"Fine," Kayden reached back through the broken fence to grab the long feather that he'd almost had. He thrust it at Ellis. "She can have this one. There's not much blue on it anyway."

Ellis snorted a laugh, knowing that Kayden loved the color blue. It probably had something to do with the fact that Lord Damien's eyes were blue too. Ellis reached to take the feather when he noticed the streaks of blood on the boy's bicep.

He grabbed the younger neko's arm and pulled it closer, scrutinizing the scratches, wondering how deep they were. "You probably should go see the doctor."

Kayden pulled his arm away from the older neko. "It's just a scratch."

"Yeah, like the time you fell off of the horse was just a scratch." Ellis rolled his eyes.

A small smirk appeared on the edges of the thin lips of his master's young lover. "Well, that was different."

Ellis tried not to smile as he stared sternly at the smaller neko. "It wouldn't have happened if you hadn't tried to stand up on the damn horse to reach the limb of that apple tree."

"I thought she would like it," Kayden defended. " Bella likes apples as a treat."

"Then get off the horse next time before you try to grab one from the tree."

"Well, if you hadn't shouted then Bella wouldn't have been startled, either."

Ellis at least looked a little chagrinned. He knew it had been his fault that the horse had jumped. But he hadn't been able to help his shout of concern when he'd seen the boy standing up on the back of his horse, reaching toward a bright red apple from a heavy limb. Unfortunately, his shout of concern had cause the horse to startle and Kayden had crashed to the ground. Kayden had manage to right his balance just as he hit the ground, but his hand had been seriously cut by a sharp rock. The doc hadn't been pleased to have to stitch up the kid again, even if it was just a couple of them.

"Well, if you hadn't been standing on the damn horse, I wouldn't have shouted," Ellis muttered. "You scared the shit out of me. You think I'd be used to it by now."

Kayden just waved at his arm with those wide innocent green eyes. "Really, it's just as scratch. Everyone worries so much."

Ellis narrowed his eyes at the young neko. "If you'd stop doing stuff that freaked everyone out, then we wouldn't have to worry."

Copyright © 2015 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 4
  • Haha 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Love Kayden. He has turned into such a lovable daredevil, everyone's hair will be gray from worrying about him!

Link to comment
On 12/12/2014 04:50 AM, avidreadr said:
Love Kayden. He has turned into such a lovable daredevil, everyone's hair will be gray from worrying about him!
Hehe, yep, his more adventurous side will cause some issues in the sequel...
Link to comment

Let me quote from my ch 2 review :lol:

:rolleyes: You would have thought that people around Kayden would have learnt not to shout by now.

I think Kayden should have as many peacock feathers as he wants.

Link to comment

Kayden is such an adorable character. And why shouldn´t he keep all the feathers he wants, such a waste to use them in cleaning :P

Link to comment

I've missed reviewing the last couple because I've read them on my phone on the hop. But I had to review this one because it's so so cute. OMG I just love Kayden. Please don't ever change him :)

Awesome use of the phone prompt I have to agree. :)

Link to comment
On 12/12/2014 07:02 AM, Fantasyboy69 said:
WELL DONE! I was wondering how you were going to handle "phone", but you did it so well you had me cackling with delight.
Strangely it was one of those moments that hit me in the middle of the night and I had to get up and jot it down so I didn't forget it.
Link to comment
On 12/12/2014 05:11 AM, Timothy M. said:
Let me quote from my ch 2 review :lol:

:rolleyes: You would have thought that people around Kayden would have learnt not to shout by now.

I think Kayden should have as many peacock feathers as he wants.

hehe, he has a plan for those feathers too!
Link to comment
On 12/12/2014 05:57 AM, Suvitar said:
Kayden is such an adorable character. And why shouldn´t he keep all the feathers he wants, such a waste to use them in cleaning :P
I agree, they shouldn't be wasted on cleaning... Ysmenia has different ideas about that. hehe.
Link to comment
On 12/12/2014 07:16 AM, Nephylim said:
I've missed reviewing the last couple because I've read them on my phone on the hop. But I had to review this one because it's so so cute. OMG I just love Kayden. Please don't ever change him :)

Awesome use of the phone prompt I have to agree. :)

Thank you! So glad you liked it. The prompts have been so fun to play with the characters like this.
Link to comment
On 12/12/2014 08:02 AM, fiedlerbob101 said:
as always a wonderful read thank you for the short

 

Bob

Thank you so much. :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I absolutely adore Kayden. So cute how he collects the blue feathers. I love how you weave in his feline characteristics, like how he wants to attack the feather duster. lol

Link to comment
On 12/12/2014 11:19 AM, Valkyrie said:
I absolutely adore Kayden. So cute how he collects the blue feathers. I love how you weave in his feline characteristics, like how he wants to attack the feather duster. lol
Thank you! I really try to imagine what my cat would have done when I think of ways Kayden might react to things.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..