Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 1,351 Words
  • 3,932 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Neko Shorts - 12. Prompt #332: The Tower of Confectionery Goodness

span style="font-size:1.1em;line-height:1.3em;">Prompt #332--First Line: "Try it again, and I will kill you."
So here's a silly one of Garin and Kayden again (I think I love how Kayden gets to the grumpy chef).

Prompt #332--First Line: "Try it again, and I will kill you."

 

The Tower of Confectionery Goodness

 

"Try it again, and I will kill you."

Kayden pulled his hand back quickly, looking wide-eyed up at the growling chef. He wasn't quite sure if the man was serious. He certainly looked serious, standing there with the angry frown on his face, holding the large knife threateningly. But, he'd also been at the manor long enough to realize that the chef was always grumpy and growling at someone, usually him. He just seemed so much more protective of this huge, white stack of confection, that Kayden wasn't sure what to make of it.

"Aww, Garin, how can you resist those eyes?" Lizzy cooed as she swept by him and Kayden jumped when she playfully stroked her fingers down his cheek.

The chef harrumphed and went back to chopping the carrots, his eyes casting one last narrowed look toward Kayden. In truth, Kayden knew that the man often couldn't resist if Kayden gave him his soft pleading look, tucking his long silky tail around his leg and looking up at the man from beneath his long ebony locks. Garin had never been out-right friendly to him; the man would never deem to look like he actually liked Kayden, or God-forbid, someone might think he cared. Even so, everyone seemed to know better. It was no secret that Garin had given up his 'no nekos in the kitchen' rule for Kayden or that the man sneaked special cuts of meat or sweets to him.

Which was why Kayden was so confused about the man's protectiveness over this one. There was so much of it, one little lick would never be missed. He was sure of it.

He had watched the man the last couple of days whipping and stirring and sifting and pouring and baking and... And finally there was this beautiful, tall white cream covered cake sitting there. Inviting him. To take a lick.

Kayden felt himself inching forward again, and Garin shot a look at him, pointing his knife warningly. "Don't even think about it."

Kayden flattened his furry, pointed ears against his head in annoyance. He huffed as he finally scooted back toward the hearth.

"After what you did to my best pumpkin last fall, you better not touch that cake," Garin grumbled.

Several of the servants chuckled, always amused by the interaction between the gruff chef and the new neko who had won their master's heart--and everyone else's.

"Come on, kit," one of the servants that Kayden knew as Nickolaus called. "You can help me hang the garlands. Marcus and I still have a lot to hang, and we all know how good you are at climbing."

Kayden cast one last longing look at the confectionery goodness before deciding to follow the red-headed servant. It had taken him a long time to accept being around any of the other servants alone except for Ysmenia, Ellis, or John. But over the last months, he'd come to learn that no one in this house wished him harm.

He'd had many of them tease him playfully about how he was the only one who had ever broken through the austere facade of the Grand Duke of Marsten.

Nickolaus halted suddenly, and Kayden nearly ran into the back of him. Harrison and Damien were striding into the kitchens, talking animatedly about the wedding plans. The duke looked relaxed and seemed to be chiding his brother about something, but the groom was looking rather nervous already.

"Don't worry about it," Damien was saying, and Kayden grinned when the man's fond look fell on him. "The church is being decorated as we speak."

"And what about the ballroom?" Harrison huffed. "It's nowhere near done!"

Nickolaus coughed, embarrassed that he hadn't finished with the decorating. "We're going to do that right now, sir."

Damien shot a chastising look at Harrison for being so rude. "It's fine. It is almost done, and you know it."

Damien stopped in front of Kayden, smiling down at the young neko. Kayden lifted on his toes, silently seeking a kiss, and Damien smiled slightly as he leaned down to brush a chaste kiss on his lover's lips. Kayden purred as the man's strong hand stroked down the back of his head and gripped the nape of his neck.

"And what are you up to, kitten?"

"I'm going to help Nickolaus decorate," Kayden stated, avoiding the narrowed gaze of the chef.

"Great," Harrison mumbled. "I hope it doesn't turn out like it did when he tried to decorate the front steps with pumpkins."

Damien huffed out a chuckle, others around him managing to hide their amusement better. Kayden's mouth dropped open in embarrassment and surprise at Harrison's harsh words. "Don't worry, kitten, he's just grumpy."

Kayden shot a look at both the chef and Harrison. "Everyone is," he mumbled.

"Yes, the wedding is causing everyone to be a bit more on edge," Damien agreed, glancing around the kitchen. He placed a kiss on Kayden's forehead.

Harrison sighed. "Sorry, Kayden, I'm just a little bit stressed. I just want everything to be just right for Penelope."

Kayden nodded his acceptance.

"See, things will be fine, Harry, just take a breath," Damien said. He turned to the beautiful towering wedding cake, laced with delicate piping and roses. "Here, just take a look at the masterpiece Garin has accomplished."

Everyone turned to look again at the chef's precious confectionery showpiece. For once, the man's residual scowl disappeared to a smirk of pride.

"And I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks," Kayden piped up, smiling at both lords.

"I bet it does," Damien agreed, swiping a finger through a small smear of icing at the bottom edge of the cake.

A collective hush fell over the kitchen as Garin's mouth dropped open in shock. Damien was oblivious to the staring servants as he took a small taste, before turning to Kayden and offering the rest to him. Kayden licked the sweetness off of his master's finger.

"See, good, huh?" Damien smiled.

"Stop putting your fingers in the wedding cake," Harrison grumbled.

Damien laughed, still trying to lighten his brother's mood. "It's a cake, Harrison. It's going to be cut up and eaten. It's not like it's a painting. It doesn't have to be perfect."

Garin's jaw dropped. "Sir?"

"Sorry, Garin," Damien apologized for the tiny taste. "It is lovely and delicious, but Harrison is stressing out about everything needing to be perfect. I'm just trying to get him to realize that none of these silly decorations and such matter in the long run. All that matters is that he loves Penelope and they just relax and enjoy their wedding day."

Harrison chuckled, releasing a long pent-up breath. "You're right. The little stuff doesn't matter, does it? It's not like anyone will notice or care about all of that years from now."

"Nope," Damien grinned. "Now, let's go shoot some skeet and get you to let out some of that frustration."

The duke's strong arm slid over his brother's shoulders, guiding him towards the exit of the kitchen.

The hush lingered in the kitchen in the wake of the duke's exit. The staff warily eyed the fuming chef. Kayden froze as the man pierced him with his gaze.

"You," Garin growled, pointing with his knife towards the young neko.

Kayden's eyes widened. "But I didn't do anything!"

"Get. Out. Now." Garin slammed his knife down as he stalked toward his masterpiece to take in the damage done by the duke. Everyone could see that the swipe the duke had made was barely noticeable, just a wipe of stray icing from the edge of the platter the cake was placed on actually. But that didn't matter to Garin. Someone had marred his culinary masterpiece.

"It's really good," Kayden grinned as he darted for the doorway, out of the chef's domain. "Better than pumpkin pie!"

There was an eruption of laughter behind him as he raced away, hearing the chef shout after him.

"Kayden!"

Copyright © 2015 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 2
  • Haha 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm loving these shorts. They are very cute and endearing, and I love how you're exploring Kayden's personality more. Kudos to you.

Link to comment

Such a wonderful chapter!

I just love the way Damien treats Kayden, he´s very affectionate and totally enjoys Kayden´s company. Very funny how Damien didn´t take the wedding cake too seriously and let Kayden taste it. Hopefully no one gets killed before the wedding is over :P

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I love the title! It conjured up all sorts of images of Kayden and destroyed wedding cake...lol I love the interaction between Kayden and the staff (and Damien) and it's so great to see him gaining confidence. Nicely done. :)

Link to comment

I love the interaction between the brothers. Who would have guessed that Damien would be the one to get Harrison not to take things too seriously. Lol.

Link to comment

That was too funny!! I kept waiting on Kayden to destroy the cake and was so glad that Damien was the one to swipe a taste. The interaction between the brothers was perfect. These shorts make my day!!! :2thumbs:

Link to comment
On 12/18/2014 12:11 PM, LadyDe said:
That was too funny!! I kept waiting on Kayden to destroy the cake and was so glad that Damien was the one to swipe a taste. The interaction between the brothers was perfect. These shorts make my day!!! :2thumbs:
Hehe, yeah, I figured if Damien did it, Garin couldn't say much! And does show how much Kayden has changed Damien's life that Damien can be the laid back one for a change. :)
Link to comment
On 12/18/2014 09:45 AM, LitLover said:
I love the interaction between the brothers. Who would have guessed that Damien would be the one to get Harrison not to take things too seriously. Lol.
I know, it just shows how much Kayden has affected Damien--in a good way!
Link to comment
On 12/18/2014 06:03 AM, Valkyrie said:
I love the title! It conjured up all sorts of images of Kayden and destroyed wedding cake...lol I love the interaction between Kayden and the staff (and Damien) and it's so great to see him gaining confidence. Nicely done. :)
Hehe, exactly. And I did think about that briefly, but thought it better that Damien caused the mischief...
Link to comment
On 12/18/2014 03:44 AM, Nephylim said:
I loved it. Loved Loved Loved it
So? Did you like it? hehe :)

Thank you, so glad you loved it!

Link to comment
On 12/18/2014 05:50 AM, Suvitar said:
Such a wonderful chapter!

I just love the way Damien treats Kayden, he´s very affectionate and totally enjoys Kayden´s company. Very funny how Damien didn´t take the wedding cake too seriously and let Kayden taste it. Hopefully no one gets killed before the wedding is over :P

Hehe, it does show how Damien is becoming more laid back with Kayden in his life now. So glad you enjoyed it.
Link to comment
On 12/18/2014 03:29 AM, Wicked Witch said:
I'm loving these shorts. They are very cute and endearing, and I love how you're exploring Kayden's personality more. Kudos to you.
Thank you. Kayden is going to be a bit of a challenge in the sequel with his emerging confidence. I hope I do him justice.
Link to comment

Good to see that Damien's got a troublemaking streak too :gikkle: between him and Kay, Garin has his work cut out for him :lol:. Love the shorts, they're perfect for a quick smile :)

Link to comment
On 01/03/2015 12:16 PM, faxity said:
Good to see that Damien's got a troublemaking streak too :gikkle: between him and Kay, Garin has his work cut out for him :lol:. Love the shorts, they're perfect for a quick smile :)
Glad you like them!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..