Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 1,594 Words
  • 4,612 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Neko Shorts - 15. Prompt #394--A Stubborn Neko

Prompt #394--Use the following words: roses, dinner reservations, a broken toilet, a wet towel, and an owl

Prompt #394--Use the following words: roses, dinner reservations, a broken toilet, a wet towel, and an owl

 

A Stubborn Neko

 

"No, I'm not going," Kayden stubbornly crossed his arms and refused to budge.

Damien sighed heavily. He wasn't sure why his little neko lover was being so adamant and worried about having dinner with his uncle at the castle.

"What are your dinner reservations now?" Damien asked. "You've met my uncle before. What's there to be nervous about?"

The green eyes narrowed at him as the black ears flattened. "All those men in red...with those roses on their..." Kayden waved at his front, indicating the guards' tabards. "They'll be everywhere."

"You realize that when we move into the castle after Uncle Eudon steps down, you'll have to be around them all the time."

Kayden's eyes widened, and Damien realized that the boy hadn't really thought about that. Crap, now he was going to be even more nervous. Aaannnd, there goes the tail, he thought, as Kayden's sleek tail started swishing behind him, betraying his nerves.

He almost laughed out loud at how nervous Kayden still was around the palace guards, especially after seeing how confident he was around Damien's own guards now. But he also couldn't forget the first time that Kayden had ever seen the palace guards. King Eudon had visited shortly after Damien had been 'gifted' with the young neko, and Kayden had nearly been killed by one of the guards when he'd tripped over his horribly long pants and stumbled into the king. Even after two years, Kayden was still wary around the king's guards. Going to the castle where he'd be surrounded by them would obviously make him wary.

Damien gathered Kayden in his arms, pulling him against his chest. He could feel the stiffness in the boy's shoulders. Damien pressed a kiss to the top of his head between his soft furry ears. "It'll be fine, kitten. Why don't you take a quick, warm shower? Relax for a bit before we leave."

Kayden's dark head nodded against his chest.

"I'll be back in just a bit. I'm going to run check on Harrison and Penelope. They should be here soon. Hopefully, Penelope isn't too tired."

Kayden frowned as he turned toward the bathroom. "Is she still not feeling well?"

Damien chuckled. "The baby must be a night owl. He seems to be keeping her awake at all hours of the night lately."

Kayden smiled, and Damien was glad to see that small smile light his boy's face. Good, maybe he'd feel better knowing that Penelope would be going with them, Damien thought. He turned to leave as Kayden yanked his linen shirt over his head as he walked toward the bathroom.

He sucked in his breath at the play of the afternoon sunlight over the ripples of the boy's lean back muscles. His eyes followed the line of the lightly bronzed skin along his spine to the base of the long swaying black tail. His mind trailed to thoughts of what lay beyond that enticing tail before he managed to grit his teeth and turn away before he ended up following Kayden into the bathroom.

"Be quick, kitten," Damien said as he exited the room.

He made his way downstairs, to be greeted by one of Harrison's footmen. Apparently, they were running a bit late due to another bout of baby sickness. Damien felt so sorry for his sister-in-law, being burdened with not just morning sickness, but all day sickness, from her pregnancy.

"That's fine, we'll wait as long as we can for them. If they can't make it, then Kayden and I will go by ourselves," he said.

"Very well, your Grace. I will let my lord know." And with that the man turned to leave.

His own guard captain stalked through the foyer. "I've checked on the carriage. Finn is driving tonight, and Rafe, Marcus, and Robert are accompanying us."

"Good." Damien nodded. As he watched the household neko, Ellis, move through the foyer with a pile of firewood, and Ysmenia carry a pile of linens up the stairs. Damien began to realize how much he'd come to rely on his faithful staff. How much they had helped not only him over the years in his time of need after his father had passed, but had been there for Kayden as well. Ellis had spent hours coaxing his kitten out of his shell and had been the only one that Kayden talked to for a long time, except for Damien. His manservant, John Drystan, faithfully straightened up the bed every time Kayden snuck back in for a nap. Even his grumpy chef, Garin, seemed to like Kayden better than anyone else in the house--although the man would never admit it.

The idea of leaving them when his uncle stepped down as king left an ache in his heart. There was no way he could do that, but he hated to uproot them either. He'd definitely have to talk to them about it, give them the choice of whether to stay here or go to the castle with him. He could only pray that some of them would be willing to come. Because he was sure that Kayden would need something familiar to ease the transition.

"Everything okay?" Geoff asked with a small frown.

"Yeah, just fine," Damien smiled. "I'm just going to look at some of the post, then we'll see if Harrison and Penelope get here in time."

He turned to his study. Flipping through the various letters and reports quickly, he made a few notes in his ledgers. It wasn't long before a half hour had passed, and he knew if he didn't head up to get Kayden soon, the boy would hide out in the bath forever.

As he started back up the stairs, John stopped him. "Sir, your brother and Lady Penelope are on their way. They will be here momentarily."

"Ahh, good," Damien smiled. "Now to go see if a little kitten can be dragged out of the bath."

John Drystan chuckled as he followed Damien up the stairs. As Damien entered the room, John waited outside the door, ready to offer any assistance if necessary.

"Kayden!" Damien called, hearing the flushing of the toilet. "Time to get dressed."

The duke froze when his young lover exited the washroom wrapped in only a wet towel. The damp body hovered in the doorway, and Damien pushed back the urge to just flip the boy onto the bed and forget dinner with his uncle.

"Get dressed, kitten."

Kayden smirked slightly, and Damien looked at him warily. He'd seen that look too many times to not know that something was up.

"I can't go."

Damien pursed his lips patiently. "And why not? More reservations about what will happen at dinner?"

Kayden smiled slightly. "No, I just don't have any shoes to wear."

Okay, Damien hadn't expected that one. He cocked his head curiously. "You have two pairs of leather slippers that would be appropriate for dinner."

"They're wet."

Damien gaped at the wide grin, wondering just what Kayden was talking about. It hadn't rained recently. And it wasn't like the boy wore them unless he absolutely had to. So how could they possibly have gotten wet?

He stalked over to the neko standing in the doorway to the bath with his arms crossed over his smooth bare chest. Resisting the urge to kiss the smirk right off the boy's face, he glared down at him. "What did you do to your shoes now?"

"They fell," Kayden grinned even wider.

"Fell? Fell where?" Damien wasn't liking where this was going.

Kayden just waved into the bathroom, and Damien stalked over, first glancing in the bathtub where he figured Kayden might have doused the leather shoes. But the boy's shoes were nowhere to be seen.

"Where--?" Damien started turning toward Kayden who only raised his brows, pointedly staring at the toilet. "You didn't..."

Damien stalked over to the bowl to see four shoes stuck in the toilet bowl. His hands snapped up to his hips in irritation as he stared at the soaked leather. "So you'd risk a broken toilet just to get out of going to dinner with my uncle?"

Kayden just bit his lip, perhaps realizing that maybe he'd gone a little too far to make his point about not wanting to go.

Damien reached in the clean water and pulled out each dripping shoe. "I've put off taking you to visit at the castle long enough. This is just a simple dinner with just my uncle and brother, and Penelope of course. It's not like it's the entire court."

Damien reached over and snatched the towel off of Kayden's hips, receiving a shocked glare as he proceeded to wrap one pair of the shoes in a towel and squeeze as much water out of them as possible. "Go on, now. Get dressed."

"But--"

Damien pointedly did not look over at Kayden. That lean naked body would be way too much of a distraction. "A pair of wet shoes is not getting you out of this. Now, since we don't have your new boots back yet from the cobbler, you'll just have to wear these damp."

Damien held up the two leather slippers with a smirk, and Kayden glared at him as he snatched them out of his hand, turning to go find clothes. "If I'd had boots, they'd be in there with them."

"Of that, I'm quite certain."

  

Copyright © 2015 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Haha 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

"I just don't have any shoes to wear." Kayden "tsk tsk" lol At least he feels comfortable enough to do things like that now. Good chapter!

Link to comment

That was a great use of the prompt! I really like it when the obvious is avoided and your dinner reservations was outstanding. The roses on the tabards and the fetus being a night owl were also pretty cool!

Link to comment

Sounds like a spoiled little kitty. Sometimes he is going to have to learn to hold his tail up and just march ahead like he owns the place. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

That was just too much fun. I love these little snippets and seeing the way you manipulate the prompts.

Link to comment

lmao he I so like a child at times and then he's this force to be reckoned with at others. oh lord how he'll tear up the court when they end up there lol

Link to comment
On 02/21/2015 10:00 PM, Cannd said:
lmao he I so like a child at times and then he's this force to be reckoned with at others. oh lord how he'll tear up the court when they end up there lol
Hehe, he is. I see him as playful and a lot more confident.
Link to comment
On 02/21/2015 03:49 PM, drpaladin said:
That was just too much fun. I love these little snippets and seeing the way you manipulate the prompts.
I do really like to play with the 'list' prompts and get them to fit into the neko world somehow.
Link to comment
On 02/21/2015 12:42 PM, comicfan said:
Sounds like a spoiled little kitty. Sometimes he is going to have to learn to hold his tail up and just march ahead like he owns the place. :)
He is a bit. Damien does let him have his way now-- most of the time.
Link to comment
On 02/21/2015 10:48 AM, fiedlerbob101 said:
thanks for taking the time to continue with these lil snippits of kayden and Damien theyare just to good and so damn cute

 

Bob

I am really enjoying writing more light-hearted, funny snippets with these characters! Glad you are enjoying them just as much.
Link to comment
On 02/21/2015 08:58 AM, Normischell said:
These "shorts" are so damn addicting! I love getting little glimpses into their everyday life. Keep them coming! :D
Thank you! So glad you are enjoying them! I'm really getting addicted to writing them!
Link to comment
On 02/21/2015 08:50 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
That was a great use of the prompt! I really like it when the obvious is avoided and your dinner reservations was outstanding. The roses on the tabards and the fetus being a night owl were also pretty cool!
Hehe, thank you! "dinner reservations" was the hardest to figure out how to work in. I love to play on words...:)
Link to comment
On 02/21/2015 08:27 AM, Suvitar said:
It´s always such a pleasure to read about happenings in Kayden and Damien´s life :)
:) glad you are enjoying them!
Link to comment
On 02/21/2015 07:55 AM, avidreadr said:
I've know kids like that. So cute and sweet, you could eat them up but little brats. You got to love them.
hehe, I know I have two of them myself!
Link to comment
On 02/21/2015 04:37 AM, Chezakeeba said:
"I just don't have any shoes to wear." Kayden "tsk tsk" lol At least he feels comfortable enough to do things like that now. Good chapter!
Oh, yeah, he definitely wouldn't have been there in the Tears of the Neko. Just shows how much he's changed. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..