Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 754 Words
  • 3,868 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Neko Shorts - 5. Prompt #291--That Damn Tree

span style="font-size:1em;line-height:1.3em;">Prompt # 291--First Line: "Oh, crap, here we go again."
This is a pretty short one again and not as funny as some of the others, but it reminds some of the other characters of Kayden's fears even as he's now had a few months to settle into life at the manor.

Prompt # 291--First Line: "Oh, crap, here we go again."

That Damn Tree

 

"Oh, crap, here we go again," he mumbled as he looked up into the tree.

The slave master frowned up at the small figure perched high on the limb in the one tree that graced the slave yard: the one the young neko had scurried up when he'd first been brought here after being frightened by shotgun blasts. And now he was there again.

"Kayden! Get down here!" Ellis shouted.

Jacob laughed at the other neko calling up to the scared kit.

"We're supposed to be going to meet Master Damien in the stables."

The brown-eared neko looked over at the slave master with an annoyed frown as the man laughed at him.

"Good luck getting him down, Ellis," Jacob chuckled.

"What the hell caused him to run up the tree like that?" Ellis asked, his sable brown tail swishing in annoyance.

Arnett shrugged. "I don't know. Last time he did that it was when Damien was shooting skeet." He looked around but didn't see anything that would cause the young neko slave to be so scared. There were no loud noises, not even the chopping of wood. He swung his arms wide, gesturing with the coiled whip he had been taking to the stables to get oil to condition it with. "There's nothing here for the kit to be afraid of. No one's after him, there's no loud noises..."

Ellis stared up at the young neko who had stolen his master's heart. The poor thing had been so abused and scared when he'd first arrived, but he had been settling in lately. He'd even started speaking to someone besides Damien.

He could see that Kayden was staring down at him intently, but the slight shaking in his lean legs and the sleek black tail tucked tightly into his body betrayed the kit's fear.

Ellis frowned, his hands raising to his hips as both he and the slave master pondered what had startled the young thing up the tree this time.

"Kayden, come on, there's nothing down here to be afraid of," Ellis urged.

"Come on, kit," Arnett called as well, waving the hand holding the coiled leather placatingly. "You're safe. Nothing's going to hurt you."

Ellis's keen cat eyes noticed the flinch of the black-eared neko even as high as he was in the tree. What could have--

Oh, shit. The whip. The young neko had raced up the tree as Arnett had walked out of the slave den with his leather whip.

"Sir, your whip," Ellis nudged the older man.

"What about it?" Jacob looked at the length of braided leather. "I'm heading to the stables to get oil to condition it."

Ellis cast one last glance up the tree. "He's afraid of the whip."

Arnett stiffened as the house neko's words sunk in. Fuck. Of course, Kayden would be terrified of the whip, especially after what Roman had done to him. The damn Marquis had nearly stripped the flesh off the poor neko's back in his hate for his brother, Damien, and his lust for the throne. Even though, Roman was no longer around to harm the young neko, seeing the whip that had wrought so much pain must have triggered panic in the boy.

Arnett quickly slipped the braided leather behind him, out of sight of the bright green eyes staring down at him from the tree.

"Hey, kit, it's okay," he called gently. "I'm going to go put this away, and you can come down for Ellis, okay?"

He watched as Kayden tilted his head, his black ears pricking forward. As Jacob stepped backwards, keeping the whip out of sight, he could see the tension in the neko's lean limbs slowly loosen.

As he turned back into the slave den to wait until Damien's young neko lover came down from the tree, he could hear the rustle of leaves in the tree. He sighed in relief as he realized that the boy was climbing down, probably leaping down in death-defying jumps that would scare the crap out of Damien if he were around. Of course, if Damien were around, Jacob figured he'd be getting an earful for scaring the kit in the first place.

He shook his head as he watched the boy land gracefully on the ground, and Ellis quickly shooed the kid toward the stables, knowing that Damien would settle Kayden.

He really needed to consider cutting down that damn tree.

Hehe, Okay, so there is much concern about the tree, so I just wanted to say that Arnett doesn't really have any intention to cut down the tree. He's just voicing a little frustration that's all. I promise the tree will always be there as Kayden's refuge. I doubt Damien would approve it being cut down either. So thank you all for your concern over the tree, but I had no intention of having it actually cut down. :)
Copyright © 2015 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 2
  • Sad 4
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh no! He can't cut down the tree. Where will the Kit go when he's scared if not for the tree. As best they try Kayden has been through so much he's obviously going to get scared sometimes and the tree is his bolt hole. Leave it alone :D

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I agree with the other reviewers. Don't cut down the tree! Poor Kayden. He's come a long way, but you've portrayed nicely that the long-term effects of abuse don't just go away after the abuse stops. Nice job. :)

Link to comment
On 12/06/2014 05:54 AM, fiedlerbob101 said:
thanks for the short, i love reading about our ;lil buddy

 

Bob

thank you. :)
Link to comment
On 12/06/2014 05:54 AM, fiedlerbob101 said:
thanks for the short, i love reading about our ;lil buddy

 

Bob

thank you. :)
Link to comment
On 12/06/2014 06:09 AM, Nephylim said:
Oh no! He can't cut down the tree. Where will the Kit go when he's scared if not for the tree. As best they try Kayden has been through so much he's obviously going to get scared sometimes and the tree is his bolt hole. Leave it alone :D
:) Don't worry they won't cut down the tree. Arnett is just venting.
Link to comment
On 12/06/2014 06:43 AM, Suvitar said:
I agree with Nephylim, they can´t cut the tree, Kayden needs his safe place :/
I wouldn't cut down the tree, because, you are all right, Kayden does need his safe place. It's just Arnett being a little annoyed, that's all. He's not really angry, and I think he understands that Kayden kinda needs the tree.
Link to comment
On 12/06/2014 06:56 AM, Valkyrie said:
I agree with the other reviewers. Don't cut down the tree! Poor Kayden. He's come a long way, but you've portrayed nicely that the long-term effects of abuse don't just go away after the abuse stops. Nice job. :)
Thank you. While Kayden is better and healing, he'll never be totally free of his past abuse. And yeah, I wouldn't cut down the tree; Kayden does need it as a refuge.
Link to comment

I am enjoying the "Neko Shorts" and I hope that you will continue with with your wonderful story. :rolleyes: As others have written - leave the tree alone.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Link to comment
On 12/06/2014 08:57 AM, philliph said:
I am enjoying the "Neko Shorts" and I hope that you will continue with with your wonderful story. :rolleyes: As others have written - leave the tree alone.

Thank you for sharing your story.

There will be no tree cutting, I promise! Thanks for the review. I'm glad you are enjoying the shorts.
Link to comment

I really enjoyed this one. It reminds us of how far Kayden has come and that there are some things that may never truly heal.

Link to comment

Kinda tickled that everyone was concerned about the tree! hahaha. Instead of the tree, how about getting rid of all the whips. Better idea. Thanks for another interesting short.

Link to comment
On 12/07/2014 04:32 AM, LadyDe said:
Kinda tickled that everyone was concerned about the tree! hahaha. Instead of the tree, how about getting rid of all the whips. Better idea. Thanks for another interesting short.
Very true! Hehe.
Link to comment
On 12/06/2014 11:18 AM, LitLover said:
I really enjoyed this one. It reminds us of how far Kayden has come and that there are some things that may never truly heal.
Exactly. Kayden will be a little more confident in the sequel as it happens several months (maybe a year) later than the first one, so he is growing, but he'll never forget the past either...
Link to comment
On 12/06/2014 09:55 AM, Gene63 said:
I really am enjoying the shorts!!! Kayden is adorable and I'm glad he's getting settled in!
Thank you! Glad you like them!
Link to comment
On 12/06/2014 09:43 AM, chrislucas191070 said:
Another fantastic short, glad to see you have no plans to cut the tree down :rolleyes:
Yeah, no tree cutting! Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks!
Link to comment
On 01/09/2015 05:48 AM, Rambling Robin said:
I really liked this one. Poor little Kayden.
That was one of the first ones I wrote. (they aren't posted necessarily in the order I wrote them, just in as close to sequential as possible). It's short, but it brings back into focus all of Kayden's fears. Thanks for the review, Robin!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..