Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 2,537 Words
  • 5,902 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

What No One Sees - 10. Chapter 10

Another nice, get to know each other chapter...:)

Chapter 10

 

Thx 4 coming with us again. C U soon.

Avery read the text from Matt again after his father had gone to bed. His father had actually seemed in a decent mood and had accepted Avery's bland recalling of the time at the movies and having lunch. His father's nearly indifferent interest in his foray out with Matt and Erin almost had Avery feeling a little wary--like the calm before the storm. His father hadn't even said anything when he saw that Avery had removed the leather arm braces his father was so fond of using and had rubbed ointment on his wrists.

Instead, his father had announced that they would be leaving Thursday, at the beginning of the winter Christmas break, to visit with William Degasio at his home.

"We were invited to visit," his father had stated, "It's good for business to smooze with the clients a bit."

Avery had nodded unenthusiastically; he'd hoped to be able to see Erin and Matt, well Matt at least, a few times over the break while his father was at work. He had figured he could slip out of the house and meet him without his father being aware of it. Maybe they'd only be gone a couple days and he'd still get the chance. Well, at least he still had Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday before they left.

Thanks for the great day, he texted back. And for the phone.

Of course. Get some sleep, it's late.

Avery smiled. He could just imagine Matt voice whispering next to him, and it brought him a peace he rarely felt at night. Goodnight.

He carefully started to put the phone away when it vibrated in his hand again.

Oh, I forgot. You left your shirt in the back of my car. I'll bring it with me Monday to coffee shop, if you want to drop by.

Shit, his shirt. He'd forgotten about that. Good thing Matt hadn't decided to bring it by--that would really have set his father off.

Ok. Thanks. Nite.

He slipped the phone into the bottom drawer, sliding under the covers, dreaming blissfully of gentle hands and woodsy scents.

 

@@@@

He'd met up with Matt at the coffee shop, sure that Matt just wanted to hand over his shirt. He figured Erin would be there too, but found only Matt waiting for him.

"Hey," Matt greeted as Avery took the seat next to him. "How's it going? Did your dad give you a hard time about the phone or anything?"

"No, he didn't say anything about it," Avery said, which technically was the truth since he didn't know anything about it. "And thank you again. It's really great of you to do that."

Matt made a show of stretching his arms over his head, before extending them across the back of the couch. "Oh, it's no big deal. Just enjoy it."

Avery almost smiled at the blatant attempt to get closer but ducked his head in embarrassment before Matt could see his face.

"So how was school today?" Matt asked.

"Fine. We didn't do much with the holiday coming up on Thursday. Just finishing up stuff and reviewing for exams next month."

Matt nodded, looking a little uncomfortable. Avery shifted, tucking a leg up under him, which subtly shifted him closer to Matt's side.

Matt cleared his throat. "Um, Avery, you know... well... I was thinking maybe, uh, maybe we could...like hang out sometimes."

Avery looked up at him shyly with the bright green eyes. "You'd want to hang out with me?"

Matt grinned at the surprised, hopeful expression on Avery's face. "Yeah," he said, and the arm draped behind Avery shifted so he could pat his shoulder, essentially allowing Matt to wrap his arm over the other boy's shoulders. "Yeah, I would. I like you, Avery."

Avery's little smiled peeked up at him. "I like you too, Matt. A lot."

And at that moment, Avery didn't care what it cost him; he was going to find time to meet with Matt as much as he could. His father could be damned.

 

@@@@

 

The next two days before the winter break, Avery couldn't wait to get out of school. Tuesday, he had met Matt (it was so nice to be calling him that now!) at the coffee shop again. They had taken up what he now considered to be their "usual" couch in the back. Fortunately, the coffee shop was one place that he was pretty sure his father would never come, just because he didn't care for coffee. So it was a pretty safe meeting place. Matt had sat in the corner of the couch, and Avery, under the pretense of wanting Matt to read over his English essay, had scooted closer, putting them hip to hip, thigh to thigh. He pretended not to notice when Matt's hand rested on his knee as he leaned forward to pick up his drink from the table.

Matt made him feel relaxed and happy for the first time in over six years. While sitting next to the hard, blond body, he forgot for a while what his life was really like. That maybe someone could actually care for him.

When Avery had to leave to get home on time, he felt his heart race when Matt's hand brushed over the back of his neck, gripping slightly in a tender gesture. Avery felt himself leaning in towards Matt, allowing his forehead to drop on the hard, sculpted chest. He could feel Matt's heart pounding, and he smiled slightly to himself. Something brushed across the top of his head, and he looked up to see a blush spreading across Matt's cheeks. Matt had quickly cleared his throat and stepped back, but Avery caught his hand and squeezed reassuringly as they'd said good-bye. It was the first moment that Avery felt himself really falling for the guy, more than just as a crush. And he knew, even if he got his heart broken when Matt left, that it would be worth it.

The next day, Wednesday, Avery received a text from Erin to meet her by the front doors after school, and Matt would pick them both up. Avery was a little disappointed that he wouldn't be alone with Matt, but Erin was the one other person that he'd maybe call a friend.

"Hey!" Erin greeted, as she ran up to him at the door.

Avery looked up and she pulled him out the double doors, quickly finding Matt parked in the parking lot.

"Matt, can you drop me at Shawna's?" Erin asked with a smile. "Her mom's taking us to the mall."

"Sure," he agreed, casting a glance at Avery.

After they dropped Matt's sister off at her friend's house, Matt drove to the park this time.

"I thought maybe we could go for a walk on the trails," Matt said. "It's not too cold today."

Avery smiled as they got out of the car, surprised when Matt held out his hand. Avery took it hesitantly, glancing around the park for people who might talk to his father. But the park was pretty empty right now, with kids running home, excited for the winter break and parents doing last minute shopping and rushing around for Christmas.

Matt started idle conversation--little get-to- know-you stuff, like favorite colors, TV shows, games, movies, any hobbies, and things like that.

"Okay, what's your favorite color?"

Avery smirked at him. "Black."

Matt laughed. "Okay, guess I saw that one coming."

"What's yours?" Avery returned.

Matt stopped and stared deep into Avery's emerald eyes. "Green."

Avery blushed shyly, glancing at the ground.

"What about food?" Matt continued casually.

Avery seemed to freeze, worried for a fraction of a second that Matt knew something. "What about it?"

"What's your favorite?" Matt encouraged the other teen to open up.

"Oh, um," Avery had to think. Anything but oatmeal or beans, he thought snidely. "Pizza, I guess."

"Hmm, mine too. Pepperoni and sausage?"

Avery shrugged. "Anything but anchovies." Although he'd probably put up with them if the other choice was the damn oatmeal.

"Okay, so what about TV? Any favorite shows?"

"I don't really watch much TV," Avery admitted, after Matt had announced he liked pretty much any SciFi or Action show--and the Big Bang Theory was pretty funny.

"Really?" Matt frowned. "Then what do you do when you aren't doing homework?"

Avery hedged. "Well, I have to help around the house a lot," he glanced off into the trees. "You know, laundry, ironing, vacuuming--"

Matt smiled, laughing, "Well, at least you'd help keep me from being a slob and letting our house get--"

Avery snapped a look at Matt, and they both froze, realizing what his words were implying. Matt coughed and glanced sheepishly at the ground.

"I'm sorry, I, uh, didn't mean..."

Avery saved him the embarrassment by touching his cheek. "It's okay. I can cook too."

Then they grinned at each other with silly smiles, laughed and continued walking.

"So besides being a good housekeeper, what else do you like to do?"

Avery shrugged. He didn't really do anything else, except attempt to avoid getting beat up by his father. "I don't know."

"No hobbies? Favorite game?"

He shrugged again, knowing Matt was looking for more. "I draw sometimes."

"Ah, yes, I remember seeing some of the doodles you did on the edges of your papers," Matt said. "They were pretty good."

"Thanks," Avery mumbled. He only drew when he wanted to escape. He had nothing else to really do. He supposed he could pull out that stupid DS from years ago--it had been a distraction for a couple years, but then he'd outgrown the games that he'd had, and of course hadn't gotten anymore. So paper and pencil had become his new best friend.

"So what are your plans for after you graduate?" Matt asked casually. "Are you really joining your dad's real estate business? Doesn't he want you to go to college first?"

Avery faltered in his step. He hadn't really thought that much about it. He figured his dad wouldn't let him go to college, and as much as Avery wanted to get away, he didn't think he'd survive on his own. His dad had said that he expected Avery to join him as a realtor, but his dad couldn't expect him to live with him forever, right?

He finally shrugged. "I don't know."

"You should go to college, explore your options a bit," Matt suggested.

"I don't think we can afford that right now," Avery mumbled.

"They do offer financial aid and scholarships," Matt said softly, not wanting to offend Avery by suggesting it. "Maybe you could even look into an Art scholarship."

"Oh, I don't know about that," Avery muttered shyly as they came near the exit to the park.

"Well, think about it," Matt encouraged. "I can get some information for you from the community college I go to. Maybe you can go there."

"With you?" Avery looked up in surprise at Matt.

"Well, yeah, why not?" Matt grinned. "Would that be okay, if I were that close?"

Avery blushed and glanced shyly at the ground. "Yeah, that would be pretty cool."

Matt laughed slightly at Avery's shyness before broaching the next subject. "So do you want to get together over the break sometime? I think mom is taking Erin skiing at some point..." Matt suggested.

"I don't know," Avery shook his head, and Matt looked a little disappointed. "I'd like to," he amended quickly, "but my dad says we have to go visit someone. I think we are leaving tomorrow, but I don't know how long I'll be gone."

"Oh," Matt seemed to sigh in relief that Avery wasn't just looking to blow him off. "Gotcha. Family trip."

"Yeah, something like that," Avery said.

"Okay, well, when you get back then," Matt added suggestively.

"Yeah, I'd like that," Avery smiled shyly.

"I start my new job at the vet clinic the Monday after New Years, the day you go back to school," Matt announced and it was Avery's turn to look disappointed, thinking maybe he wouldn't be able to see Matt anymore. "But I work like 6am to 3pm, so we could still meet after you get out of school. Would that be okay?"

The smile that lit up Avery's face melted Matt's heart. "Yeah, that would be great."

They'd made their way back to the car, and Avery noticed it was getting on to about five o'clock. He didn't want to risk Matt driving him home and his father seeing that he'd been out with someone. So he said he'd just walk home from here.

"It's actually quicker," Avery stated. "Since I can cut through the neighborhood."

"Oh, okay," Matt frowned. "You sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure," Avery said, still hovering next to Matt, but not sure why. They stared at each other for a few minutes, each seeming to try to think of what to say next, before Avery finally started to pull away.

As he turned, Matt caught his hand, tugging him back, and Avery swung around, nearly stumbling in to Matt's broad chest. He looked up into the bright blue eyes and nearly lost himself in them.

"I'm, uh, sor--" he stammered, one hand pressing against Matt's chest.

Suddenly, he felt two warm hands caressing his face, sliding down and feathering over his throat, thumbs gently ghosting under his chin and over his Adam's apple. He closed his eyes and just tried to breathe, catching the intoxicating scent of the woodsy-scented Axe aftershave that he associated with Matt.

When soft lips chastely, tentatively, press to his, Avery could have sworn his heart was going to pound out of his chest. He lifted slightly on his toes to meet the embrace. He heard a soft moan escape from Matt as he returned the kiss.

Avery felt the tip of Matt's tongue flick across his lips before he pulled away, smiling. Avery opened his eyes to see Matt grinning down at him, and Avery averted his eyes in embarrassment, wondering if Matt had enjoyed the kiss as much as he had.

Matt's forehead pressed against his, and Avery could feel his warm breath caressing his face. Avery sighed in contentment.

"You okay?" Matt whispered, placing a soft peck on his nose. "Was that okay?"

Avery nodded, not trusting his voice to work.

"Good," Matt said softly. "I've wanted to do that for a while."

Avery looked up at him in surprise. "Really?"

And Matt laughed at the utter look of shock on the boy's face. "Yeah, really."

Avery shifted self-consciously. "I, uh, probably need to get home," he murmured, stepping back. "My dad will be expecting me soon."

"Yes, of course," Matt cleared his throat. "Sure you don't want me to drive you?"

Avery turned and nearly seemed to skip away. "Yeah, I, uh, just..." he didn't seem to know what he wanted to say, so he just said the one thing he felt. "Thanks."

And he was so thankful that someone found that he was worth more than just as a punching bag or a hole to fuck.

Just a warning, the next two chapters are the tough reads as Carl takes Avery to Degasio's. You could 'skip' them if you don't want to be put through Avery torment, and just know that it was a bad trip for Avery.
Copyright © 2015 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I feel we're getting closer to Matt knocking down or at least weakening one of the walls around Avery that keep him from telling him what really goes on at home (or at least a hint of it).

Great Story.

Link to comment

This chapter was great, but it makes me sad. I feel happy for Avery, but at the same time I dread what I know is coming for him. It makes this chapter a little bittersweet. I can't wait until Matt finds out what is happening. Avery needs help to get away from his dad and Matt might be strong enough to help him do that.

Link to comment

Nice, nice, nice. Great to see Matt taking it slowly with Avery. He may not (intellectually) know everything going on, but instinctively he knows to not push Avery--and it's developing into quite the love story!

Hate the next two chapters, but this is a nice setup for what I hope will follow the trip--Matt's intercession to protect Avery from dipshit dad.

Link to comment

I knew something bad will happen soon DX Degasio has been giving me the creeps ever since he was first introduced. Finally a confession and a kiss! XD

Link to comment

AWESOME!! How could we skip anything you write?? So, we'll just break out the tissues and pass them around. :( And happily read on... :worship:

Link to comment

Very sweet...Ugg..I will of course read it but I hate to have to see hi go through hell. Too bad he doesn't bring the phone and phone Matt for help. gosh, if only he'd feel comfortable reaching out to him to escape this. He has to find it weird his father hadn't joined him in bed the few nights before. Can't wait for more though I have a feeling it will be tough reading. Maybe post them together so that we don't have to go through two days of the bad stuff? (not that I'm trying to pry more out of your hands lol)

Link to comment

Beautiful chapter, the kiss was perfectly described :) It's awesome to see Avery getting a little bit of a break, like the calm before the storm. I just hope the incoming storm - and the small spark of confidence Matt gives him - are enough to let him do what he has to (preferably murder 0:)) to escape his dad, or that Matt can save him.

Link to comment

I'm so glad that Matt and Avery got to spend some quality time together. Their first kiss was sublime. I know that Avery going to DeGrasio's house for the holiday is going to be an exercise in torment. I hope that he will be able to reach out to Matt when all is said and done.

Link to comment
On 01/14/2015 10:37 AM, ElleRachelle said:
I'm so glad that Matt and Avery got to spend some quality time together. Their first kiss was sublime. I know that Avery going to DeGrasio's house for the holiday is going to be an exercise in torment. I hope that he will be able to reach out to Matt when all is said and done.
Thank you! I think their first kiss was important as it shows that Avery is willing to start opening up to Matt, just unfortunately not before the trip to the client's house...
Link to comment
On 01/14/2015 08:15 AM, faxity said:
Beautiful chapter, the kiss was perfectly described :) It's awesome to see Avery getting a little bit of a break, like the calm before the storm. I just hope the incoming storm - and the small spark of confidence Matt gives him - are enough to let him do what he has to (preferably murder 0:)) to escape his dad, or that Matt can save him.
:D thanks! I think Matt was careful and cautious enough with Avery for him to accept that Matt was going to hurt him, and that's what Avery needs right now, someone he might be able to trust with all his secrets eventually.
Link to comment
On 01/14/2015 07:21 AM, Cannd said:
Very sweet...Ugg..I will of course read it but I hate to have to see hi go through hell. Too bad he doesn't bring the phone and phone Matt for help. gosh, if only he'd feel comfortable reaching out to him to escape this. He has to find it weird his father hadn't joined him in bed the few nights before. Can't wait for more though I have a feeling it will be tough reading. Maybe post them together so that we don't have to go through two days of the bad stuff? (not that I'm trying to pry more out of your hands lol)
Hehe, that's an idea. This was the calm before the storm as everyone says, so yes, it's going to get pretty bad--a new low for Avery, since he's only had to face his father's abuse. I promise it won't last much longer!
Link to comment
On 01/14/2015 06:20 AM, Onim said:
AWESOME!! How could we skip anything you write?? So, we'll just break out the tissues and pass them around. :( And happily read on... :worship:
Awww, thank you so much! I'll offer everyone some of my stacks of tissues--got three boxes on the table waiting...
Link to comment
On 01/14/2015 02:50 AM, AceKebabs said:
I knew something bad will happen soon DX Degasio has been giving me the creeps ever since he was first introduced. Finally a confession and a kiss! XD
Yep, it's the calm before the storm right now. At least, Avery got a little closer to Matt and they enjoyed a sweet moment, gives Avery something to hang on as he faces degasio. thanks for reviewing!
Link to comment
On 01/14/2015 01:20 AM, Robert Rex said:
Nice, nice, nice. Great to see Matt taking it slowly with Avery. He may not (intellectually) know everything going on, but instinctively he knows to not push Avery--and it's developing into quite the love story!

Hate the next two chapters, but this is a nice setup for what I hope will follow the trip--Matt's intercession to protect Avery from dipshit dad.

Exactly, Matt does sense Avery's skittishness, he just doesn't know yet what's caused it, and he's being very slow and careful not scare Avery off. And you're right, he's going to need Matt to help him get through this to move on...

Thanks for the review!

Link to comment
On 01/14/2015 01:03 AM, LitLover said:
This chapter was great, but it makes me sad. I feel happy for Avery, but at the same time I dread what I know is coming for him. It makes this chapter a little bittersweet. I can't wait until Matt finds out what is happening. Avery needs help to get away from his dad and Matt might be strong enough to help him do that.
Yes, it is a bit bittersweet in that sense. Avery feels so much hope with Matt right now, and we know his father's going crush it. Avery's definitely going to need Matt to help him heal if/when he finally escapes his father.

Thanks so much for the review.

Link to comment
On 01/14/2015 12:57 AM, Terry P said:
I feel we're getting closer to Matt knocking down or at least weakening one of the walls around Avery that keep him from telling him what really goes on at home (or at least a hint of it).

Great Story.

Yep, it's a slow knock down. It's like Matt's chipping away with a chisel against a wall of cinderblocks. He really needs a sledgehammer, but then that might scare Avery off...:)

Glad you are enjoying the story. Thanks for reviewing.

Link to comment

I agree with all your other readers; A&M's kiss was great. It was so sweet and innocent. I'm glad he's having such a good time with Matt and they're bonding pretty well. =)

 

I think Avery should take his phone on the trip (of course hide it), but he'll need it for sure. Maybe he'll feel brave enough to call 911. Hey! Matt should have put a GPS tracker in the phone - is that what they call it where he can track where Avery is? I have a feeling Avery's going to need Matt coming to his rescue during his time away.

Link to comment
On 01/14/2015 02:11 PM, Lisa said:
I agree with all your other readers; A&M's kiss was great. It was so sweet and innocent. I'm glad he's having such a good time with Matt and they're bonding pretty well. =)

 

I think Avery should take his phone on the trip (of course hide it), but he'll need it for sure. Maybe he'll feel brave enough to call 911. Hey! Matt should have put a GPS tracker in the phone - is that what they call it where he can track where Avery is? I have a feeling Avery's going to need Matt coming to his rescue during his time away.

:) Glad you liked this chapter!
Link to comment

I could almost forget the horror for a bit, but unfortunately I know what's coming. Truly beautiful chapter though...Cheers...G

Link to comment
On 02/18/2015 09:12 AM, Headstall said:
I could almost forget the horror for a bit, but unfortunately I know what's coming. Truly beautiful chapter though...Cheers...G
Thank you... a little bit of a reprieve
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..