Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 1,922 Words
  • 6,389 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

What No One Sees - 4. Chapter 4

Warning: scene of physical and sexual abuse

Chapter 4

 

"So, Avery," his dad's voice slid over him from behind him as he made his father's dinner of hamburger helper. Avery tensed as his father's hand crept to his neck, gripping it tightly. Wisely, he put the spatula down and turned off the stove before anything could splatter.

"Y-yes?" he stammered.

His dad's grip slid up his head to tighten in his hair before he yanked his head back. "I hear you're still grieving over your mother."

Oh, fuck, of course the school had called his dad.

"She left us, you little shit! She fucking fell in love with another man and left us!" he snapped, yanking his hair again. "You're an ungrateful bastard, you know that! With everything I do for you! Get your ass downstairs!"

Avery froze. Oh, God, no. No, no, no.

He felt himself shoved toward the basement door, stumbling before he recovered enough to try to fight.

"No, no, dad," he felt tears starting to form in his eyes, as he tried to dig in his heels on the slick linoleum. "I didn't mean... it was just a mistake--"

"I'll teach you a mistake!" he roared, dragging Avery down the stairs to the cold unfinished basement.

Avery tried to pull back as his father grabbed his thin arm and dragged him across the basement floor. But the slender teen could not match the strength of his father's bulk, he never had. His father's form towered over him by almost a foot as he grabbed the chain hanging from the middle of the basement ceiling, quickly snapping one of the rings of the leather brace on his wrist to the hook on the chain--and this was one of the times he hated these stupid things.

"Dad, no, please," he begged, which he knew better than to do. It only made his dad more excited, more angry, but he couldn't help it. His father grabbed his other wrist, no matter how much he flailed trying to keep it away from him, but still caught and snapped it in place with the other.

Avery felt one of the hot tears escape from the corner of his eye and leak down his cheek as he hung from the chain.

His father's hands drifted up under his shirt, raking his calloused fingers over his ribs. Avery could feel the cold air seeping across his bones as his shirt rode up his torso and over his head. His father tucked it behind his neck out of the way.

"Your school seems to think maybe I need to talk to you," his father stated, sliding his hand back down his ribs to the waistband of his jeans. "They are worried that maybe you need a little extra looove right now," he sneered.

Avery clamped his mouth shut, letting his head fall forward to use his hair to block his father's view. Nothing he said would do any good now anyway. He was so totally screwed.

As the button and zipper gave way on his jeans, Avery couldn't help but let a whimper escape.

"I'll make sure you get all the love you need. And we have all weekend now to 'talk' about what's bothering you," his father crooned, as his hands slid the jeans from his son's waist. "Now, don't we, son?"

Avery buried his chin in his chest, trying to hide his humiliation. Fuck.

 

@@@@

 

Damn, it was cold. Avery struggled again to unhook his wrists, but he couldn't get any leverage. He wondered how long his father would leave him down here this time. The blood and... other fluids... running down his legs didn't help any either.

When he coughed, he felt his ribs jar and winced at the sudden pain. He couldn't tell how many new bruises he had and just hoped he didn't have a broken rib. But damn if it didn't feel like it. Sniffling in the cold, he tried to relax his stiff shoulders.

It had to be near morning soon.

He heard footsteps above him, and for once, prayed that his father remembered him. Sometimes when his father was in one of these manic moods, it was hard to tell what he'd do next, and he usually hoped the man would just forget about him. As a chill raced through him again, he heard the basement door open and he sighed in relief.

"Hey, boy, good morning," his father greeted as if he weren't hanging naked from the ceiling. "I trust you feel better about missing your mother."

"Y-yes, s-sir," he stammered in the chill.

As his father released his arms, Avery dropped to the floor, unable to stand on his numb legs. Feeling rushed back into his arms with a painful tingling sensation. He groaned as he tried to stand and grab his jeans that had been discarded on the floor.

"Come on, son. You're looking a little thin there," his father teased. "Let's get something in that belly of yours."

Avery managed to pull his shirt from behind his head and back over his torso as he stumbled up the stairs behind his father. There was oatmeal sitting on the table, and Avery moved slowly to sit at the table. He hated oatmeal. It was practically all his father ever fed him. Since it was cheap and he could buy it in bulk and it not go bad, his father stocked up on it. That and canned beans. Kept them in the 'Avery' cabinet. Beans--for protein, his father said--and oatmeal. Yay.

His father kept the rest of the food locked in the pantry, and Avery knew his father kept a tight eye on what was in the refrigerator. He'd eaten leftovers once after school--he'd never made that mistake again. The only thing he was glad of was that his father did put money on his lunch account at the beginning of each school year. While it wasn't enough for a full meal every day--not if he wanted it to last the whole school year, he was able to get by most days without feeling too hungry.

Avery felt his stomach churn as he glanced at the chilling oatmeal again. He slowly crawled into the chair, his spine and abs aching, his thighs feeling gross from the bodily fluids. He wanted a shower badly, but he managed to gulp down the thick, pasty cereal first. At this point, he didn't care what it tasted like. And since he hadn't eaten since yesterday, he knew he had to take any food he could when it was offered.

By the time he finished, his father had disappeared into the living room. It being Saturday, he was already sprawled out on the couch watching TV with a beer in his hand. Avery was able to creep past him to the stairs and made it to the bathroom. He turned on the hot shower and let the heat warm his freezing body.

After dressing in his baggy black jeans and layering a long sleeve t-shirt and sweatshirt, he gathered up his laundry to throw in the washer. A headache washed over him as he leaned over to pick up the detergent.

He finally got the washer running and returned to hide in his room. He crawled on his bed, pulling his ratty spiral notebook and a pencil with him. With his knees pulled up and the notebook relaxed on them, he let his pencil drift over the page, trying to escape the horror of the previous night. A half hour later, he saw familiar eyes staring at him from the page, a quirk in the lips. He blinked, not realizing he had drawn anything in particular--sometimes it was just shading boxes and lines. If he'd had a blue colored pencil, the drawing would be perfect.

"Avery!"

Crap. He tossed the notebook on the floor and hesitantly headed for the stairs. "Yes, sir?"

"We're out of beer," his father announced. "We need to go to the store."

So, go without me, you bastard. But Avery stepped heavily down the stairs. He knew his father liked dragging him to the stores where the neighbors and the rest of the town could see them as a bonding father and son, and him as an upstanding family man.

His father stepped by him on the stairs to change. Avery leaned against the wall in the foyer as he waited.

He heard his father on his phone before he came down the stairs.

"Of course, William," his father's pleasantly deep voice assured. "The property will be up for sale soon, and the Council will be voting on changing the zoning designation after the new year... Any chance of a deposit--?.... Yes, I understand. ... We'll get together later this week." He cast a quick glance at his son. "I have an offer for you that you might find interesting in the mean time. We can discuss it when we get together."

His father hung up as he reappeared in a polo shirt, khakis and loafers, and Avery barely managed to keep from rolling his eyes.

The grocery store was always the same--people would smile and wave at him and his father, his father would drape his arm protectively over his shoulder and greet them cordially. Avery kept a smile plastered on his face every time his father touched him. People saw what they wanted to see--the devoted father. No one ever saw the real man behind the facade.

"Hey, Carl!" someone called as his father picked out some ground beef. "How's the business going?"

Avery saw a flicker of worry cross his father's face before he plastered on a gracious smile. "Slow right now, Phil. But hoping for it to pick up soon. Working on a couple deals to bring in a little extra cash soon."

Avery frowned, but shrugged and turned to pick up his father's favorite pork chops. His father never spent any more money than he absolutely had to on his son, but Avery hadn't realized that his father might actually be hurting a little for money for himself recently. The man had always shown off how well he was doing in his clothes and dinners with clients and such.

Phil had grinned and patted Carl on the back. "Sounds good. Good Luck."

As his father waved at Phil, he pulled the pork chops back out of the cart and grabbed a cheaper cut. "No, get these. They're cheaper."

Avery noticed he got a package with only two cuts of meat, which he knew meant he wasn't getting any. Big surprise.

"Hi, Mr. Greene," one of his classmates greeted as he worked on stocking the shelves. Everyone seemed to know his father. Everyone thought he was so charming. Avery wanted to gag.

"Hello, Brice, how is your mom and dad?" Avery watched his father's congenial grin cause Brice to warm and smile back shyly.

"They're good. Thank you, sir. I hope you and, uh," the boy seemed to struggle to remember his name and Avery just rolled his eyes, trying to turn away. "Oh, uh, Avery are doing well."

He felt his father's arm wrap around him in a warm fatherly squeeze, and Avery forced his smile and leaned into his father's hug. "We're doing great. Thanks for asking."

Avery was grateful when the shopping trip was over. It was so strange to try to reconcile the personable, well-liked man everyone else saw with the one who... hurt... him in their home.

Copyright © 2015 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Sad 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another heartbreaking chapter. It's amazing how blind people can be. :( Can't wait for things to get better, it can't happen fast enough.

I think I would just shoot his father right between his eyes if I could.

Link to comment

Just kept thinking, "Avery, grab the skillet and slam your dad with it!"....but that can't happen, not when you're beaten down as much as he is now. All I can do now to keep from crying before I'm half way through the chapter!

Bring on the calvary! NOW!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/08/2015 04:23 AM, Robert Rex said:
Just kept thinking, "Avery, grab the skillet and slam your dad with it!"....but that can't happen, not when you're beaten down as much as he is now. All I can do now to keep from crying before I'm half way through the chapter!

Bring on the calvary! NOW!

Hehe, that would have been nice, but yeah, a bit out of character for Avery right now.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/08/2015 04:21 AM, Morgana_lefay said:
Another heartbreaking chapter. It's amazing how blind people can be. :( Can't wait for things to get better, it can't happen fast enough.

I think I would just shoot his father right between his eyes if I could.

I think most would agree with you about dealing with Avery's father. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

As horrible as the chains in the basement are, I can't help feeling a little glad that they're there; they're easy evidence against that bastard, and they can't be brushed off as an 'accident' like bruises can. Calling the police seems unlikely for Avery to do, but if someone else gives him the courage, or does it themselves, the chains will be helpful - not that I really want his dad to get arrested :evil:. He seems to be thinking about pimping Avery out to get out of his financial situation, so any punishment the law could give him wouldn't be nearly enough.

I'm not gonna rant about Avery's dad too much (I'll just daydream about painful ways for him to die :whistle:), so I'll cut it off there :lol:. This was an engaging, if depressing, chapter. It's interesting to see that Avery was subconsciously thinking about Matt while drawing; the attempt to get through to him must have worked more than he let on... hopefully Avery will be a little more receptive next time Matt approaches him :)

Link to comment
On 01/08/2015 08:10 AM, faxity said:
As horrible as the chains in the basement are, I can't help feeling a little glad that they're there; they're easy evidence against that bastard, and they can't be brushed off as an 'accident' like bruises can. Calling the police seems unlikely for Avery to do, but if someone else gives him the courage, or does it themselves, the chains will be helpful - not that I really want his dad to get arrested :evil:. He seems to be thinking about pimping Avery out to get out of his financial situation, so any punishment the law could give him wouldn't be nearly enough.

I'm not gonna rant about Avery's dad too much (I'll just daydream about painful ways for him to die :whistle:), so I'll cut it off there :lol:. This was an engaging, if depressing, chapter. It's interesting to see that Avery was subconsciously thinking about Matt while drawing; the attempt to get through to him must have worked more than he let on... hopefully Avery will be a little more receptive next time Matt approaches him :)

You are very perceptive as to what might be coming! hehe
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Isn't it strange that that the school admin is not more tuned to the matter of emotional and physical abuse. My heart goes out to those like Avery who must suffer as others turn the other way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/08/2015 08:21 AM, Napaguy said:
Isn't it strange that that the school admin is not more tuned to the matter of emotional and physical abuse. My heart goes out to those like Avery who must suffer as others turn the other way.
Yeah, I think Elementary schools are a little better about it as they usually have a smaller population. As they get into middle and high school, with larger numbers of students, I think things slip by. And Avery would have been in 6th grade (middle school here, anyway) shortly after his mother left when the abuse started, so he's one of those that managed to slip through the system.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

This is hard to read, but I am glad you wrote this story. Maybe, just maybe someone who reads this (or another story like it) will look a little closer at people around them and see something that might help a real life Avery, even just as a person to talk to. My vote for Avery's dad (if you're taking votes

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I wish there was a choice for "Like the writing but am an emotional wreck from the story". I almost couldn't click "Like" with this chapter even though the story is engaging and though-provoking. Like many others, I want something unimaginably horrible to befall the father. I'm glad that you started the story with Avery coming back to the town after clearly having made it out alive and presumably intact (or at least reasonably so). I also like that he was drawing Matt. I just hope Matt gets through to him before the pimping begins (assuming we are reading that possibility correctly).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/08/2015 01:48 PM, LitLover said:
This is hard to read, but I am glad you wrote this story. Maybe, just maybe someone who reads this (or another story like it) will look a little closer at people around them and see something that might help a real life Avery, even just as a person to talk to. My vote for Avery's dad (if you're taking votes
That would be my hope. And yeah, I'm sure I'll have lots of suggestions for Avery's dad's demise. Thanks for reviewing!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/08/2015 02:55 PM, Fantasyboy69 said:
Where is a certain captain's son when you need him?
Hehehehe. Too bad Gabe can't be there to take care of Avery's dad! Or even Ryle with his claws!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/09/2015 08:14 AM, hillj69 said:
I wish there was a choice for "Like the writing but am an emotional wreck from the story". I almost couldn't click "Like" with this chapter even though the story is engaging and though-provoking. Like many others, I want something unimaginably horrible to befall the father. I'm glad that you started the story with Avery coming back to the town after clearly having made it out alive and presumably intact (or at least reasonably so). I also like that he was drawing Matt. I just hope Matt gets through to him before the pimping begins (assuming we are reading that possibility correctly).
Yes, you are reading that possibility correctly. Basically, Avery's almost 18 and I think his dad knows he could lose Avery as he 'becomes an adult' and that possibility scares Carl. He has set things in motion to keep Avery from every being free...well, I won't say much more, but yeah, you all are catching on to Carl's plans.

 

Also, I totally understand the "like" thing. I get that a "like" doesn't necessarily mean you like what happened in the story, but that you are commenting on how it was written--especially with this story. I feel the same way when I tell someone to continue to 'enjoy the story', because I know it's not really the subject they are enjoying but the unfolding and telling a story of a difficult subject and how it is portrayed. I hope that makes sense.

 

So thank you very much for 'liking' the chapters and reviewing as well! I really appreciate it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I was totally disgusted with Avery's sperm donor before, but NOW, since he's thinking of pimping out Avery...may he get caught, land in the big house, and become Big Bubba's bitch.

 

Avery has to plaster on a smile so he doesn't get in trouble with the guy and I bet all he wants to do is shout out for help.

 

Ok, on to chapter five.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/10/2015 03:06 PM, Lisa said:
I was totally disgusted with Avery's sperm donor before, but NOW, since he's thinking of pimping out Avery...may he get caught, land in the big house, and become Big Bubba's bitch.

 

Avery has to plaster on a smile so he doesn't get in trouble with the guy and I bet all he wants to do is shout out for help.

 

Ok, on to chapter five.

exactly!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

That was difficult. I should be writing, but I had to keep going. I hate that man sooo much. I could picture Avery hanging all night in the basement after that sick, brutal and twisted assault. You paint a skillful but horrifying picture. The thought of the oatmeal made me want to gag. Cheers...Gary

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/13/2015 03:48 PM, Headstall said:
That was difficult. I should be writing, but I had to keep going. I hate that man sooo much. I could picture Avery hanging all night in the basement after that sick, brutal and twisted assault. You paint a skillful but horrifying picture. The thought of the oatmeal made me want to gag. Cheers...Gary
Tough one for me too, because I love to hear your opinions, but I want you to write more too! Thanks for hanging in there! :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..