Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 3,062 Words
  • 5,936 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

What No One Sees - 8. Chapter 8

Warning: sexual abuse (flashback scene), if you want to skip it, jump over the part in the italics.

Chapter 8

 

The next evening as Avery was preparing his father's dinner, the house phone rang abruptly. It so seldom rang that the noise startled him into dropping the spoon he was stirring with.

"Hello?" he heard his father answer, pausing to listen to the caller. "Erin?... Hmm, no, Avery didn't mention anything about this weekend..."

Avery closed his eyes as his heart started to race. Shit.

"Ahh, I see...for a movie and shopping..." his father continued. "Well, I think that might be feasible..."

Avery's eyes snapped open in shock. His father was actually going to agree?

He heard the click of the phone and his father's footsteps as he quickly returned to stirring the stew he'd made.

"Well," his father drawled, "a girl named Erin just asked if she and her brother could take you with them to the mall for a movie and Christmas shopping."

Avery wasn't sure what to say so he kept quietly stirring the thick soup.

"I didn't know you had a girlfriend," his father's voice said sickeningly sweetly.

"I don't!" Avery snapped quickly. "She's just Ma--uh, Mr. Andrews's sister. I met her in tutoring."

"She seems to like you, to call and ask you to come to the mall with her."

Avery just shrugged unsure of where his father's train of thought was going. "She's just being friendly."

He felt his father step up behind him, his breath ghosting over his neck. "Sooo, when were you going to ask? Or were you just going to sneak off?"

"NO!" Avery snapped in horror that his father thought he'd disobey. He'd learned that lesson long ago. "No, I didn't think you'd let me go, so I was just going to tell them I couldn't go."

"I see," his father breathed across his neck, his fingers sliding up through the long feathery strands at the back of his neck. "Would you like to go?"

Shit. Avery tensed. This had to be a trick. If he said no, his dad would know he was lying. "Y-yes, sir. I would."

For several long seconds, his father said nothing and Avery felt like his heart was going to beat right though his chest. Then suddenly, his dad let him go with a chuckle.

"Okay, you can go," he said and Avery whipped around in shock. "Don't be so surprised, son. But, in return, you will owe me a favor."

Of course there would be a catch, Avery sighed. "What favor?" Briefly, Avery feared what the payment for the day out might be, but then again what could be any worse than anything his father had already done?

His father pulled off his tie. "I'll let you know when the time comes to pay up."

He felt his father's hands slide up his arms and reach around him to turn off the stove.

"You know, I remember our first Christmas a few years ago after your mom left..." his dad said as his hands landed on his bony hips.

Yeah, Avery thought, so did he. How could he possibly fucking forget. He'd hated Christmas since then.

 

 

"Averyyyy, boy, come on, up here. Your daddy needs a hug," his father called.

Avery looked up from his spot on the floor at the foot of his father's bed. They were watching Charlie Brown Christmas together, like they did every year. It almost seemed like a normal Christmas, even if it was their first one without his mother. His father had finally been in a good mood today.

So he eagerly crawled up on his father's big bed and snuggled in to him, excited to keep his father's good mood going. Avery could smell the beer on his father's breath, and the heavily lidded gaze told him that his father had had a few beers this evening. It was nothing new, especially after mom had left them a couple months ago. He felt his father sigh heavily next to him. His father had been in such a bad mood the last few months that he had almost been afraid of his father. He yelled so much more, and a couple times his daddy had pushed him so hard that he'd fallen down.

But today, his daddy seemed happier, probably because of the many drinks that he'd had today, but it didn't matter. He'd missed his dad's hugs, his mom's too, but he tried not to talk about her as it made daddy madder.

"Did you like your new DS Game?" his father asked, as he curled Avery closer to him.

"Of course, daddy. Thank you," Avery smiled up at his father.

His father's hand roamed over his arm, snaking to his small belly and sliding up under the shirt of his pjs. He giggled, squirming under his father's fingers as they tickled.

He wriggled as his father laughed with him. Then settled against his father's side again, focusing back on the TV. Charlie Brown was just picking out the sad looking little tree.

"You know, big kids usually don't wear pajama tops," his dad mused. Avery frowned glancing at his father's bare hairy chest. He hadn't really thought about it much, but his dad didn't usually wear anything but boxers to bed. "Do you think you'd like sleep like daddy?"

His bangs fell across his eyes as he thought. They'd gotten longer since mom had left a few months ago, and dad hadn't bothered to take him to get it cut. Abruptly, he yanked off the pajama top, smiling at the approving grin from his father.

He shivered slightly. "Don't you get cold?"

His dad wrapped his arms around his slender body. "Don't worry. I'll keep you warm."

Avery shivered again as his father rolled to his side next to him, pressing his large body next to him. His father rubbed his hands over his torso and over his hips. Avery felt a little annoyed by his father's hands distracting him from the TV show. "Dad..."

"You know," his father murmured against his ear, "you have your mother's eyes, and beautiful skin like your mother," his father pressed his lips against his forehead. "You know with your mom gone, I need your help around here. You're eleven years old. You can help with some of the things your mom used to do."

"Uh, sure," Avery stammered, unsure of exactly how he could help. "I cleaned my room," he said helpfully, frowning while he thought. "Mom used to do laundry. I could learn."

His father grinned down at him. "That's my good boy."

Avery glanced up to see his father's heavy gaze staring at him strangely. He started to squirm in his father's embrace, but the arm around his back tightened and his father's body rolled even more to pin him down.

"Dad, I--" Avery started, but then felt his father's hand slip under the elastic band of his pajama bottoms and his underwear. The hand ghosted over groin, and Avery let out a cry of pain, attempting to arch away. "Dad! Stop!"

This only served to cause his father to tighten his grip, as Avery tried to use his arm to push against his father's massive chest. His father's leg wrapped over his, pinning him to the mattress. His father pressed lips against Avery's and Avery shook his head to free himself.

"NO!" Avery yelled, attempting to hit his father. "Dad! Stop! Stop! You're hurting me!"

A look of rage crossed his father's features as he snapped around, sitting across Avery's slight hips, pinning his tiny wrists with one massive hand and roughly gripping his chin with the other. "Shut up, boy! You will do as I say!"

"But--!" Avery started, but suddenly a sharp pain exploded in his head as his father backhanded the side of his jaw. Avery saw white spots floating in his vision and groaned.

Avery was unaware of much that happened after that. He knew he was on his stomach, barely able to breathe. Pain and terror obliterated his thoughts.

"Stop moving!" his father snapped, pressing a hand on the back of his neck, cutting off some air from his rapid breathing.

Between the pain and lack of air, Avery felt his body weaken under his father's assault. His father pressed into his body over and over, causing his stomach to cramp and his back to ache as well. It stung so bad that he was barely aware when his father had stopped. An odd wet warmth stained his legs and the bed, and a coppery scent mixed with his father's rank beer breath and sweat.

Avery didn't think he could move, with the pain in his backside and spine, but he wanted nothing more than to get away to his own room.

But his father wrapped his arm around him and pulled him close, whispering in his ear. "Merry Christmas, son."

Avery turned to bury his face in the pillows, wishing away the humiliation and pain as he heard the Charlie Brown characters wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

He'd laid bleeding next to his father for hours until his father finally rolled off of him in his sleep and he could escape to the bathroom. He'd sat in the tub of the bathroom with his arms wrapped around his knees, crying while the warm water of the shower washed over him.

 

 

He'd hated Christmas after that, and he couldn't stand that stupid Charlie Brown Christmas show. He'd never played that DS game after that either.

Christmas had never been anything more than a reminder that his mother had left him at the mercy of his father. Holidays meant nothing more to him than any other day anymore.

His father had tried at first to buy him gifts after he'd hurt him like that, sometimes saying he was sorry. But when he'd thrown one of the stupid presents back at him, yelling that he hated him, that had been the end of any gifts--and instead his father had resorted to his fists and belts to maintain his control.

It had taken him a long time to understand that his father had taken to using Avery to take out his anger of his wife leaving. It was as if he had to control something, since he couldn't control Alina leaving, he could control her son.

It didn't take long for Avery to realize that his father began hording his money, especially when he'd had to beg for clothes because he'd out grown them. His father had said he'd have to "earn his keep" to get food or new clothes. His father's miserly hold over their household helped the man maintain his image of the perfect father and businessman.

 

@@@@

 

By the time Friday came around, Matt was anxious for the end of his teaching practicum. As much as he had enjoyed teaching, he realized it wasn't really what he wanted to do. He'd become too involved in worrying over individual students, Avery being the most, but others who struggled as well. Mr. Sikes had grinned at his struggle to reconcile the fact that he couldn't help everyone--only the ones who asked for it.

But that hadn't set well with Matt and he knew if he continued in the teaching field it would eventually eat at him if he knew there were kids out there that were struggling and he couldn't help them.

So he had been hugged by most of the girls and waved at by some of the boys, but in the end, he wished them all well, saying he'd see them around town. Avery had eyed him from the back of the room warily the entire period. He seemed worried, and Matt wasn't sure why. When Avery escaped the class with just a little wave, Matt began to become concerned that something was wrong.

As he waited by his car at the end of the day for Erin, he couldn't help but scan the crowd for the dark-haired figure. When Erin bounded up to his car, waving at her friends who had to take the bus and texting on her phone at the same time, he'd given up trying to spot him.

"I'm ready," she said, jumping in the car.

"Okay," he said, casting one more glance at the school before climbing into the car.

"Hey, Matt," Erin said softly, having watched his gaze.

"Yeah?"

"It'll be okay," she said, sounding suddenly really grown up.

He startled and stared at her. "What do you mean?"

"He likes you," she said.

"Who?" Matt pretended he didn't know what she was talking about.

"Avery, you idiot," she said. "You don't have to be his teacher anymore. You can just be his friend. He needs one."

Matt smiled at his sister. "Hey, how do you feel about a coffee?"

She grinned widely. "I'd love one!"

A few minutes later, they took over the love seat and cushy chair next to the fireplace in the quaint coffee shop. Erin pulled out her homework to complete. There were still three days of school before the Christmas break, and she wanted to get the English essay done so she didn't have to worry about it later. Of course, it sucked that they couldn't have just had the whole week off; she and her friends had complained endlessly how stupid it seemed to go for just the three days before being off for the break. They had reasoned it must be the parents who'd wanted more shopping days before the holiday.

She looked up as the chime rang on the door. She broke into a wide grin at the figure hovering at the door, casting a glance at her brother.

"Avery!" she waved, startling the teen. "Over here!"

Matt turned to see the boy making his way over to them. He was surprised to see a police officer following the boy in. But the man was smiling as he continued in behind Avery, heading toward the counter.

"Meeting friends?" Matt heard the officer ask as he smiled at Avery.

The shy kid just shrugged a bit, as the officer patted his back. Matt would have sworn he saw the boy grimace.

"Hi, Avery," Matt greeted. "Who's that?"

"Hi, Mr. Andrews," Avery returned. "That's Sheriff Nelson."

"Oh, none of that!" Erin chastised. "He's not your teacher anymore! Call him Matt."

Avery glanced at his blond dream, silently asking the question if it was okay, even if he'd been doing it in his head for a couple weeks now.

"Yeah, Avery. I'm just Matt now," Matt smiled.

"Really?" Avery cracked a small smile.

"Yeah, really," Matt chuckled. "Have a seat. I'll get you your mocha and maybe a scone?"

The smile that greeted him from under the mop of black bangs warmed his heart. "Sure, thanks."

Matt patted Avery's leg after he sat down, rising to get the drink and treat. Yeah, this was definitely looking better.

While he was waiting for the drink to be ready, the sheriff nodded a greeting. "Hi, I'm Travis Nelson. I see you know Avery."

"Yeah, Matt Andrews," he shook the sheriff's hand. "Nice to meet you."

"New in town?"

Matt smiled. Of course the officer would be familiar with most of the town's residents, especially a small town like Euphoria. "Actually, I'm back with my mom and sister, Mary and Erin Andrews. I moved away and lived with my aunt for the last four years."

At the curious raised eyebrow of the officer, Matt continued. "My stepfather and I didn't exactly get along after he found out I was gay."

"Oh." And Matt watched the man's face for any sign of hate or bigotry, and was relieved when he saw only concern. "I heard he passed away earlier this year. Your stepdad didn't hurt you, did he?"

Matt smiled at the man's genuine concern. "Not physically. Just words. I figured I'd get out before it came to that. Mom had tried to smooth it over, but there was always that animosity hanging over the house. Mom let me move in with my aunt, a couple towns over."

Travis Nelson smiled and nodded. "Good. You shouldn't have to put up with that. So, you're back with your mom now?"

"Yeah, I've got a job at the Vet Clinic starting after the holidays, gonna look for an apartment around here."

"Great!" the warm smile made Matt feel welcome. "It'll be good seeing you around."

And the sheriff grabbed his coffee, nodding his goodbyes. Matt waved as he waited for Avery's drink to be ready.

When he returned to the couch, he nearly dropped the coffee at the question he heard his sister asking the boy.

"... you like girls or maybe guys, like my brother?" Erin was grinning like a banshee. Oh, shit, what was she thinking?

Fortunately, Avery couldn't see that Matt was coming back, but he was pretty sure the boy was blushing like crazy. He started forward, thinking Avery would never answer such a bold question, but apparently Avery was used to Erin's domineering personality.

"I like guys," came the soft reply, barely a whisper.

Erin was smiling at him and leaned closer to the older teen. "Do you like my brother?"

And Matt shot her a vicious glare over the boy's shoulder, trying to warn her off.

Avery shifted on the couch, pulling a leg up in front of him, nearly hiding his face in his knee. "He's okay."

"Just okay?"

And Erin saw the green eyes peek up at her from under the ebony bangs, the tiniest of smiles lighting his eyes. "Maybe a little more than okay."

"Hey!" Matt called as if he had just arrived, "Here's coffee." He set the cup on the table in front of Avery, ignoring the way that Avery avoided his gaze and how red his face was.

"So, you still want to go to the movie and shopping tomorrow?" Matt asked, settling carefully next to Avery on the couch.

"Yeah, sure," Avery said, finally getting the nerve up to turn to face Matt again. "That would be fun."

"Good, we'll pick you up about noon then."

"Okay," Avery said, and his stomach growled at the smell of the delicious scone. He flushed again in embarrassment. "Sorry."

Matt laughed. "Don't be sorry. Just eat. And then you guys can keep working on homework."

Copyright © 2015 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This chapter was a hard read. Christmas should have been a great time for Avery, but his dad being the selfish prick had to ruin it. I wish that donor would hurry and get what he deserves.o yeah

Now on to the sheriff. How can he be so blind to Avery's situation. He seems to notice Matt right away.

Link to comment
On 01/12/2015 06:59 AM, lmoline said:
This chapter was a hard read. Christmas should have been a great time for Avery, but his dad being the selfish prick had to ruin it. I wish that donor would hurry and get what he deserves.o yeah

Now on to the sheriff. How can he be so blind to Avery's situation. He seems to notice Matt right away.

Yes, I knew it would be a hard chapter, hence the warning. I think it's the hardest one because Avery is so young and trusting. Well, Matt admitted that he had problems with his step-father, whereas all Nelson has seen of Avery is that he's always been a shy, skittish goth-like kid. (Nelson wasn't around when the mom left, coming to Euphoria only a couple years ago). Thanks for reading and reviewing! I appreciate the comments!
Link to comment

Memories of such abuse will be a difficult recovery regardless of when or how they are dealt with I. The future. The coffee shop meeting gives hope for the future.

Link to comment

what kinda sick fuck could do that to a kid? I know lots do. how you could take that sweet adoration and turn it into horror.

it was good to see the cop is good and wants to protect kids. hopefully that will help in a while. erin is so cute and mischevious. what a great help. that was a cute scene. good to see him eat too. what' s up with that oatmeal shit. he doesn't even take basic care of the kid. what a horror show. I hope you get him out soon. I love your stories but I want this kid out of this. we can get him out of that house and then go into how they move in together and go forward and heal? please

Link to comment

The sheriff seemed to take a real liking to Matt. Avery better stake his claim on Matt before the sheriff does. lol

 

Of course you know I think it's horrible what the sperm donor is doing to Avery, and learning that this all started the year after Avery's mom left, when Avery still loved that person and trusted him to take care of him and keep him safe, and tainting all Avery's Christmases from now on and betraying Avery's eleven-year-old trust and love is unforgivable. Everything the sperm donor has been doing is unforgivable. But this has been going on for SIX YEARS!!!!!

 

I'm surprised he let Avery go to the mall with Erin and Matt. Of course he'll make Avery pay later for his "kindness". But as Avery said, what other horrible things could he do to him that he hasn't done already? It's bad enough when the sperm donor abuses him, wait until he starts pimping Avery out.

 

I want Erin and Matt to start fattening Avery up and making him stronger so he could at least lift a frying pan and smash it over the sperm donor's head. :devil:

Link to comment
On 01/12/2015 12:05 PM, Lisa said:
The sheriff seemed to take a real liking to Matt. Avery better stake his claim on Matt before the sheriff does. lol

 

Of course you know I think it's horrible what the sperm donor is doing to Avery, and learning that this all started the year after Avery's mom left, when Avery still loved that person and trusted him to take care of him and keep him safe, and tainting all Avery's Christmases from now on and betraying Avery's eleven-year-old trust and love is unforgivable. Everything the sperm donor has been doing is unforgivable. But this has been going on for SIX YEARS!!!!!

 

I'm surprised he let Avery go to the mall with Erin and Matt. Of course he'll make Avery pay later for his "kindness". But as Avery said, what other horrible things could he do to him that he hasn't done already? It's bad enough when the sperm donor abuses him, wait until he starts pimping Avery out.

 

I want Erin and Matt to start fattening Avery up and making him stronger so he could at least lift a frying pan and smash it over the sperm donor's head. :devil:

Yeah, the pimping him out to Delgasio isn't something Avery figured on yet--so yeah, he doesn't realize it can actually get worse...unfortunately. I like the little devil icon, hehe!
Link to comment
On 01/12/2015 09:22 AM, Cannd said:
what kinda sick fuck could do that to a kid? I know lots do. how you could take that sweet adoration and turn it into horror.

it was good to see the cop is good and wants to protect kids. hopefully that will help in a while. erin is so cute and mischevious. what a great help. that was a cute scene. good to see him eat too. what' s up with that oatmeal shit. he doesn't even take basic care of the kid. what a horror show. I hope you get him out soon. I love your stories but I want this kid out of this. we can get him out of that house and then go into how they move in together and go forward and heal? please

I think the fact that it can (and does) happen is what makes this story so much harder to read. Yeah, dad figures oatmeal and beans are filling enough (protein and carbs) and cheap enough to keep Avery going. At least, Avery can actually get a meal at school--his father did put a certain amount on his lunch account so no one wonders why Avery doesn't eat. Avery just has to be careful not to use up all the money on it too fast--since dear old dad wouldn't add more. I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't tell you if/when he gets out ;)
Link to comment
On 01/12/2015 07:20 AM, Napaguy said:
Memories of such abuse will be a difficult recovery regardless of when or how they are dealt with I. The future. The coffee shop meeting gives hope for the future.
Yes, he will definitely need plenty of therapy to deal with it. There is no instant fix here, no instant HEA. Even with Matt, he'd be slow to accept any sexual relations I would think. Thanks for reviewing and commenting!
Link to comment

Aww, I love the scene with Erin and Avery! :D Erin seems like the type of family that Avery should have, as opposed to that douchebag of a father he has to deal with. I wish Avery and Brad could have traded dads, so those two could have tortured each other for a while and Avery could learn what an actual dad is like :D

Link to comment
On 01/12/2015 02:53 PM, faxity said:
Aww, I love the scene with Erin and Avery! :D Erin seems like the type of family that Avery should have, as opposed to that douchebag of a father he has to deal with. I wish Avery and Brad could have traded dads, so those two could have tortured each other for a while and Avery could learn what an actual dad is like :D
I like Erin and I think she's good for Avery to see as such a carefree person. Seeing Matt and Erin together allows him to see what a real family should be like.
Link to comment

11 years old! OMG... the cruelty is overwhelming. Matt and Erin are like bright shining lights in this chapter...Cheers...Gary

Link to comment
On 02/18/2015 04:50 AM, Headstall said:
11 years old! OMG... the cruelty is overwhelming. Matt and Erin are like bright shining lights in this chapter...Cheers...Gary
Matt and Erin are the only light right now in Avery's life... Thanks reading and reviewing!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..