Jump to content
    Cynus
  • Author
  • 1,041 Words
  • 1,148 Views
  • 14 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

At the End of the Day - 1. Death and Dawn

div>
Check out my Patreon for early access to chapters(note:everything started at GA will be released in full at a regular pace. This is early access only, not exclusive access) and exclusive content! https://www.patreon.com/Cynus

At the end of the day, it’s the silence that gets to me. It’s when I whisper into the darkness and realize that no one is going to respond. There is profound emptiness in that silence, reminding me of the cavernous expanse of my own soul.

I try calling to him every now and then. I try calling to him, and the rest; all of those that I’ve lost. There is never a response, just an echoing of my own cry as it reverberates endlessly through the void of my memory. I cry at the top of my lungs, but it makes no difference. There is no answer, no one to tell me that I’m not alone.

It’s difficult not to feel abandoned. Didn’t he make the choice to get on that motorcycle? Didn’t he make the choice to leave me, even though he promised he’d be back? Why can’t I move on? Is it because I can’t forgive him? Is my anger and blame for his choice holding me back from accepting that it’s over?

So many years have passed, but I still long to hold him again. I still long for that shared sense of purpose that I derived from our long conversations, which started in the twilight hours of the evening of sometimes extended through the night as we made clear to each other our deepest thoughts, desires, and fears. There were no secrets between us. There was never a moment where I doubted his devotion, or doubted my place at his side. I imagine that should our existence be blessed with an afterlife, I will once again look into those enticing green eyes and know once again that I belong with him.

He was everything to me. With him I was always full; he understood my heart and he loved my soul as I loved his. We wanted nothing more than to live a long life together in peace, free from the oppression of our youth. We were born into a culture that could not understand us, and by some profound fortune we found each other, and for the first time I knew that I could survive; for the first time I knew that I could do great things, and I would do them with him.

And then, in a matter of seconds everything changed. In an instant his beautiful light was shattered and stolen, and a piece of me was lost forever with it. There are times where the memory of his death comes back to me, a haunting apparition of what could have been. It makes me want to blame not only him, but myself for not stopping him. It brings all the guilt, the pain; everything comes back alongside it, crying for my blood as it once cried for his.

Death is an immutable component of life. We all reach it eventually; we all succumb to its icy grip as it pulls us toward whatever happens afterward. I may never know for certain if it is the end, or if it is merely a beginning. I may never know if there is peace on the other side of the veil, or if the nothingness, the impenetrable silence, is all that I have to look forward to.

But I can’t go back, and so forward is all that is left to me. Life is not a book being read, it is a book being written, in indelible ink. Try as I might, I cannot possibly change the past. I can only affect what is written next. I do not know what the future will hold; the unwritten pages that are yet to be filled, but another immutable component of life is that I can choose what word to write next.

In this world there is too much guilt; too much pain. So much crying for blood to be spilt over petty things. Death is created all around us, as if people seem to think we need more of it than what occurs by natural process. As I choose the path of the present, it is up to the light within me to safeguard the sanctity of life around me. Every second is an opportunity to change someone’s life for the better.

We can do great things together. We can survive, by finding those of like mind who are willing to rise together, regardless of the culture that does not understand peace. We can persevere, beyond the oppression of those who seek to create a world of death. This world can be a place of peace, where everyone can be full, their hearts understood, and their souls loved.

All life is connected, and we are everything. My heartbeat thrums with the heartbeat of the world, enticing me to dance, to make art, and to consider the great questions of the universe. We belong together in this great dance, and we are invited to thrive. Our deepest thoughts, desires, and fears are important, and with great courage we can pursue our desires and overcome our fears. The twilight of my self-imposed oppression is nigh, and the dawn is coming. I will find my purpose in life, and I will hold onto it through all the years to come.

My anger and blame have held me back for too long, and it is time to forgive. It is time to move on, and acknowledge that though I may never hold him in my arms again, the memory of him is riding right alongside me. In my heart I know that his choice to leave was not his own; he did not abandon me. He is there, I need only call.

I sing at the top of my lungs, knowing that he will hear me. I call to all of those who have gone before, and when I expect nothing, they answer. They are with me. He is with me. My calls reverberate through the void of my memories and comes back to me, singing the song of purpose renewed, drawing me forward.

I whisper into the darkness. I pause, and listen to the silence. The silence is nothing but a blank page, and at the end of the day, I decide what the answer will be.

div>
Check out my Patreon for early access to chapters(note:everything started at GA will be released in full at a regular pace. This is early access only, not exclusive access) and exclusive content(stories posted only at Patreon as of this posting)! https://www.patreon.com/Cynus

Special thanks to my patrons for their support: Michael, Charlie, Bill, Paul, Matt, James, Shadow, Joe, Bart, John, Mark, Sam, Pete, Richmond, Scott, Frank, Amr, Haldon, Jay, Mark, Joel, Steve, Don, Jos, Peter, Chris, Heiko, Jeff, Raymond, Ganymedes, Jerod, Mike, Craig, Jack, Pooven, Caleb, Joey, and YOUR NAME HERE. You're all awesome!

Updated: 5/24/2018

Copyright © 2015 Cynus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

I was going to write that there are no words big enough, deep enough or profound enough for me to express how much this has touched me. But then, I realized your words alone are enough. Thank you for sharing them with us.
Ran out of likes so..... :heart::heart::heart:

Link to comment

I'm glad you were able to get this out. Life is for the living; although you may be lonely from time to time, you're never truly alone.

Link to comment
On 08/10/2015 08:20 PM, Sammy Blue said:

Very thought-provoking and well written! :)

Thank you, Sammy. As always.

Link to comment
On 08/10/2015 10:25 PM, Reader1810 said:

I was going to write that there are no words big enough, deep enough or profound enough for me to express how much this has touched me. But then, I realized your words alone are enough. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Ran out of likes so..... :heart::heart::heart:

Thank you. This was extremely cathartic for me to write, though I can feel myself starting to slip back to my normal state of mourning already.

 

Well, perhaps slightly above my normal state. :)

Link to comment
On 08/10/2015 10:41 PM, stanollie said:

Thank You, from a sharer.

Thank you for commenting. I'm happy to see you here. :)

Link to comment
On 08/11/2015 10:22 AM, Valkyrie said:

:hug::hug: :hug: :hug::kiss: Thank you for sharing. You moved me to tears.

Then they mixed with my own I shed while writing it, surely.

Link to comment
On 08/12/2015 04:37 AM, xleroc said:

I'm glad you were able to get this out. Life is for the living; although you may be lonely from time to time, you're never truly alone.

I try not to be anyway. :) Thanks for the review, and for the positive energy.

Link to comment

I'm with Val; I definitely needed my Kleenex here, and I'll just hang onto the box for the next chapter.

 

I can imagine this would have been very cathartic to write, and of course painful to go back and dig those memories up. Although I have a feeling you wouldn't have to dig too far.

 

Loss is experienced differently for everyone. Some can go through their stages of grief and then move on, others never really get over their loss.

 

I'm glad you were able to look at everything in a different light, a more positive light.

Link to comment
On 09/03/2015 10:19 AM, Lisa said:

I'm with Val; I definitely needed my Kleenex here, and I'll just hang onto the box for the next chapter.

 

I can imagine this would have been very cathartic to write, and of course painful to go back and dig those memories up. Although I have a feeling you wouldn't have to dig too far.

 

Loss is experienced differently for everyone. Some can go through their stages of grief and then move on, others never really get over their loss.

 

I'm glad you were able to look at everything in a different light, a more positive light.

It's a process, and it moves in waves. There are ups and downs, but time carries us forever forward and we cannot go back to the still waters from which we started. The surface of the water will always be forever altered by that which pierces it.

Link to comment

Tears were flowing as I read your words, tears no shed for so long. My heart was breaking as the memories of loss once again surfaced.
Thank you for sharing a painful part of your life.

Link to comment
On 02/15/2017 05:03 AM, Buddy Blue said:

Tears were flowing as I read your words, tears no shed for so long. My heart was breaking as the memories of loss once again surfaced.

Thank you for sharing a painful part of your life.

Isn't it amazing how I can completely forget that I wrote this? I guess, in a way, it really was a catharsis I needed, because I've healed a lot since then. This was a rather poignant thing to come back and read again after so long . . .

 

On February 22nd, every year, I honor those who are no longer with me, and give appreciation to those who are with me still. It's a personal holiday, which I make sure to get off work and cancel all other commitments so I can focus on honoring those I've lost.

 

It's been very useful in my grieving process, and it's beautiful to be able to see where I've been in relation to where I am now. Thanks for the review. It helped me gain some perspective.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..