Jump to content
    Defiance19
  • Author
  • 513 Words
  • 1,229 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shorts and Prompts - 3. Mystery Machine

This flash fiction is part of the Newsletter Game: Pick Two.
My two nouns were, airship and laughter..

Toby opened the front door and found an airship. Quinn stared, shocked, but then Toby remembered he had a laughter and he ran to his car. Finding what he needed, he raced back inside and switched it on.

 

In seconds, everything was at it should be. Heart pounding, he turned to face a glaring Quinn. Fitting response, since Toby was almost sure he knew why they had found themselves standing not in what should have been their living room, but in a space that resembled an open battlefield. The room had now been transformed back to its original state. Toby opened the front door back up and peered outside. The neighborhood remained undisturbed.

 

“Did this really just happen?” Toby asked, rocking forward trying hard to control the thrill he felt.

 

Quinn pointed to the shrunken airship. “It’s that creepy Zeppelin you just had to have from that convention. I knew something was off. I knew it.” He whispered harshly.

“I told you that the guy was shady. There was something not right about that whole Con. But you wouldn’t listen. How does a model airship morph into a battle ready, World War II Ghosts of War-like airship in our house? Our house Toby! A bomb-toting, hydrogen-filled airship!” Rubbing his hands over his face, Quinn took a quick breath before he started in again. “Do you even know what this thing is capable of? Oh god, Toby …”

 

Toby was in awe, regarding the beauty of airship’s cylindrical hulls and steel framework. He thought back to the day he had purchased the airship. He’d made several purchases in fact. He had talked to the seller about the urban legend of the deranged former soldier who’d manned the ship. There was a fervent conversation about unexplained occurrences on the battlefield, but nothing he recalled brought to mind any rationale for the alternate macrocosm he’d found himself in.

 

He was jarred back to the present by his normally calm husband, whose emotional response to their situation had him now giggling hysterically. Watching Quinn fall apart made Toby want to snicker, but he bit down on his cheek and held out his hand.

 

“Babe …”

 

He got no further than that because there was a sudden hiss and rumble from the airship. They both jumped back as the room began to distort.

 

“I got this.” Toby yelled excitedly to Quinn, lifting the device he was holding.

 

“What the hell is that anyway?”

                                                                                                                      

“A Laser Activated Ultimate Gamma-Ray Handgun (for) Terminating Extraneous Relics. Or LAUGHTER.” he grinned.

Quinn gaped at Toby, until the relic in question began to shake.

 

“T-Toby…” Quinn started.

 

Nothing happened when Toby slammed his palm on the button as before.The walls around them started to warp and the airship vibrated violently once more. Just as suddenly, a crazed, howling laugh filled the room. Both men paled. They turned to each other and with an agreeing nod, ran panicked for the door only to find it vanishing from sight.

I have to thank Mikiesboy (tim) for being super cool and reading and editing this.. Any and all errors are mine and mine alone. 
 
Hopefully, this very fun exercise wasn't too agonizing. Leave a comment, let me know. I won't feel bad, I promise. :)
Copyright © 2017 Defiance19; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A very good story. It had me chuckling at several points, and I loved the ending!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Somebody sure has a darn good imagination, and you put it to good use, too. I liked it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Very futuristic steampunk with a fun kitschy way to add in the noun 'laughter' cause, damn, that was hard!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Still funny Def!  Well done my friend.

 Thank you tim... I appreciate you.. 

 

7 hours ago, Lyssa said:

Reminds me a little on Hitch Hikers guide. Great. I really want to know, what happens now.

Aw, thank you Lyssa. What happens can be totally up to you. I didn't think that far ahead! 

 

6 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

A very good story. It had me chuckling at several points, and I loved the ending!

Thank you. Glad I could make you chuckle..lol

 

6 hours ago, Dolores Esteban said:

Very much enjoyed it. I would like to read more. 

Thank you so much.. I'm glad you enjoyed it to even want more.. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, aditus said:

Whoa! That was fun. Great!

Thank you Adi.. Glad you liked it..

 

6 hours ago, Ron said:

Somebody sure has a darn good imagination, and you put it to good use, too. I liked it.

Thank you Ron. I really appreciate that.. I'm glad that you liked it too.. 

 

2 hours ago, Drew Espinosa said:

Wonderful job, Mama! :D I especially loved the creative use of LAUGHTER, it was perfect!

Muah! Thank you Drew.. The acronym was the first thing I did.. 

 

1 hour ago, Cia said:

Very futuristic steampunk with a fun kitschy way to add in the noun 'laughter' cause, damn, that was hard!!

Thank you Cia.. I didn't think I had the worst nouns, but it was hard and I might have banged my head a couple times.. Then the idea came. I'm just glad it went over well. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I thought you did a great job with difficult words.  I love how you incorporated 'laughter'.  Nicely done! :D  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

I thought you did a great job with difficult words.  I love how you incorporated 'laughter'.  Nicely done! :D  

Thank you Val.. It did take me a while, but I loved doing this flash.. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

 

A laughter ... I was thinking what? And then you explained brilliantly. A wonderful story constructed out of two disparate words - I know I would've had trouble with them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, northie said:

 

A laughter ... I was thinking what? And then you explained brilliantly. A wonderful story constructed out of two disparate words - I know I would've had trouble with them.

Thank you so much Northie.. A headscratcher to start, but it seemed to have gone okay... :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I thought of a book I once read where the world disappeared from under a group of people escaping on a plane. What a horror to have all of reality warp into something new... Tricky combination of words, but you used them really cleverly. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
16 hours ago, comicfan said:

reminds me of an episode of the Twilight zone. creepy

Aw, it's pretty cool you thought so. Thank you so very much for reading. :) 

 

 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..