Jump to content
    Demiurge
  • Author
  • 8,363 Words
  • 2,375 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
*Violence, adult content, PTSD, anxiety, depression*

Stoke - 15. Thin Lines

*Violence, Explicit Content

Talon had been quiet ever since he’d come back to the bedroom. The others had gone back to bed. Hopefully, they could get some rest before we set out to find Amaris, Loren, and Rah. I hoped they hadn’t made it too far, but Rah was slower. If we went quick, we thought we might be able to make up the ground. I sat up against the headboard, my pillows piled behind me as my gaze followed him around the room. It was foreign now, to not have him as a passenger inside my brain.

“Are we going to talk about why you ran away?” I asked softly, smoothing the blanket over my lap. He was staring out the window. I’m not sure that he’d even looked at me since he’d left the room. The panic in his eyes had worried me more than anything I’d ever seen from him. Now it was like our communication had been knocked back to its initial point. Where it had been when we’d first been dancing around each other. He still hadn’t answered me. His head hadn’t even turned in my direction to acknowledge that he’d heard me. It was to the point of being rude now. I kicked off the blankets, shivering at the cool air in the room. I only wore undergarments and one of my own tight fighting tunics for once.

“Talon? You can’t ignore me.” I stomped over and he shrugged my hand off as soon as it touched his shoulder, “I didn’t mean to sever our connection. You know that I loved it more than anyone. It was an accident. I was trying to help. I didn’t see any other way I could help you guys right now.”

“Did you have to?” He turned finally, expression blank. He raised an eyebrow and I frowned at how cold his stare was, “I mean did you have to do something this specific night? Who asked you to? We wanted you to sit for a couple hours. That’s it. What? You don’t trust us enough to let us take care of things for one night? Have to have your fingers in every damn thing?”

His expression hardened and I took a step back. It was like it had been in the woods when he’d been teaching me. When he’d left. He’d tried to leave that day. He’d tried to forcibly extract himself from my life before he got in too deep. We didn’t talk about it, but I knew that’s what had happened. I wasn’t going to let him go like I had that day. Not this time.

“It’s not like that.” I frowned, preparing for an argument.

He stood, stepping around me, leaning down as he did so to whisper in my ear, “It’s exactly like that. You can’t leave things alone. Can’t drop them.”

I faced him as he sprawled out on the bed. I narrowed my eyes, “So what? End of conversation? You’re done. Talon’s finished his sentence, so pack it up everybody!”

He waved a hand in my direction before dropping an arm over his eyes, “My point.”

“I’ve had a strong claim on the moody brat princess crown for a long time, but oh baby, you are grabbing for it tonight.” I crossed my arms and glared at his unmoving form on the bed. Talon kept his eyes closed and I stared, my mouth slowly falling open. He held both hands up and mimed lifting a crown up before placing it on his head.

“You’re incredible.” I scoffed.

“I’ve been telling you that for months. One thing, though, a condition if you will. I am a fucking moody brat king. King. Get it right.” I rolled my eyes and he turned over, back to me.

“Is this about the dying thing or the connection thing? Can you at least narrow it down?” I sighed, dropping my arms as he refused to look at me.

“It’s all of it. You cozying up with ancient monsters by yourself. You making choices for the entire group without consulting anyone else. You making choices for me without giving my opinion any thought. Hiding things from the group. Hiding things from me. Making me feel like shit for hiding things from you when you’re a hypocrite. Fucking up and then hiding behind me while I smooth shit over for you. Oh wait, there’s more, the forcing me into things because you know I’ll follow you. You know I’ll follow because I love you. That one’s good. That’s manipulation Kalian. Fun little word. You should look it up. You are so fucking good at it. It’s your whole personality.”

He still refused to look at me and I lowered myself into a chair, “Why are you only bringing all this up right now? S-some of it I’ve already been working on.”

The room was silent now and it stretched between us. I rested my cheek against my palm and looked down at the ground as I forced myself to blink back tears. I covered my mouth. Then took slow and steady breaths. The connection was gone so at least I only had my own shitty emotions to deal with. The bed shifted and I wanted to look, but I didn’t think I could handle that cold stare again.

“You should sleep. We have to go after Amaris tomorrow.”

“I don’t want to go to sleep like this Talon.” I made myself look at him and he winced when our eyes met.

“Listen. I’m pissed. That wasn’t the way I should have said that. It was mean.” He let out a long sigh and held the back of his neck as he looked at the ground.

“I don’t mean to be like that. I didn’t know I was so manipulative. I didn’t know you saw me that way.” He flinched like I had slapped him. His hand slid from his neck to rub across his face.

“There’s nothing wrong with you. You’re perfect and I’m shit. I get upset and project sometimes.”

“No.” I frowned and took a breath. I walked over to sit next to him, “Don’t backtrack. I can’t work on it if I don’t know I’m doing it. I don’t think sometimes. Other times, I know exactly what I’m forcing you into and I take advantage of that.” We fell into silence again, but this time it didn’t hurt.

“I miss it.” He whispered softly.

I linked our fingers gently, “Me too. Maybe we can find a way to get it back somehow?”

“Like the tiniest fraction of your personality is manipulation. You don’t mean to. Literally everyone just naturally loves you and wants to follow wherever you’re going.” He mumbled. I smiled and crawled forward enough to go in for a kiss. I paused at the last minute as a tiny flare of insecurity smacked me in the face. He closed the distance, lips pressing to mine chastely. He let out a ragged breath and let his forehead rest against mine.

“I love you?” I whispered, my pitch up ticking at the end as that stupid insecurity reared its ugly head again.

“I’m sorry was that a question?” Talon raised an eyebrow, tongue pushed to the roof of his mouth to add to his offended expression. He crawled over me and laid me back on the bed.

“No.” I giggled softly.

“’Cause it sounded like a question.” His fingers ran up my sides and I squirmed as the touch tickled.

“It w-wasn’t a question.” I giggled out, spreading my legs as he moved to lay between them, fully tickling my sides now.

He tilted his head to the side as if listening very closely to my response, “Mm, sounds pretty inquisitive.”

I squeaked and shrieked as he descended on me, hands moving over my most ticklish spots. I tried pushing and kicking him away, but he merely threw his weight on top of me to squish me under him. Seeing an opening, I rolled over and gripped the blankets, trying to drag myself out from under him.

“No.” His tone of voice stopped me first. Then his hands gripped my hips and he pulled me back down. The mood shifted so fast; I was almost dizzy. A drawer opened and Talon kissed over my neck. I gasped and pressed my hips against the bed when he nipped. He nudged my cheek with his nose, and I turned my head. His lips captured mine and he kissed me slow, pulling away to suck on my lower lip. I shuddered and bit my lip when he left my field of vision. He pulled my shirt over my head and tossed it. His hands slid back down my sides, and he hooked fingers in the fabric covering my lower half as he slid it down slowly. Talon kissed down my spine as he went, pausing at the end to knead my cheeks. I heard him stand and I was already trying not to pant. Something glass clinked and then I was moaning into the mattress as he slid a finger into me. He leaned over me, his chest lightly touching my back as I rocked my hips a little.

“Eager Kalian?” I blushed and shook my head. I gasped again as another slick finger slid deep into me. His tongue traced the shell of my ear and I let my head fall back on his shoulder. He shifted a little and his other hand cupped my jaw gently, leaning back. I was almost standing straight now, only my fingertips touching the bed.

“Talon, stop messing around.”

“So bossy. First you can’t confirm whether or not you love me and now you’re bossing me around.” He tsk’d behind me and curled his fingers.

I moaned and rocked my hips, “Oh gods, shut up and give me what I want.”

I heard a dark chuckle as another finger joined the first two, spreading and opening. I tried to grip at the bed, but his hand slid down to my neck, and he tightened it so I couldn’t reach. I gasped, “M-mean.”

“Yeah. You are. It’s okay. I’m nice enough for both of us.” He pulled his fingers out and I whimpered. He flipped me over and smirked, “You already looked wrecked baby.”

“Stop.” I whined.

His smirk turned dirtier, and he pushed my knees to my chest, “If you’d be so kind.”

He slid his hand down to grip my neck again as I held underneath my knees and my head fell back as he pushed in slowly. He glanced down and squeezed, cutting off air. Talon kept his eyes on mine until he bottomed out. I was panting now. I’m sure my cheeks were flushed. My hands were replaced with his and he rocked his hips faster.

“Still a question?” It took me a while to figure out what he even meant; my mind was too focused on every time he thrusted forward.

“N-no.” I gasped. He pushed my knees higher and snapped his hips forward harder. I threw my head back and cried out.

Talon leaned down, lips ghosting over mine, “Good.”

After he apparently received the correct combination of word choice, tone of voice, and intonation, he stopped holding back. At some point I’d ended up back on my knees, hands fisted in the sheets as he did his best to actually fuck me through the mattress. All my normal noises fell off in favor of screams and there was no way the house was sleeping through it.

“Shh, I think Hanja may kill me if I wake him up again.” He grunted softly behind me as he slammed into my spot. I cried out and trembled under him, “Mm, not listening babe?”

I only shook my head. The next time he moved forward, his hand clamped over my mouth and the resulting cry. He hauled me back against his chest again, holding me tight. I gripped his forearm and let my head fall back on his shoulder. I screamed my orgasm into his hand a couple minutes later and my head lolled forward when he joined me soon after.

 

I had no idea how long ago we’d started. I dipped in and out of consciousness. We’d slept for a couple hours, I think. Right now, my forearms were pressed to the headboard, fingers lightly holding it behind his head as I straddled his lap. My eyes were closed, and our breath mingled in the small space between us. It wasn’t fast. His hands slid over every inch of me as if I were shiny and new. I rocked against him, shuddering each time he angled exactly right.

It took so much longer this way. We weren’t frenzied and slamming each other against the nearest surface that could support our weight long enough to finish. He held my hips down and pressed up harder, deeper. His head tilted, lips leaving a trail of kisses over my jaw. I let my hands drift down, tangling in his hair to tug gently. The tugging became a little more demanding when that familiar feeling started to build. I worked my hips a little faster and cupped his cheek, guiding his tongue into my mouth. I dropped my other hand to stroke myself, and he swallowed all the sounds I made as I got closer.

 

“There’s no way we didn’t keep Hanja up.” I mumbled. My cheek pressed to sheets we’d just changed out. By we, I meant Talon. I couldn’t feel my legs. They were like cooked noodles right now.

“Mm yes. Remember me when our healer slaughters me later today.” Talon yawned as he stretched out next to me.

“Do you think we’ll get the connection back?” I mumbled again, even more incoherently.

“We’ll just have to see.” Talon near slurred and in the seconds after the words fell into the dark, I heard him softly snoring.

 

*

 

I didn’t miss the walking. No one did I’m sure, but my limp did not help. We really had to start planning things like last night better. Poor Talon had bags under his eyes and was noticeably short tempered this morning. He’d been up before me and had woken me up at the very latest point he could. When I’d finally left bed after whining and a lot of convincing, he’d already had everything ready. He’d lost even more sleep so that I could sleep longer. I pouted softly again at the thought as I looked at his back. Stupidly sweet man. For once, it looked like Eon was the one holding the conversation and I wondered what strange world we’d flipped into when I’d slept. Poor Talon nodded and even gave my brother a thumbs up at one point. I glanced to my right to nod and smile at Tyren as he spoke. Even without the connection, I knew that Talon was beyond his limit. He probably had been a long time ago. We’d been at it for an entire day, and we had a lot of ground to make up. Even without Rah, they had a time advantage on us. I trudged after the others and Tyren and I went back and forth on the letters.

“Hey guys!” I called and Talon and Eon turned, “Let’s make camp. My legs are killing me!”

“I wonder why.” Wren rolled his eyes and fixed me with a serrated grin. I looked from him to Eon and wiggled my eyebrows. Wren’s grin widened and my eyes dipped down as something caught my eyes. Fingers. Marks. Dark purple ones. There were clear fingermarks on Wren’s neck. I could make out each finger. Ohh. Oh no. I decided I wanted out of this exchange of expressions and any conversation that may ensue. We fell into our normal jobs and by the end I had worked up a sweat. That was the first time I noticed that it wasn’t frigid, and I mentioned it to Tyren who hummed.

“To be honest, I should have done more research on the seasons here. Dleth shouldn’t be far off from Dimian however, given their location. Perhaps spring is creeping closer?” I smiled and helped him, and Hanja set up for dinner.

“You do know that the walls in houses are generally not made from steel lord?” Hanja snarked, the blue around his red irises brighter in the day’s light. Poor Hanja. He had to pick on me. Nothing he said to Talon would phase the other man. He knew I was the easy target.

I felt my face heat, “Yes, sorry. It’s inconsiderate.”

“Rude. Rude is what it is. If you tw- “

“Hanja. Stop it. They’re young. Leave them alone. Goddess Kalian died. Forgive Talon if he was a little…overzealous.” I giggled softly when my teacher smacked his profoundly serious partner hard enough with a wooden spoon that the thwack echoed in the open air. Hanja’s lip puffed out in a reluctant pout, and he discreetly rubbed his arm.

Camp finished, I looked around. Wren was glaring at the fire suspiciously as Eon motioned to it while he explained something. Wren looked up at my brother, eyes squinted in confusion as if the bigger man had dropped into a dead language halfway through. Hanja and Tyren had fallen into silence as they cooked together. Talon was nowhere to be found. I ached as I felt the connection’s absence again. I’d have to find him the old-fashioned way. I rubbed my sore hips and strolled across the camp. I opened the first shelter with no luck. When I opened the second one’s flap, I almost laughed in pity. Talon was face down and still fully dressed. Tyren and I had the bed rolls and bedding ready which was fortunate because I’m not sure if Talon would have cared. His face was smashed into a pillow and his hands were palm down by his face.

“Love, you alive?” One hand rose in his second thumbs up of the day and then fell heavily back to the ground. I kneeled and yanked his boots off. I rolled him, grunting softly when he remained dead weight. He whined pitifully and I winced when his arm bent weirdly under him until he flopped onto his back. I crawled up and pulled his shirt over his head with, again, zero help from the man himself.

“Could you pick a different day to ravage me? Energy levels dangerously low.” He muttered, eyes closed, then let out a long-suffering sigh, “But if you insist. You’re on top.”

I rolled my eyes and then I frowned softly. His cheeks were flushed even now that he was shirtless. I’d assumed he was hot. I’d noticed the pink dusting across his cheeks when I’d rolled him over, initially. I pressed the back of my hand gently to his forehead.

“Are you feeling okay, Talon?” He was hot to the touch, but I couldn’t tell if he was hotter than normal.

“No. Tired. Head hurts.”

I tilted my head to the side, “Your head hurts?”

“That’s what I fucking said isn’t it?” I blinked as he opened his eyes and snapped at me. His cheeks were more flushed now and his eyes were unfocused, his pupils like pin pricks.

“I’ll grab Hanja.” I drew my knees under me and stood.

“Don’t need to get Hanja. Just let me fucking sleep. Gods. Not hard.” I rolled my eyes and stuck my tongue out at him. Now either way I was getting Hanja. Simply because he was being rude.

 

Hanja kneeled next to a now sweating Talon who insisted he needed sleep, “Oh Verloren, excellent news. I hadn’t heard you’d become a healer. Exciting to learn you’ve surpassed me in my field of expertise and know my specialty of a decade better than I do.”

Tyren and I exchanged a wide-eyed look and even Talon closed his mouth. Hanja could be snotty and snarky, but even this was a new level for him. I bit my lip hard to stifle a laugh at the deadpan delivery and Eon had to look away quickly when we met eyes. I still heard a barely stifled laugh.

Hanja held out his hands and Talon began to open his mouth again. Wren squirmed around Eon, “I could smack him again?”

Talon’s mouth closed and stayed that way while Hanja checked him over, “I’m not finding any injuries. It’s possible that this is simple fatigue and poor attitude.”

“Wow, it’s almost like that’s exactly what I said. If you idiots had just listened. I could be asleep, and you wouldn’t have wasted everyone’s time.” Talon muttered snottily. All of us glared down at him. Wren turned large, pleading, round eyes up at Eon. Who I now noticed was holding his hand. White claws were curled into my brother’s much bigger fist. Eon nodded and Wren sprang forward with malicious excitement and smacked Talon so hard the sound resounded in the tent. Talon had been sitting up and now stared up at the ceiling of the shelter from his back.

I glared at Eon who lifted his shoulders as Wren’s fingers slid back into his, “He got away from me. Sorry. Wren gets aggressive sometimes and, remember, he’s so much stronger than I am. Little ol’ me can’t control him.”

I glared harder and wished I had something to throw at him as Talon groaned from the floor, “When the fuck has Eon ever been described as little? I’m convinced he appeared one day as a six foot six-year-old built like a brick shit house. Also, Wren. Can you knock me out next time? What’s this open-handed garbage? Shit.”

Can I knock you out next time?” Wren’s voice was suddenly excited.

“No,” Eon, Talon, and I answered in unison and the last I saw Wren was pouting before Eon closed the flap. The others had long since left, Hanja muttering. I moved over to cover him up and tried to ignore his annoyed grumbling. He had a red mark across his cheek with small gouges from Wren’s claws. I lightly touched the pads of my fingers to it. I whispered the spell and dropped my hand when it’d healed, feeling my pendant warm against my chest under my coat.

“Stay here.” I looked up at him. He still looked grumpy and was glaring down at the blanketed floor, but his eyes flicked up to me. I smiled softly and pulled off my boots and coat, setting my necklace to the side as well. As soon as I sat down, his arm wrapped around my waist, and he pulled me against him. We lay on our sides, and I covered us with the blankets.

 

I woke up slowly, feeling a weird sensation. As my brain focused, I gasped softly. Two of Talon’s fingers were working inside me. When he felt me become more alert, he added a third. I was still a little sore and I whimpered softly as I moved my hips back to meet him. My eyes darted around. There was still light outside the shelter. The others had to be close by, but gods it felt good.

“Wh-what are you doing?”

“Don-don’t know feel weird.”

“Weird?” His fingers left my body, and my pants were pushed farther down my thighs, “T-Talon. They’re going to hear us.”

His hand clamped over my mouth and I almost bit down on it as he slid into me. It was rough and I clawed at the blankets in front of me as I heard his skin slap against mine. I inhaled through my nose. I’m not sure how well his palm muffled my moans and cries as he rammed into me. He pressed my front into the ground as he moved on top of me. He pulled out long enough to wrench my pants off. Then he spread my legs. I grabbed a pillow and bit down. Sure enough, his tip brushed over my entrance and then he was thrusting forward hard. It felt like he was in my lungs. My thighs shook and I gripped the pillow as I rubbed my hips against the ground, seeking friction. So close. Almost there.

In a rare turn of events, I clenched hard around him after a few rough thrusts to my prostate and his dull nails dug into my lower back as he came first. I squeezed the pillow against my face and screamed as I came against the ground.

My vision blurred and I chalked it up to the orgasm until I looked around and it got worse, “Talon something’s wrong.”

“Sonuva,” He fell over next to me and a Talon shaped blob looked like it was grabbing its head and writhing. That was strange. My hands flew to my head as pain smacked across the front of it. My arms gave out and I laid on the ground, gasping as pulse after pulse slammed through my skull. Is this what he’d felt when he’d stumbled into our bedroom? Whimpering, I tried to look over at him. How had he fucking walked at all? I felt a hand rub my back gently, the movements halting and managed to open my eyes a little.

“Swear to the gods, if this isn’t the connection, I’m stabbing somebody.” Talon managed to force out, still trying to rub my back. His words were so slurred I could barely make them out. I watched him wince and grit his teeth. I gasped as another wave of pain stabbed through my head. This idiot was still trying to comfort me. How?

Then, as suddenly as it came, it was gone.

I blinked up at the canvas ceiling and panted. Talon dragged himself closer and held himself up on his elbows, looking down at me, “You, okay?”

I lifted my hands and he gratefully dropped down, collapsing on my chest. We managed to get the blanket up and I closed my eyes as exhaustion descended. I tried not to get too excited as I felt a tiny nudging at the very outskirts of my mind and Magik.

 

*

 

I was on the road, and I couldn’t help my sigh. I waited for the inevitable. The blood, the gore, the horrific Lex imagery. I waited and waited, but so far there was only walking. Frowning, I looked around. I didn’t like when the dreams deviated. It was never a good thing. I shuddered as I remembered the sensation of Talon’s fangs ripping into my throat. There wasn’t anything around. Grey sky, red dirt, and the lighter red road. There weren’t even trees in this dream. I looked around again, glancing behind me. I stopped. Facing away from me, someone was crouched.

I could see the blond hair from here. It wasn’t dirty though. It was bright and shone as it had before all of this had started. Turning my feet, I made my way in his direction. I was ten feet away when I stopped. He didn’t get up or acknowledge my approach. It looked like he was digging in the dirt. I walked around him, leaving the road, and giving him a wide berth. His blond curls fell onto his forehead and his face was intact, tan cheek unmarred. He still didn’t seem to notice me. Then I remembered. This was a memory. My brain filled in the rest of the image. His left hand filled with colorful flowers and his right a shovel he’d stolen from who knows where. I looked up and there I was too. In all my pre-Magik and pre-confidence glory. Scrawny, pale, dull, and sad looking. I winced. I’d forgotten how much muscle and weight I’d gained. How much I’d changed. Eon stood a little to my left and I almost didn’t recognize him either. Totally clean-shaven. His hair was cropped short and he lacked a certain murderous monster hanging off him.They were both wearing their military uniforms. That’s right. This was the first time they’d come home. Eon’s face was blank as he watched his friend, though, he did glance down sharply when I dared touch his sleeve.

“Lex, we’re going to get in trouble!” Teen Kalian whispered, partially hiding behind Eon.

Lex laughed and stood, brushing his hands off, “It’s a couple of flowers. It’s going to be okay kid.”

He held them out and Eon looked very unimpressed. I cringed softly as the eyes of the boy behind him widened. He looked between the flowers and the man, “Really? They’re for me?”

“Eon doesn’t like flowers. You’re the only other one here. Better you than nobody.” Mallex laughed and I remembered being so charmed. The sun shining down on his golden hair and over his broad shoulders in his vibrant uniform. I watched myself take them, blue and brown eyes like saucers as I looked at Mallex like he hung the stars individually in the sky. My bar had been so, so impossibly low. The image faded and I wondered why my brain enjoyed torturing me? Were we going to cycle through all the memories tonight? It seemed like it. I stumbled through them, walking down the road. I would find a new Lex and my mind would paint the scene as if I didn’t remember them all. I noted the subtle changes in his expressions, the sanity slipping from his eyes.

With dread, I staggered forward, and I knew chronologically where I was. Lex’s hair was messier, his curls not maintained as well. He was looking down, lips upturned in a smirk that made my stomach churn. His hand reached down with two fingers extended. I shook my head. I didn’t need to see it again. It was burned into my mind’s eye forever. I could never unsee it. I dropped down, resting my elbows on my knees and covering my head as the noises of my own violation reached my ears. I heard myself wretch. Then the few seconds of sniffling I’d allowed myself after Mallex had fallen asleep. I scoffed at my own brain. Great. My favorite.

A black shape flew across my vision, and I blinked rapidly as it crashed into the ground. I heard a slew of curses and my heart skipped. Talon stood up slowly and cracked his back, wincing, “Ow.”

He looked around and saw the memory. Or the tail end of it. Which was me laying on the ground amongst vomit and…other fluids. The set of his shoulders went tight, and I watched his jaw clench. He took a deep breath and rolled his head on his shoulders. Then he shook it out with his hands. His eyes scanned around and softened when they found me.

“Surprise,” He mouthed, too far away for me to hear. He stalked forward and pulled me to my feet, tucking me against his chest, “Why watch all this when you could replay all the times I f- “

“I don’t really have a choice.” I mumbled into his chest, hiding my face.

“I know love. I’m sorry. Get some actual sleep.” I clung to him and pressed my cheek to his chest. Soon my eyelids grew heavy, and I didn’t have time to wonder how you got tired in a dream.

 

*

 

Wren and Talon were worried. They’d picked up the other group’s trail early this morning. Hence the reason for concern. They insisted that Amaris should know better. She was an assassin after all. They were a small group and even though there was only the one road, it was still smart to mask your steps. Advertising where, how often you made camp, and how many were in your party was foolish. Talon looked much better today and Tyren commented as much.

“I’m sorry that we seem to create disturbances so often.” I blushed and rolled my eyes in exasperation as my teacher laughed at me.

“Can I let you in on a secret?” Tyren whispered conspiratorially and I leaned closer. My eyes widened and I nodded. He smiled mischievously, “Hanja and I used to carry gags because that man couldn’t control himself for a full 24 hours.”

I couldn’t help it. I barked out a loud, sharp laugh and slapped my hands over my mouth. The others in front looked back. Talon glanced between us and then to Hanja as if he’d guessed. A soft grin formed on his lips. Hanja only stared at Tyren; eyes narrowed in suspicion. Tyren merely waved happily.

“I wish we were the same age. Think of all the trouble we could get into!” I giggled and Tyren held his chest, eyes wide as he laughed as well.

“I don’t know if the world could handle a young Hanja paired with Talon. They’d be partners in crime.” Tyren smiled and I studied the healer who was walking between Eon and Talon. Wren hung from my brother’s back, claws resting lightly over my brother’s Adam’s apple. I noted how tight Eon’s grip on Wren’s thighs was. Yeah, I’m sure the tiny terror would have no qualms about catching himself with Eon’s throat if he fell. I turned my gaze back to Hanja’s blank face.

“I can’t see it, teacher.” I finally said.

“Not now maybe.” He snorted, “He was a different person when he was younger. The first time I met him he wall ran over my head, scaled up a building onto a roof, and ran over clay tiles that broke underfoot each time he stepped down.”

“What? Our Hanja? That one?” I pointed and the man in question turned again, eyeing the finger pointed at him.

“Oh yes. He was running from, I think, the palace guards. We had to return to a dorm for people like us after our lessons you see. Hanja didn’t want to that day I guess.” He smiled at the memory, “Then he noticed me and had the dumbest look on his face.”

“I resent that.” I jumped as Hanja’s quiet voice invaded the conversation. He’d stopped, waiting a few feet away. Tyren smiled softly at him and linked his arms around one of Hanja’s once we’d reached him.

“Your face was so blank, and you were staring at me slack jawed. How would you describe it?” Tyren laughed and I smiled over at them.

Hanja cleared his throat and stared straight ahead, “I don’t know. The light hit you just right that day. I’d never seen someone who looked like you.”

I bite my lip and knew that I was becoming a third wheel, but I refused to miss out on the story. Tyren grinned, “Well, while the light was hitting me just right, the tiles under his feet broke and he fell to the ground. Mind you, that entire time, I don’t know if I even breathed. I was so surprised. Then I heard the guards, and I don’t know, I didn’t think I simply moved.”

I was invested, hanging on each word, “You moved? What did you do?”

“I hauled him down the alley, wrenched open a door, and yanked him inside. I think it must’ve been some kind of storage room. I heard the guards rush by and saw the shadows under the door. I was absolutely terrified, mind you. I didn’t even speak the common tongue fluently yet, and this moron is yammering in my ear in a totally different language.” Hanja yammer? I laughed and then laughed harder when I took in the soft blush on Hanja’s cheeks.

“What was he saying?” I jumped and looked up at Talon’s question. The others had fallen back and Hanja and Tyren now had a full audience. Talon’s voice was lacking any teasing, genuine curiosity coloring his words. His eyebrows were raised slightly.

“Actually, I don’t know.” Tyren laughed.

“What did you say?” Eon asked, turning to the healer.

Hanja shifted, suddenly finding a stray tree remarkably interesting, “I asked him to marry me.”

Our group descended into chaos and Hanja tried desperately to get away from Tyren who’s eyes had exploded in adoration. Talon had a wide smile on his face, and he held his hand out. I took a few steps forward to lace our fingers and he swung them gently.

“Then what? Is that what it takes for you humans to get married?” Wren asked, head popping over my brother’s shoulder as he gripped his shoulders to hoist himself up.

Tyren laughed happily and shook his head before resting it on Hanja’s shoulder, “No, I punched him and left him in the little room by himself.”

“You what?” I gasped in fake outrage.

“Well, kind of. He figured out that I couldn’t understand his very heated, uh I guess, proposal and so he pushed me against the wall and kissed me. So, I hit him. He was out cold.” Hanja was going to melt into a puddle and cease to exist. He moved his hands up to hide his face and Tyren only cuddled up closer. I giggled more and the group grew silent. Hanja at least seemed thankful. He ignored everyone as he tried to get his face to return to its normal pale shade. Talon swung our hands still and I felt that nudging in my mind. It wasn’t a complete link yet, but he’d jumped into my dream. That was something. I squeezed his hand and he lowered his head to kiss my knuckles.

The road was still and silent. Unease started to creep up my spine. I squeezed my fingers tighter in Talon’s and he seemed to know the difference from before. A question. He nodded as he whispered, “I know, love.”

Ahead, Wren gracefully dropped to the ground. Tyren released Hanja and from where I stood, I could see a chunk of metal in his palm. Hanja tilted his head as if listening and Wren stepped away and behind Eon. Talon’s hand left mine and he fell back, calmly looking around. The feeling of unease only grew. It was like we were being watched, stalked, hunted. Like we were prey. I hated it. I didn’t have to wait for much longer.

“Fancy meeting you here. I did miss your beautiful faces.” I braced myself as Loren stepped out of thin air. Or it seemed that way. The landscape around us shifted and the entire north side of the road was a sea of red. The soldiers shifted, waiting for the order. My eyes scanned over them. Not enough. They hadn’t brought enough. We could do this. Then I glanced back to Loren. I hadn’t factored him in. Loren was a formidable opponent. He stood still now, spinning a blade around his hand, a troubled expression on his handsome face. A man in military blues with close-cropped grey hair strode forward.

“We have orders. Kill them all.” He said simply and shrugged.

“Loren don’t help them! This isn’t you!” Rah struggled forward, screaming. Her eyes were exposed, and two soldiers held her back. Talon tensed and his eyes drifted up to the soldiers faces when she cried out in pain. Loren turned at Rah’s cry and he seemed to abandon whatever position he’d been holding.

“No one said anything about touching her. Either of them.” His voice was low and dangerous.

“Get back to your position! You have orders! Anders will hear about this insolence! What do you think he’ll do to her then?” I assumed the man meant Rah, but Loren froze. As we watched, a slow smile crept onto his features.

“That was a very bad choice.” Rah shook her head. Loren strolled casually back to where the man stood and smiled brightly.

“Captain, you’re right. I forget my place. Oh, forgive me, there’s dust on your epaulet.” The man glanced down at his shoulder in confusion. Talon tensed again next to me and so did Wren. The man didn’t have enough sense to. Loren clamped his fingers on the man’s shoulder as his other hand came up. Something glinted in the sunlight. He held the back of the captain’s head almost tenderly, bright smile still in place, and then started jamming a small knife into the man’s eyes. Over and over. The people nearest them seemed frozen in shock. I stared with my mouth open. Loren’s hand continued to jab forward lightning fast. Wren let out a crazed giggle, a hand sliding over Eon’s abs as he watched. He looked up at my brother in clear glee, making sure Eon had seen. My brother sighed and nodded.

“Did you want to say it again? One more time? I was too far away. Couldn’t hear you.” I glanced to Talon as Loren let the man fall to the ground and started stomping on his head.

“Loren. Loren!” Rah called softly as the soldiers started to shuffle forward. He stopped and held up his hands, blood painted his chest and face. His hand was drenched and still holding the knife.

His back was to us, but he grinned over his shoulder, “temporary truce?”

“Agreed,” Eon said after we all exchanged looks.

“Kalian,” Talon stepped around and in front of me, “Find Amaris and get the two of you out.”

After I got over the initial shock of Talon trusting me by myself in a fight, I focused. I nodded and he was gone. He went straight for Rah and I breathed a sigh of relief. I thought for a second. If Rah was being treated like a prisoner, it made sense that she’d been brought from the same area. Or she could know where Amaris was. I darted after Talon. A red clad brunette crept up behind him as he was focused on three approaching him from the front. I reached the man in red as shadow snapped through the others. I slammed a small thin blade of light into the man’s neck and jumped, my knees connecting with his back hard. He lurched forward and when he hit the ground, I extended the blade and grabbed the opposite end. I pulled it clean through his neck and he stopped struggling. I stood and shook my hands out. I felt a little jittery. Talon had whipped around and gave me a dirty look, “What’re you doing?

“What you told me to.” I threw my hand out and tiny light daggers flew into a blond’s face as he ran at us, “Attitude, much?”

He tilted his face a little away from me, but I saw his smile. His attention turned and the men holding Rah hit the ground. Ropes of shadow sprung from the earth, winding around them as it drug them away from their prisoner. I blew Talon a kiss as I moved toward his sister. In passing, I flicked my wrist. A disc of light rolled across the ground. It decapitated both men and I heard Talon shout, “Show off! I was getting to that!”

“You okay?” I asked before I got to her so she wouldn’t pop my brain if I touched her. I was breathing hard, my stomach twisting already at the violence. It was necessary. This was necessary. What if that man had landed a hit on Talon? The back of his head? What if the others had hurt Rah? Necessary.

“Kalian!” I wrapped her in a quick hug.

“Do you know where they’re keeping Amaris?” She nodded and held out her hand. She stumbled a few times, apologizing for her difficulties in the snow. I wouldn’t hear it. We were working our way slowly around behind the main battle. I started hearing more noises and prepared myself. Metal, screaming, the sounds of violence. There was no need. Amaris stood a few feet away from a small metal cage. I grit my teeth as I saw bruises and realized her pants were torn as was her top. I stepped around her and tried to wrap my mind around what was in front of me. I don’t know how many there were. There were men strewn all around the cage. Loren was inside of it. He had a severely beaten man pressed against the bars with enough force that the structure was creaking.

“Didn’t know she was yours. I swears.”

“Oh well. It’s fine then. You didn’t know. An honest mistake.” Loren let up, releasing his hold. The man stepped away, eyes darting from the cage door to Loren. Loren smiled kindly and motioned to the entrance. The man made it two steps. Loren caught his wrist and threw him across the small space, his head connecting with the bars.

“Oh my, you fell. My dear man, you are quite clumsy. A word of advice friend, she’s not anyone’s. People aren’t belongings.” Loren snarled and it rivaled Wren and Talon so much that I almost took a step back.

“Please, please. I needed the money.” The man pleaded, face already starting to bruise and swell.

“Hey, hey. I understand. Money is a big motivator. I too, am hard up for cash.” Loren smiled reassuringly as he crouched next to the man who’d crumpled to the ground. Loren waved his hand in a circle and a knife fell into his palm which he slammed down through the man’s hand. He was still smiling as the man screamed, “Not sure if you’re aware, it is a well kept secret after all, but you can make money without rape!”

He pulled the knife out and held his arms out, laughing incredulously as the man screamed again, “I know! Amazing right?”

“Mercy! Gods, mercy you demon!” The man shouted, holding his hand.

Loren rested his elbow against a bar, hand pressed lightly to his mouth and knife hanging loosely from his fingers as he considered. After a minute, he stood and turned, “Beautiful? Life or death? He made a mistake! He didn’t know! He’s just in this for the money! Mercy! Oh, I almost forgot. I’m also a demon!”

Amaris’ lips quirked in a cruel smile at Loren’s mock pleading, and I shuddered. Maybe it was safer if we kept these two apart? She walked forward and entered the cage. Pressing against Loren she looked up at him and then down at the man.

“I too accidentally rip people’s clothes off and then try to trip repeatedly whilst aiming my dick outwards.” Loren said, grin slipping into something a little less pleasant. It only lasted a minute before he nodded with fake sympathy down at the man. Amaris snatched the knife from Loren and implanted it in the top of the man’s head.

“Verdict delivered. Now, if you’ll excuse me.” Loren cupped Amaris’ face, kissed her, and left the cage. He smiled sadly at Rah and I. Then I watched him launch himself back into the battle. Amaris looked okay at first. Something told me to go to her anyway. Sure enough, as soon as she cleared the cage, she collapsed. I caught her and lowered us to our knees. Wrapping her in my arms, I registered Rah slowly coming up behind us.

“We’re under his control. I’m sure if you’ve come you know that by now. We didn’t want to do any of this.” Rah said as I held Amaris. She was silent, but I felt her tears through my coat.

“Then why did you? We trusted you. You could’ve told us. We might’ve been able to help.” It hurt. I wasn’t going to lie. I could take or leave Loren, but I had thought in our short time together, Rah and I had built a little friendship.

“They have his mother.” She kneeled next to us.

“His what? No. Never mind. I can’t even process this right now.” I sighed and rubbed Amaris’ back. I lifted my head when I heard rushing feet. Handing Amaris Rah’s hands, I turned calmly. A group of men had broken free. It wasn’t that many. Maybe six. I ducked as the first one reached me, spinning, and slicing through his Achille’s tendons. As I rose, I chopped downward. An arrow shaped strip of light ripped through the center of his chest. Leaning back, I avoided the second attacker’s sword. I dodged another swing. I misjudged and he brought it back, hitting me in the mouth with the hilt.
Why was it always my mouth? It was a miracle I hadn’t lost any teeth! The sword swung again but stopped before it reached me. Threads of crimson wrapped around it and the blade jerked from the man’s hands. The threads snapped into view again and fingers wove into them on the other side. Amaris’ legs wrapped around the man’s waist as she pulled her Magik taut. The man’s face was already bright red as she pulled with all her strength, crimson crisscrossed over his throat. I caught the handle of an axe as another attacker brought it down towards her back. Light extended from two fingers, and I slid them into the man’s ears, pushing until they appeared on the other side. Amaris’ freed herself from the man she’d dropped. Two left. We both stilled as we heard a shriek behind us. A bear of a man had picked up Rah and she was kicking and struggling for all she was worth.

“Go,” Amaris was already running, and I staggered as I took a hit. Throwing my hands up I pushed out a wall, slamming it into the man. I stood and forced it forward, collecting the other man as he ran for me. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. It was only going to get worse from here. Time to find out what exactly I was made of. My friends needed me. I needed to take care of these men fast. I snapped my eyes open and lifted my hands. The wall curved and lifted the men up. I flipped my hands and slammed them down, smashing the bodies against the ground. I lifted my hands a little and then pushed down until I heard the screaming stop and there was an unpleasant crunching. Shaking off a wave of revulsion, my feet were already moving in Rah and Amaris’ direction. I stopped short and let out a breath when I saw Rah wiping her hands off and Amaris scowling. They were both covered in carnage and looking past Amaris, I would guess it was the big guy’s head…deconstructed.

“You could have warned me.” Amaris griped.

“I didn’t know you were that close.” Rah whined defensively.

“What?” Amaris shouted, cupping a hand near her ear. I couldn’t help it. It wasn’t the place or time, but I covered my face and broke down into laughter.

The wine got to me again y’all. Nowhere’s safe.

Who here had "Fix connection with dicking!"
Raise your hand and receive a coupon for a wine outing with Talon. Hah. That'd be awkward for everyone involved.
😅I just...like I know Loren has a bad rap but I love him so much. Also Wren and Talon. I should unpack that probably.
Also, all hail Talon, the moody brat king 👑

Copyright © 2021 Demiurge; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 15
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Anders must be insane because he keeps repeating his mistakes expecting success.

The resolution to the lost connection was... unique.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Thank you for squeezing in this chapter!

Great fight scene. It’ll be interesting what happens after the temporary truce. Are we ever gonna deal with the fact that Talon and Rah are descended from royalty? Makes me wonder if the anti-Magik campaign isn’t some form of self-hatred.

Re: Kal severing the bond. He kept saying he was trying to help, but why WOULDN’T he try to kick the villain out if his head? He was saving himself as well as the team.

As for the connection, I thought sex was part of what built it! Not surprised that would help get it back. Touch, remember? 

Edited by Geemeedee
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Oh my, @Demiurge, in the wine cellar again; and I know exactly which type you partook…blush! Oh my goodness, so much blush for this one; but is wine suppose to have slammers?

With Kalian begging for forgiveness, and Talon trying to understand just when and how, this has the boys resisting the same mistakes. Without finding the correct words to express himself, Talon turned to his own special sign language, well perhaps reading the Braille of Kalian’s inner-self is more correct. Seeing Kalian needing his special magiks, Talon pulls out his wand and starts thrusting spells and special magiks reserved for only Kalian. Kalian’s enthusiasm overtakes him as he shouts his support for Talons castings. Whether his magiks or his poultice, Talon’s medicine stimulates and heals the damaged verbal and telepathic communication channels between them.

Operation Rescue Aramis results in a temporary Loren truce and perhaps some Rah spoken truths. The truths of Anders past and hopefully some news of his present; though it will likely still lack in news from Kalian’s mind blast, we can hope for some equally punishing pain and suffering for Captain/General of his army Anders, perhaps as he overextended his reach and powers.

Kalian finds even more resolution in protecting his friends and accepting the costs he must that beyond his control but within his obligation.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Fix the connection with dicking was not on any of my bingo cards. Prolly I-69, missed it.

Also completely confused about Loren. WTF?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..