Jump to content
    Demiurge
  • Author
  • 6,376 Words
  • 2,189 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
*Violence, adult content, PTSD, anxiety, depression*

Stoke - 21. Assembly

I was nervous and judging by Tyren’s face, he shared the sentiment. He flipped through the red-covered book and we exchanged a glance. We were in his classrooms. They’d been torn apart. Paint and other unknown substances thrown over the walls. Tyren’s desk was upright and the two of us stood around it. Our eyes roamed over the strange lettering. The words were combined Disputatio and Zunge letters. I wrinkled my nose. Not that I was an expert by any means, but I was confused. It didn’t look like a real language. It seemed to be gibberish scrawled across a page. I smoothed my fingertips over the blood red pages and traced one of the letter’s delicate hoops. The book’s words were written in a beautiful gold ink and I paused to wonder how the book had been made. Red binding, red pages, and gold writing seemed an odd combination.

A loud crash and the scrape of wooden legs across the floor drew our attention. Talon’s shoulders flexed as he yanked one of the desks out from under the rest of the mess. He sat it upright and hopped up. His legs dangled and he raised an eyebrow when he noticed us looking at him. His hair hung a touch into his eyes and was slowly getting longer (I still secretly missed his long hair). He wore a strange draping of black fabric that could loosely be described as a shirt. It left most of his chest, arms, and ribs exposed. I chewed on my lip as I forced myself to look back at the book. I’d been having issues with his clothing choice all day. There was too much muscle and black ink readily available for my greedy gaze to devour.

“Well?” I turned a page as I spoke and again looked to Tyren. It was getting warmer slowly and today Tyren wore a gold shimmery vest and white pants with gold trim. His dark skin contrasted sharply and it gave me a strange comfort that his necklaces, gold earrings, and jewelry had returned in full force. He was glowing in the faint sunlight, but his face was troubled now.

“I’ve never seen anything like this. The words are-I don’t know how to pronounce them. It would take me a bit of time to translate. I’d have to research. I’m sorry. I’m sure this isn’t what you wanted to hear.” No, it wasn’t. A part of me knew that we should be used to this by now. Nothing ever came easy to our group. I had fooled myself. Everything would be okay if we found the book. We’d find it, cure Talon, and live happily ever after. I dragged my fingers through my hair and resisted the urge to yank the long strands.

“I suppose we should’ve known. Who slams two languages together? How does that even work?” Talon shook his head, hands clasped where they hung down between his slightly spread legs.

“I’ll get to work on it as soon as the meeting with the gentry and others is finished. I’ve a lot of work yet to do for that and the trial. Also, Kalian, I don’t want you to be blindsided. Master Meteo has been sorting through the king’s paperwork. It seems he was planning to give you a title after all. We can’t promise anything with the state the country’s in, but the topic will be brought up at the assembly. It’s really the least they can do.” Tyren’s fingers moved over the red paper and he seemed lost to it. Master Meteo. The woman with short, white hair. She’d been with Hanja at my engagement party. She’d also been there when Anders had decided to execute me publicly. We’d never met, but if I understood correctly, she would be submitting evidence in my favor. I suppose that meant she was a decent person.

My own land. My own title. I was free of Mallex. I was lost in my thoughts for a moment. I stared down at the scuffed-up floor. There was a time when those were the only things I wanted. Why then, did I feel nothing as I neared my goal? There was nothing. Sure, we’d have more room if it happened. There were too many of us for Talon’s small two-bedroom home. He’d never admit it, but the other man was starting to chafe. He was used to living alone. It was different when we were traveling. This was more permanent and I knew he was having a hard time adjusting. We were never alone. Privacy was a foreign concept now. Meep slept with us every night and during the day Anika was there like a silent, sullen shadow. Talon had started leaving during the day and avoiding the house as much as possible. I rubbed my neck. Yes, more room would be nice.

“Come with me.” Fingers skimmed down the inside of my wrist and then linked with mine. Talon was so close. I had been so lost in my own head that I hadn’t even felt him come over. Now he leaned over me, lips brushing the skin underneath my ear as he spoke, “Tyren doesn’t need us. Do you?”

The teacher blinked blankly up at us as if he had forgotten we were in the room, “Oh no. I’ll be at this for a while. Feel free to leave.”

The main floor of Tyren’s building was destroyed much like the upper one was. Furniture thrown about and objects broken, it was clear they had been sending a violent message with the space. Talon guided me through the mess on the floor. He bodied open the damaged front door and held it open while I stepped out. He joined me and hauled me to him by my hips. His chest pressed against mine and I felt the air shift as his power wrapped around us. He leaned down, mouth covering mine as his Magik built up to jump us. I was surprised he had anything left. He had to be dipping into his reserves at this point. He’d used so much Magik in the last week.

“Great. I needed to talk to you two. Stop locking lips for a minute. We have things to discuss.” Amaris’ voice cut through the pleasant little bubble we’d been in. Talon let out the most pitiful groan and his power stopped. His face dropped into the crook of my neck.

“Goddess, I think you’ve ruined the brooding giant’s day.” Loren laughed as they walked toward us. Amaris grinned and Talon’s fingers gripped my tunic at my lower back.

“Great. He’s here too. It just keeps getting better.” He grumbled against my skin and I ran my hands up and down his arms, kneading his shoulders gently.

“Talon, did you forget a shirt today?” Amaris snarked, crossing her arms. Talon refused to look at them, face still hidden in my neck as if he thought they’d leave if he didn’t look. He raised his arm, middle finger extending in the woman’s direction. Amaris wore an outfit similar to the first night I’d met her, but in green, her hair piled atop her head in a messy ponytail, lips a rich brown.

“Amaris, be nice. The man turned into a monster, got stabbed by his grandpa, made his lover mad, and gained a child all within a few days. He appears to be struggling.” Loren chuckled. He wore dark brown pants with a loose, leaf green, short-sleeved tunic. With a start, I noticed they matched. I narrowed my eyes at her and she grinned.

“Stop talking. Your voice makes me want to stomp on something.” Talon finally straightened to glare at Loren. The other man grinned as he draped an arm around Amaris’ shoulders.

“What’d you want to talk about?” I tilted my head to the side.

“Loren has been asked to come home. His father didn’t know he was still alive. With everything that’s happened, the secret’s out.” Amaris explained.

“You never went back to your father once you found out who you were?” Talon’s hand slid up the middle of my back and he nudged his head against mine as I frowned at Loren.

“Why would I? Seventh in line and my brothers had already moved against me once. I don’t want the throne. I have the only family I want here.” He shrugged, thumb rubbing Amaris’ shoulder. I watched her subconsciously move closer to him, tucking herself into his side. I wonder how strange this exchange looked to anyone else. Talon refused to stop touching me and Amaris was cuddled up to Loren. I rolled my eyes. As if people didn’t think we were strange enough.

“But…” Amaris led and Loren sighed.

“I am going to visit. Sumerion’s visit was annoying, but he brought up an important issue, Dimian needs more allies. Strong ones with real bonds built. Eon suggested that I be an ambassador or emissary. Whatever you want to call it. My father has already agreed, but demanded I visit before it became official. I have to go after things are settled here.” Loren’s voice increased in whine at the end and he pouted at me, widening his eyes pleadingly.

“How awful it must be for you to have to be responsible.” I laughed softly, “Also, Eon suggested this?”

“He’s been making a lot of suggestions. Many of the military leaders were in the Oben. If they aren’t already dead, they soon will be. Treason, you know. The existing forces know Eon. They like and trust him. Plus, he fought alongside us to stop Anders. There’s stories spreading about us. They want him to reenlist and they plan to drive him high up the ranks. Again unofficially of course. Nothing’s official until the meeting.” Amaris giggled, winking at me. I stared at her.

“If everything goes well, he’ll slide nicely into Anders’ place.” Loren grinned, tilting his head to the side.

“Good. He fits the position well.” Talon shrugged, “It makes sense.”

“Think about it. Eon in charge of the military superior and Wren in charge of the Verseckt? Never in the history of the country have the two factions worked together. It’s exciting to think about.” Amaris smiled at me, a mischievous glint in her eye.

“It surprises me that Wren is still walking around out in the open. I thought he’d return to his cell when we returned. Hide himself away from the human world.” Talon mused, playing with my hair.

Loren laughed, “How would he stalk Eon around the city from his cell? The other man is never out of the little one’s sight.”

“Wren has even gone to meetings Talon. He’s doing it now.” Amaris said, nose wrinkling at my partner. Talon looked surprised and then shook his head.

“Anyway, I will be gone for a while. Talon, darling, I’m sure you will be downright distraught. Do try to go on without me. I promise I’ll return.” Loren smirked and Talon scoffed loudly.

“Kalian, I’m going with him. I wanted to tell you a little ahead of time. I’ll be back though. This will be our permanent residence if everything goes as planned.” She stepped forward and extracted me from a glaring Talon’s clutches. He protested and grabbed for me. Amaris smacked his hands away as she hugged me tight. It didn’t hurt this time. I didn’t feel like we were being ripped apart. I wrapped my arms around her and then leaned back a little as her words landed.

“Wait. ‘Our’? You will be living together?” I asked, lifting a dark piece of hair away from her ruby eyes.

“Well, we are together and uh, I know it’s fast…” She trailed off and moved her hand up. I waited for her to finish her sentence, but she lifted her hand higher. I finally looked. A ring. She wore a gold ring on her left hand, a huge emerald in its center with gold leaves twisted around it to hold it in place.

“It’s been, what, like two months that you’ve known each other?” Talon said, voice disbelieving.

“It’s simply a promise for now. We aren’t getting married. Some people aren’t afraid of commitment Talon.” Amaris explained and I took her hand. I admired the ring, mustering up a small smile.

“Yes, for now.” Loren agreed, waggling his eyebrows at me, “I have no problem claiming what’s mine.”

I felt a small stab through my chest at his words. Amaris laughed loudly, “Whatever idiot. I don’t belong to anyone. You are mine if anything.”

“Gladly, darling. At your service.” Loren smirked at me one last time as he stole Amaris’ hand. They strolled away and Amaris waved at me, smiling widely. I watched them go, registering Talon shifting nervously from foot to foot.

“Are we going to talk about it?” I asked. I was still turned away. I didn’t want to see his face. I didn’t want to see the fear there. I didn’t need to see it. I could feel it. Yes, how terrifying to officially join with your partner. True horror.

“Right here? Right now?” Long fingers slid over my hips, cupping them as he pressed against my back, “I have plans. It’s not fear by the way. Wrong interpretation.”

“What do you mean?” I snapped and tried to turn but his hand shot up. He gripped my chin and made me face forward. He kissed over my neck and nipped my earlobe gently.

“You think I’m going to be outdone by that loose-lipped, obnoxious, goblin of a man? I have plans. That’s all you need to know right now.” He turned my face then and kissed me hard, tongue slipping into my mouth that hung open at his confession. His hand held my cheek and the other one slid up my tunic to caress my abs.

I broke the kiss, “We’re in public Talon.”

“Responsibility and societal restrictions are really starting to ruin my sex life. Along with your crazy sister and the four-foot guard dog.”

 

*

 

I stood in front of Potlyne’s mirror, smoothing my hands down a new creation of hers. I was nervous. So, I focused on the black silk shirt. The long sleeves had slits up to the elbow trimmed with delicate white lace that also lined the hem. I wore white pants with the tiniest black pinstripes that made them appear light grey. She’d even made me new black boots. The outfit was beautiful, but it wasn’t enough to keep my head from today’s events. Carriages had started arriving yesterday and my nerves had built by the hour. I was to be put on trial and if that wasn’t enough, we had to restructure a government.

I ran my hands down my chest again and Potlyne’s fingers slid into mine, “Is the outfit not to your liking?”

“No! It’s perfect! I’m sorry. I’m nervous.” She patted my hand lightly and turned away, strolling over to her sewing machine. We didn’t speak much more. She seemed to sense I wasn’t in the mood and she was right. I needed to get going. I was supposed to meet Tyren soon. I didn’t want to go. I wanted to hide under the bolts of Potlyne’s fabrics.

“Ready?” Talon was in the doorway and he smiled brightly at Potlyne. He adjusted the cuff on his sleeve as I stared at him. His undershirt was silver and fitted tight to his body, rolled up on his forearms. He wore a black vest over top of it and his dark hair hung into his eyes. My brain was too stuck on his upper body, I couldn’t tell you what was on his lower half. I was frozen, but thankfully Potlyne came to my rescue.

“Well, aren’t you handsome!” Potlyne smiled and Talon grinned, meeting my eyes and raising an eyebrow.

“Are you ready love?” I nodded and stumbled off the small pedestal. He caught and righted me. He was leaning over me and I licked my lips as my mouth went dry. His eyes followed the movement and he smirked. It felt like it had when we weren’t together. Him setting me on edge by just existing and taking advantage of it because it amused him. He wrapped an arm around my waist and we left the room.

“I didn’t know you were coming to get me.” I said after we’d been walking for a little bit. We’d taken a few turns and were headed in the direction of the throne room.

“Tyren had to go early and he wanted us to make a dramatic entrance.” I fidgeted with the hem on my tunic as I listened to the clops of our boots on the marble.

“Did he actually use those words?” I asked.

Talon stopped my fidgeting and held one of my hands in his, “Of course not. It’s Tyren. He’s far more eloquent. He said ‘It would behoove us to present the two strongest Magik users in the world together. As a united front. Also, it would benefit us to make sure all who are in attendance are aware of where your allegiances lie.’ He’s so good for my ego. There’s also been a change love. Hanja is going to represent you.”

“That does sound like him. Hanja is?” I intertwined our fingers and his thumb caressed the back of my hand. Could Hanja do this? I had blindly trusted Tyren. I knew he would do whatever it took to see me cleared. Hanja was sometimes a wild card. I had no idea what he was like as a scholar. Obviously, he was intelligent, but I felt a pit in my stomach. Fretting would get me nowhere. The decision had already been made and why was I doubting Hanja? Had he really ever let me down? What was the reasoning for the last-minute change? There wasn’t any time to worry about it. Tyren wouldn’t have made the change if he wasn’t confident in it.

*

Dimian was broken up into ten major regions and each one had a hierarchy. My parents would be at the lower end of the aristocracy. There would be a duke and duchess and everyone under them was simply a lord. Twenty people to begin with and the number of lords per area varied depending on the region’s size. There appeared to be at least 50 people in the room. So many people and opinions. My parents had even returned. I ignored them. My eyes scanned over them as if they didn’t even exist. The throne room had been cleared and rearranged. The people were arranged in the middle of the room and the dais where the thrones had sat now held a podium with seats behind it tucked under a long table. Eon, Hanja, Tyren, Master Meteo, and a few men in the king’s military blue were gathered on the dais. Next to them were men in black robes. The king’s judges. Trials were few and far between, but these men had been appointed by the late monarch by hand.

“Show time love. Follow my lead.” Power swirled around Talon and the lights in the room were snuffed out all at once. It was evening and the marble allowed zero moonlight into the room. A few people screamed and I rolled my eyes. I clapped my hands and light bloomed from them. It spread slowly, drifting over the gathered crowd. The torches on the walls were lit one by one with the brilliant white light and the room filled with soft gasps of wonder and awe. Lights restored, I let my hands drop. The room was silent as every pair of eyes watched Talon and I march farther into the room.

“I suppose we’ll get started then since you made such a scene. Kalian Alauis, please come front and center.” One of the men in black griped, unamused. The teachers and military members including Eon moved to empty seats to the left of the dais. Except for Hanja, who began to make his way to me. Six of the judges settled into the seats and the one who’d spoken took his place by the podium.

Talon was tense when the teacher reached us. Hanja fixed Talon with a frown, “Go sit Talon. I’ll take care of him.”

“Good. Otherwise, I don’t mind committing treason again.” Talon smiled sweetly. Hanja sighed heavily and looked heavenward. Talon’s hand rested on the back of my head and he kissed my forehead. He walked through the room, head held high as people whispered and stared. One of the lords mumbled something and laughed, smirking in Talon’s direction. Talon grinned back and flicked his wrist. A slash of black shot out and severed one of the man’s chair legs. He tumbled to the ground. His face turned bright red and he hurried out of my view, mouth clamped shut tightly in embarrassment.

“Talon Verloren! Offensive Magik is not permitted within trials and assemblies. We will overlook this infraction considering your service to this country, but it will not happen again or you will be arrested! Do you understand?” The man at the podium snapped, slamming his palm on the podium. Talon held his hands up and smiled innocently at the judge as he dropped himself into an empty seat next to Eon. Hanja sighed again as he guided me forward. In his defense, Talon had told us he was not made for court more than once. As we rounded the seated people, I noticed a table with two chairs across from the judges. Hanja and I sat at it and I swallowed, resting my hands in my lap so I didn’t fidget nervously.

 

It was like being dissected. Everything I had ever done was examined and presented to people I didn’t know. My stomach had twisted when the judge at the podium had announced I was on trial for treason. For murdering the king. Evidence was presented. I had never witnessed a trial and Tyren hadn’t had time to prepare me fully. I knew the basics. They’d present the case against me, set forth mostly by Anders before he’d been arrested. Then Hanja would be given the opportunity to argue against it. It took them only twenty minutes to lay out their very flimsy “evidence”. They truly didn’t have any and I began to understand why Tyren had said the trial was a formality. It became more apparent when it was Hanja’s turn. He wore scarlet robes, his signature black crane in flight stretched across the expanse of his back. He stood and motioned to someone. Phelti appeared with a stack of paperwork as tall as her torso. She carried it up and set it on the table near the judges.

“What is this Master Chirurgie?” The man at the podium frowned, staring at the stack.

“Evidence. Lists of infractions committed against Kalian Alauis by General Anders Shikan and Captain Mallex Nainde. Examples of military conduct. Enough infractions for dishonorable discharges and criminal charges with trials. The list is chronological. The next forms are expenses racked up by the general and captain in their secret pursuit of the king’s protégé. You will notice the sum is astronomical and the time frame was over a year. There is a formal diagnosis and list of Kalian’s injuries sustained from the parties I mentioned provided by myself. The young lord suffers from potentially permanent trauma related to the literal man hunt General Anders orchestrated.”

“Hardly admissible. You were the Alaius boy’s traveling companion. Also this is not the trial of Nainde and Shikan.” Hanja paused to make sure the seated judge who had spoken was finished.

“Correct. I was his travel companion. That is common knowledge Judge Hovak. You are more than welcome to get a second opinion. I am the leading expert in Magiks influencing the human body. I have taught for over ten years. Many of the top working healers in Dimian right now were my students. An argument could be made that they’d be biased. I am also the country’s foremost medical and mental health expert. Which means that with or without Magik, I know more about the human body than anyone else in this country. You are welcome to contact a machtlos doctor or even one with Magik for an opinion on the young lord’s mental or physical health. I will warn you, though, I have written most of the reference material in those fields.”

”As to why it’s relevant, I’m simply poking more holes in the frankly ridiculous case that was presented against Kalian. Nothing Anders says should be admissible. He went on a personal crusade against the boy and is now trying to frame him.”

“What if we simply refuse to allow it all together? We won’t get a second opinion at all. Is his health relevant?” The same judge asked. I barely heard him. I was too busy staring at Hanja. I had no idea how accomplished our grumpy healer was. Our very first conversations where he’d seemed arrogant were thrust into a new light. I had also never heard him speak so much. His calm voice carried and was almost soothing.

“That is your choice. It is beyond me to make such a decision. I will move on to the next forms.” Hanja said calmly, “They are marked with labels should you choose to omit the lord’s health.”

“How much do you have Master Chirurgie?” The lead judge asked, wide eyes sizing up the stack.

“Enough to unequivocally clear Kalian Alauis of any charges against him. The next forms outline General Anders repeated violation of our laws regarding Magik related to the mind. We have listed the names of subjects known to be controlled by his Magik. Lord Alauis is on this list, as is Mallex Nainde and our king. We have statements from the Nainde family detailing a significant change in their son and outlining the man’s loss of sanity. General Anders broke the captain’s mind.”

”Continuing, there is also a list of possible victims that we were unable to confirm in the short time frame. You will forgive us. We had only a few days. You will notice, excellencies, that his majesty is on the first list. There are letters between the general and captain that outright mention the former’s grip on our monarch. We also took statements from the captured Oben members that they witnessed Anders’ control over the king firsthand over years.”

The men on the dais were stunned. Some of their mouths hung open and the man at the podium stared at Hanja as if he’d grown another head. Hanja rounded the table and looked around the room at the crowd assembled, “Ladies and gentlemen, we have presented a letter where General Anders lays out his plan to assassinate the queen. He’d already been in control of the king for years as I said. When his majesty died, Kalian Alauis was laying in the dungeons under our feet. He’d been badly beaten by the general’s man and force fed a poison that blocked his Magik and made him so ill he couldn’t move. This has been corroborated by dungeon guards.”

Murmurs filled the room and the judge slammed his hands on the podium until it was silent. Hanja stood and waited patiently. Once it was quiet, he continued, “When the general ordered the young man’s execution, Lord Alauis couldn’t even walk. He was carried into this very room where Anders attempted to steal his gift from him.”

There were loud gasps, shouts of outrage, and disbelieving scoffs at Hanja’s words. Evil men stealing your Magik was a scary bedtime story many had been told while growing up. It was, as it had felt, a violation so severe that I was unsurprised that people didn’t want to believe. The judge slammed his hands down again and shouted. Hanja looked down at me, the tiniest smile on his lips. My heart was hammering in my chest. It was like I was in battle. My adrenaline was racing as Hanja built and built on my defense. Hanja turned again to the judges, “There are roughly 20 witnesses that can confirm the last claim I made. Documented in that stack as well gentlemen. I understand this is not General Anders’ trial, but I must present his crimes to defend the young lord. Next I will- “

“Master Cheriurge! I think I speak for everyone gathered when I say you’ve given enough evidence. Does anyone dispute my move to drop the charges against lord Kalian Alauis?” The lead judge leaned heavily against the podium, gripping its sides. He looked very tired suddenly. No one spoke up and he nodded once, “That’s that business done then.”

The judges stood, bewildered looks on most of their faces. They walked single file off the dais and switched with the teachers and men in military uniforms. A finger tapped my forearm and I looked up at Hanja, “Kalian, go sit with Talon.”

Hanja made for the dais and I rose mechanically. My legs carried me over to Talon and I fell into the seat next to him. His hand rested on my thigh and he squeezed gently. He leaned over, whispering, “You alright? I thought Tyren told you it would be over fast? He made Hanja do it because of his lack of emotion. He thought his matter-of-fact delivery would make every detail hit harder. Hanja also put together that ridiculous stack of information mostly by himself.”

“I can’t believe it’s already over.” Leaning against him, I pressed my cheek to his shoulder. I settled in for the long haul even though I was already mentally tired.

“The next order of business is where Dimian goes from here. The king does not have an heir. Duke Keverin would be the next of kin as his cousin. He would be the Heir presumptive, however, Keverin has requested to be removed from succession. There would normally be a formal process for this and he would’ve had to make this request and had it approved. Alas, this is an emergency situation.” Tyren explained.

“There is no formal list of procedures for an event such as this. The law is not explicitly clear.” Eon said, arms crossed over his chest.

“Why would another Duke or lord not be immediately considered? Surely there is some succession order?” A man in a fine outfit of brown and cream stood, glaring up at the men on the dais.

“There is not a succession list. The king’s bloodline was dying. No one has said that a lord or duke wouldn’t be considered.” Eon answered, face neutral.

“Who has the most money? The most land? The most subjects?” Another man, perhaps another duke, jumped up shouting. This one wore a disgusting combination of purple and green. The room erupted into chaos. Shouts and insults bounced off the marble walls and the room threatened to descend into chaos.

“Calm yourselves!” Eon’s voice boomed over the cacophony and his arms lowered. He fixed the man who’d instigated the disruption with a look that made him sit back down, “We are all adults. You are all gentry. Show some decorum.”

A man in shades of red stood, “tell us this Eon Alauis, it’s rumored you will rejoin the military. Do you wish to rule with military force the way Anders attempted to?”

“I have no interest in leading a country or politics. It is true I will be rejoining the army, however.” Eon replied, recrossing his arms as he relaxed again.

“What about the Shadow Walker and Sun Bringer?” The man in red turned to Talon and me, eyes accusing, “What are their intentions?”

“Leave this city. Don’t come back.” Talon answered, “I have no place in a court.”

“I never finished my schooling. I will return to learning.” I said, meeting the man’s eyes.

“I heard,” The man in red turned to meet the eyes of the other men in the crowd, “That Talon Verloren is Dlethian royalty! A potential traitor amongst us!”

There were some gasps and people stared at Talon with unfriendly eyes. Talon smiled and lounged in his chair, “Congratulations, you heard right. You have enough sway to get your hands on a poorly kept secret. Have you also heard that my grandfather murdered my mother and your king slaughtered my brother and father? You’re spreading my personal business around. Let’s put it all out there.” People shifted in discomfort and looked between the two men.

“So, you admit you aren’t loyal to Dimian!” The man in red pointed accusingly, riling up the crowd again. The man in purple rose again and yelled in agreement. Eon stepped forward, hands dropping as they clenched into fists.

“No, I am not.” Talon’s voice cut through the noise. You could have heard a pin drop as the room held its breath. Talon draped an arm over my shoulders, “I am not loyal to a country. I am loyal to the man you insulted on the dais along with a few others up there, a few who are missing from this room, and the man sitting next to me.”

“And you, Sun Bringer? Who are you loyal to?” The man in red asked, eyes narrowed.

“I was born and raised here. I am of Dimian. My friends and I fought to save it from a man who would’ve destroyed the country. I have no idea what more proof we would be able to give you as to where our loyalties lie.” I made eye contact with him until he looked away. Talon’s fingers rubbed softly over the nape of my neck.

“I have a solution.” Tyren stepped forward, “I’ve done much research into forms of government. I suggest a restructure without a monarch. A country where officials represent their people. The citizens of Dimian have been starving for too long. We must address the greed and opulent spending.”

“You’d strip us of our power? It was earned!” The man in purple screamed.

“No one said that, and you earned nothing.” Eon physically stared him back down into his seat again. My brother’s fingers balancing on his beard covered chin. Satisfied with the cowed man he continued, “Your titles were either handed down through birthright or awarded by the king. We aren’t disputing your titles. We’re disputing what you’ve done with them.”

“That sounds an awful lot like the Magik teachers and military ruling us and holding us under thumb.” The man in red piped up.

“You would fight to maintain your extravagant lifestyle at the expense of those who live in your region? You’re meant to care for them.” I stared from man to man, genuinely shocked at the selfishness.

“You will keep your land. You will keep your title, but,” Eon eyed the man dressed in red, “You will be expected to improve the quality of living countrywide. Dimian is too wealthy to have civilians starving to death.”

“If not, if you remain selfish, you will be stripped of everything given to you by the crown. It will be redistributed to help the people. I do not have to explain that, for many of you, this will be almost every material possession. Including estates and manors.” Tyren said as he stepped forward to stand next to Eon.

“You have taken over.” Another man rose, clad in grey, “You’re threatening us.”

“You are not wrong. May I remind all of you that a group of nine saved your country. We are some of the nine. After dealing firsthand with corruption, we’ve developed a distaste for it. None of you noticed the king’s decline. If you did, you took no action. Not one raised any questions when the queen’s throat literally melted even though it was common knowledge among the dukes. Be glad that you weren’t all immediately removed from your positions.” Eon said, his anger slowly starting to show.

“Lord Alauis has a point. Those of you who were closest to the situation could, realistically, be put on trial.” Spoke up the head judge from behind me.

 

*

 

It would be a long time before any final decisions were made. I had won both of my small battles. I had been awarded land along the coast, including Krinn. My father would keep his manor and the land surrounding it. He’d also keep his privately owned businesses. I had my own estate to the south where it was warmer and the king had also given me the House of Waves in Syrin along with its staff. I had been given accounts in my name as well and I had almost swallowed my tongue at the total the king had deposited in them. I was still in shock, but the document had been signed, dated, and stamped with the king’s seal. It was an official decree. A binding document. Dead or not, the assembly chose to honor it.

Talon and I walked through the city and had made it to the third layer. Which meant that I hadn’t spoken a word to Talon in almost a half hour. I was lost, again, in a whirlwind of thought. So much had happened today, but we still had so much work to do.

Most of our group was still in the throne room. It had been whittled down to the teachers, military, and the 10 dukes. We’d left during a heated argument that was starting to escalate into yelling. As the doors closed, I watched the man in green and purple nervously looking at Eon as the noise rose. He was waiting for him to snap again. The man was terrified of my brother and Eon was visibly tensing. We weren’t needed and Talon had whisked me away. It was surreal to be walking through Syrin again. Our fingers were linked and Talon swung our hands back and forth. It was dark now, street lanterns lit along our path. Once we crossed into the second layer there wouldn’t be lights like this. I chewed my lip. Perhaps that’s something we should address at some point?

“What’re you thinking, love?” Talon asked finally. We’d reached the second layer and I lifted my fingers. Lights the size of fireflies filled the air around us and he smiled down at me.

“After everything that has happened, I never thought we’d get here.” He lifted our joined hands to kiss my knuckles.

Hiya 👋
This is wrapping up quick. There will be an epilogue as well.
As always, comments are my life blood and I thank you for reading.
🖤D
Copyright © 2021 Demiurge; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 21
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I like loren better when he's fighting and not talking 😡 Aramis deserves better, i was really hoping she would return to kalian and talon after being released from anders' control.

That trial was pathetic on the part of the kings judges, did they really think they had a chance?

The gentry deserve to live on the streets for a winter to see just what they've wrought in the very kingdom they're supposed to enrich and help to prosper. 

I have absolutely loved this series and i hope it continues after this book, maybe a series of spin offs or a leap in time to 5 years later? 

Demi 😘

Edited by SnowBear
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Yes, this is wrapping up nicely. That is what I’m afraid of. 😁 Thank you for a great story with exceptional characters. My hope is that you will write another story in the life of Talon and Kalian. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Kalian's 'trial' was pro forma and anticlimactic. The flimsy evidence Anders contrived was suitable only for an audience under duress.

The battles are done and now the hard work of reconstructing the entire country from the ground up begins.

The best thing for Kalian and Talon is to go to Kal's new estate for a long respite from this long ordeal while the mess is sorted out.

I've enjoyed this story immensely. I'm happy to see a nice resolution, but sad to leave these characters behind.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

@SnowBear, @Demiurge, I can understand the possibilities for spin-offs…., BUT, we have a great story that easily supports a book two; perhaps just returning initially to the power couple, their expanded education and languages research Kalian has been longing for. Of course, while balancing new family dynamics; Meep, Talon, Talon’s King Grandpa Asshat.

Kalian is such an angel. Of course many would appear so when gathered among such a family; a genocidal King grandfather-in-law, an assassin partner, an monstrous assassin brother-in-law, a demented mindless sister, and parents which sold there souls long ago…yup, Kalian is a brilliant white angel 😇.

Needless to say, if the political atmosphere is anything less than a supportive one with lords doing the right thing with mutual respect, then defensive training and tactics will probably hone the four foot silent ninja into a lethal weapon of mass destruction; Kalian will have a stealthy personal guard 

So @Demiurge, thank you so much for the journey thus far, … but please let the epilogue introduce the series’s book two storyline of our ying, yang, Meep, monster, misfit family! 😝 SERIOUSLY 😐! Book two, please!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

This one wraps up quickly and nicely, but with plenty of opportunities to explore, if you wanted. I want to read the whole thing again! The sign of a story well-told.

Thanks for sharing these characters with us, especially knowing how busy you are. I’ll miss the regular updates. 😔

Edited by Geemeedee
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Can anyone afford to keep the elixirs @Demiurge so copiously imbibed during the creation of this saga, going forward to a second book, I fear for his liver!😬 Zoiks!!!

A job well done despite my incessant harping along the way, to have elicited such strong reactions, meant you were on the right track! 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Well would ya look at that; the country was saved, the nine are all still alive, Mr Hair the Healer Man had fun moonlighting as a lawyer, Eon inherited an army, Sunbeam got his very own house x2 plus samdbox and, Ama got saddled with the goblin man.

Oh and ShadowLord got an upgrade - ShadowDad. Not sure who I feel more worried for, Meep the Magnificent or Talon...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..