Jump to content
    Demiurge
  • Author
  • 8,181 Words
  • 2,334 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
*Violence, adult content, PTSD, anxiety, depression*

Stoke - 20. King

*Language

The air in the tent seemed too close. Potlyne moved around me. Her hands worked quickly and fabric attached to my limbs and body. A new, thin, long-sleeved white tunic. A thick coat with intricate swirls of gold thread embroidered over the collar and down the front to conceal the buttons. Simple tan pants and boots to finish it off. It was far fancier than anything I had asked for, but this was normal for Potlyne. I smiled as she made me an entire wardrobe to pack. My raised eyebrow was met with a shy smile as I began to notice subtle black accents thrown in periodically. We didn’t speak much as I packed the things into my bag and sighed.

I was really leaving again. I felt like I never stopped. We were coming up on two years since I’d left home and I hadn’t relaxed since. I rubbed the back of my neck and let out a soft breath. I was tired. I could understand why the others didn’t want to go. They’d all done enough. More than enough. They didn’t owe us anything. They didn’t owe me anything. I knew that, but I still felt hurt. Almost betrayed. There was no obligation, this was true, but we were all bonded. How could they not want to make sure Talon was safe?

I thought about Eon and how his emptiness had returned when he’d thought Wren couldn’t be healed. If Wren had died, would part of Eon have gone with him? Their relationship was so strange, but I no longer had any doubts about where my brother stood and how important the other was to him. Wren was still recovering. It made sense that Eon wouldn’t want to endanger him to pursue the man who’d put him in that condition in the first place. My fingers hovered above the bag’s toggle as I paused. Hanja and Tyren had been the backbone of the entire group. More than once, Hanja had pushed himself so hard he lost consciousness. In Lex’s camp, I’d had to literally carry him back. He’d done it more than once. I knew that he would do it again and I couldn’t imagine being his partner and repeatedly watching him overwork himself to that point. On top of almost dying myself. I chewed on the inside of my lip as my brain lifted Amaris up for my inspection next. She’d been a surprise. Once an enemy, then a best friend, and now I didn’t know what we were. She, like Tyren, had been pulled from death’s clutches. She hadn’t even had a partner to fall back on. She’d weathered it all by herself while making peace with me and Talon. I couldn’t imagine the strength that had taken.

I closed my pack. No. I had zero right to feel betrayed. They’d been giving chunks of themselves for months now and I had no right to demand any more. I shouldered the pack and smiled at Potlyne. She frowned softly at me and took a step forward. A wrinkled hand rested gently on my cheek and she looked into my eyes for a long moment. She caressed my cheek gently and then patted it before turning away, “Forgive me for saying so, it’s not my place, but you carry far too much child. The weight of the world shouldn’t fall on such young shoulders.”

I gave her a strained smile and held the straps hooked over my shoulders, “I don’t have much of a choice.”

She nodded and looked away from me. I left the tent before I could let her turn me into a blubbering mess. Potlyne’s naturally mothering personality pulled at my more emotional side every time we spoke. I wasn’t used to that kind of affection. Now, I simply had to find Loren and we’d be ready to set out. I looked through the few medical tents, frowning when I was unable to find the obnoxious knife wielder. I heard footsteps start to keep pace with mine and sighed. I turned and spotted Wren strolling next to me. His eye was still a touch cloudy and the shiny white scars marring his skin made me turn away. My brain had a hard time processing that Wren, Wren, had almost died. He’d seemed untouchable, invincible.

“So, you really mean to disband our little group?” he asked, crossing his arms behind his head.

“It wasn’t really my choice.” I sighed and quickened my pace, hoping he’d take the hint. He either didn’t notice or chose to simply ignore it. Either was a fair guess with Wren.

“No, it is. There are ways that you could go about this to keep everyone together, but you can only focus on one thing.” His feet lifted from the ground and he floated in front of me as I walked, “You’re all so emotional.”

“Fine, then what would you do, all-knowing emotionless monster?” I bit out, stopping to glare at him. Wren tilted forward and rested his chin in his palms as he considered me. His claws tapped lightly against his cheeks and I recalled the feel of similar black ones biting into my skin.

“Think. Use your head. Is the best choice right now to run off to parts unknown to find a book that may or may not exist, so that you can then try and hunt down Talon? Connection or not, if he starts jumping, it’s going to be near impossible to nail him down. You don’t handle frustration well Sunbeam.” Wren’s voice had dipped lower than I was used to hearing it. His eyes had a dangerous edge to them as his tongue traced over an exposed fang tip.

“Who else is going to find him if I don’t?” I crossed my arms and a humorless smile spread across Wren’s face.

“Why does he need to be found right now? Talon can take care of himself and if he’s not communicating with you, he obviously doesn’t want to be found. A country is in tatters, you will be put on trial, and your so-called friends are trying to pick up all the pieces. How selfish you two are.” His feet touched down and a claw grazed my cheek as he stepped closer, “A one track mind will get you killed. You need to be smarter.”

He stepped around me and walked away. I turned to watch him go, confusion sliding over me. Was I being irrational? Was going after Talon the wrong move here? My eyes dropped to the ground as I thought. While it was true that a lot was going on, my friends had also suggested that Talon being on the run may not be the safest choice. If I found him, wouldn’t I be solving that problem? I slipped my fingers under the leather straps of my pack and looked up at the sky.

I was halfway back to the Wren’s tent before I realized that I had made any kind of decision. They were using it as a kind of makeshift meeting place. Eon sat on the edge of the bed, Rah frowning next to him. Hanja stood over a table, pinching the bridge of his nose while his partner pointed to something on paper laid out in front of them. Amaris stood next to Eon, scowling as she listened. Loren stood next to her and ran his fingers lightly over her shoulder blades. I watched him wince when she swatted his hand away. Their attention turned to me and Amaris crossed her arms over her chest.

“You really mean to leave then? Loren isn’t just talking to hear himself?” The man in question raised an eyebrow at her, chuckling softly as he rolled his eyes up to the tent’s ceiling.

“I had every intention of leaving, but…” I shifted on my feet and looked down at them.

“But?” Amaris questioned harshly.

“You’re having second thoughts?” Tyren asked softly. I looked up at him and he smiled in his encouraging way from where he stood. He straightened, “Kalian, we do need your help here. Amaris wasn’t making that up. The trial and arrival of our guests is imminent and we received more news just a few minutes ago.”

“What news?” I stepped closer, frowning.

“If you don’t mean to stay, does it matter?” Amaris said as she glared.

Loren rolled his eyes again and turned more to face me, “The king of Dleth is on his way. He wasn’t happy with the refusal from his grandchildren but still hopes to establish a better relationship between the two kingdoms.”

“How does he plan to do that when he openly slaughters people like us?” I crossed my arms.

“We’re unsure. He wants to establish relations and set up an emissary.” Eon said quietly, avoiding my eyes.

“When’s he set to arrive?” I sighed, shifting my pack.

“Three days. Seems he was going to come either way. Even if Talon and Rah snubbed him.” Tyren answered, “The rest of the visitors should be arriving by the end of the week. Perhaps you could stay until we’ve dealt with all of that?”

“Fine.” I nodded and resigned myself to waiting, “If anyone needs me, I’ll be in the second layer. Eon knows where. Loren, where is Meep?”

“He’d still be in the medical tent. I can take you there?” Loren offered but I shook my head as I left. There was one large red medical tent, the one I’d waken up in, and two smaller ones. I checked the biggest one and then another. The last one is where I found the boy. He sat in a corner, eyeing the other tent inhabitants suspiciously. They all gave him a wide berth and I smiled. He rocketed to his feet when he saw me and once again barreled into my legs. His hands fumbled into a small bag he hadn’t had before and he produced a small pad of paper and pen. The bag I recognized as one of Tyren’s and I could guess where he’d gotten the writing equipment as well. The pen scribbled quickly over the paper and he thrust in into my face, or as close as he could get it anyway.

“You’re not leaving?” It read and I smiled as I wrote back a “No, come with me.”

His eyes grew huge and his hands gripped one of mine. We made our way out of the camp and into the city. A guard in the regular military blue tried to yell at us and I waved light. It sliced to his left, cutting into the marble next to him. He quickly stopped talking. Meep and I continued. I was scared I might get lost as I wove us through the city. You couldn’t tell that a battle had been fought here, an enemy defeated. It was strange. The people were returning to their regular lives and there was very little damage to the city itself. It was as if nothing had happened. A violent confrontation had never taken place, lives had never been lost. It pained me that Anders still drew breath, but he would face trial just as we would. That was the only thing that gave me a little comfort.

I sighed softly and a small hand tightened in mine. I smiled down at Meep and ruffled his hair, exhaling in relief when I saw the symbols painted on the wall next to a familiar door. I let us in and sighed at the destruction. I had forgotten that Talon had ruined the living space. I left Meep in the doorway and shoved the glass over with my light. The couch was a lost cause and when I turned back, I realized it didn’t matter. Meep’s eyes were wide as he looked around. He’d come into the room a little and his small fingers touched the back of the remaining couch.

I took his hand again and led him to the room Eon had previously slept in. He continued staring as I made up the bed. I got him settled in the room, knowing the look in his eyes when I’d told him the room was his would hold a special part of me for the rest of my life. I left him alone, smiling as he bounced on the small bed. I’d drawn him a small map of the house, hoping it’d be enough to keep him from panicking if he woke up alone in the middle of the night. With Meep taken care of, I made the bed in the room Talon and I had shared. It wasn’t nearly as fun making it up by myself and laying alone in the center made that pain more pointed. I held a pillow to my chest and squeezed my eyes closed.

I felt stupid. It shouldn’t hurt this much. He wasn’t injured. He wasn’t in immediate danger as far as I knew. No, he’d simply left. He had to know that I wouldn’t see him as a monster or whatever else he was telling himself. Stupid. I wanted to throw something at him or catch him with a serious hook. My chest hurt and I was angry. Now I had to deal with everything going on by myself. I chewed my lip. It’s almost what I’d made the others do. I understood their anger finally. It wasn’t fair.

It didn’t matter.

I had to deal with it all the same.

 

*

I hadn’t been in Talon’s home long when there was pounding at the door. I returned to the main room to find Meep scavenging in the cabinets. I thumped on the ground and his head popped up. I pressed a finger to my lips and motioned for him to stay down. Then I moved to the door. It dragged me back to the Soul Eater’s hallucination when I’d opened the door to find a eyeless Talon. I glanced down and found my finger empty. The Soul Eater was dead. Anders was imprisoned. This wasn’t in my head. It was happening. I took a deep breath and opened the door. Much to my displeasure, Meep’s small arms wrapped around my leg. Someone listened about as well as Talon did.

Eon’s large frame filled the doorway and he frowned softly down at me, “They insisted. Told me it couldn’t wait.”

I raised an eyebrow in question and held the back of Meep’s head as I stepped aside for Eon. The boy watched him suspiciously and I almost whined as my mother and father reluctantly entered behind him. Anika was last and something tightened dangerously inside me. She was skin and bones, a ragged dress hanging off her once curvy form. She had bruises and scrapes everywhere and dark circles were smudged under her eyes. I closed the door and took deep breaths, linking my fingers with Meep’s when he tugged frantically at the hem of my jacket.

“W-who’s this then?” My mother’s quiet voice dropped into the middle of the awkward silence. Eon was helping Anika lower into one of the chairs at the small dining table. Never in 100 years did I think my family would be in Talon’s house. I wonder if he could feel it. Or if it made his skin crawl? I hope it did. It would serve him right for being who knew where.

“This is Meep. He took care of me when I was in the dungeon.” Meep stood in front of my legs protectively and I smiled down at him. Now in the light, I could see he had black hair with a slight wave and I ran my fingers through it soothingly as tension rolled off the small body. My mother smiled uneasily and fumbled with the rumpled collar of her dress. My father’s face was badly bruised and I wondered what they’d been put through in my absence.

“We’re going home Kalian. It’s not safe for us here. Anders had been keeping us prisoner. Your brother found us after he was removed from power. We aren’t sure what your sister went through, but we aren’t sure taking her with us would be the right choice. She’s not herself.” My father jumped right in and my mother winced as if he’d slapped her. Anika stared down at the floor. Her eyes were empty.

“You’re…abandoning her?” I frowned and Meep’s fingers curled in mine as my anger rose, “You’ve obviously been through a lot and you’re going to throw your last child away?”

“No, we aren’t throwing her away. There are more resources here. We would give you the mansion. All of you. Even…your partner could reside there. We would also provide a sort of, hm, allowance for her care.” My father’s eyes were shifting nervously from me to Eon. My brother’s face was impassive again. As it tended to be in their presence, I realized. It was a defense mechanism. I’d never put the pieces together. After all these years, Eon had been protecting himself from them as well.

“My partner. Talon. His name is Talon. You refuse to even say his name. I suppose I should be happy we’ve moved on from freak. I’m curious, are we keeping a tally? You’ve now failed three out of three children. You don’t know what did they do to her? Did you ask? Do you care? Look at her! You found time to change your own clothes while your daughter wears little more than rags!” I was yelling now and Meep glared at my parents as he stood guard. It was true. Their clothes were a little dirty, from the evacuation I assumed, but still in good shape. Anika looked homeless.

“You’ve spent far too much time with that man. How dare you talk to your paren- “

“Get out. Both of you. Leave. Go back to Krinn. Leave her with me. I’ll clean up this mess as well. I don’t want to see either of you ever again.” I interrupted him. He started sputtering and yelling, but Eon moved fast. He jerked our father up from where he’d been leaning against the couch. He carried the man, toes scraping the ground, to the door and bodily tossed him out. My mother followed, frowning as she turned back to look at us.

She made to leave and then turned, “We will send money. As much as you want. You’re right. We have failed you and if that is the only way we can atone, I will see it done.”

“Keep your money. All of it. Keep everything. Take everything you’ve ever given us with you and keep it. I don’t want any of it. Return to your house and spend your remaining days alone with each other.” I turned away and knelt in front of Anika. I heard the door close and exhaled harshly. My hands were shaking as I gently took hers. This was surreal. This woman had tortured me most of my childhood. She’d been cruel and had taken enjoyment out of my suffering. Her harsh words about Talon and I rang in my ears and I had a moment of pettiness where I wanted to put her out as well. Instead, I leaned up to brush her once vibrant hair out of her eyes, “Anika? Can you hear me?”

She didn’t react and her hands lay limply in mine.

“She hasn’t said anything since I pulled her from her cell.” Eon sighed as he plopped down in a chair next to us, “I had to find her dress and clean her up. I don’t know what happened, but I can make a few guesses.”

“Gods. Alright, well, send for Potlyne and maybe Amaris. She’ll need clothes and a bath. I’m not sure if I should do it.” Eon nodded and I heard the door open. I wiggled my fingers and Meep’s book appeared near my head. I wrote quickly and he nodded sagely. I smiled softly and moved behind my sister, gathering her wealth of dirty hair away from her face. I secured it best I could while I waited for reinforcements. The bruises littering her skin varied in age. Some were old and healing, others were very fresh. I closed my eyes and tried to get myself under control. What if I had left? Would my parents have dumped her in the damn gutter?

It took a half an hour for Potlyne and a very annoyed Amaris to file into the house after Eon. Amaris’ eyes widened when she took in everything, “Goddess. She looks half dead. What’d they do to her?”

Potlyne stayed silent and gently took my sister’s hands in hers. Her kind eyes looked up into my sister’s face for a moment and then she simply nodded.

“Come with me Amaris dear, let’s get this girl cleaned up.” Amaris frowned and looked to me hesitantly.

“Please.” I said softly. She nodded once and they disappeared into Talon’s small bathroom, my sister trailing them like a ghost.

“Wren and Tyren need my help with something. I’ll be back later.” Eon said and I didn’t have the energy to answer. I went through the motions. Meep’s big eyes followed me, narrowed suspiciously as I tucked him into the double bed. I smoothed his hair away from his face and paused. It had taken a while but it hit me that I was caring for a child. That was…unexpected. Not sure which god thought that was wise, but here we were. I closed the door behind me and returned to the kitchen table to wait. After about an hour, they emerged.

I had another rush of pain as I saw how small Anika was in clothes that fit her leaner form. Instead of her normal dresses, she wore dark brown pants and a navy tunic with a high neck. I stared for a moment at her hair that now brushed her shoulders in a blunt style. Amaris noticed me looking and shot me a sharp look, “Her hair couldn’t be saved. Matts and snarls. It looks better this way anyway. Doesn’t it Kalian?”

“O-oh yes, of course.” I nodded and Potlyne set stacks of clothing next to me on the table. She looked tired and sad and patted my shoulder gently. A knocking at the door had me ready to explode. I wasn’t ready for anymore surprises or visitors today and I felt a glare fall on my face as I stalked over. I wrenched open the door and found a haggard Loren grinning at me, his hair a mess.

“Kalian.” His grin widened but I took in the bags under his eyes and the messy look of his clothing. He’d been badly injured and had signed himself up to help me. In the meantime, had the man slept? Rested at all? I tilted my head back slightly, feeling the heat leave my glare.

“What do you want?” I asked softly.

“I’m here for my ladies. It’s dark now. Can’t have them walking the dangerous streets at night. My poor defenseless women.” He winked at me when he said defenseless and I could practically feel Amaris take offense.

“Excuse me? I can take care of myself and Potlyne.” She stomped up beside me and shoved his shoulder hard. A spark lit in his duo-colored eyes and he laughed.

“Wait, women? Your ladies? How is Potlyne…” I frowned. Was I missing something?

“Unfortunately, my lord, you can hold me responsible for Lorie’s disrespectful behavior.” Potlyne sighed, shaking her head as she stepped around Amaris. Loren’s eyes softened and he smiled the most genuine smile I’d ever seen from him.

“But how? You two look nothing alike and Potlyne how are you…”

“A servant? He’s not biologically mine. I simply raised him. Royals don’t raise their babies you know. Especially when the king’s fourth wife dies in childbirth and he remarries as soon as he can. So, I was blessed to be like a mother to him for 7 great years.” Potlyne smiled up at the man and I felt my nose wrinkle. How? How could she be the one who raised this ridiculous man?

“Not like a mother. You were my mother. Until, you know, my brothers sold me.” Loren wrapped his arm around the older women’s shoulders and had the decency to look remorseful when she flinched at his word choice.

“I came here soon after. I couldn’t stay in that place knowing what they’d done to him. Also, I’d hoped maybe I could find him. Foolish really. What resources did I have?” She smiled sadly at me, eyes wet with unshed tears.

“Lucky for you, ma, I’m nothing if not resourceful. It took me years, but I tracked her down.” Loren kissed the side of her head and I stared. Loren…acting respectful to another human being. I shook my head and was still processing it hours after they’d left. I lay on my side, Meep tucked into my chest. This had been one of the most ridiculous days to date. We’d stopped Anders. The country was in shambles. I was going to be put on trial. Everyone with a scrap of power was going to be converging on Syrin by the end of the week. The king of Dleth was on his way. Talon was missing in action. Potlyne and Loren were family. I was now a guardian to my sister and Meep when I could barely take care of myself. I closed my eyes and willed sleep to come. Anika was tucked away in the other bedroom. The clothes Potlyne had made were neatly folded in the small dresser and I had cleaned up the bathroom. I hadn’t expected the long strands of scarlet hair to disturb me as much as they had, but I’d had to take a break when I’d started gagging.

My sister still hadn’t said a word. I’d tried to get her to eat something, but she’d only stared straight ahead. It was as if she were in a different world. I’d given up and forced myself to eat. Luckily, Meep was far easier. The boy had seconds and then thirds. He’d even let me brush his hair. His only issue was with the pajamas. He’d struggled with me when I put them on and then squirmed for 15 minutes, pout etched into his face. I wasn’t sure what offense the garment had committed, but the boy was put out. Potlyne had made everyone sets in the softest satin I’d ever felt. Anika’s were navy blue and his were grey. I had eyed her for a long moment in which she’d studiously ignored me. She’d made me white ones and Talon black for whenever he came back. Black, white…and grey. I smiled softly, pulling the blanket up farther and willing myself to sleep. Fortunately, exhaustion seemed to be a lingering permanence for me now and I was out fast.

 

*

 

A threat. That’s all this was. The king of Dleth had no interest in making amends or creating a stronger relationship between the two countries. It was midday and we’d heard the drums long before we saw the Dlethian “delegation”. It was a show of force. The king had brought an entire army to have a discussion. I scoffed when the black and silver uniforms finally crested the hill. Loren chuckled softly next to me and leaned over, “Nothing says friendly like military force, eh?”

“This could be seen as an act of war.” I mumbled, crossing my arms, “You don’t enter another country with a force this large unless you mean to use it.”

“Very true. What do you think his angle is? Does he truly want peace and his heirs or is something nefarious afoot?” Loren rubbed the short stubble on his chin and raised his eyebrows, waggling them at me. I shrugged, rolling my eyes at him and watched a small group branch off from the bigger one. Four men rode to us and I studied them. Rah’s fingers linked with mine and I sighed as they drew near. Boots hit dirt as they dismounted and an elderly man studied us. He had to be at least 70 and appeared to have fought to survive every one of those years. Each piece of pale exposed skin was covered with scars. There was a particularly nasty one stretching across his throat that I knew matched one I had. Mine was much smaller, the edges neater. I supposed that’s what happened when you had to heal your injuries more naturally. He leaned on a cane with a matte black head of some sort clutched under large hands. His short white hair was streaked through with dark grey and his grey eyes gave me pause. As if I needed more confirmation, a ring with pointed triangles sat on the ring finger of his dominant hand. His boots and pants were black, a black leather vest sat underneath a large black fur coat and I wondered if Talon’s love of the color was hereditary.

“Well, I must say, this is the strangest group to receive me in my many years as king.” A slow smile spread across his face and I watched his eyes continue to roam over us. There was intelligence and cunning in those eyes and he made me nervous. This was Talon’s kin, his grandfather, but he carried none of Talon’s positive qualities. The man was a wolf in sheep’s clothing. I could tell with only a look. He may appear frail and old, leaning heavily on a cane, but I’d seen him gracefully dismount on his own. It was a show.

“Let’s see. There seems to be a very important person missing. Tell me, you Sun Bringer, did my grandson fall?” I wasn’t ready for his eyes to focus on me. He seemed to stare into my very being, dissecting me with only a look. For a second, his eyes flicked over to Rah and he smoothed recognition out of his expression before he looked back at me.

“No. He didn’t. He’s away.” I answered, jaw clenched. I hadn’t noticed how tense I had been holding myself, my shoulders were rigid.

“How unfortunate. I had hoped to speak to him and his sister. Well, no matter. Peace is on the table. Is there anyone in charge here? Is this an unofficial oligarchy? Are you able to make decisions?” His eyes swept over the group again and I watched his expression darken as he took in my friends. That’s right. We probably encompassed everything he hated. Foreigners, refugees, Magik users, and even his own family.

“If you wish to speak to a ruling party, perhaps you should have waited for a proper invitation?” I snapped and could see several heads twist in my direction. I didn’t care. I’m sure this wasn’t proper etiquette. Maybe I was going to make more trouble for us, but it was still true. He’d shown up uninvited to a country that’d experienced a coup and expected us to roll out a welcome party? No, he expected weakness. He’d find none.

His eyes met mine and he smiled very slowly, “Ah yes, I can see why my grandson was rumored to be so taken with you. Where is he little one?”

I bristled and stepped forward, “That’s none of your concern. You signed the papers ordering your own family’s execution over two decades ago. Your claim on them died with your son, daughter in law, and other grandson.”

He laughed and advanced as well. I felt Loren flank me. I glanced to him and took an odd comfort in having him at my side. He stood casually, looking up at the sky with boredom written over his face. He met my eyes and a rakish grin spread over his mouth. He looked at ease, he looked casual, but I had seen how fast Loren reacted. How fast his switch was flipped if he needed it to be.

The king smiled that slow, calculating, strange smile again, “Shall we make formal introductions? I am King Sumerion of Dleth. Grandfather to Talon, Lyrah, and Suman. You are, bright one?”

I noticed a man to his left that must’ve been Suman. He had stayed on his horse and leaned forward, chin resting on his palm. He had long pewter grey hair that spilled over his shoulder and the family’s grey eyes. The genetics in this family were otherworldly. Suman was just as pale as Talon and wore a silver jacket that shone in the sun. The collar was trimmed in black and thin black rings lined the long fingers that gripped his horse’s reins. He noticed me looking and raised an eyebrow, his indifferent expression staying in place. Why couldn’t he be the king’s heir? Why did he want Talon?

“I’m Kalian Alauis. This is Lyrah Verloren as I’m sure you know. The others are- “

“That’s quite enough. I care not who the others collected are. I will deal with you and you only since my grandson has deemed you his equal. I will tell you how this meeting is going to go- “

“You are mistaken.” Again, heads jerked in my direction. The king’s eyes widened in disbelief and even the indifferent Suman smiled with amusement, “You will not tell me how this meeting will go. You will hear the introductions that I make. You will listen respectfully. These men and women are all my and Talon’s equals. You will also refrain from interrupting me again.”

Suman laughed incredulously and the king’s fingers tightened on his cane, “Very well.”

I met his eyes as he tried to intimidate me with his stare. I lifted my chin and balled my hands into fists. Truth be told, I had no idea where the steel that now slid down my spine came from. Perhaps I was sick of being pushed around, condescended to. I’d had enough with Anders. I was angry. At everything. I didn’t have the energy or patience to deal with rude kings. Was I being stupid and digging myself a hole? Probably. I couldn’t make myself stop, however. I went through introducing each of my friends, making sure he acknowledged each one before I let him speak again.

“This is my grandson Suman. Talon and Lyrah’s cousin.” He offered and Suman inclined his head. He was leaning forward again, chin resting against his fist, “Now onto business. We wish to establish trade routes and a better overall relationship between our two countries. I would also like to appoint an official emissary so that the connection seems more…fully realized shall we say.”

“No final decisions can be made today. As earlier stated, we are not a governing party. At best, we can present your requests once a new power is put into place. Though, I have no problem documenting what’s discussed here.” Tyren smiled and a metal table formed. He set a pen and paper down and none of us missed the men from Dleth shifting uncomfortably. The king glared at Tyren.

“I allowed the introductions, but I refuse to speak with a being so inferior.” A hand slammed down on the table and I paused as I saw Hanja’s fingers gripping the edge tightly. His eyes were on the king and filled with anger. I’d never seen such a strong reaction from the man before. The king turned his attention to our healer, “What are you two foreigners together? Did I insult you?”

“You’ve insulted me.” I snapped, “Tyren is one of the greatest minds in this kingdom as is Hanja and if you speak to either of them in that way again, these talks will be cut short.”

The king glared at me and Suman looked like he was about to fall off his horse with the effort it took to contain his laughter. The king drew himself up and turned back to me, “Why can you not just give me answers today?”

“Are you simple? We aren’t in charge. This wasn’t a violent takeover.” Eon’s low rumble sounded from behind Wren.

“It seems to me that we’ve told you this, at least three times now?” Wren ticked three claws off on his hand as he counted silently, pink eyes wide with fake innocence, “Are we wasting our time? You don’t seem to have much in the way of retention.”

More laughter from Suman earned a dark look and the young man wiped at his eyes. He covered his mouth and looked up at the sky. The king glowered, “Can you at least speak on an emissary? A temporary one? Sun bringer, you could do it.”

“I have no interest in regularly visiting your terrible country.” I said, voice monotone and the king was quickly losing patience.

“I will do it.” Rah spoke up, taking a tentative step forward only to cower back when Suman let out a loud bark of laughter.

“The blind girl, oh that’s perfect. Too rich!” He cackled, tugging at his hair and I began to understand why he wasn’t the first choice for the throne. He didn’t seem to be completely there mentally.

The king even chuckled softly, “My dear, I do wish that you would visit, but I do not think you’re capable of this kind of work.”

“Rah can do anything anyone else can. She’s more capable than the jackass on the horse behind you.” Loren retorted, venom in his voice. Then he smiled sweetly at the king as he added, “Your majesty.”

“You. You’re royalty, correct? You could do it. You’re worthy.” The king sighed, sounding as if he didn’t believe his own words.

“With all due respect, I’d rather stab my own eyes out with a spoon and eat them.” Loren said, still in his sugary-sweet voice.

“There is no one here who would want that job. You have no way to ensure their safety and we have no reason to believe we wouldn’t be sending them to their death.” I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow, daring him to disagree.

“I did not come all this way to return empty handed!” Sumerion roared, finally dropping his kind act, “You will meet my demands!”

“Well, I see where my endless charm came from. No wonder why Dleth is so good at making friends.” Heads swiveled as the area darkened. The shadows swooped up and I stared as they took the shape of wings before wrapping around Talon as he dropped to the ground. I looked away as he walked into the space between the two groups. He wore a long-sleeved shirt with a hood draped over his head and that was all I saw. I didn’t want to look at him. He didn’t deserve it.

“Ah! Now the conversation can really begin! I’ve a deal to make with you boy. I hear I have something you need. You have a certain problem I’m told. I was gifted the answer you see.” The king exclaimed.

Talon stepped up next to me and I moved around, putting Loren between us. I tried not to let it bother me that Suman took the entire exchange in, a growing smile on his face. Talon didn’t seem to react. I glanced over when I heard the king exhale sharply. Talon held a red book in his hands suddenly. He smiled ferally at the king and I raised my eyebrow. Atop Talon’s head sat a crown made of sharp looking pieces of black metal. They curved upward to hold a black jewel above the center of Talon’s forehead. Two smaller clear jewels sat above his temples.

“No, you see, I helped myself. I don’t need anything from you. The problem with slaughtering Magik users and driving them from your country is you end up with a serious lack of good defense against them. Also, the problem with your family living a life of hardship is they may be forced into certain occupations. Say, expert spy and assassin? I walked right into your treasury grandpa. Is this important?” Talon snatched the crown off his head and spun it on his finger, smirking at the other man. His cousin had to get off his horse, he was laughing so hard.

“How dare you! I should have killed you all when you were in Dleth! I could have you know! Sent my entire army to wipe you out when you made camp!” The king screamed, face turning a surprising red color.

“Mm, you wouldn’t have been the only one to try. It didn’t turn out great for those other soldiers. I’m shocked you haven’t come across the bodies. That is all your shit country is good for. One giant grave.” Talon walked forward calmly, holding out the crown. The king grabbed it from him and moved faster than I thought possible for someone his age. The top of his cane separated from the bottom shaft and he pulled free a blade. Without hesitating, he jammed it into Talon. Talon dodged at the last second and it hit his shoulder instead of the center of his chest.

The king’s face was triumphant and I grimaced as I saw the thin blade’s tip poking out of Talon’s back. Sumerion’s expression quickly changed as Talon pressed forward. I flinched as he slid down the blade and gripped his grandfather’s collar, “You came here, insulted my friends, insulted my love, insulted my sister, and then tried to blackmail me. You will leave now or I will remove Dleth’s monarch from this plane of existence. And after I do that, your country will follow.”

Suman had one hand on his stomach as he wheezed, one hand on his horse as the two soldiers rushed forward to their king’s aid. Talon stared into the king’s eyes for a few more seconds and then lowered the older man back down to the ground. I hadn’t even noticed his feet dangling in the air. Talon yanked the blade out of his body and threw it to the side. The king stumbled back and gripped his horse’s reins before hauling himself up. He was riding away in an instant, no regard for his other grandson as his soldiers hurried to follow. Suman looked us over one last time and then climbed up into his own saddle. He winked at me and then rode after his king.

 

*

 

“Will you stop for a second?” I wove my way through the second layer, narrowly avoiding a woman as she spun around with a basket. She smacked it into Talon’s stomach and the, “oof,” I heard filled me with a mean satisfaction. It put a little more distance between us and I was nearing the house. Not that it mattered. Talon’s legs were four feet long and his strides were seemingly the same, “Kalian!”

“What?” I shrugged his hands off as he pulled me to a stop and then tugged me to him. He grunted softly and tried to keep me close as I actively struggled against him.

“I’m sorry. I should have told you my plan.”

I shoved him away and he ran his fingers through his hair as I unlocked the door to his house. I turned and tried to shut the door in his face, “How are you going to lock me out of my own house?”

“I’m not ready to talk to you Talon.” I pushed harder on the door. Long fingers curved around the wood and his stupid eyebrow lifted fractionally. He shoved hard and knocked me off balance. I stumbled back and he forced his way in. He caught me and pulled me back to him as he kicked the door closed with his foot.

“Love, please. I know. It was stupid and unfair. I should’ve told you everything. I shouldn’t have blocked you out. I’m sorry. Stop please. I was so scared I would hurt you or someone else.” He pinned me to his chest and nuzzled his face against my neck as I pushed at his shoulders. I glared at the door behind him and shoved hard. He stumbled back and then yelped. We both stared for a moment and my hand slowly rose to cover my mouth. Meep stood between the two of us and as far as I could tell, he’d delivered a devastating kick to Talon’s shin. Laughter bubbled up from my chest as the tiny boy squared off with the much larger man, completely fearless.

“The fuck is that?” He snarled as he held his shin. He straightened and I saw Meep wind up to kick him again.

I laughed and intercepted the boy, pulling him back against my body gently, “This is Meep. He took care of me in the dungeon when I was sick. Now I’m taking care of him.”

A floorboard creaked and we turned to see Anika peeking around the hallway wall, her eyes wide. Talon looked from her, to Meep, to me, “What the fuck is going on?”

“You would know if you hadn’t disappeared.” I nudged Meep gently and he shook his head, glaring at Talon.

“Hey, this is my house kid. Also, your sister? The one who tormented you? Have you lost your mind?” Talon sneered down at Meep and the boy lunged forward. I caught him again and held him tighter.

“Hang on. Let me get them settled and I’ll explain.”

“Please do.”

 

*

 

“They left her? After seeing her like that?” Talon shook his head and I nodded. We were sitting on the bed. Meep was “playing” with Anika. It was more of him taking care of her. She seemed a little better today. She would at least look at the strange pictures in Talon’s books with the little boy. Talon had been incredibly unimpressed when I’d set the books in front of the pair. Meep had sat my sister down and balanced the book between the two of their laps, flipping until he found a picture of a dissected frog. Talon’s fingers touched my cheek gently and I looked up at him.

“I’m sorry I left.” He said softly.

“I know. That’s the 100th time you’ve said that.” I smiled softly. He crawled forward and laid us down on our sides, chest to chest. His fingertips traced over my forehead, my cheekbone, my jaw, and then my lips.

“I wanted to fix it as fast as I could. I didn’t want any of you to have to worry. I owe everyone apologies. I don’t know how to even look at Wren or Eon. I’m not sure how I’m looking at you to be honest.” His lips quirked up in a pained lopsided smile and I started as I watched tears slowly glide to the sheets below.

“It wasn’t you Talon.” I tipped his chin up, forcing his eyes back to mine.

“It wasn’t, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not responsible for what I did. I let it take control. I heard you screaming. I felt your pain on the way to the palace and then I couldn’t take anymore. I gave in. It told me it could make it stop. It would make Anders stop. I believed it and then next thing I know I’m waking up here and there are bruises on your neck from my hands. Mine, Kalian.”

“I’m okay. Wren and Eon are okay. It was an accident Talon.” I insisted as he pulled free from my hands.

“Accidents are spilling some wine or knocking a glass onto the floor. They aren’t ripping open your friends and strangling your lover.” He tried to sit up and I yanked him back down. I climbed on top of him and rested my hands gently on his chest, rubbing up and down.

“Stop. Make your apologies, but you can’t punish yourself every day for what happened. It’s over. It’s done. You can’t take it back. You can only make sure it never happens again, and you’ve already taken steps to do that. We’ll fix the corruption and you can spend your days making it up to Eon, Wren, and I.” He studied my face and his hands covered mine on his chest.

“You can’t punish yourself for everything that’s happened either.” He murmured softly.

“Deal.” I leaned down and Talon’s fingers tangled in my hair as our lips met. His tongue slid into my mouth and he rolled us. I moaned softly and his mouth moved down my neck. One of his hands slid under my tunic and I sighed happily at the touch. My head fell to the side to give him better access to my neck and I almost jumped out of my skin as the door creaked open.

Meep looked confused and Talon groaned loudly as I smacked his shoulder until he got off me. I sat up and crossed my legs, tucking my hair behind my ear as Meep held out his book. I felt Talon’s mouth ghost over the shell of my ear. I shuddered as he asked, “What’s that? What’s he doing?”

“He’s deaf.” I explained and looked down at the paper.

“Where do I sleep?” It said and I bit my lip, pushing Talon’s face away as his tongue flicked against my earlobe. Oh, where indeed?

Copyright © 2021 Demiurge; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 19
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Kalian is a true saint to take in his sister after all she has done to him.

No wonder the king of Dieth wants Talon and Rah mow. There are no other suitable heirs of his bloodline. He may be cunning, but he's a bigger fool than the only other possible heir. I think their cousin Suman would be a lot of fun to have around.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Agreed, this was a great chapter! I actually loved the way you had Talon take care of his grandfather. How soon will it be before Granddad comes groveling back to beg Talon to take the throne? What changes will need to be made before Talon will even consider that as an other? 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Goodness, the misfits are a team, bonded and true. They each know the different levels of persuasion, and emotions they each face; the good and the bad. Ironic that this time it was the monster, and friend, that challenged the young Lord Sunbeam’s thinking by provoking him to think beyond his emotions for Talon alone.

Then there is the pretentious King of Dleth, but the King of terror gets burned by the Sun Bringer, not with majik, but with his strength and determination to challenge the arrogant ass in his spoken words…in front of his own “army delegation.” A truer strength and character for a King, yet the youn Lord is dismissed as barely worthy of any respect. However, the King gets schooled by Kalian on diplomatic protocols, especially when showing up uninvited.

Bonds are strong among the team, but none stronger than the emotions of the summoner for Talon, which must have contributed to the timely return of the sought after Royal grandson. Then the King grandfather shows his character when he fails to win the grandson with “negotiated demands.” Negotiations that rapidly flip to a weaponed cane sword of Dleth rule; a final cut of all family ties? 😝 

Cut family ties now has Kalian as guardian of his lunatic sister, which was/is under Anders influence, but quickly abandoned by her blood dynasty. But one’s family ties can go beyond blood, a bonding in spirit and soul; Meep. Meep cared for the young Lord in captivity and now shows devotion in protecting his family against greater foes; Meep!

Ironic that the dynasty mom didn’t find courage beyond money to support her family; instead the quick retreat that argues against their family’s military heritage. Yet the great Talon finds a more formidable foe in a shin bruising lion of courage. Yes Talon, Meep is family,..now, where is he to sleep 😴; MEEP!

@Demiurge, what a great chapter, and a wonderful summarizing reflection of what the team, the band of misfits, the Kalian’s family has been through; to make them what they have become. And then there is Meep…, I can’t help to get flashbacks of the quick, zany, clairvoyant and unspeaking, roadrunner of cartoon fame…Meep, Meep!

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Where will Meep sleep? With Talon and Kalian, of course! Talon is horribly possessive, but he’s gonna have to learn to share Kalian with a child. We can only hope Talon and Meep grow to love each other as well. 
 

Smart plot point having Talon (partially) heal himself without Kalian having to go get him. That leaves us to focus on the *really* interesting stuff. 

Edited by Geemeedee
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

we haven't seen the end of this, tho without magic, will he have to hire the detestable users to protect himself? BTW, why do I think Meep will sleep where he pleases?

The king’s face was triumphant and I grimaced as I saw the thin blade’s tip poking out of Talon’s back. Sumerion’s expression quickly changed as Talon pressed forward. I flinched as he slid down the blade and gripped his grandfather’s collar, “You came here, insulted my friends, insulted my love, insulted my sister, and then tried to blackmail me. You will leave now or I will remove Dleth’s monarch from this plane of existence. And after I do that, your country will follow.”

Suman had one hand on his stomach as he wheezed, one hand on his horse as the two soldiers rushed forward to their king’s aid. Talon stared into the king’s eyes for a few more seconds and then lowered the older man back down to the ground. I hadn’t even noticed his feet dangling in the air. Talon yanked the blade out of his body and threw it to the side. The king stumbled back and gripped his horse’s reins before hauling himself up. He was riding away in an instant, no regard for his other grandson as his soldiers hurried to follow. Suman looked us over one last time and then climbed up into his own saddle. He winked at me and then rode after his king.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..