Jump to content
    Demiurge
  • Author
  • 7,026 Words
  • 2,534 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
*Violence, adult content, PTSD, anxiety, depression*

Stoke - 19. Gone

*Violence
*Gore

Only once had I feared Talon and it was nothing compared to now. His head tilted to the side as he slowly approached us. There was no reason to hurry. It was like a predator stalking wounded prey. He stopped a few feet away and his eyes scanned over the three of us. Anders and the woman seemed to be frozen in place. Talon’s face split into a smile that churned my stomach. His fangs were longer than I’d ever seen them, as were his claws. He looked again between the three of us. This time he paused when my eyes met his. The girl pulled Anders back and he reached for me as well. A low growl reached us over the short distance. Black eyes were glued to Anders’ outstretched hand. Talon didn’t move and Anders pushed his limits. He gripped the fabric at my shoulder and jerked me back.

I had glanced back at him, ready to lash out, when I noticed the air around us stir. I turned my head slowly and came face to face with Talon. Recognition still absent, rage twisted his features. He had caught Anders’ wrist and as we watched, he squeezed. Pops and then a snap. Anders was trying desperately to get away as he shrieked in pain. He pushed at Talon’s chest and shoulders. Talon’s fingers tightened and I swore I saw bones starting to tear through skin as it was compacted. Anders begin repeatedly smacking his hand against Talon’s face. Clawed fingers gripped his hand on its next descent and Anders’ eyes widened. Talon eyed him as he lifted his hand slowly. I looked away as his mouth lowered and he bit into Anders’ wrist with those long canines. I heard the tearing, wet sounds of gnawing even under the general’s hoarse screams. I looked up when Anders fell past me. He landed on his side, cradling his ruined arms to his chest, pitiful little cries still leaving his lips. Talon still held his right hand, removed at the wrist. He looked at it in confusion before throwing it over his shoulder.

His attention returned to me and I tried to crawl backwards, to stand, anything really, but I was still so weak. He crouched and looked at me, face still confused as if he didn’t know what to make of me. He leaned forward and crawled slowly to me on all fours. I tried to control my breathing as he reached my feet and passed them. He kept going until we were nose to nose. I’d been scared plenty of times in my life, but in that moment, I almost couldn’t function as fear took hold. His head tilted this way and that and I could smell the blood on his breath. His teeth were stained red and, paired with his eyes, it made for an even more unsettling picture.

I tried to reach out to him via the connection, but the voice that answered wasn’t his and it spoke in a language I didn’t know. I hadn’t done much in Parler Noir and now I regretted it. I should’ve gone to get the spell book. Who cares where it was being held? We should never have allowed him to continue down this path. Searching around in his head, I felt tears spill down my cheeks. My Talon wasn’t here. Where had it put him? Locked away in some dark recess of his mind I wasn’t privy to?

I jumped when a black tongue slid over my cheeks, lapping up my tears. That was new. It was long and pointed and as he shifted closer, I could see it sit in his mouth. The black looked so strange sitting amongst red gums and the insides of cheeks. Pain lanced over my shoulder and a gold spearhead ripped through it. Its end goal was Talon’s head, but he was far too quick. He jumped back, shadows wrapped around him, and he was suddenly twenty feet away. I gripped my shoulder and grimaced. The cut was about two inches long and surprisingly deep for what I’d initially thought was a graze.

“You want this one? Come get him!” Yamisha screamed and dug her fingers into my shoulder. Pain jolted through my arm and I forced myself forward. I knocked the spear from her hands and tackled her to the ground. I could barely get a full breath in as we struggled. Her nails dug into my shoulder and she punched me hard in the face. I lit my hands as my chest heaved with effort. Everywhere they touched her, skin burned. She cried out and pulled a knife from her thigh. She pinned my wrist down and a moment later I felt steel slice into my wrist. It slid deeper into my skin and it was my turn to cry out.

She dropped the knife and flailed as she was lifted into the air. Talon held the back of her clothing. She tried to strike out at him and he shook her so hard her head snapped from side to side. Two fingers raised and dragged down her cheeks before jamming upward and in. Into the woman’s eyes. I turned on my stomach and began to crawl. Glancing back, Talon dropped her and waved his fingers, claws clicking together as he did. An arc slammed through her torso, bisecting the woman. She stopped moving after that and I tried to avoid looking at the bloody holes in her face. Anders was crying and still clutching his arms, but I didn’t have time to worry about him. There was a chance that the center of my universe might tear me limb from limb at any moment. He didn’t know who I was. I crawled best I could, the pain in my shoulder making my breathing even worse. I hadn’t thought that possible.

Fingers gripped the fabric on my back and I was stopped and then dragged back by it. He flipped me over and claws dug into my chin as he held my face in one of his hands. Blood smeared over my skin and lips as he adjusted his grip. His claws dug more into my face and I gasped. It hurt. The tips were sharp and had broken skin. I delved back into his head, screaming mentally for him. He released my face only to grip my neck, yanking me forward. His nose nudged gently at my cheek and then nuzzled down my neck as he inhaled. Did he know my smell? I knew Wren smelled things far better than we did. Was Talon capable of that now as well? It was my turn for confusion when that long tongue slid down my neck. His grip tightened and I shifted.

“T-Talon?” I whispered softly. Apparently, that was the wrong thing to do. The back of my head hit the ground and a low growl vibrated through his chest as he held me there. His grip on my throat tightened and he cut off my air supply. My hands pushed and pulled at his arm as dots appeared in my vision. It was happening. Talon was going to kill me. His mouth was lowering and I saw his lips stretch around those fangs. They sunk into my shoulder and I dug my nails into his, trying to get him off anyway I could as I screamed. It was no use. I was still weak and even at one hundred percent, Talon had been able to easily overpower me.

A blur of white hit his shoulders and a mess of snarls followed as he was tackled to the ground. I coughed and gasped, turning my body to the side as oxygen slowly filled my lungs. Wren had long claw marks down his back and across his face. One of his eyes was filled with blood and both were locked on Talon, anger and pain brimming in them.

“You need to come back. You can’t let it take you, kid.” Wren’s voice was weak and I could see him limp as they circled each other. Talon’s eyes were murderous. He darted forward only to spring back when flames blocked his route. Eon was barely standing. Blood dripped down his face from gashes that matched Wren’s but spread farther. They reached over the side of his head. Wren had moved when the fire had given him cover. He leapt onto Talon’s back, claws sinking into his shoulders. They would kill him and they would have every right. I had no idea how to stop this. I didn’t know how to bring him back to me. I coughed again and tried to get my hands under me.

“W-Wren stop.” They were too far away for my weak rasp to reach them. Talon’s long arms reached behind him and grabbed at Wren. The smaller man avoided them. One of his hands was free and I saw his small knife in it. Watching him raise it to slam into Talon’s chest is what convinced my body we needed to move. Talon roared and his hands gripped Wren finally. Wren had managed to slash at his chest, but nothing deep. Talon threw the man across the training grounds. Wren bounced when he hit the dirt and then rolled a few times. He didn’t move again after that. Blue fire rolled across the ground to Talon, circling him and trapping him inside of it. The circle started to drop in size. Glancing to Eon, I saw the grim resolution there. He was going to kill him. My stupid legs managed to run at the realization.

“Kalian stop! We have to do this! He’ll kill everyone!” Eon shouted as I ran straight for the fire. His clothes were starting to catch.

“Talon, jump! Love please! Get out of there!” He didn’t understand me. He was a snarling wreck, trying to put out his clothing as it kept to catching. I called light and slapped my hands together. It raced forward and as I spread my hands; it created a gap in the fire. Eon was yelling at me and I could hear someone running, but I dove forward. I wrapped my arms around Talon’s waist and pulled even more power to me. I closed my eyes and wrapped it around us. I didn’t know if this would work. It could potentially kill both of us instantly, but I had to try. I concentrated as hard as I could and we lifted from the ground. Then air rushed past as we moved. We crash landed in the living room of the house in the second tier. Talon’s house. My back hit the edge of the coffee table and Talon flopped over the back of one of the couches.

I’d done it. I had actually done it! I jumped us! My body sagged to the floor and I gripped the soft couch cushions, trying to get up. I heard something sharp scrape wood and then a hand gripped the back of the other couch. Talon’s dark form rose back to standing and I gripped harder. I needed to get up. I felt like prey again. Damn it. He rounded the seating and I stared up at him. He was smoking and I had to fight off a hysterical little giggle. His eyes fell to my hands gripping the couch and then he looked at how I was wedged between it and the table. I let go of the fabric and let my hands drop into my lap. Lightning quick, he flipped the couch over and kicked it away with his foot. It crashed into the wall in splintered wood and torn upholstery.

“Talon, please. It’s me.” I was beginning to rethink my plan. Bringing him here may have created more danger. Now they didn’t know where he was. If he killed me, he could be let loose on an entire unsuspecting city. He’d dropped back down and crawled between my legs. I slammed my way back into his head, frantically trying to find humanity. Trying to find the man I loved in all the evil energy. Was he going to strangle me again? No Wren this time to come to my aid. His face was in my neck and I watched his shoulders rise slightly as he inhaled. His tongue dipped and ran over the bite mark in my shoulder.

My body was a traitor.

This was not the time nor the place, but as he sucked gently on the wound, my hips lifted of their own accord and I moaned softly. He stilled and hands slammed my shoulders down on the floor. It knocked the wind out of me and the thoughts out of my head as it connected with the solid surface. I tried to focus again and search through his head. Fear ran down my spine in pulses as his fingers once again started tightening on my throat. He cut off my breath fast and I lost my patience. I flooded his head with light and lifted my hands to grip his face. His grip loosened and I pictured my light flooding his entire body. I chased the corruption around his head and then I found him.

I fell into darkness. I hit water and struggled for a moment to get my head above it. The water was warm and came to my chest. Almost everything around me was black, but a faint glow lit the space around me. I looked up and stared at the thousands of tiny lights dotting whatever was above me. I didn’t know if it was a ceiling or the sky, but it was beautiful. I looked around and saw a strip of glittery white sand sticking out of the water. It looked like a sandbar and on it…

“Talon!” I splashed through the water. I fell once I reached the sand, but it didn’t matter. The sandbar was only big enough for him and it put me directly in front of him. He didn’t look my way and I watched the black water lap gently at the sand. It looked like diamonds and I took a handful, letting it spill between my fingers. I waited for him to speak, to start. It became clear quickly, though, that he didn’t intend to do either. He was sitting, knees pulled up and long arms wrapped around them, head dropped forward.

“Baby?” I rested my hand on his shin and rubbed softly. Grey eyes slowly lifted from where he’d been hiding them, filled with tears and rimmed red. I scooted forward, pressing his legs farther apart.

“N-no stay away from me! I’m a monster!” His hands went behind him and he tried to get away from me. I wrapped my arms around his waist as I half-tackled him again.

I crawled up and straddled his waist, “You’re not a monster.”

He tried to push me off but I smacked his chest, linking our fingers. He attempted to tug those away too, tear filled eyes turned away from mine. Growing frustrated, I laid down on top of him, pressing my forehead to his. Both hands cupping his face. I kissed him slowly, holding his head as he still tried to squirm away. He sat up, taking me with him, and tried to untangle me from his body.

“You’re going to get hurt again. Leave.” His tears had dried and annoyance seemed to have taken over now.

“Stop it. I’m not going anywhere.” I straddled his lap and glared at him.

He wiped at his face with his forearm and glared at me, “Why are you so stubborn? I almost killed you, Wren, and Eon. You should’ve let them kill me.”

“I like the not-burnt-to-a-crisp version of you better. You have to take control back. Right now. You gave in, but you have to fight it.” He looked away from me as I stared at him. I slid my fingers over his bare shoulders, the pale skin lit prettily under the lights above. He wore only ripped pants here and I heard him laugh bitterly.

“You don’t think I’ve been trying to regain control since it took over? You think I wanted to hurt our friends? You think…I wanted to hurt you?” He frowned down at me and I wrapped my arms around his neck, holding him to me. His hand slid over my back hesitantly before he crushed me in a hug. He mumbled softly into my shoulder, “I don’t know how.”

“What? You don’t know how to do something? The great Shadow Summoner is all out of ideas and obstinance? You’ve dealt with much worse than this, love. Remember who you are and how strong you are.” He mumbled into my shoulder and I frowned, “What?”

“I said, I am pretty fucking great. Keep going.” His hands rubbed over my back and I rolled my eyes. I ran my short nails over his scalp and his eyes closed, eyelashes fluttering.

“You’re like, so strong. I’ve never met someone so strong.” I giggled softly, my voice higher pitched and dramatic. I rested my cheek against his head, smoothing my fingers over the short hair at the nape of his neck.

“Right, right. And handsome?” He pulled back to grin softly up at me.

“The most handsome. I love you.” His forehead rested against mine and the setting around us started to melt. I felt fear grab at my spine again as he smiled sadly.

I love you too. I’m sorry.”

I came back to fingers leaving my neck and more coughing as I tried to breath. Talon collapsed backwards, convulsing. I could barely see him as I looked down the line of my body. I could hear the damage his thrashing was causing, though. He kicked the coffee table and the glass shattered. I rolled away, covering my head. Snarls and growls filled the small room and claws raked across hard wood. I lay on my back and he pulled me across the connection. We drove back the sickly corruption that had dripped over his mind and soul together. He pictured a box. Our shadow and light forced his self-inflicted poison inside of it. He started shaking and jerking again. The animalistic noises died out.

I couldn’t make myself move. I knew I should go to him, but I was wrung out. I didn’t have anything left. No reserves as I’d used every one. After a few minutes he stopped and went silent.

It was over. It was okay now. Monster Talon wasn’t on the loose and we were safe. I needed to rest and it was okay. I had earned it.

We were okay.

 

*

 

Sunlight was streaming across my face when I blinked open my eyes. My throat was raw and hurt. As I touched it, I felt bandages. They covered my neck and the place on my shoulder where Talon had bitten me. I was thirsty and starving and my stomach growled as if to voice my discomfort. I sat up slowly, marveling at how easy it’d been. I had energy. I wasn’t exhausted with poison coursing through my body. I looked around. I was in a medical tent. There were people milling about, some injured and some tending to them. Goldenrod yellow eyes found mine and their owner sprinted across the tent.

“Kalian! You’re awake!” Tyren dropped into the space beside me, my hand already tucked between his two, “We were starting to worry that you wouldn’t wake up at all! You were out for so long!”

“How long?” I rasped, swallowing hard. Tyren noticed right away and snatched a cup of water from beside the bed. He held it up and helped me guide it to my lips with shaky hands.

“Three days. We were all worried.”

“You fucking dumbass!” Came a shrill scream. Amaris stormed across the tent; her face was angry but I noticed eyes wet with tears. She wrapped her arms around my head and held me to her for a minute. She gave it a valiant effort, but I felt her body shake slightly as she cried, “We thought we lost both of you.”

“B-both?” I asked softly, still pressed against her. They exchanged a look and Amaris sank onto the bed, sitting next to my extended legs. Tyren looked away from me, letting out a heavy sigh as his cheerful face fell into sadness.

“Talon is missing.” Came yet another voice. Loren grinned at me as Rah helped him over. He walked slowly, wincing every few steps. Small cuts, scrapes, and nasty purple bruises littered his exposed skin. He wore a sleeveless black shirt and pants. I could see his tattoo peeking up over his shoulder just barely. Rah helped him sit on the bed next to mine and looked nervously in my direction.

“What do you mean he’s missing? I was with him when I passed out.” Dread and panic were starting to creep over me. What had happened? Had someone attacked him when I was unconscious? Where would he even go? No, someone had to have taken him. There’s no way Talon would leave me like this.

“We found you wrapped in a blanket outside the medical tent. Only you.” Tyren explained, hands now folded in his lap as he continued to avoid my eyes.

“No one knows where he is.” Amaris added, a frown dropping her pretty features, “It’s been three days and he hasn’t contacted anyone. Eon even went to look, but with his jumping it’s impossible to track Talon if he doesn’t want you to know where he is.”

“As much as I miss the brooding giant, we have other important things to discuss.” Loren said softly, smiling sympathetically at me.

“Nothing is as important as Talon.” I snapped back, glaring at him. Amaris ran fingers through her hair, arranging the dark waves over her shoulder.

“Kalian, the monarchs, The Oben, and Anders are all gone. Dimian has no ruling force. The country is about to dissolve into chaos.” Tyren said after a tense moment.

“What happened to Anders?” I stared at him until he looked at me.

“I set him on fire. Then I put it out. He’s in the dungeon now. Heavily sedated thanks to a friend of Tyren’s.” Eon’s flat voice drew my attention as he walked up behind Tyren. Long white scars stretched over his face.

“Wren?” I met his eyes and Eon didn’t hide the flash of pain.

“He…” He looked away and I watched his fists clench tightly.

“Where is he?” I sat up straighter.

“Hanja has been trying to heal him for days, but his body is different. His injuries were extensive and Hanja’s Magik isn’t working. It isn’t working like it did after the soul eater.” Tyren explained softly.

“Take me to him.” Tyren began to protest and I simply pushed him out of my way. My legs were a little wobbly as I rested a hand on the bed for support. I met my brother’s eyes again, “Eon, take me to Wren.”

He offered me his arm without a word and guided me from the tent. I was startled to see a dark grey tent a small distance away with the Verseckt symbol. It seemed that Wren’s assassins still respected him as a leader. The tent was simple. There was a changing screen and a double bed. Wren lay in the middle, looking impossibly small. With how ferocious he was, I sometimes forgot he was as small as Amaris. Even smaller as his build with so slim. He looked pale and tiny and Eon stepped around me. He absentmindedly stroked the hair out of Wren’s eyes before crouching next to the bed. Wren’s entire torso was bandaged and blood was spreading across the white material. His face was also wrapped up and a small metal device sat around his neck. The tips of it sat under his chin and looked to be padded sightly.

“His neck is broken. Tyren made that so it doesn’t move.” Eon explained, voice dead as he stood and followed my eyes. He held bandages and a jar of something. He changed the bandages on Wren’s face first and I cringed away from the deep, bloody gashes in his skin. His nose scrunched the tiniest bit as Eon cleaned his wounds and robotically changed all his bandages.

“Well, welcome back Kalian. Glad you’re alive.” I didn’t look at Hanja. I watched Eon finish. His eyes were empty, his face blank. It was like before everything had happened. When Eon hid away all his emotions behind a mask that was always in place. I didn’t know what he was thinking and that worried me. My partner had almost killed his. Talon had almost killed him too, for that matter.

“Was there any change?” Hanja murmured as he stepped up on the other side of the bed. He looked haggard, dark purple circles under his eyes.

“No, nothing’s healed any more. I tried giving him more blood, but he won’t swallow it. I’m worried he’ll choke.” Eon stared down at the still form, fingers tucking a stray piece of white hair behind an ear.

“I’ll try again Eon. I’ve rested bit.” Hanja sighed and raised his hands. He wasn’t even wearing gloves. He’d been working for some time then. Eon didn’t answer. He curled his fingers around white claws and watched the red glow work over Wren’s body. Taking a breath, I leaned forward. I mumbled spells and then pictured my light closing the wounds on Wren’s chest. Red and white light mixed under my palms and sunk into the long gashes that were hidden under white bandages. Hanja was staring as light slipped through the torn edges of skin like a needle, knitting it back together. I leaned more forward, gripping Hanja’s hands in mine. His Magik seemed to boost mine and we worked in silence. I staggered back when he let go. He looked from his hands to mine as I sat on the floor. As far as I knew, no one had ever done anything like that before.

The bed shifted and a low groan left Wren, “That was awful. Healer you’re useless. Eon your hands are too rough. You’re not supposed to rip off skin when you change bandages.” Wren sat up, glaring at Hanja and Eon’s wide eyes and gaping mouths. He ripped the bandage off his face and I noticed his left eye was a little cloudy. His claws shredded the bandages on his torso and he grumpily threw them at Eon. Shiny white scars spread over his chest and he pouted, tracing them with his claws. Eon stood for a moment. The shock was clear on his face as he loosely held the bandage carnage.

Then he dropped them and surged forward. His large hands looked almost comical on Wren’s small face as he kissed him. He had climbed onto the bed and overtook the hissing white-haired monster quickly. Wren snarled as they fell over and I turned away as my brother muffled anymore noises with his mouth. Hanja hooked an arm through mine and we hustled out of the room before we were traumatized by anything we saw.

“Your brother has been taking shifts between his side and yours. I don’t know that he’s really slept. I think his body has shut down a couple times involuntarily, but I haven’t seen the man lay down. He was worried sick over you both.” Hanja said, rubbing his face.

“Have you been sleeping?” I asked as we walked back the way Eon and I had come.

“There were a lot injured when the city was evacuated and everything happened. I’ve been working non-stop. With you and Wren on the mend, though, it’ll be easier.” Someone called for him and he turned. Phelti walked in our direction. She nodded to me and I could see the fatigue in the way she held herself as well. She dragged him off in another direction in a rush. I hobbled back into the tent I’d left earlier. The others were still there, talking quietly. The conversation abruptly cut off when I got close enough to hear.

“What’s going on?” I flopped back onto the bed and levelled a glare at each of the people present.

“Is Wren okay?” Amaris asked, meeting my eyes defiantly.

“Hanja and I were able to heal him. Eon’s taking care of him now.” I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow expectantly.

“Your man almost killed three of the most powerful people in the country without battin’ an eyelash and then disappeared like a puff of smoke. People are…concerned.” Loren sighed, rubbing his cheek. At least he was honest. He wasn’t trying to keep things from me like the others were. He had cut to the chase.

“He stopped himself.” I argued, nails digging into my own arms as I tried to ground myself.

“No. He didn’t. From what we can tell, you stopped him.” Rah said, hands folded neatly on her lap. She looked sad, and her eyes were bare as she tilted her head in my direction. I didn’t want to have this conversation. So, I focused on anything else. It was warm in the tent. Rah wore a deep emerald dress with a high slit, and her signature boots. Her hair was down and the white and grey contrasted sharply with each other. Amaris wore leather pants and a scarlet jacket with gold trim, her hair loose for once. Even Tyren seemed dressed up. His colors were back. He wore a turquoise scarf draped over his chest and bright orange pants. His wealth of gold earrings lined his ears again and different lengths of gold chains hung around his neck. What was happening? Was it just that we were home? Other than Loren and me, everyone looked like they wore some of their best clothes.

“Kalian. There’s been a call. All in Dimian who hold power, all the lords, the wealthy merchants, the school’s teachers, everyone. They’ve all been called to Syrin to sort out where the country goes from here. Your presence was almost demanded.” Tyren sighed softly, twiddling his thumbs.

“Who made the call?” I snapped, irritation bubbling over, “And why do the others attending think they can demand anything of me?”

“We made the call.” Loren said seriously. He shifted and winced, readjusting his position, “We can’t overthrow a ruling party and then leave it. The civilians would suffer. Chaos would erupt and people would die as everyone fights for a scrap of power. They want you there because they think you killed the king. They want a trial. For all of us. They also want you there because your power isn’t a secret. Everyone wants a chance to gawk at the Sun Bringer.”

“How do we call a meeting and get put on trial?” This was idiocy. The dumbest thing I’d ever heard. I was locked up. How could I have possibly killed the king? Would they try to blame the queen on me as well? We saved their country from Anders and this was the thanks we got? Amazing.

“It’s a formality.” Tyren rushed to explain, “I’ve given them the correspondence between Mallex and Anders. There are plenty of witnesses who place you in the dungeon when Anders claimed the king died. No charges will be raised against you. They’re aware of what you’ve done and sacrificed.”

I had no patience for politics. They talked and I tried to listen. They discussed who would be coming, who would oppose what, our strategy for the meeting, and a great many other things. I didn’t care. My mind had left the room. It searched across the connection and slammed rapidly into high, black, mental walls. Bastard. First, he leaves and then he won’t let me in? I shook my head. I wasn’t above hunting my own partner down. I’d tracked him down before and I would do it again. I was tired, frustrated, and waking up to his absence had permanently soured my mood.

“There’s more.” Rah interrupted my unpleasant thoughts, “Our grandfather wants to come here for an audience. He claims that coming to us is a show of good will.”

“I assume he thinks Talon is here?” I sighed, resting my head in my hands.

“Yes, he would much prefer to speak with his grandson. Most of the letter was addressed to Talon personally. I guess he’s impressed. He’s been told stories of his strength.” Rah agreed, bitterness creeping into her tone. Again, conversation started and I didn’t care. I pushed harder at Talon’s defenses, growing angrier by the minute.

If you can hear me, you’re a fucking coward.

I poured as much bite as I could into the thought and looked up when Wren and Eon came into the tent. They both looked a little worse for wear, but Eon’s mask had slipped a little. He tugged Wren to him by his narrow shoulders. Wren hissed and smacked at his chest, “Stop touching me!”

“Wren!” Amaris exclaimed, covering her mouth as she teared up again.

“No. We’re not doing that. You’ve already cried around me enough this month. Sunbeam, glad Talon didn’t kill you either.” Wren nodded to me. He smiled softly and it seemed to communicate for us in the crowded space. Wren wasn’t angry. He didn’t want revenge. He was over it. I tilted my head in Eon’s direction and Wren shook his head. His smile slipped right off his face.

“We were discussing Dleth and what’s happened after we sent out the call.” Tyren explained. He relaxed visibly as Hanja squeezed through the crowd now gathered around my bed. His hands rested on Tyren’s hips and he let out a breath as his forehead rested against the other man’s back. Tyren reached back to stroke the back of his head gently, still facing forward.

“Who cares about Dleth?” Eon grunted, crossing his arms.

“They want to meet with Rah and Talon. Hard when we’ve no idea where horn boy is.” Loren raised an eyebrow when our eyes met. He inclined his head and smirked. There he was. He’d been oddly subdued up to this point and it was unnerving.

“Again, I don’t care about Dleth. I also don’t care about Talon.” My head jerked and I stared up at Eon, hurt slicing through my heart. He shrugged off my gaze and glared down at Loren, “Unless you want to find him? He’s tried to kill you too. Good luck.”

“He also saved my life.” Loren looked over his shoulder at my brother, “I understand you almost lost the pint-sized tornado of violence, but Talon has always protected all of you and me when he had to. It seems to be his default setting even though he’s very murdery.”

“His default setting is violence. He almost killed my brother too. The person he claims to love.” I’d had it. Light slammed into Eon’s chest. It wasn’t sharp but blunt and firm. He lost a few steps and his eyes narrowed on me, “Am I wrong Kalian? He would’ve choked the life out of you had Wren not intervened.”

“He wasn’t himself. He wasn’t the one controlling his actions. You don’t get to question what Talon and I have. He’s not a monster. It’s Talon for gods’ sake. He’s your friend. He’s been a friend to all of you. Sure, he’s rough around the edges, but he always cared and he tried harder than you know.” Hanja’s arms had wrapped around Tyren from behind. He was looking at me seriously, a frown etched into his face. Tyren looked miserable glancing between Eon and I. Amaris and Loren exchanged a glance and she looked away.

Loren’s hands rubbed down his face roughly, “We’ve been talking about it and we’re not sure that it’s safe for Talon’s whereabouts to remain unknown. Once they’re known, we think it may be best if he’s…collared?”

“Like an animal?” I was moving to stand again, anger bubbling up quickly.

“Kalian, with what he’s done…if it can take control like that, how do we know it won’t happen again? What if you hadn’t been there? What if it hadn’t mattered? Talon is capable of wiping out hundreds, especially under the influence of whatever that is.” Amaris pleaded softly, trying to take my hand. I snatched it away from her. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

“There’s a way to stop the corruption. A book that was gifted to Dleth. We can get the book and free him from it. Wren maybe we can even free you.” My voice was rising as my anxiety and fear did.

“I’m not sure that any of us are up for another adventure.” Tyren said as he stared down at his feet. Hanja’s hands rubbed up and down his sides, soothingly.

“No, I don’t think I can do it again Kal. I’m so tired and we’re needed here. You’re needed here.” Amaris said, her eyes locked with Loren’s again. He frowned and stared off into space, a troubled look on his face.

“You already know my answer.” Eon practically spit the words and Wren glared up at him but stayed silent. It felt like Anders was reaching inside me again. Only this time he was trying to rip out my heart and crush it.

“We can bind his power temporarily Kalian. It’s not permanent. We can fix the tainted part of his Magik and then return his power to him.” Rah said, her words coming out fast as she noticed the situation crumbling.

“No. Don’t bother. Any of you. I know what it feels like to be powerless and have your power taken. I’ve experienced both and I won’t do that to him. I’ll get the book myself and I’ll find him the same way.” I pushed through them, shoving Eon hard out of my way. I was out of the tent and stomping through the camp when I heard someone call my name.

“Hey! Hey, you’re gonna have to slow down. My leg’s fucked.” I turned and waited for Loren to catch up. He was panting and resting his hands on his knees as he sucked air into his body. He straightened and grinned, “You need someone who’s reasonably good with a knife on this ‘adventure’?”

My eyes dipped down to his leg and he rolled his eyes, “Hanja hasn’t had time. He’s going to fix it tomorrow after he sleeps. Promise I’m not a helpless cripple.”

“You’re not scared of him hurting you again?” I rubbed the back of my neck as I sighed.

“No. When he did it, I had betrayed your group and you were taken. It was justified. No hard feelings. Plus, god you’re both so fucking nice to look at.” He smirked and I rolled my eyes. We both turned as footsteps approached us. Hanja glared at us both and then clapped his hand on Loren’s shoulder. The brunette’s smile crumpled and he cried out. He fell onto his hands and knees. Hanja lowered with him far more gracefully and I heard bones snapping. When he’d finished, Hanja dusted his hands off on his pants and fixed me with one last look. He stumbled a little and held his head as he walked away from us slowly.

He threw words over his shoulder as he left, voice tired, “Bring him back. The real one. Not the mindless creature.”

“So, he barely talks, do you think he’s loud in bed?” Loren asked when silence stretched between us. As he huffed the words out between breaths, “What I wouldn’t give…”

“You’re disgusting.” I sighed and tried to figure out where to start.

“You have no idea.” He stood and grinned, “So, back to Dleth or what’s the plan? We need a book. Are we going to bore the evil out of him?”

“Do you ever stop talking?” I asked as he motioned for me to follow. If we managed to get the book, would we even be able to find Talon?

“Do you know where he is?” Loren asked as he guided me through the camp.

“No. But I’ve used our connection to find him before.”

“I could hit on you again. Get a little hands on? I bet he’d come running!” He met my scowl with a loud laugh and a broad grin. I was already regretting everything as a small form ran into my legs. I swayed but managed to stay upright as bright green eyes looked up at me from a tiny body.

"Meep!" I tugged him into my arms and crushed him to my chest. He patted my head gently and I wiped at my eyes. Guilt flooded through me immediately. With what had happened, I had just assumed the poor boy was dead. He made a series of motions with his hands after we separated and I frowned in confusion.

"Ahh, deaf." Loren stooped next to us and grinned at the boy who eyed him suspiciously. Loren did a strange two finger salute from his forehead, then rested his hand on his chest. After that he held up two fingers on each hand and tapped them together. Then his dominant hand ran through strange moves and Meep clapped his hands in excitement. They "spoke" for a few minutes and I watched in awe.

"How do you know that?" I asked when Meep snuggled back into my arms.

"One of my fellow stable boys taught me. He was deaf too. Anyway, he wants to know why you're leaving and he wants to come with. Seems Talon and I both have some competition." Loren smiled at the boy.

"He’s a child and you were never competition for Talon. Can you explain what’s happening? Then explain why he can't come?" I rubbed Meep's back gently. He started to pull away as Loren's hands moved and he frowned up at me.

"We need to gather supplies. I'll take him to Tyren. He seems to be good with languages." Loren shrugged and offered his hand. Meep took it reluctantly and kept glancing over his shoulder as Loren led him away. I rubbed my face and draped my arms over my head as I remained crouched. I was once again trying to get through to Talon.

Please. Where are you?

😱
This chapter brought to you by a dead lift PR and a lingering high from preworkout.

🖤D
Copyright © 2021 Demiurge; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 20
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

OMG, thanks for getting us off that dang cliff. 😊 

Finding Talon seems to be Kalian’s only focus, understandably, as the other don’t know and understand the remaining story from the day of the overthrow. Talon needs rescue from himself, but protection until it’s all sorted with clear minds; hopefully Talon can see more clearly as he reflects on every moment of their battle and what choices were force upon them.

@Demiurge, thank you for the recovery chapter; getting us away from that staggering battle riddled and destructive chapter that left us holding our breath.

The bigger tease of the storyline is not lost here as we see more enlightenment and spell casting from Kalian. This promises greater discovery and perhaps the real reason for the gifting of the Lord Sun Bringer

Edited by Philippe
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I sincerely bless you for the extra chapter.

After all he did, Talon is both afraid and ashamed. He attacked both friend and for. He fears losing control again. With the way everyone else is acting I can't blame him for hiding away.

Kalian and Talon aren't even officially married yet, but I think they already have acquired a kid in the form of Meeps.

  • Love 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

Do I sense the end of this book hanging off a cliff and book three beginning with the search for the volume of sorcery capable of undoing Talon's corruption?

Since the tome was gifted to the Dlethian royal family, chances are it's in the palace somewhere -- a musty library or the king's secret stash of nudie mags and forbidden texts. With the king wanting to visit, and having already extended an invitation (they violently RSVP'd "NO" to), the group could easily score a short stay.

Besides, the surest way to make Talon pop up is for Kalian to be in mortal danger, and I don't think Loren getting handsy qualifies. Still . . . bitch better watch his hands or he's likely to pull back stumps.

the simpsons GIF

  • Haha 4
Link to comment

Thanks so much for this chapter@Demiurge...it must have been so tiring for you. We appreciate it

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I’m actually surprised this isn’t the end. I bet one more chapter and/or an epilogue will do it.

Kalian has a son and a granddad. I LOVE IT. 

The series is wonderful. Epic! I wish more people knew about you, @Demiurge, but then we wouldn’t have you to our greedy selves anymore. 

I get it. Life is calling. Please rest, do what you gotta do, then come back to us! (After you finish this story, that is. Understanding, but greedy, remember??  🥰 )

 

 

Um, and I have a question: Guards said Anders made Mallex suffer AFTER he’d been ripped to pieces. I assume you’re gonna come back to that at some point? 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

@Geemeedee It’s already been touched upon albeit briefly. They discharged him dishonorably and basically shamed his whole family.

Thanks for you comment ❤️

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
30 minutes ago, Demiurge said:

@Geemeedee It’s already been touched upon albeit briefly. They discharged him dishonorably and basically shamed his whole family.

Thanks for you comment ❤️

And I was thinking he did a nasty on his soul.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
20 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Why do I think Meep is more than the sum of his parts/appearance?

My thoughts too.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Ah, such a good chapter boss, full of all sorts of fascinating goodies to amuse, bemuse, delight, bewilder and deeply frustrate.

And look at little Sunbeam, all grown up and taking charge. Sort of. Still a bit rough around the edges but getting there. And he took responsibility for calming the savage beast. Such a cool scene that btw.

Nice touch having Loren be actually useful for once. He really is annoying. Which means he's doing his job, I know I know...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..