Jump to content
    Drew Payne
  • Author
  • 1,800 Words
  • 9,025 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Walk Along the Promenade - 4. Scene One, A Seaside Promenade in Summer, Part 4

“Get away from me you damn vermin!” The old man’s voice shouted, suddenly filled with anger.

Shaun glanced towards the noise and saw the old man stood next to the bin. One hand held an empty fast food wrapper, which he was obviously trying to put into the bin, the other hand was waving frantically at a seagull that had swept down and tried at snatch the wrapper out of his hand.

“Goddamn vermin!” The old man shouted as the seagull gave up and flow away.

What was an American doing in Scarborough in June? Shaun asked himself. Scarborough wasn’t exactly on the American tourist trail, it didn’t have the connection to Dracula that Whitby, a short way up the coast, had.

The thought fell from his mind as he stretched out his left leg again. The pain was finally easing. It was still stiff but at least the pain was easing. In a few minutes he could try and walk back to his hotel, or at least to the bottom of the cliff railway.

He’d woken up from the beating a day later, at least that was when he remembered waking. It was over twenty-four hours later and he found himself lying in a hospital bed, wearing only one of those hospital gowns, the ones that open at the back, underneath the bed’s sheets. Into his right arm were running two IV drips, and on his left leg was a cage-work of metal, encasing his leg, with thin metal bars actually running into his leg. His whole body still seemed to hurt, an aching pain from so many different parts of his body. He took a deep breath, in an attempt to help himself wake-up and was greeted by a sharp pain in his left side. A pain that felt like a dozen long, white-hot needles were pressed quickly into his side until they reached the bottom of his lung. He cried out against the pain, as if a sudden shout would in any way ease his pain.

“Can I help you?” A young, female voice asked him.

He turned his head in the direction of the voice and found a young woman standing over him. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a ponytail that seemed to sprout out of the back of her head. She was wearing a neatly ironed white, nurse’s tunic and her face wore a concerned expression.

“I’m in pain,” Shaun gasped, his voice strangely week and quiet.

“Press the red button in your right hand, it’ll give you some analgesia, I mean pain relief,” she said.

He did so, the small plastic button strapped around the palm of his hand, no bigger than a front door bell. A moment later he felt something calming rushing through him, as the pain in his side eased away. Later he’d find out it was called a Patient Controlled Analgesia pump, a machine that would deliver a small amount of pain relief straight into his vein whenever he pressed that button. Over the next few days that machine gave him relief and a lifeline.

The young woman was a student nurse and she’d gone and got a Staff Nurse to talk to him. The Staff Nurse turned out to be a young man, in his mid-twenties, called Kenny. His short, muscular body was enclosed in a nurse’s uniform of pale blue tunic and dark blue trousers. His head was covered in thick, black, shaggy hair that he wore in a style were it was cut short at the back and yet still left it long at the front, the sides of his hair were falling past his ears and touching his collar, while his fringe was swept across his forehead, though thick strands of it would escape and fall across his face, often obscuring his rich, brown eyes.

Kenny, in a clear and short speech, told Shaun what had happened to him. He’d been found, lying unconscious on the ally way’s ground in the early hours of the morning, after the Green Man had closed and one of the bar men was throwing away the rubbish. He’d been taken to hospital, still unconscious, were his injuries had been diagnosed. Three of his ribs were broken, two black eyes, a wound to the back of his head, which needed stitching, and cuts and bruises across his chest. Knocking him unconscious had left him with a severe concussion, the effects of which he would feel for far longer than he had expected (People on television seemed to shake off being knocked unconscious with no ill effects, but for Shaun the concussion left him feeling ill for days after). But his left leg had received the worst damage from those men’s aggression. Their beating had left him with a smashed and broken leg. Both his thigh bone and the bones in his shin were smashed and his knee had been shattered into numerous pieces. As an emergency, to save his leg and enable it to be repaired later, Shaun had had an external-fixature, as Kenny called it, fitted to his left leg. The external-fixature consisted for a circular metal frame, which encased his whole leg, and this held his leg rigid with metal bars that ran right through his leg, through the skin and bone of his leg. Strangely enough his left leg only really hurt when it was moved, just lying there in bed his leg ached but the metal rods did not cause him much pain, even though they ran right through leg and its bones.

Kenny told him that his medical team, the surgeons who would be repairing his leg, would see him on Monday morning, the next day, and explain the treatment they had planned for him.

That first day he woke in hospital Shaun had spent dozing in his hospital bed. His head felt thick and heavy, and sleep seemed to be the only thing that eased it. It also stopped his mind dwelling on what had happened to him. His mind felt so tired and dulled, as if he was trying to think through a thick, cotton wool fog, and trying to sort out his thoughts was so difficult. His body also seemed to ache with pain, a dull and constant ache throughout his body, or a sharp pain in left leg, as if the very bone of his leg was on fire, every time his leg was moved.

The following day, a Monday, had seemed to be a blur of activity. First, he was visited by his team of surgeons, shortly after he’d finished his lack-lustre breakfast. Though his surgeon was a man, Mr Melnyk was an Eastern European doctor, not the stereotype of the upper-middle class surgeon with a plum in his voice, and half of the team of four doctors with him were women.

Mr Melnyk explained the different breaks Shaun’s leg had suffered, but the man might have been speaking in his native tongue for all Shaun could understand what he was being told. All he could understand was that his leg was badly broken and it was going to take several operations to fix it. Shaun had simply nodded his agreement to what was being said to him, he felt he had no other choice.

At mid-day his mother had visited him. She had swept onto the ward with her full forceful personality, dressed as elegantly as always, demanding to know were Shaun was and what was happening to him. He heard her voice before he saw her approach his bed.

She had sat herself down next to his bed and announced:

“What the hell were you doing at the Green Man? You should know what type of pub that place is and to keep well away from it. People like us do not go to places like that!”

“I was meeting a girl,” Shaun almost blurted out. It was the first answer that jumped into his mind. He’d not thought about it or made any plans about it, it was just the first lie that had come into his mind to tell her.

“And who was this girl? What’s her name?” his mother replied.

“I can’t remember.”

“That’s convenient. You haven’t mentioned her before,” his mother added.

“I was meeting her for the first time,” he told her. One simple lie and he could tell the truth, well a very edited version of the truth.

“Was this some blind date?” His mother asked.

“I met her through a dating app on my phone. She wanted to meet at the Green Man. I can’t remember her name but her number and everything are on my phone,” he said, barely having to think about his story, even though his mind still felt fuzzy and full of cotton wool.

“Well that’s gone,” his mother shot back.

“What has?” Shaun asked her.

“Your phone. They took everything off you. They stole your car, which no one will see again. They cleared out your bank account yesterday, and again you won’t see any of that again. I spent this morning getting your bank card and phone cancelled, though it’s all a bit late, and the police weren’t hopeful about your car,” his mother bluntly told him, but all Shaun heard was that all the money had gone from his bank account. What was he going to do?

“All my money has gone?” Shaun mumbled.

“Every penny,” his mother said.

“But my rent is due in a week,” he said. The thought occupied all his mind now, he had to save his home, but he didn’t know how, not from a hospital bed.

“I have already sorted that out,” his mother replied. For a moment he thought she would actually pay his rent, but her next words killed that thought. “You’ll just have to come and live with me, you can have the back ensuite double bedroom. I’ll organise moving all your things from your flat, later this week.”

“You’ll pack up all my stuff?” The thought of her packing away all his personal possessions caught in his throat. He had to stop her.

“God, no. I’m far too busy. The removal firm will pack up all your things before they move them,” his mother said, in her flat and business-like tone. At least it would be complete strangers sorting through his dirty underwear and packing away his porn DVDs, at least it won’t be his mother or one of her employees reporting back to his mother.

His mother had left shortly after making her announcement, leaving Shaun to worry about what she had said. All his money was gone and with it was his independence. He was back where he started, facing again living with his mother, and he’d achieved nothing.

Copyright © 2019 Drew Payne; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Sad 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I binged scene one, parts one through four. I like Shaun and feel sorry for him at the same time. An overpowering mother and a perfect brother are both big obstacles. Add to that being mostly in the closet and not having a lot of self confidence makes things even harder. Then he gets beaten within an inch of his life. Hopefully you have some ray of hope for Shaun in scene two or three? Your story is very readable. I plan to stick around to see how Shaun fares. Thank you. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Thank you for your feedback, it is so helpful to me, it shows me that what I was trying to portray works, you understand where the character is coming from.

 

I don't want to give too much away or give anything away, but this story doesn't end up where you think it is going, there are some plot turns along the way.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

If he didn't have his PIN code with his card, how could they empty his account ? In Denmark, I think he would get his money back either from the bank or insurance, maybe minus a small amount. Also, he'd not be able to leave his flat without giving notice - and the deposit he paid when moving in would cover the rent for the next three months. I can understand him not being able to think clearly just then, but hopefully he can reverse the stupid decisions by his mum when he's ready to leave the hospital.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

If he didn't have his PIN code with his card, how could they empty his account ? In Denmark, I think he would get his money back either from the back or insurance, maybe minus a small amount. Also, he'd not be able to leave his flat without giving notice - and the deposit he paid when moving in would cover the rent for the next three months. I can understand him not being able to think clearly just then, but hopefully he can reverse the stupid decisions by his mum when he's ready to leave the hospital.

 

If he'd written his PIN number down somewhere, like a false number on his phone, then the bank can argue that it was his fault he lost his money. It has happened in Britain before.

 

In Britain, for a private rented flat, you pay one month's rent in advance, plus a security deposit (to cover any damages to the property and/or furnishing. This can't be used to cover the rent), and any fees the managing agent/estate agent demand. A tenant has to fall behind with three months or more rent before a landlord can get them evicted.

 

All that said, Shaun is lying in a hospital bed, badly injured, failing to cope with PTSD, no wonder he easily agrees with mother's demands. I have nursed people in similar situations like Shaun's, they are in no position to make any decisions.

 

This is also an important plot point in Shaun's life.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Drew Payne said:

All that said, Shaun is lying in a hospital bed, badly injured, failing to cope with PTSD, no wonder he easily agrees with mother's demands. I have nursed people in similar situations like Shaun's, they are in no position to make any decisions.

 

Yeah, I can totally understand why he lets her bulldoze over his life. If she'd been a caring mother it would have made a lot if sense.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Timothy M. said:

 

Yeah, I can totally understand why he lets her bulldoze over his life. If she'd been a caring mother it would have made a lot if sense.

 

But his mother is a caring woman, its just that Shaun is very, very low on her list of priorities.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I want to continue reading through. Consider this a breath before I move on. I’m not seeing a good turn for Shaun just yet. 

On 1/26/2019 at 4:55 AM, Drew Payne said:

 

But his mother is a caring woman, its just that Shaun is very, very low on her list of priorities.

Caring? Not a word of sympathy or show of empathy. You can hear all that she doesn’t say, “it’s your fault” in those questions.. Ok.. I can believe that Shaun is not her top priority.. Now he’s back under her thumb. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Defiance19 said:

Caring? Not a word of sympathy or show of empathy. You can hear all that she doesn’t say, “it’s your fault” in those questions.. Ok.. I can believe that Shaun is not her top priority.. Now he’s back under her thumb. 

 

His mother cares about her business, her position in society, etc... Just not Shaun.

 

I'm planning this as a trilogy and in the second part I want to explore his relationship with his mother and why she behaves the way she does, to introduce her and Shaun's brother Nathan as full characters, not just seen from Shaun looking back on them.

 

And yes, she blames him, that's why I gave her that attitude.

 

Do keep reading, things change for Shaun.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 2/3/2019 at 8:50 PM, Drew Payne said:

His mother cares about her business, her position in society, etc... Just not Shaun.

To clarify "his mother is a caring woman," as @Defiance19 understood that statement and as most people would understand it, a caring woman is someone who cares for other people, namely her son, she is plainly not a very caring woman or mother.

I do think there would be more police action over a serious assault than the response that all his money has gone, his phone, credit card, and his car. Wouldn't they at least look at where the phone was, where the credit card was used, video camera surveillance?

Still, I'm not picking holes (I hope) in the story because they may have not put much effort in if they thought he was gay, and you've given plausible reasons why he might not be able to get compensation from the bank.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Talo Segura said:

To clarify "his mother is a caring woman," as @Defiance19 understood that statement and as most people would understand it, a caring woman is someone who cares for other people, namely her son, she is plainly not a very caring woman or mother.

I do think there would be more police action over a serious assault than the response that all his money has gone, his phone, credit card, and his car. Wouldn't they at least look at where the phone was, where the credit card was used, video camera surveillance?

Still, I'm not picking holes (I hope) in the story because they may have not put much effort in if they thought he was gay, and you've given plausible reasons why he might not be able to get compensation from the bank.

 

I disagree, Shaun's mother cares deeply but about herself. She doesn't care about other people and she deeply resents Shaun, though from nothing he did.

When we were staying in Scarborough, one of the people we were there with had her car stole. She'd left a spare key in the car and the thefts broken a window to get into the car. Because she'd left the key in it the police were very uninterested in her car being stolen, they seemed to do the bare minimum. Add to that that Shaun is lying to the police and he's not that good a liar, the police don't take much of an interest, especially as they won't be able to identify anyone from what Shaun has told them. Shaun isn't helping himself but he'd have to out himself to do so.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..