Jump to content
    Drew Payne
  • Author
  • 2,575 Words
  • 3,570 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Walk Along the Promenade - 15. Scene Six, A Hotel at Breakfast Time on a Summer’s Morning, Part 2

The hotel’s dining room was at the back of the building, perched on the edge of the cliff, with a wide view of the Scarborough beach. Shaun had wondered, the first time that he’d seen that room, whether it had once been a Palm Court or Sun Room, it certainly wasn’t like any other dining room he’d ever been in before. The room was a huge, a conservatory-like construction, white wooden framed windows that made up three of the walls and half of the roof. In the summer, like that morning, the morning sunlight poured into the room, but in the winter this room must be like a glass-line fridge.

The room was laid in a self-service style. Along the only brick wall in the room was a long breakfast buffet table, laid out in a careful progression from cereal and cold drinks, to tea and coffee, through breads, jams and cheese, with two large stainless-steel toasters, ending with row upon row of hot plates keeping the cooked food warm. The buffet table was kept stocked by two women, dressed in the hotel’s uniform of black dress with white piping along every edge. These two women seemed to be kept constantly busy by the stream of guests seeking their breakfasts.

Harley quickly found them an empty table next to one of the huge, wooden framed windows there, and they sat down together at it.

“Right, what do you want for breakfast?” Harley asked him.

“It’s okay, I’ll get my own,” Shaun said.

“Don’t worry, it won’t take me a moment and it’ll be nice to do it,” Harley smiled back at him.

“Are you having a full breakfast?”

“Too right, I’ve paid for it. It fills you up for the day and you don’t want a big lunch,” Harley replied.

“Thanks. Can I have a couple of bread rolls and butter, eggs, sausage and hash browns?”

“Tea or coffee?”

“Coffee, milk but no sugar.”

“No problems, I’ll be back in a minute,” Harley said, with that broad smile of his.

For a moment Shaun watched Harley’s muscular body threading his way between the groups of tables there. Harley was almost striding across the room, taking long and fast steps, walking far faster than he had done when he’d been walking beside Shaun.

Shaun turned away and felt something watching him. He turned his head in the other direction and saw a large, grey-white seagull, perched on the windowsill, on the opposite side of the window next to him. It was staring at him with one of its dark, black beady eye. There seemed to be a bright, tiny spark of light in the centre of that eye, sharp and bright and trained right upon him. For a brief moment it felt as if that seagull could see straight into his mind and actually read his thoughts.

Shaun shook his head, shaking the thought from it. It was a stupid thought, seagulls were just dumb birds, more interested in food than in anything deeper, and he was just being silly and nervous, he was strongly attracted to Harley and everything that had happened in the last twelve hours was leaving him feeling very nervous. Nothing like this had happened to him before, he was deeply attracted to Harley and Harley appeared attracted back to him, and he didn’t want to screw it up, even though he wasn’t certain how not to do that.

The seagull let out a loud and angry-sounding squawk, opening its beak wide, with appeared to be a tongue curling up inside that open beak, its cry reverberating through the glass between them. Shaun turned away from it and saw Harley returning to their table, carrying a plate of food and a large mug of coffee.

“There you go,” Harley said, placing Shaun’s breakfast down on the table in front of him. “I’ll be back in a moment”

“Thanks,” Shaun said, smiling up his thanks at Harley.

As Harley hurried back to the breakfast buffet, Shaun started to eat his breakfast. The food was hot and stodgy but was rather low on flavour. It tasted very manufactured rather than cooked with care but this whole hotel felt very manufactured. It was comfortable but it didn’t feel like a place one could linger, it felt as if the whole building had been redesigned to funnel as many guests through it as possible. Shaun did not care too much about that, the place was cheap and comfortable.

He looked up and saw Harley at the far end of the end of the buffet, loading his plate up with cooked food. Harley’s movements were strong and yet smooth, and even from the back Harley’s body was attractive, his curving muscles plainly visible under his thigh clothing. A moment later, Harley turned around, and with his loaded plate and drink, and returned to their table. It only took him only a few moments to walk across the dining room, taking such long and fast strides.

Harley placed his breakfast down at their table and sat down himself.

“I need this,” Harley said, as he started to eat his breakfast, “especially after all last night’s and this morning’s excretions.”

“And it was really nice exertions ,” Shaun replied. Just thinking about the sex they’d had made a rush of excitement head start to Shaun’s groin. He could actually feel his own cock begin to swell, as if he was again a frustrated teenage getting excited over the mere hint of naked male flesh.

“I didn’t think my holiday here was going to take this turn, this very gay turn,” Harley said.

“What turn?” Shaun asked him.

“Meeting you,” Harley smiled. “I’d thought the gayest this holiday was getting to get was that half-hearted blow-job I got in that club toilet the other night. This is so much better.”

“Thanks,” Shaun replied.

“I mean it,” Harley said, as he pushed a forkful of food into his mouth.

“Why did you come to Scarborough on holiday,” he asked Harley. “It’s not known for being… well, very gay.”

“I’ve never been here before,” Harley replied.

“Is that all?”

“I grew up in Preston,” Harley said, “not the most exciting place on Earth. Every year, throughout my whole childhood, for the same two weeks, we went on holiday to Blackpool. We even stayed in the same boarding house, in the same bloody rooms. I hated it, I was bored out of my mind. It was the same bloody thing every year. I soon hated going on holiday, as a child, because there was nothing new or special about it. When I grew up and left home, I promised myself I’d never be bored on holiday, so I decided to always go to somewhere different each holiday, if I went back somewhere it would have to be to do something different there. My holidays are important to me, they’re my way of relaxing and destressing. I’m now able to afford to have two holidays a year, lucky me, so I make them special. So for one holiday I go abroad, and God there’s enough places to explore, and the other one I go to somewhere at home, I like to explore my own country too. This time I choose to come to Scarborough because I’ve never been here before. I didn’t know what to expect really. I knew about the famous Stephen Joseph Theatre, but that’s closed this week. Just my fucking luck,” Harley smiled at him. “Why did you come here?”

So I could kill myself in a place no one knew me, Shaun thought but there was no way he was saying that, and it was no longer true now.

“I’d never been here before either, and my mother said she’d never come here so that was also a good reason to come here,” he told Harley.

“You don’t get on with your mother?”

“It’s all complicated,” Shaun said.

“How complicated?” Harley asked.

“I work for her company, we provide home carers, and that’s hard enough. Since my leg got smashed up I’ve had to live with her again. Often, though, I don’t think she even likes me.”

“Families can be really fucked up,” Harley replied.

“They certainly can,” Shaun said.

They ate their breakfasts in silence for a moment. Harley was also hungrily shoving his breakfast down, and as he ate Shaun found that his own appetite race up, suddenly he was hungry too. This food might not be the most tasty or enjoyable but suddenly it was filling a hunger void in him. Did sex really burn up this much energy, he wondered, because it hadn’t before. Yet Harley was eating hungrily too.

“I’ve been thinking about this morning,” Harley said.

Shaun felt himself emotionally bracing himself, this was where Harley would tell him that it had been great but he didn’t want to see Shaun again, that brush off that had happened so often before.

“Yes,” Shaun simply said, pushing down the disappointment he was sure he was about to feel. He had become so skilled at doing that over the years of practice he’d had.

“I thought we could go for a walk along the prom, the promenade down there together. We could walk as far as we liked and then at lunch time we could find somewhere to eat. There’s enough restaurants on the prom or else we could go into the town centre and find somewhere, I’ve seen that there are buses there from the harbour up to the town centre,” Harley said, his words almost tumbling out with excitement.

Shaun had to push down the surprise that rushed up into the back of his throat, hide it from his face. Harley wanted him more than just for sex, Harley wanted to be with him too.

Shaun smiled back at Harley.

“That would be really nice,” he said to Harley.

“And after lunch we can come back here and maybe make a mess on my room’s bed, or at least fuck ourselves stupid again,” Harley said, his voice lowering into a quiet tone, as if this was only for them two to hear.

“That all sounds really good,” Shaun replied, his own voice falling into a conspiratorial tone too, “but I’ve got a problem with it.”

“What?” Harley replied, surprise in his voice.

“My leg can play up and sometimes I can’t walk far without needing to sit down,” Shaun explained, feeling slightly embarrassed by his own frailty.

“That’s all right,” Harley replied, his face and body falling back into a relaxed posture. “There’s loads of benches along the prom. You can sit on one of them, whenever you need to stop and I’ll take pictures with my phone until you’re ready to walk again.”

“Thanks,” Shaun told him. He felt an emotional pull, Harley was adjusting his plans to suit Shaun, he was quickly considering Shaun.

“God, I’d thought you’d gone off me and you didn’t want to fuck again,” Harley said.

“Oh God, never,” Shaun replied. He felt himself beginning to blush at just the thought of it.

“Good, good,” Harley said, smiling broadly back at him.

“You take photographs?” Shaun asked. He wanted to hear Harley speaking again, Harley’s chatty voice was so relaxing and comforting.

“Only with my phone, I don’t have a camera or anything, but I really enjoy it. I just find it all relaxing, concentrating on getting a good picture, framing it and capturing something about what I’m taking a picture of,” Harley explained. “Here, let me show you,” Harley carried on, as he took his phone out of his pocket and quickly unlocked it.

As the two of them finished eating their breakfasts together, Harley had slowly scrolled through the photographs stored on his own phone. Shaun was impressed by Harley’s photographs, they weren’t just the usual quick and poorly composed photographs so many people took with their phone’s cameras, barely more than “happy snaps”, and far too frequently posted on social media. Harley’s photographs were carefully composed, Harley obviously searching out the perfect framing for his photographs. There were photographs of views, of buildings, of street furniture, of boats in the harbour, of close-ups of the rust on the promenade’s handrail, of seagulls perched or flying, of all kinds of different things that had caught Harley’s attention. Yet again and again, Shaun was impressed at what Harley had caught in his photographs. So many of them caught something interesting or different about what Harley had been photographing. These were photographs searching to be art, not just a quick attempt to save a moment.

As they finished their breakfasts, Harley had come to an end with the photographs he wanted to show Shaun. With his last mouthful of his food, Harley had turned off his phone and asked Shaun:

“Do you want another drink? Another coffee?”

“Another drink would be great, but can I have an apple juice? That coffee was really strong,” Shaun replied.

“Yeah, that’s a good idea. I’ll be back in a moment,” Harley said, standing up from their table.

For a moment, Shaun watched Harley as he weaved his way between the tables and chairs, only some of them occupied, heading straight towards the breakfast buffet, again. Was this what being in a relationship was like? Shaun wondered. Having someone caring for him and having someone he could look after and care about? If it was then he liked it, he liked just sitting there with Harley and planning what they would do together that day. He liked Harley showing him the photographs Harley had been proud of taking, he liked sharing in something Harley was so proud of. Sex with Harley had been amazing but this moment, sat together at this breakfast table had been something special too, he’d just quietly shared his time with Harley and planned how they would spend the rest of the day together. That had felt so good.

He glanced over at Harley and saw him bending over the breakfast buffet, pouring two glasses of apple juice, the muscles in his back and buttocks stretching with his bent posture, pulling and defining themselves under his tight clothes. God, Harley was so attractive, Shaun thought.

What if this thing with Harley was just a holiday romance? What if he never saw or heard from Harley after they returned their homes? Suddenly Shaun didn’t care, he’d have this time with Harley. He’d never felt this relaxed and happy before and he liked this feeling. If it didn’t last beyond this holiday then he’d have this experience, he’d have the experience of being with another man. He could know that he was really attractive to another man. But at this moment he just wanted to be with Harley, enjoy being in Harley’s company, and he’d have that bubbling excitement that they would be having sex later on today, he had sex to look forward to, too.

Something caught his peripheral vision and made him turn his head in the opposite direction, to stare out of the wooden framed window next to him. The windowsill, on the other side of the glass, was empty, the seagull that had been stood there had since flown away, it was gone. Shaun turned his head back towards the dinning room and saw Harley walking back to him, carrying two glasses of apple juice. Shaun smiled up at the approaching figure of Harley.

This isn’t the end of Shaun’s story, just the end of the first chapter of it. The following two chapters will appear later this year, as soon as I have written them.
Thank you to everyone who read this story, and an especially a big thank you to everyone who reacted to this story and commented on it, you have all done me a power of good. So often I write in a vacuum and never hear what readers think of it.
Posting this story has shown me the power of long reads and I will be posting more of them in the future. At present I’m working on a story about a man who inherits a ventriloquist’s doll, and it isn’t a horror story.
I will be writing more in Shaun and Harley’s story, I find them a fascinating couple and I know there is more to their story. To be first know when I do post further chapters in their story, please follow my profile. I post to it whenever a new piece of my writing is available to read.
Happy reading.
Copyright © 2019 Drew Payne; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Glad to hear this is not the end of the story, I look forward to more when you get there. Thank you for writing.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, alexk said:

Glad to hear this is not the end of the story, I look forward to more when you get there. Thank you for writing.

 

Thank you for the feedback. I am so amazed at how people have taken to this story. It is full of themes that I love writing about and people have seemed to enjoyed reading them.

 

It may take me a little while to write the rest of this story but I'll be posting more different stories here soon. The feedback I get on GA is amazing and has done me so much good as a writer.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Thanks for announcing follow-up chapters. This is not complete yet, in my opinion. There are so many unanswered questions and there are various ways this can develop. Of course I would like to see the next days of their holidays. Then you have me perplexed with the seagulls.

Then about Shaun and his family, Shaun and Harley?

I do not need answers to all of that but I do wish to know how Shaun will fare in future.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 minute ago, mayday said:

Thanks for announcing follow-up chapters. This is not complete yet, in my opinion. There are so many unanswered questions and there are various ways this can develop. Of course I would like to see the next days of their holidays. Then you have me perplexed with the seagulls.

Then about Shaun and his family, Shaun and Harley?

I do not need answers to all of that but I do wish to know how Shaun will fare in future.

 

My plan for the second part of this story was been changed by the questions people asked in their comments. Shaun comes from a seriously f*cked-up family but why are they like that?

 

Also, Shaun and Harley are a fascinating couple, why is Harley interested in Shaun? Can Shaun cope with a relationship with another man? He has such a poor relationship history. Lots and lots of questions.

 

As for the seagulls, they were taken straight from real life. My husband and I had a holiday in Scarborough a few years ago (I don't recommend it, there is so little to do) and everywhere we went we were stalked they those damn seagulls, they were as creepy as hell and bloody bold. They will appear in another story of mine, they were too creepy and too good not to use again.

 

Thank you for feedback and support. I always worry about my writing and will people like it. I was swept away by the response I got here.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Great story, Drew! :2thumbs: (I even enjoyed all the bits about those pesky seagulls. 😉)

 

I also shall be interested to read more of Shaun and Drew, so am delighted to hear that you intend to continue some time in the future.


 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Timothy M. said:

I enjoyed the breakfast scene so much, and I'm glad Shaun could see the similarities to having a relationship. Harley seems to be a natural carer and he likes being able to do physical stuff for Shaun (massage, fixing breakfast etc). In return, he's pleased to have Shaun's attention and admiration. I think they fit well together and hope they have a future as a couple.

 

I feel there's an interesting dynamic here between these two, and also this will be Shaun's first gay relationship and he's aged 37. Interesting time of life to learn how to be in a relationship. I'm looking forward to writing it but I have promised myself to finish off two other long stories first, which I feel maybe an interesting fit here too.

 

So glad you liked the breakfast scene, it was one of the easiest scenes to write.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
37 minutes ago, Marty said:

Great story, Drew! :2thumbs: (I even enjoyed all the bits about those pesky seagulls. 😉)

 

I also shall be interested to read more of Shaun and Drew, so am delighted to hear that you intend to continue some time in the future.


 

 

Thanks for the feedback, I'm so happy you enjoyed the story. That means a lot to.

 

It may take me awhile to write the next chapter of this story, as I said to Timothy M, I've got two other stories I want to finish first, plus my non-fiction writing too, but I will write it. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Just now, Drew Payne said:

 

Thanks for the feedback, I'm so happy you enjoyed the story. That means a lot to.

 

It may take me awhile to write the next chapter of this story, as I said to Timothy M, I've got two other stories I want to finish first, plus my non-fiction writing too, but I will write it. :)

 

Take your time, Drew. Take your time. :)

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Marty said:

 

Take your time, Drew. Take your time. :)

 

 

I will, this story took two and a half months to write, and that's quick for me. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
39 minutes ago, Drew Payne said:

I feel there's an interesting dynamic here between these two, and also this will be Shaun's first gay relationship and he's aged 37. Interesting time of life to learn how to be in a relationship.

I agree that there’s an interesting dynamic because it feels like Shaun isn’t the only one with little/no relationship experience. Harley's attractive, but his blunt way of speaking might turn off someone more exposed than Shaun. I look forward to the continuation, whenever you get to it. Priorities are priorities.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 2/11/2019 at 4:09 PM, Geemeedee said:

I agree that there’s an interesting dynamic because it feels like Shaun isn’t the only one with little/no relationship experience. Harley's attractive, but his blunt way of speaking might turn off someone more exposed than Shaun. I look forward to the continuation, whenever you get to it. Priorities are priorities.

 

Thanks. I want to explore Harley's character in the next chapter. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I enjoyed this first part. I’m looking forward to getting to know Harley better and seeing how he and Shaun continue. 

Well done, Drew.. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Defiance19 said:

I enjoyed this first part. I’m looking forward to getting to know Harley better and seeing how he and Shaun continue. 

Well done, Drew.. 

 

Thank you.

 

At the moment I am finishing off a different long read I want to post here first. I have several longer reads I started writing, previously, but didn't get them finished because I didn't know what to do with them. Since I found GA, I now know were to post them. But I will write more about Shaun and Harley, they have become a sort of fascinating of mine.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This was a nice story, one you developed as it went along, starting from coming out, exploring being gay, having sexual encounters, then getting seriously mugged. As a backdrop we have Shaun's mother and a mention of his brother. The second half is a "chance" encounter with Harley, which remains unresolved, until you write the next story.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Talo Segura said:

This was a nice story, one you developed as it went along, starting from coming out, exploring being gay, having sexual encounters, then getting seriously mugged. As a backdrop we have Shaun's mother and a mention of his brother. The second half is a "chance" encounter with Harley, which remains unresolved, until you write the next story.

Thank you.

This story started off so differently and was going to have a very different ending.

I have started to write the second part, which will explore Shaun's relationships, with Harley, with his mother and his brother.

Unfortunately, Covid-19 has got in the way of my writing. Work has been very busy and I've been asked to write a lot of articles about Covid-19. It does feel that things are finally settling down, I'm getting more time and energy to write and I need to tell the rest of Shaun's story. He's one of those characters who bounce around inside my head.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 7/30/2021 at 4:39 AM, FrankD said:

I was hooked from the get go, can't wait to read more :)

Thanks @FrankD, that's such high praise.

I am busy writing The World Out There, but once that is finished I really need to write more of Shaun and Harley's story. I've got two more stories about them planned out.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..