Jump to content
    Drew Payne
  • Author
  • 2,154 Words
  • 2,367 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Days Like This - 20. Tuesday (Lunchtime)

This chapter takes place two weeks after the events of Chapter 6 Tuesday, and a week after the events of Chapter 13 Tuesday.

Simon walked out of the college building and into the courtyard between the buildings. The sun was still warm against his skin and he now felt uncomfortable having put his jacket back on. He walked across the corner of the courtyard, heading straight towards the empty concrete bench. When he reached it, he sat himself down and started his wait. The concrete was still cold against his buttocks, even with the warm spring air that surrounded him, and Simon unsuccessfully tried to move to make himself more comfortable, as he waited for Jeff.

As he had been walking to his second lesson that morning, he’d received a text from Jeff. When his phone had beeped with the arrival of it, Simon had felt a moment of dread. Had his dad started up his barrage of texts? But when he pulled his phone out of his jacket pocket he saw it was a text from Jeff.

Freddie’s having a meltdown. Him and Vee are due to do a presentation tomorrow and they hadn’t done enough work for it. Idiots. They’re skipping lunch to work on it (!!). Means you and me for lunch. Meet me in courtyard after your last morning lesson,” the text read.

Jeff always wrote his texts in full English, not the abbreviated text-speak Freddie and Vee always used. Simon actually liked the way Jeff wrote his texts. It was almost like Jeff was sending him little letters via text.

Simon had replied: “Will do,” adding two smiling face emojis and a thumbs-up one.

He looked out at the courtyard in front of him. Most people in the college seemed to be using the courtyard as a way to get from one building to another. Did people actually come out here in the summer?

There was a group of five lads, on the far side of the courtyard, all gathered around a tall and blond lad, who was wearing an expensive, designer top. Simon recognised the top as an expensive one. Even though he would never be able to afford one like it, didn’t mean that he didn’t recognise it, and nor did it stop him wanting to own tops like that whenever he saw them online, in magazines, or on the backs of other lads at college. He couldn't help looking down at his own faded jeans and misshapen grey woollen jumper.

The lads were all circling around the blond lad, jostling each other, almost displaying their masculinity in front of him. Obviously the lad was someone important, but Simon didn’t recognise him. But he barely recognised any of the other students at college. The lad was also wearing a pair of pale grey and form-fitting exercise bottoms. Was he one of those lads doing the Sports Management course there? Those lads seemed to act as though they were the most important students there, as if the whole college would stop functioning without their presence. All that course seemed to lead to was a basic qualification enabling them to work as a Personal Trainer, and Niki frequently complained that there were already far too many of them.

“Get your fucking hands off my fucking arse! You fucking queer!” a lad next to the blond lad shouted out, directing his angry words at a short, dark-haired lad behind him.

The shouted words grabbed Simon’s attention, and plucked at a memory in his brain. He knew he’d heard that voice before.

“Fuck off!” the dark-haired lad shouted back, as he seemed to puff up his own body, pushing his shoulders and chest out. “I’d never touch your fucking arse. No one would.”

“You fucking queer! You’re a disgrace! I should fucking have you!”

Then Simon recognised him, the aggressive lad. He was the one who had tried to pick on the four of them the previous Tuesday in the canteen, rapidly backtracking in what he said, calling it “just banter” when faced with Freddie’s angry challenge to his homophobia. The lad was called… called… Tyler. The name jumped back into his mind, as if he could still hear the girl shouting it, though there was no sign of her today.

“You all right there?” Jeff’s voice asked, making Simon almost jump in surprise.

He turned his head away from watching those lads and saw Jeff sitting down next to him on the bench. Jeff’s hair had a dark shine to it, the curls of it seemed more open and relaxed then the day before. Had he applied some hair product to it? Simon felt a momentary prickle of embarrassment creeping up the back of his neck. Should he be looking at his friend like this?

“I’ll fucking have you! You fucking arse queer!” Tyler’s blunt voice rang out across the courtyard.

“Just that,” Simon replied to Jeff, nodding his head towards the group of lads on the far side of the courtyard.

“For fuck sake, Tyler!” The blond lad at the centre of the group suddenly shouted out. “You’re a fucking twat!”

The blonde lad then strode away from the group of lads, heading straight for the canteen’s entrance. Rapidly the other lads rushed after him, as if he was going to the place where they all had to be, with the dark-haired lad flipping the middle finger insult to Tyler as he hurried away with the others. Tyler, his body obviously tight with his own frustrations, had turned his back on the other lads and slowly started walking away in the opposite direction.

“Why are there so many homophobic arseholes around us?” Simon asked, but keeping his voice low.

“There’s not that many,” Jeff replied.

“There isn’t?”

“No, just the arseholes who think they are the alpha dogs. The lads and girls who think they’re the popular ones around here. And they’re only using homophobia the way they use all their other prejudices to look down on anyone they feel is beneath them.”

“You see that?” All he’d heard was the repeated homophobia that always seemed to be shouted around at college. But Jeff had been here longer than him, what had Jeff seen?

“I had a whole term here on my own watching this lot,” Jeff said.

“A whole term, that must have been lonely.”

Simon knew what that had felt like, too. He’d been here a whole term, plus nearly all of the next one, before he’d been able to make friends.

“It bloody was.”

“Why were you on your own?” he asked.

“I came here because Karl was coming here and I wanted to be with him.”

“Karl was your ex?” Simon asked.

“I see Freddie’s been filling you in.”

“He told me a few things about you.”

Simon felt the back of his neck beginning to prickle with embarrassment again. He’d been caught out listening to Freddie’s gossip.

“Don’t worry, Freddie means well and it saves me having to tell you everything. Anyway, he’s told me all about you.”

“Everything?”

“No, because Freddie doesn’t pass on the really personal stuff. You tell him something you don’t want anyone else to know and it stays with him. You tell him your favour TV program and Vee and I find out the next minute. Don’t worry.”

“Right.”

So when Freddie said he didn’t know something about Jeff, it probably meant it was personal and Freddie wasn’t telling. Freddie had probably done the same after Simon told him about his dad and the texts and everything.

“I didn’t go to sixth form college, I came here because Karl was coming here. It was actually a good idea because my course is an Access Course and it’s bloody good, I’ve learnt so much more about coding than I would have at sixth form college. Anyway, Karl and I broke up just before Easter and I found myself here on my own. I couldn’t stand the sight of Karl and I really avoided him. It was then that I realised that the only person I’d known here was Karl. So I was sat here on my own and watched everyone else around me.”

“That must have been hard.”

“It was,” Jeff said. “I was so glad when Freddie and Vee started here. Finally I had friends to hang out with.”

“Yes, I know that.”

“Anyway, while I was stuck on my own I got to see all the different groups around me. Everyone seemed to be in their own little group or clique. This place is just like school, everyone grouped together in their own cliques, with all the manoeuvring for position. The alpha lads and girls think they’re the top of hill, the way they did at school. They’re attractive and fit and they think that’s all they need. Most of the alpha girls are doing the Beautician course and most of the alpha lads are doing the Sports Management course. Hair dressers and physical trainers are not the people who rule the adult world. But those alpha bastards and bitches are just as homophobic as they were in school, because they feel they are so much better than us. The vast majority of the other kids here are in their own cliques and can’t be bothered about anyone else. We only get grief from the same, handful of homophobic twats, because they think they’re so much better than us.”

“Yes, you’re right,” Simon said, agreeing with Jeff.

It was only the same handful of lads, with the occasional girls hanging on their arms, who dished out the homophobic abuse to the four them, or even between themselves. It was always the same lads, in their almost uniforms of tops emblazoned with designer names, and expensive jeans or bottoms carrying the same designer names running down their legs, shouting their homophobia.

“The vast majority of the other kids here couldn’t give a fuck whether we’re gay or not, as long as we leave them alone and don’t bother them.”

“I still hate the homophobia from those twats, even if it’s only a few of them.”

“Yes, but they’re not the majority now. After here all they’ll have is their bigotry and not much else.”

“I wish I’d noticed all of this when I was sat here on my own,” Simon said.

He meant his words, he wished he’d had Jeff’s insight, but all he’d seen and heard were those lads’ homophobia. All he’d noticed was the thing he’d feared the most.

“Don’t worry, we can’t all see these things.”

“I guess so.”

“Freddie, Vee and I did wonder about you though. We’d see you sitting out here, on your own. Freddie was all for going right up to you and talking to you, but Vee and I didn’t know if you wanted to be on your own or not.”

“I think I would have run a mile if Freddie walked straight up to me when I first started here.”

“So why did you walk up to us in the canteen?” Jeff asked.

“I saw all those Neanderthals picking on Freddie the other day and…” He didn’t know how to say that he had seen Freddie as his only chance of making a gay friend and that was something he’d been seriously lacking in his life, gay friends, or any real friends.

“Freddie set that lot off in the first place,” Jeff replied.

“What?”

“He told one of those alpha lads to suck his cock.”

“Why?”

“Freddie overheard one of them being homophobic, like that was something new. Anyway, Freddie jumps in and challenges their homophobia. Well, they don’t take it well and Freddie is too good with the comebacks, which they didn’t like even more, and the next thing they’re all chasing him out here. Vee’s right, Freddie needs to pick his battles and those alpha lads and girls don’t want to learn anything.”

“But I wish I had Freddie’s balls, I mean his courage,” Simon said, feeling his own embarrassment prickling at the back of his neck.

“I know what you mean,” Jeff said, giving him a warm smile.

“I’m glad I met all of you, I was so lonely before.” The phrase had slipped out of his mouth unplanned, but he really meant it.

“I’m glad we met you. It might sound stupid but you really make us as a group, kind of balance us. Is that stupid?”

“No, I can sort of see what you mean.”

Simon felt a moment of pleasure. He wasn’t just the fourth wheel. He was wanted by them.

“Saying all of that, it’s just you and me for lunch. Freddie and Vee have bailed on us, panicking about this presentation. God, they’ve put in so much work into it already that they should get an A for effort. Anyway, we get to pick our sandwiches and gossip about Freddie and Vee. Come on,” Jeff said, standing up from the bench.

“Sure,” Simon agreed as he stood up too, picking up his backpack.

Copyright © 2019 Drew Payne; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

More good moments for Simon make me happy. Now you need to keep building the friendships and introduce some romance. Just what you need, bossy readers. 😉 Thanks for sharing this story. The more I read, the more I like it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Yay! Finally some Simon and Jeff time! Someone alert the captain ‘cause that ship is sailing. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

I get very nice, warm vibes between Simon and Jeff. I sincerely hope they continue. Even so, Jeff is helping Simon learn the need to be observant, along with other lessons. Great chapter. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
15 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

More good moments for Simon make me happy. Now you need to keep building the friendships and introduce some romance. Just what you need, bossy readers. 😉 Thanks for sharing this story. The more I read, the more I like it. 

Thanks for this. Bossy readers? I don't mind because people are reading this story and that's amazing.

I'm a good few chapters ahead with writing this story, and I know were it'll end, but I love all the suggestions I get because it shows me how much people are getting involved in this story. It is just amazing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Danners said:

Yay! Finally some Simon and Jeff time! Someone alert the captain ‘cause that ship is sailing. 

(Big smile on my face)

But nothing happens, not even a chest heaving glance.

Though it does show how their friendship is developing, on their own, and that was fun to write.

I enjoy writing about people and their relationships.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

I get very nice, warm vibes between Simon and Jeff. I sincerely hope they continue. Even so, Jeff is helping Simon learn the need to be observant, along with other lessons. Great chapter. 

Thank you, that was what I wanted write here, Jeff showing Simon how to be more observant.

Simon is so naive that it's almost dangerous. He needs to open his eyes and that's what I wanted to write here.

But Simon is still not great at reading situations...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Drew Payne said:

(Big smile on my face)

But nothing happens, not even a chest heaving glance.

Though it does show how their friendship is developing, on their own, and that was fun to write.

I enjoy writing about people and their relationships.

Sometimes it’s what doesn’t happen that means the most. Subtext has me in a headlock.

Plus, some of the strongest relationships develop naturally as friendships deepen. But even if theirs is simply friendship, it’s wonderful to see them bonding. They were both abandoned and alone, and now they’re not. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
44 minutes ago, Drew Payne said:

But nothing happens, not even a chest heaving glance.

But what was it you wrote in this chapter about Simon when Jeff sat down next to him...?

Oh yes! It was this:

"Simon felt a momentary prickle of embarrassment creeping up the back of his neck. Should he be looking at his friend like this?"

Seems like Simon is at least noticing Jeff....

I'm looking forward to reading what the two of them talk about over lunch, without Freddie (especially Freddie) and Vee there to dominate the conversation.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Twenty chapters and I have become very attached to these characters. In a way it's a little frustrating, because I would like to see them open up a bit more, especially Jeff and Simon. I think both of them are somehow trapped by their previous relationships. They both want close friends, close gay friends, but nothing more. Probably every reader is waiting for them to get together, romantically, but I don't think it will happen. Which means... you will have to write a sequel!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Danners said:

Sometimes it’s what doesn’t happen that means the most. Subtext has me in a headlock.

Plus, some of the strongest relationships develop naturally as friendships deepen. But even if theirs is simply friendship, it’s wonderful to see them bonding. They were both abandoned and alone, and now they’re not. 

Simon and Jeff are very similar, and that's what's makes for good friendships, they both sort a very OUT gay man (Freddie) as a way to make gay friendships and to take those first steps in coming out, though Jeff is a year ahead of Simon and when you're sixteen that is still important.

Also, both of them had shit first boyfriends.

There's plenty there for a really good friendship, and I really enjoy writing about relationships and people's journeys.

I am so glad you're enjoying my story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Interesting that they had already noticed Simon and talkied about approaching him. I wonder if Jeff was attracted to Simon and that made him resist the idea of Freddie talking to him.

I liked the way Jeff showed Simon that those stupid Alpha boys and girls were a minority, with not much going for them. But I wonder about the boy in the expensive shirt. He disliked Tyler's hateful rants.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Marty said:

But what was it you wrote in this chapter about Simon when Jeff sat down next to him...?

Oh yes! It was this:

"Simon felt a momentary prickle of embarrassment creeping up the back of his neck. Should he be looking at his friend like this?"

Seems like Simon is at least noticing Jeff....

I'm looking forward to reading what the two of them talk about over lunch, without Freddie (especially Freddie) and Vee there to dominate the conversation.

A friend of mine wrote a wonderful piss-take of bad straight romantic fiction, with a lot of "heaving bosoms" from all the women. I guess that his writing is still playing in the back of my mind.

Simon has the view that you have friends and you have boyfriends and there's no grey areas. Jeff is the first guy he knows as a person (friend) but who he's also attracted too and he doesn't know what to do about it. He's still so innocent were relationships are concerned, even with all the shit he's been through. It's strange and wonderful to write this. I remember going through these feelings when I found myself deeply attracted to one of my first gay friends, when I was coming out.

As for the next chapter, well it has a very important conversation but I won't say anymore.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Talo Segura said:

Twenty chapters and I have become very attached to these characters. In a way it's a little frustrating, because I would like to see them open up a bit more, especially Jeff and Simon. I think both of them are somehow trapped by their previous relationships. They both want close friends, close gay friends, but nothing more. Probably every reader is waiting for them to get together, romantically, but I don't think it will happen. Which means... you will have to write a sequel!

I really, really don't want to say what will happen, but I'm so happy you're so involved with my characters. I've given these people so much time and thought, and they mean so much to me. I'm so happy other people are also getting involved with them.

As for a sequel... I've got the plot and the title, but I just need the time to write it. Because before I do I need to write three other things, including the second and third parts of the story I started with my story A Walk Along the Promenade.

Edited by Drew Payne
  • Like 1
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Interesting that they had already noticed Simon and talkied about approaching him. I wonder if Jeff was attracted to Simon and that made him resist the idea of Freddie talking to him.

I liked the way Jeff showed Simon that those stupid Alpha boys and girls were a minority, with not much going for them. But I wonder about the boy in the expensive shirt. He disliked Tyler's hateful rants.

That's what I wanted to write about here, Jeff enlightening Simon that the homophobic t*wts are a minority and this is their last breath of their alpha status. Once they enter the world outside college, being good sports alone does not open many doors form them, and they will tumble down the list of importance.

As for the guy in the expensive shirt. He's a straight guy who isn't homophobic, there are a lot of them about.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..