Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 3,765 Words
  • 6,369 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Splinter - 2. Loose Ends

I got a home after three days of poring through and over every report the three packs could produce. Emails, texts, Facebook posts. Anything that would show where and when the people disappeared. GPS on phones helped some, but only for those who had newer ones. All the trails led up to Canada and then disappeared. Strains of "Blame Canada" from South Park ran through my head, which of course was not at all appropriate or adult. Much like the show itself, come to think of it.

I wanted to just fall into bed and cuddle my husband as we sank into oblivion. It would have been so lovely, so perfect. It would have been the best way to end such a shitty few days. Which is why it didn't happen. It was a few minutes before four in the morning. Pat had the pilots radio ahead, and my favorite future daughter-in-law had thoughtfully aired out the house, put down clean towels and fresh sheets, and left a copy of a fax from Salt Lake. Patrick smiled softly, kissed my cheek, and went to put our things away while I handled business.

I read over the non-hostility treaty Dean and Kao had agreed upon. I was looking it over, seeing where Dean's hand had stirred the pot. Mutual defense pact, cross-training of pack members who wanted special training, free travel through lands. I was smiling, proud of my future betas. I pulled my phone from my hip and dialed Dean.

"Dude, it's 4 am. The hell do you want?" came Dean's voice.

I had woken them up. I had zero sympathy. I hadn't interrupted sexy times, so he could just suck it up. "I'm just getting home after forty-one hours awake, so waaah." I kept my tone playful, but I know they could hear how tired I was. I could do twenty-four hours without much problem. Nearly double that was really pushing it. "I want to tell you I am so proud of the two of you. The SLCP treaty is perfect. Who added the exchange program?"

"Dean did, blame him," said Kao through a yawn.

Since I could tell Dean had put me on speaker, I could hear the rustling of Kao snuggling. I shook my head. How strange that Dean and I, both confirmed hetero, had both mated men. I loved my mate, but damn if I wasn't fond of Kao. Little smartass, he knew when to put it aside for work.

"It's awesome," I said honestly. This was one reason I had decided on Dean and Kao as my betas. They could act autonomously and didn't require someone to hold their hands when I was away. It was a perfect choice because they had both proven to have creative and open minds, a willingness and desire to help, and the drive to carry out even the worst shit tasks.

"Then I thought of it," teased Kao, making both Dean and me chuckle. "Any changes while we're still here?" His voice came a bit muffled, so I knew he was mumbling into Dean's side or armpit. I didn't want to know what else it could be; hot man sex with anyone other than my mate was nothing I wanted to dwell on.

"Nope. Anything else will be handled as needed. You guys get an hour or more sleep, then get on the road. I miss ya." God, I missed my buds. I needed them here to keep me sane. All this shit with the Council was going to end in blood, either because of war or me just going postal and start killing. I would probably start with the shithead manager at a store I owned in Big Sky. He was skimming profits from the employee payroll, and I had caught him right before I had to deal with the rogue bullshit. I would start with him, probably disemboweling him in front of the other employees. Discourage other bullshit...no, not really, but I could fantasize.

"Gotcha. Now go to bed. Beta's orders," said Dean. I heard his grin as the dick just hung up.

"Pat, I have an asshole for a beta," I said with a laugh.

"Which one?" he asked from the bathroom as he put away the toiletries.

"Yes," I replied, "but mostly the big one."

Pat came in, completely naked. I had to admire his body for the billionth time. Muscular, furry blonde hairs on his chest, ample package bobbing as he sauntered over. Such grace and effortless movement. He got up on his toes and kissed my lips lovingly. "True, but he's our asshole. Come on, it's bedtime. Beta's orders."

"Gladly." My husband stripped me, led me by both hands, and we tumbled into bed for some needed cuddles. We were out in minutes.

We were up again at eight in the morning. Not enough sleep, but I didn't plan on doing much of anything today. Pop was still here, and he could handle anything that required executive action. The only reason we were awake was we smelled bacon. It pulled our noses out of bed, and the rest of us naturally followed.

Dylan and Heather were cooking breakfast. Pat and I did our morning routine and then just sat at the table in the kitchen in sarongs. I watched as my son and his love moved around the kitchen as a perfect unit. They didn't say much as they fried up bacon, made pancakes, freshly squeezed orange and grapefruit juice, eggs, and potatoes. They moved to the same beat. It was so awesome to see my son had found the perfect woman for him. Now, I just wondered if she was ready for Dylan to drop the bomb on her. Even knowing her for a decade, I didn't know if she could handle Dylan and the boys.

I smiled up at Heather as she came over with a heaping plate and a kiss to the top of my head. She was the best office assistant/cook/housekeeper/daughter-in-law ever. She did so much for the camp, and she pretty much looked at us as family anyway. Pat had been a big brother to her, so that made me something of a big brother, too. I had a quasi-dad thing too. I mean, she was marrying and mating my son, so I'd be Papa Jon...mmm, pizza. With bacon.

"You sure know how to wake us up right, Heather. Teach the Little Dude. He usually just stomps around until we get up to Gibbs smack him." I had been watching way too many reruns of NCIS, but Special Agent Jethro Gibbs knew how to handle annoyances. Pat loved the show, too...or rather we both loved Abby. McGee was worthy of a cuddle, too.

"I have been teaching him. He used to just barge in, right?" Her grin was so perfect as she and Dylan dished up and joined us.

"I get no love," was Dylan's lame retort.

"I could call your grandma and have her come out here." My mom, who lived in Australia, loved Dylan more than she loved me, which is not surprising. He's a sweetheart compared to when Pop adopted me and his ex-wife became my grandma. She had no clue how to deal with a smartass kid, but she found that after a few years of casual annoyance, she loved me. Then she and I would conspire, and I would be sent home hyped up on sugar and caffeine when we both knew Pop would not be singing in the Sydney Opera that night.

"I don't think I could handle cheek pinching right now," Dylan grumbled. Pinching cheeks was Mom's way of showing love and for getting even whenever someone was mouthy. Dylan found out Mom considered pretty much any snark was being mouthy, so his cheeks had been totally red after the first weekend with her.

We laughed at him.

After doing the dishes, Pat and I went about our days. He had his own businesses to check on, mostly temp staffing agencies and other office assistant placement firms, and I had mine. I also had to finish filling out the paperwork for Dean's and Kao's pack membership and elevation to the ranks of Beta. Thankfully, Travis had filled out his own as he would be stepping down as my beta in a small ceremony. Which reminded me that I had to notify the pack that their new betas were coming and they should attend the welcoming feast if they were able.

Last minute plans were so much fun.

Once again, I was proud of my pack. By noon I had received the RSVP list from the entire pack, which came in via email from a polling site Dyl had set up for things like this. Since Homestead covered all of Montana, the Dakotas, Minnesota, and into Saskatchewan, Canada, it was a must that word be sent efficiently. Eight hundred people would be attending, which meant I had to get food for them.

"Heather?" I called out from my office.

"Food and drinks ordered, Jon. With enough for nine hundred," she called back.

"You're awesome. How much do I pay you? You deserve a raise."

"I work pro bono." I could hear her grin. I knew what she made as my assistant. A nice hefty sixty grand a year salary. Plus bonuses.

"Double that, with my compliments," I shot back, getting a chuckle. "Honestly, I couldn't run this pack without you. I'm super proud you've stuck with us for so long." I could smell her pleased embarrassment. When I had taken Homestead, I'd been disappointed Heather and her mom Betty hadn't come with us. Betty had been a friend, but she had stayed with the East Coast Pack. When Heather turned eighteen, she immediately petitioned to join my pack. I hadn't known she and Dylan had kept in contact, or that they had been "dating" since they were both sixteen. Skype was great for that.

Since I didn't have to worry about the food, I was looking into the more legal aspects. Transferring over command could be very simple when it concerned betas. Nothing too strenuous, just a formal acknowledgment of the exchange. I knew Dean wasn't one for ceremony, but I knew that Kao was. Laid back beach bum meets very traditional upbringing. How the hell did I swing this one?

Answer: I didn't.

I picked up the phone and dialed my father-in-law. "Yes, Jon?" was his opener.

"Travis, can you come up with a simple yet traditional ceremony to transfer your beta status? I have no clue how to swing it for two very different people."

Travis harrumphed. He instantly saw why it would be hard for me since I wasn't one for much ceremony either. You had a problem? Call me or just drop by, and we can chat. You got a grievance with me? Talk with me about it instead of letting it fester. You have ideas? Let's hear 'em. "I'll come up with something. Expect an email for your approval."

"You know I'm totally not sorry to make you do this."

His harrumph turned into a snort. "I know. It's one reason why you were originally brought to HQ."

I remembered my transfer to HQ in Salem, Mass. from southern California. Sand and babes in bikinis to snow and babes in parkas. Was it worth it? Yes. Did I think so at the time? Fuck no. Not until I was there a week and met my OA. I ended up liking him so much I married him. "You liked that I didn't have remorse for delegating a task I couldn't do?"

"No. The fact that you never were one to stand in awe of power. Did you know 'problems with authority' was always in your reviews?"

"It doesn't shock me." What can I say? I didn't like when people had authority and tossed it around like they were better than everyone else. It didn't mean you were innately better, it meant you had to be better to set a good example for those under your supervision and to be strong enough to take care of them if needed. Probably one of the biggest reasons I could never stand Angus McLeod, the alpha of the ECP. "Thanks, Travis. You just freed me up for a late morning quickie."

A faux exasperated sigh exploded through the phone. "Just shut the windows this time."

"Okay. We'll just bang on the back porch." I hung up to get the last word, grinning. Travis had always approved of me and his son being together, so I didn't have to worry about offending him with our relationship.

I did go home to get that quickie, but it got postponed for a few minutes. I had to stop laughing because Travis had called Pat with a message. "He said to tell your husband, and I quote, 'if you do, I'm getting the hose,' end quote." With me being home and getting naked, he knew what would result in the hose. We did it in the jacuzzi. He still turned the hose on us.

Bastard got the last word anyway.

I was back in the office checking on the new house. I knew Dean needed water near him, and Kao looked to be the same. Pat had hired a contracting company to build a three bed, two bath house on twenty acres with a view of Canyon Ferry Lake. With them coming in two days, it needed to be done and not smell like paint.

"The paint's dry, and the house's aired," the firm's architect said. "The movers will be here later today and some members of the pack are helping unload and organize what they can."

Always good to have an architect in the pack, I thought. "Thanks, Matt."

* * *

"The chickens are in the yard. I repeat the chickens are in the yard." This came over the camp's radio from one of the state police we had in our ranks. Another handy person to have around. He had been watching the highway for my buds while doing his normal duties, and thankfully Dean hadn't whizzed past him at normal California speeds. It meant we had about an hour until they got here, and I knew it would take the entire time to get the last minute touches set up.

Heather was giving orders, and even I was jumping when she said frog. She knew what she was doing, she had planned the entire welcoming party, which again got her a raise in her pro bono salary. I didn't have to lift a finger, and when I tried, she nearly bit it off. "Jon, I love you, but leave this to me. You have bigger things to worry about than this."

"Which is why I want to help. I need the distraction." I wasn't pleading to put aside a possible war. Never!

She was tapping her foot, her arms crossed her nice bosom. "Bring the plates out," she said and then went back to efficiently giving orders. I gave her cheek a smooch when I went past, which got me swatted on my shoulder.

All was ready pretty much the moment we could hear the engine of Dean's car as he was slowly coming into camp. We barely got ourselves arranged with me, Pat, and Dyl in one clump, and Pop, Travis, and Heather in another. It looked planned. It looked official. It didn't look like we ran around like the Three Stooges and stopped in what might work out okay.

Travis stepped one pace forward, a token meeting and defense before anyone could talk to the alpha. Dean met him and said, "Travis Andrews, Acting Beta for the Homestead Pack, you are hereby relieved of your duties as Beta. Homestead thanks you for your years of service and guidance as you move on to take your place among the Council of Lycans for the northern packs of the USA."

I knew Dean had to say it because he was the elder of the two betas, even though Kao was technically my beta. I still hated all the titles, the posturing, the ceremony. I just wanted them to tell me if I was doing okay or if I was doing a shit job. Not too much to ask, right?

"It has been an honor and privilege to serve, Beta Whitmore-Saechao. You are to carry on in my place alongside your mate. To guide and advise the Alpha, to lead the pack in his stead, and to mediate disputes between members of this and other packs should you be called upon. Do you, Kao Whitmore-Saechao, and you, Dean Whitmore-Saechao, take up this mantle of authority?" Was it me, or was there a slight catch in Travis's voice?

"We do," they said together.

Travis turned to me with the biggest smile on his face and a tear in his eye. "Alpha, I stand down as your Beta in the full knowledge that these two men will serve you as well or better than I. Do you accept my resignation and their promotion?"

"I do accept." My part was easy. At least the words. To avoid everyone seeing my own tears, I pulled my father-in-law into my arms. He felt like my husband, only a foot taller, and there was a familiar scent. I would hate to see him go. I loved and respected Travis, but his wisdom and strength were needed elsewhere. "We will all miss you, Travis. You will always have a home with us. Now go give those stuffy council asshats a good shakeup."

Travis laughed and stepped back.

I stepped forward. "Homestead pack, your Betas have come home to roost." A collective cheer went up as the mates were embraced and welcomed. "Now, let's eat. Thanks to Heather, and all her hard work, we can give you more than oatmeal and water."

Dean came over for a big hug, and I finally didn't feel like I had to hold back for fear of killing him by squeezing too hard. "Dude, why the big turn out? We're nothing special."

"Bro, it's not every day a pack gets a new beta pair. It's also a bit of a send-off for Travis. You, c'mere," I said and pulled Kao into a hug. "Welcome officially to the family. Your crazy suits ours, so you'll fit right in." Kao gives good hugs.

"Alright, break it up," said Pat coming over, "or add me to the cuddle puddle." So we pulled him in, all three of us putting him in the middle. His grin was huge as we pet him, and I nuzzled his ear. "Someone stopped off at the Lone Wolf. I smell Whitebear Meatloaf Surprise."

"Guilty," Kao said. "We had it for lunch."

A bit of a receiving line was formed so the betas could meet their new pack. Mind you, it would have taken too long for them to meet everyone, but those who came from farthest away were in line. Everyone else was local and could just drop by. Dean got a ton of hugs from the few people he'd met before, but I was surprised by the number of bows Kao got. More than half he met gave him a formal welcome. I wonder if that was how it was going to be. Dean would be the informal one, Kao would be the formal one. If the pack treated them that way, they would act that way, and the pack would be all the worse for it. Kao could be just as relaxed as Dean, maybe even more so. Dean could be downright rigid if he was so inclined.

I decided to nip it in the bud. "Hey, Feathers," I said, using his unofficial nickname, "Go start some music and grab a dance partner. Dean, scoot." There were twin curious glances, but they got what I wanted a split second later.

"Yes, Alpha," Kao said with the cheekiest grin and went over to the sound system for something lively...I hoped.

"Irreverent little turd," I called after him.

"It's why you hired me. That, and I'm banging your best bud." Even I had to laugh at Dean's total-body blush. Even his toes turned red. The best part was when he put on Cotton-Eye Joe and grabbed my Pop as his dance partner. The smallest guy here chose the biggest and started to do a quick two-step. If he started at any point to slap leather, I'd lose my shit.

Pop didn't even bat an eyelash. He had to stoop, but he was laughing along with Kao. Guess the time the bullies from Sawtooth Pack messed with Kao brought Pop and Kao together. Good. It was perfect that Kao had gotten close to Pop. They would be working together whenever I had things that demanded my attention.

I was only slightly surprised when Dean grabbed Heather's hand and led her out. Only slightly, because Dean was still straight. Dylan growled a bit, but he was far more amused than worried his uncle was trying to poach his fiancee. In the middle of the dance, the couples switched partners often, which was even better: watching Pop and Dean trying to decide who would lead. God, I loved my family.

Too bad this was about the last time we had any fun.

* * *

"Jon, we have a problem," said Gene over the phone. It was week two of the investigation, and he'd made sure to check in often.

"When some people say problem, I roll my eyes. When you say it, I say prayers. Hit me," I was in my office looking over local reports of more attacks and more losses. The situation was getting worse quickly, like the rogues were pushing faster to get their goals accomplished before someone stopped them.

"Some of our trackers have gone missing. All of them within fifty miles of Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada."

That was just north of our border. Could our expansion have triggered this entire thing? Were we getting too close for comfort to some rogue installation? It wouldn't be much of a stretch. Canada was far less populated than the US, so rogues could hide out there far easier, and being close enough to the US border made evading either country's police a snap.

"Can you find out the cause? Without getting caught?"

There was a pause. Not good. "I'll do what I can, Jon."

Those were the last words I ever spoke to Gene.

Thanks to Timothy for his editing. Editing American English speech patterns can be annoying even for an American, so I double appreciate all his hard work.
Copyright © 2018 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
  • Love 19
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 5
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Mmmmm, Papa John's garlic butter :2thumbs:

I'm really enjoying reading how the events in the last book started, you are such a gifted storyteller.  :worship:

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I'm really enjoying reading the story from this POV and I can't wait for the next chapter.

 

So get your skates on @Fantasyboy69 :heart::worship::heart:

 

Though I'm not looking forward to the Gene dying part of the story-line!

Edited by Howzat
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I guess some packs take themselves waaaaayyyy to seriously.  I love homesteads laid back ways.  With the fear of an all out Lycan war it was good to see them have some fun.   I wonder what a war like this could mean to us “normals?”  Thanks for the chapter 

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Loved Dean and Kao coming home to roost so to speak; they will make great Betas.  Still so sad about Gene.  Heather is a delight and a find on so many levels.  Can't wait to see what happens next.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I hope they catch the asshats behind the killings! 

Love this story as much as the previous ones 😍😘

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Since I am already hooked on the series, I'm going to slide pass these review chapters.  A slightly different POV, but essentially the same information.  

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..