Jump to content
    FSELL
  • Author
  • 7,562 Words
  • 2,164 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Jamie - The Journey Begins - 30. Up Down and Around

Everything has a cost, sometimes it's worth it, sometimes not. Which one is this, let's see.


Climbing into my F250, I decided to go for a short drive. The sun was out and it was a beautiful warm 29deg (85F). Like on autopilot, I found myself outside café 47. "Excellent idea F-truck – let’s go see Mike, grab a coffee and chill out a little."

Well, that was the plan. Mike, was having none of it. We talked out front in the sunshine for ages, till the messages started to come in – Adam, then Troy, one of the guys I was on shift with before heading overseas.

AY: YOUR BACK WTF!
JS: hey ads yep
AY: where u what u doing
JS: C47 w mike
JS:b home in 20
AY: excitd 2 c u buddy


TB: Jamie.. you quit?
JS: hey Troy yep its time
TB: the boys want to have a beer
JS: sure where when
TB: Sun night at golf club 1900h
JS: sweet look forward to it

..o0o..

It was time to get this shit sorted - enough stressing around. Pulling into the carpark of my account's office, I was strangely calm - which is a good thing, seeing I've been stressing over this for almost a month or more now, I guess.

"Hey Avery, how are you doing, sir?" I shook his hand while walking into his office.

"Jamie, please… Sir? I've known you since you were 10 years old."

I felt a little coy - yeah Avery had known me and my family for years. Dad and mom used him to help manage all their financial matters, so he was the right person to help with all this stuff.

"Sorry, just a habit. It's just I'm freaking myself out. I have no idea what I am so worried about but…"

Stateside, Ben and I had called Avery. He sent me a list of stuff to request and email over once I had it filled in, etc. Ben threatened me with the whole ‘do as Avery asked, or he will send the email to Avery himself if I didn't.’ Oops, okay Ben, I get it. By the time I got to Oz, Avery had the list of documents ready to sign. Made it very easy, thank fuck.

"Ok, Jamie, so firstly you need to relax a little, well a lot! You're not being audited, not accused of fraud, tax dodging. You are doing exactly the right thing with your affairs, so relax." Avery stood, heading over to the paneled cabinet on the other wall. "Do you want a drink of something, you know, to calm you down?"

"Thanks, Avery. I'm all good, but thank you. Umm, it doesn't seem much or enough to say it, but, thanks! You don't know how much hearing you say it's all sorted puts me at ease."

"That's why I'm here. Sure you don't want a drink? It's after 6."

"Yeah, ok. One, thanks."

After sipping a single glass of Glayva Whisky Liquor on ice, I remarked, "Damn, that stuff is nice! I'm sure it would get you on the wrong side of drunk in hurry too, hmm."

Avery just smiled back, with an all-knowing smile. I can see why he and dad have always got on so well - they know the art of saying loads by saying, well, not much at all.

"So, Jamie, I need you to read through these documents," he said while handing me the large blue folder. "Make any notes you want on this pad. Also, use those post-it notes. I'll go work in the other office for a bit. You come and get me when you're ready, ok?"

"Thanks," I replied. I read through the pile of papers - it was pretty easy to follow. It didn't take me long to get the basic concept, probably 10-15 minutes tops.

Avery timed it perfectly. As I looked up from the papers, he wandered back in, looking for something on his desk.

"Hey, I think I understand it. Can I run it by you?"

"Sure. Fire away."

"Fire… funny."

"I thought so."

"As I understand it, monies made by the assets in the trust are pay out-disbursed as per the list in section 2, right?"

"Yes. And if in the future, Jamie, when/if you become a parent, they will be taken care of in that section. That make sense?"

Hmmm, kids. "Yeah, thanks, Avery. Have to say, I haven't thought about kids, but…"

"But that is what you pay me for. Who knows, right? I'm sure Rob and Kate would love more grandkids."

"Yeah, they live for the grandkids. Dad says it’s payment for putting up with us as kids. Thanks again, Avery. It's awesome, and from what I understand, it falls in-line with the wills Ben and I made just after our wedding?"

"Spot on. This works hand-in glove-with your wills, so there are no issues there."

"Thanks so much. I appreciate all of this, really do."

Avery walked me out of the office, talking about how his son and daughter-in-law just had their first child. He was… IS … A very proud granddad too.

..o0o..

I climbed into my truck, checking the time in Texas. Hmm… yes - Ben should be on his way home or at home by now. We'll let's see, hey. Clicking on his number, I was counting the rings. He picked up on the 4th.

"Hey skip, what's good?"

"It's so good to hear your voice, Ben. Just leaving Avery's, it's all sorted pretty much!"

"Great, that's great! See you didn't have to stress so much."

"Yeah, I know that now. Sorry for being a pain in the ass. Anyway, what are you up to?"

"Just home, about to shower then go to bed. Hey sexy Aussie man, what else needs sorting? Anything?"

"So, my truck. Half a 20ft shipping container of my things. The truck is the only thing I'm unsure what to do with."

"You're either going to have to sell it, or give it to someone… your dad or…?"

"Yeah, I think I'll have to sell it. It's not my dad - he's pretty much said that too. He's enjoying the Mustang too much, lol. Or Mom is."

..o0o..

"Hey, thanks for cooking dinner, Adam. It's amazing. See Jules, I said this guy was good."

"Thanks, mate, but she's the amazing one."

"Aww come on you two, get a room. Oh wait, you've got a room. I'm the third wheel here. Damn, ha-ha."

"So, have you heard, spoken to Ben today?"

"Yeah, Jules. I called him when I left the accountant. He'd just got home after work."

Adam chipped in. "Well done,! You've got the time zones all sorted - look at you!"

I just poked my tongue out at that comment. "I know, right, being all grown up and adulting, ha-ha." I paused, taking a deep breath, thinking about how it was all coming together now.

"Think I need a drink. Can I get you guys something?"

"Another glass of that Dolcetto, Jamie, please?"

"Sure, and for you, Adam - want to join me with a JD and Cola?"

"Oh, you sweet-talking thing. Ha-ha."

I continued the conversation as I headed over to the kitchen. "So Adam, how's the new place going? I went for a walk today. The new sections of the development are looking amazing. Saw your place too - is going to be - OMG! - what a view, hey."

"It's almost there… been a lot of hard work, but it's paying off."

"Adam, it's brilliant the way you've pulled all of this together. Obviously, the penthouse apartments in both towers have better views. You're going to make some good money on those. That's what it's about in the end, right?"

"Yep, a few people have said I should have hung on to one of them, but that was never the plan. Our ones on the lower floor are just as good, plus we're on track for handover on the 16th, so only a few days."

"Geez, before you know it, you guys will be on the move into your place. So happy for the two of you." I couldn't help but smile at my two friends. They are so right for each other. I sat back down with our drinks and stuffed some food in my mouth - I was starving hungry today, wow.

"Once Julie and I will shift over there, I'll set this up for you as a rental. I've got the estate agents all set too."

"Dad said you guys already had tenants lined up, yeah?

"Yep, it's all sorted mate."

"Thanks, man. Don't know what to say."

"Soooo… Jamie, can I ask? What are you going to do with your F250 when you head back to the States?"

I looked at Adam as if someone just said they were stealing a child. "Umm, I … I don't know."

"Well look, if you are wanting to sell it - see it go to someone that will look after it - I heard Mason is looking for a new car."

I looked dead at Adam. "You have to be fucking kidding! MASON!! I wouldn't sell him my old smelly socks."

"Ok, then if not Mason, how about me? You know I'd look after it. I've just sold the Merc - it was all flash, but no substance, you know."

"Ha, funny. Ben and I spoke about this back in the States. Said I'd be okay if it found a home with either Dave or you, Adam. I’ll think about it overnight and let you know in the morning, if that's ok?"

"Sure, mate. I know how much that truck means to you. I can tell by the look of confusion, a little time would be good for you to convince yourself, work through it."

"Yeah, I just need to settle my mind on it. Thanks, Ad's."

After cleaning up after dinner, the three of us sat outside with a few drinks in hand - just hanging out, relaxed, talking interspersed with moments of comfortable silence thrown in.

Easy, like old friends do, hmm… that Jack Daniels is going down a treat.

..o0o..

"Ok yeah." I jolted awake in the dark. sitting up, breathing as I'd just ran a marathon or seen a ghost. My body felt like someone had just plugged me into a power outlet, all tingling.

I was wide awake. I looked at my cell – shit, Jamie - it's only 4 am. ‘Stuff it! I'm awake now. Might as well tell Adam, then go for a run. Maybe it will help me calm down.’ Guess I can always have a nap when I get back so I'm not falling asleep tonight at the catch up with the guys. Anyway, I wasn't planning on being out too late, but something you learn very early in the job: Never-Ever fall asleep around firefighters. that never ends well.

Quietly padding my way along the corridor, I gently knocked on Adam and Julie's door.
"Hey, Adam you awake?" I was trying on my best hushed voice.

A groggy sounding Adam replied, "Am now. What's up? It's 3:20 am."

"Um, sorry mate … it's just about the truck."

"Yeah, ok. What's wrong?"

"Nah, nothing. I mean nothing's wrong. Just the F250. I'm happy for you to buy it, you know, if you still want to."

"You decided this at 3 am? Shit Jamie, go back to bed or something. It's all good."

"Thanks for understanding. It's just that I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. Sorry for waking you."

"No worries, I get it. Sometimes I have things on my mind - just can't seem to get rid of it until I've actioned it, so I get it."

"Yeah, I get it. You can go back to sleep now. I'm far too awake to go back to bed. Might go for a run. Oh, and with the financials, we can work that out later. I trust-ya mate."

"Thanks, Jamie, I got it valued a few weeks ago, from a couple of valuers. I'll give you them and you can see what you think, ok?"

"Sure, that's great. Makes it easy for everyone."

"Hi, Jamie…"

"Oh, hi Jules. Sorry I didn't mean to wake you."

" Can you two either shut-it or go for a run, something?"

"Hey! If you give me 10 minutes, I'll come with you too. It'll be like the old days, hey?"

"Sure, I'll wait for you downstairs."

"Just hurry up, both of you. Go for your run so I can go back to sleep and enjoy the quiet."

Adam joined me about 10 minutes later. We slipped out the front door into the early pre-dawn air. The sun was slowly lighting the skyline - that small light against the deep ink blue of the fading night sky, coupled with the crisp fresh air, such an amazing way to start the day.

..o0o..

After some very busy days back in town, I was exhausted. "Can't I just have a night in before I fly out tomorrow, pleeeaaasssee?" I whined in my best childlike voice. "Adam, Julie, come on - it’s been a big few days, and I was up super early too."

"Yeah dufus, it all turned out to be pretty easy, right!"

"I know, right. Go figure, the Australian government was the pain in the butt. Avery had it sorted hey… But guys, I'm exhausted. I've been out almost every night."

"A few big ones with the guys too, hey Jamie, hmmm? Even managed to drag you into it, Adam, didn't he?"

"Yeah, Adam," the look of surprise on his face was priceless.

"One or two nights ended up being pretty big. What is it with you guys - getting blind drunk, stripping off your clothes, and running along the main street naked?"

"It's all for you, Jules: dinner, drinks, and a show, ha-ha." I thought Adam was going to wet himself at that - gotta say it was pretty funny.

"Lucky it was a warm night boys, else I would have needed a flashlight and magnifying glass, lol."

I gave Julie a quizzical look. "Maybe not with the torch or magnifying glass - I've never had any complaints. Plus, I've showered enough times with elephant man here," pointing at Adams crotch. "You gotta watch you don't trip over it, lol." Jules just smiled and nodded.

"Hey, do you think the guys would be pissed if I cancel? I just want to go to bed."
Adam and Jules exchanged looks, "Plus I'm missing Ben, feeling a little down, you know. The last few months have been tough, me working away in Boston you know."

Truth be known, I was a little worried about tonight at the golf club. Mom and Dad called me about 30 minutes ago. Mom said they'd been asked to come down for a drink too. She wanted to make sure they weren't cramping my style if they came along.

"Come on, Jamie. We don't want to be late. Go take a quick shower - you'll feel better. Put some clean clothes on and we'll go."

"What are you guys coming to? I thought it was just a few of the guys from the station."

"Yeah it is, but they wanted me to make sure you didn't run off, so had to invite us, you know, like a personal UberX. Look, we won't stay any longer than you want to, ok?"

I stared at Adam then switched to Julie. I was sure they were bullshitting me but… they didn't crack. "What - are you going to stand there and stare at us both or are we going?"

"Ok-ok. I'll go shower and get changed. Geez… sorry Jules."

..o0o..

We pulled up around the side. "Adam, you are so set in your ways. It's not like we're going to the pro-shop. Why'd you park here? Now we've got to walk around to the front."

"Quit your complaining, will you? There's a side door. Come on."

"Wow, I didn't even know this door was here. Ok… cool trick, Adam."

Crossing the carpark and heading up the small set of stairs, we headed in the door and along a short corridor. In the distance, I could see two doors at the end.

We must be near the kitchen - I could hear the busy sounds of food prep and voices. Neither door had signs on them. I'm like, "Which door, Adam?" I had no idea.

His cell rang. "Hey, hold up guys. Hello… this is Adam… Oh hey, one sec… I've got some people with me. I'll find somewhere quieter." He was looking around as if there was a door we'd missed or something.

"You want us to go in or wait for you, Ad's?"

"Nah you and Julie go in … the door on the left. I'll be right behind you."

"Sure, no worries, mate. Hey Jules - wanna be my date?" I flashed a sexy smile.

"Oh, I'd love to." She laughed while kissing me on the cheek.


"Thank you, let's go."

With that, we opened the door. I was still half looking at Julie when we stepped through and was suddenly aware that we were not alone. As I looked up, it took a few seconds for my eyes to register and process it all. One face stood out, Ben? "What the …" I stopped like a deer in the headlamps.

Adam came up behind me. "Come on," He playfully pushed me forward a step and kissed me on the ear.

I just stood there. Ben was walking toward me wearing a huge 1000w smile that lit up his face. "SURPRISE!"

"BEN?" My brain had engaged finally. I almost stumbled the first few steps toward him. We met just short of halfway across the room. I swept him up, lifting him off the floor in one fluid movement, hugging the life out of him while I spun him around - alright a few kisses too. "You knew about this."

"What are you talking about? I didn't know a thing about this … just randomly decided to jump on a flight halfway across the world."

I didn't care what he was saying, really. He could have been giving me the launch codes. I was just overcome with seeing him, feeling him in my arms, all of it. I could hear in the distance, cheering and whistling, as I lowered Ben down, looking around the room filled with my family and friends. Ben was saying something to me. I couldn't hear him over the noise., "Excuse me what?"

I leaned in closer. Ben's lips were resting against my ear. Seriously, it was turning me on a bit… ok, a lot, oh god! Imagine if I got a hard-on or half’a-one in front of all these people, I'd never live that down. "The day you gave notice, I got a call from… Raine? I just found out he's the Chief, right? Your old boss. Such a nice guy. Anyways, he let me in on the whole plan."

"Wow, how'd he call you? Dad!"

"Sure, your Dad gave him my number. So Raine wanted to know if I'd come over. I said, ‘Sure! I'd love to’. I started to thank him for the offer, saying it was probably going to be a little more than I could afford - you know, last minute ticketing, maybe we could do a video link."

I was listening to Ben, yes, and trying not to get a hard-on, which wasn't being helped by the fact that his leg brushed against me every time he gestured while talking. The guy can't stand still talking - he always moves around a little - it's cute.

That's when I started to see the faces in the crowd.

"But, Raine wasn't having any of it, said not to worry about the cost, just to pack a bag and be ready for a call with the flight details. It all happened so quickly." The clapping and cheering were still buzzing the room when I looked up again. "I was speechless. Then 10 minutes later, there was a group message sent by Susan West?"

"Yeah, she’s the new deputy. Her, Dad, and Raine all worked together for years. They’re good friends."

"She forwarded a message from Raine saying you were coming over stateside, asking for people to say if they could come. There were hundreds of people on it. Everyone was offering to tip in money as well. That's what paid for my ticket."

The Boss was standing across from me. With him was DCO West and almost the entire command team from the three districts I'd worked in. There was pretty much someone from every shift I'd worked too, guys from interstate when I was seconded. "Tom! Good God, Tom … you're here too!"

"Your dad called me, wanted my frequent flyer details, then emailed me back the confirmation and E-Ticket. Before I knew it…"

I was stunned on so many levels: Ben, all these people, the expense of it all. But, fuck me. the way they kept it all quiet, legendary stuff. Raine and Susan walked up to Ben and me, first shaking his and Susan's hands. I was humbled by this whole thing. "Thank you, Sir, Ma'am."

"Raine and Susan will be fine, Jamie - no need for ‘Sir’ and ‘Ma'am’".

..o0o..

Slowly, a crowd of people formed around us. Most everyone there knew one another, so conversations were going on all around. I took a moment to just absorb all the amazing collection of people surrounding us, that have, did, and still do, mean so much to me.

I'm not sure how long it was - I know I had a few beers handed to me. The crowd started to spread out a bit. I'd lost Ben to Gav, Dave, and Mike from the Café - they were busy introducing him to some of my friends that he'd not met yet.

We caught eyes across the crowd for a moment. I mouthed 'sorry' - I was feeling like a bad husband leaving him in the crowd. He just laughed and waved me off, replying 'all good.'

I swear it took me 40 minutes to just say ‘hi’ to everyone. I have no idea how, but I'd lost 2 hours when Dad came over with Ben, asking if I could come with him for a moment.


I was flanked by my husband, parents, Stephanie on one side, and CFO Raine Wilmer, DCO Susan West on the other.

Then all of a sudden, the room started to go quiet. My dad was the first of many to speak.

"Thank you all for coming along. As I look around the room, I see those dear friends, our family of friends, those from Pre-school, primary (grade), high school, Uni, and the fire service college, work colleagues, those that met through his love of surfing, dirt bike riding, water-skiing, running…

“Or drinking and being an idiot," I added. That bought a few laughs. It made dad laugh too.

"Well yeah, there's been plenty of that, hasn't there, over the years and recently too, I hear, hm … reports of a few naked men running down the main street the other night … Adam, Jamie, you know anything about that?"

We both held our hands up in fake surrender, replying in unison. "No, Mr. Spence, not sure what you're talking about."

"Hmm thanks, Adam. Anyway, Jamie, you have an infectious personality that has bought so many friends into your-our- lives. A few of them are here tonight, and I'm sure they'd struggle to say a bad word. Many of you were not able to witness Jamie and Ben's recent marriage in Texas. Tonight, we are here for a host of reasons, but united in one, to celebrate another milestone in his life."

"Your mom and I are so incredibly proud of you, Jamie. The inspiring way you’ve turned your life around, finding an amazing partner in Ben…"

Spontaneous applause broke out. Dad just paused, almost like it was rehearsed - he didn't even miss a beat.

"… who must have enormous amounts of patience."

Fuck, dad! At that the whole place erupted in laughter. I saw Mason laugh just to the side. My mind was, 'what the hell are you laughing about, fucktard.' Ben must have sensed it, tightening his grip on my hand a little. Well, it worked, grounding me back to what dad was saying.

"It was not that long ago that Jamie - and I'm-sorry son - I don't mean to break confidences, but, we were talking about what he could do to turn around the 'mess', in his words, he was in. His marriage had failed, it was becoming toxic for them both. Jamie realized that it was invading all levels of his life."

Dad stopped for a second and smiled at me.

"That is such a hard concept, truth to finally come to terms with. To his credit, the first step was to resolve that, set them both free. As a measure to a testament to what some adulting, self-examination, and maturity can do, they are now at least friends."

I thought I would have felt more embarrassed. Secretly, I was still waiting for the nudes to be posted up, a room full of lifelong friends and fire-fighters, shit always is going to happen, right. Dad was in his element, not just talking or giving a speech. He has this skill, knack for being able to take us along, sweep up the room, and carry us on a magic carpet of words and phrases.

I've tried a few times at some big moments in mine and our family's lives to replicate the presence dad has, the way he can emphasize, turn on words, carry a phrase - no hope, it's just a gift, one that I don't have.

When he was in the job, the boss would often get dad to deliver all sorts of addresses to industry, community, and even government. He is just that good.

"To his credit, he then turned his attention to the service. The time had finally come to demonstrate what we all could see that he had the makings of - an exceptional Firefighter. It paid off with promotion to Inspector Spence, and acting-Superintendent many times!"

There was a loud round of applause, with a few 'Go Bingos!' Bingo was one of the nicer nicknames that I had in the job - I'd say 'Bingo,' when we got a job under control, ha-ha.

"Although Jamie doesn't like to take the most direct route in his personal life…" Yeah, that got a whole lot of laughs.

"… in this whole new ‘I'm going to sort myself out’ attitude he'd taken up. I'll tell you a little story about a visit to a bar or three one particular night: There are quite a few people in this very room that was part of this I think, hmmm… Don't hide, I can see you. Anyway, I'll give the PG13+ version: Jamie and his band of brothers had a few drinks, a flight to the US was booked and an application for leave made, all forgotten about till a call, or was it an email from HQ came the next day."

Louis yelled out, “BOTH!” More laughter at my expense.

"Thanks, Louis. So the rest is, well, why we're here. Honestly, I could go on for hours about our son. Jamie. Your mom and I want to say we're so proud of you and all that you've done."

I felt a gulp of emotion. I'm not that good at standing there and receiving praise - it's easier to get yelled at. Oops, maybe I've just had more of that in my life.

"The amazing young man you've become, the excitement of seeing you start building a life with Ben … I can't wait to bear witness to the joy, challenges, and love you have for each other. We love you, son and Ben. We all wish you and Ben all the happiness the world has to offer."

With that mom and dad hugged us both. Yes, a few tears were flowing now. Shit, if they weren't, then you don't have a heart, hey.

Next came CFO Wilmer, flanked by DCO West. "Like Susan, I have had the pleasure of watching Jamie grow from a 15yo boy through to the outstanding firefighter-Inspector he is today. We in the family – that is, this service - are proud of what you have given to our community, plus the many ways that you've impacted lives for the better."

Raine was gathering pace. You can tell when people giving a speech are in the zone. right? Maybe he was feeling the need to outdo Dad because, goddamn, he was zinging along.

"Every day, every shift, we are called to help those when their day is amongst the worst they'll ever have. They find comfort in the professional, sincere, steadying way our men and women of the service interact with them. It has such an immeasurable impact. Those skills are displayed 24/7, 365 days a year. There are at times, small positives that you get to take away from some of the most challenging jobs, it is in no way limited to the equipment they have, the training given. It's that inbuilt leadership on the truck, in the station, most importantly along with the hose, or in the hands, holding someone, giving them comfort in all the madness. It's a very individual thing. Only a few have that ability to lead by engagement and, James Spence, you are one of those."

Dad placed his hand on my shoulder and squeezed it a little, whispering in my ear, "You understand why Raine is in uniform, as is Susan, right. Because he's here primarily representing the fire service, not just because he knows you personally, but what you've achieved." I looked at dad for a moment. I hadn't even thought about why they were in uniform till I looked around and everyone in the job was in uniform. Wow - it just seemed normal - I was so used to seeing them in uniform, I guess observant as ever.

"Inspector Spence, your career in the service hasn't been the longest. When you look around this room, most of the faces of rank above leading firefighter, have 15-20 years of service up. But in the 12 years that you served our community, you have had an important impact not only on our community, but the firefighters around you. You were one of the youngest leading firefighters to apply for and pass a string of promotion courses. I had a quick look at your service records, Jamie. I'd like to share with everyone here, if I may?"

Was I supposed to give permission? "Sure, boss, no problem."

"Jamie, you've stepped up in a senior acting role above your rank on 163 shifts. That is more than triple that of your peers. Until your recent resignation, which takes effect June 30 by the way so you've still got time to change your mind, hmm?"

I looked at Ben for a moment, his face almost saying ‘yeah, we can stay… works for me’ - we'd had that conversation so many times recently, the same look on his face each time too. The answer was clear to me, though. "Thanks, boss, for your very kind offer but I'll kindly pass."

"Good choice," came a hushed voice from mom.

"Jamie, all of you here tonight, would it surprise you, that you were being fast-tracked onto the next Superintendent course? We could see that there was a lot more you could, and can, do in the job. While it's our loss that you won't be part of this service, you will always be part of the family. If you have any challenges in finding a new job in the states, I would be more than happy to referee for you, as would half the room, I'm sure." A few claps and the odd whistle broke out to that. "On behalf of us all, please everyone grab a drink. To Jamie!"

Everyone in a single voice echoed the toast, lifting their glasses. I have to say that man has a commanding presence about him. It was like the entire room almost… it felt like we were on the parade ground: he had everyone's attention. There wasn't a sound pretty much from the assembled group while he was speaking. I swear, when he raised the glass to toast, everyone came to attention.

The boss was in fine form tonight - in the zone. I remember back when I was in college, he came in and gave our recruit course a lecture on perspective, yeah perspective. He said it was fundamental to any emergency worker to keep perspective on the situation, the physical and mental needs of those we serve, but most all, to ourselves and families.

He's always been an inspiring orator and DCO Susan West was following behind him in the same vein. "Thank you, Boss and DCO. All my work colleagues gathered here. It's been my pleasure to be led by, inspired by, work with – moreover, encouraged by your leadership. Can I ask everyone to toast, all of you here tonight?"

"TO US!"

..o0o..

There were speeches and the odd story about shit that happened in the station houses or on jobs that luckily didn't end up on YouTube in the firefighter fails. I think one of the guys said that too.

Finally, it was my turn. Strangely enough, I wasn't nervous. I just opened my mouth and the words started to flow. "Firstly, I have to thank y'all, sorry you all!..." that got a few laughs … "for coming along tonight, not to say goodbye, but to celebrate so many things. Sure, I'm moving away, but we can spam each other online. Remember, we are as close as our cell, mobile phones or tablet. Please don't be strangers." Looking around the room - I didn't get to do a big speech at our wedding. Sure, I did a speech with all my family that was over there and the US connection, Ben’s family and the friends that I've made too, but these people! They are my people, from where I'm from! Reaching around, pulling Ben a little closer, I continued, "…so, if you will, please indulge me."

I quickly took a sip of the drink Dave passed me - it made me cough. I looked at him: he was smiling, mouthing Vodka and Tonic water. Geez, wasn't sure what the ratio of vodka to tonic water was, but that was enough to kick start a chevy. "Ok, thank you to Mom and Dad, for not strangling me on the many occasions that I gave you cause to as a kid."

Someone yelled out – “and as an adult too, Jamie.”

"I know that voice. Shut up, Ty. Remember, if I go down, I know where the bodies are buried, ha-ha." Ty looked around the room, trying as much as he could to feign innocence - it wasn't working.

"But thanks, mom and dad. You are the best parents that any kid could ask for as I, we, were growing up you gave us all the love and support any kid or adult could ask for. For that, and a million other reasons, we all … I love you so much and know just how lucky we are."

Well, that undid Mom. She started to cry, then Step, Katie and dickwad all appeared and started to hug her. I grabbed Dad, and stepping sideways for a moment, we joined them.

"To my sisters and brother, Lucas…” that caused a few laughs… “love you. Oh, you mean my other brother, Mason? Yeah, I guess so… thanks guys for the laughs, the bruises, but above all, the love."

Wiping away a few of my own loose tears, I continued, "I'd also like to personally thank the boss and DCO for the support you gave me before I joined the service, in what was a pretty dark time for me. I know at times I doubted if I'd made the right choice - so did a few of my drill instructors and the lecturers. It might sound strange to some, but I'd also like to thank you and command… ok, with one or two exceptions." That caused a few giggles for those that knew the story about my ex-father-in-law, and a few questioning murmurs from those that were desperate to know what I was talking about. "But also, for not making the job easy for me either. It was good having to prove myself, I think. No, I know! I'm much better for it. To my friends, many of you have been unlucky in having me as a friend since Pre-school, Primary, and High school. I'm sorry for all that, but hey, it's been fun, right?" That started a host of whistling and hollering.

"To my partner in crime, and always has been…"

"Jamie, I have Lucas and Hailey here, mate." Todd was waving his cell phone around. With a few questions, they were on the big screen. "Hey y'all," I could see Hails and Lucas smiling and waving.

"Thanks, Todd! To my partner in crime, that for as long as I can remember was there with me, as I was with him. We've supported, teased, and joked with each other forever. Thank you, Lucas!"

"To the person that has saved me in so many ways, both physically, but more, mentally, emotionally, filling those gaps that need someone's love and caring to fill. Please can we please toast my Husband, but most of all soulmate, Ben?"

The entire ground in a single voice toasted him – "TO BEN!"

"Ok, anyway, again, thank you, all of you, so much for being part of my life, now and into the future. Please enjoy the night and don't leave without finding me. ok? Thank you." I touched my hand to my heart and tapped it a few times. "Love you all."

Suddenly, Billy Ocean – Love really hurts without you -- started playing. Everyone was clapping, cheering, and singing to the music as a video started on the big screen. Lucas and Hailey were still visible, just a small square on the side, with Ben's parents, Uncle Reid and Ann Maire - a whole host of people appearing like a frame around the main screen. They could see it all from their end. Lucas was trying to do a homage to the Brady bunch. As the images rolled up, my only thought was, ‘Good god! How did they get all of these!?! ’ There were pictures from preschool days, all the way thru school until the other night, I passed out on the lawn at home after the guys and I drank 3 bottles of Schnapps, and yes, there was a collection of some of the nude run's we'd all done over the years, with the good bits blurred out. Yeah, there were a few wolf-whistles, and cheering to those, hey.

Couldn't help thinking although I looked pretty decent naked, was toned, and trimmed if you know what I mean - so it all looked good. The emotion of it all, I'd started laughing at what was rolling on, and people’s reactions too, but inside it was taking a toll – thankfully, no-one was able to see it.

Ben laughed the hardest, "OMG Jamie, that is so you. That weird face you get when you're drunk."

"Sweet Jeez, that was embarrassing and funny too." There were photos of cars, dirt bikes, my sisters dressing me up like a life-sized doll, ‘thank god I started to grow, finally - they couldn't get stuff to fit me, my only savior," with a host of photos from Lucas and Hailey's wedding through to mine and Ben's. The last picture was of Ben and me at our wedding, under the arbor with everyone there looking at the camera. It was beautiful.

The music changed again - Daniel Powter – Bad Day. The title came up: 'Those that are gone from here but not from our hearts.' The first image was of my grandparents on both sides of the family, with us kids; there were photos of mom and dad with them too. Ben looked at me and kissed my cheek, slipping his arm around me, as I looked back at the screen when a few photos of Sean, Lucas, Aiden and me in the States came on, of some aunts and uncles that had passed, even a few of our friends that had passed. Like everyone, life is a tough gig at times - we'd lost a couple of friends to the curse of depression and illness.

My mind rolled back for a moment when Sean came to visit while I was at High school Stateside. Us all riding dirt bikes with our mates, Gav and Dave, all my dearest friends, even the last picture of Sean and me before he died. I could feel the burning sensation spread all over me. I looked at Ben. "If I didn't know him, his love, I wouldn't have found you," I said, while throwing my arms around Ben, pulling his head against my neck.

Then the music changed. Tim McMorris - Forever in time came on. This started a collection of photos from work, starting with my first days at the fire service college, first drills. Shit, I had no idea, lol, my first shift, first promo course, a succession of them followed. Various phots of me covered in black soot, all manner of jobs: wild forest fires, house fires, rescue. The standout was of me laying on the hood of a car, holding the front passenger in place while the roof was being cut off, even a few animal rescues, bloody cats, ha-ha; appliances parked in-front of homes, with huge walls of fire coming toward them; shots from the cabin driving a blackened sky – like midnight at 1400h, with trees on fire and embers blowing around like fruit blossom on a windy spring day; a few of me sleeping on the ground next to a truck after a nightlong bushfire firefight. I looked over to see who had put this together and I saw Steph and Susan West talking and smiling… of course.

..o0o..

Finally, the night had to end. It was 0400 and pretty much everyone was still here. Man, some people are going to be very tired today. Luckily, Ben and I can sleep on the flight, hey. It was just a touch after 0500h when we go back to my place. Adam and Julie went off to bed after a few goodnights and hugs. “Thank you guys, thank you. I know you had a big hand in that too - mom told me - thank you, guys."

As we walked to my room, I had a thought. I haven't done-it here with anyone, in this apartment - then like an electric shock - or my truck!

"Hey Ben…" I walked into the bedroom. He was standing there in those sexy red trunks, the ones I freaked out about that time – yes,. I think he could see my thoughts on my face.

"OMG Jamie, you are a horndog."

"I know, but look,,," I gestured up and down at him. "Who the hell could not want you, all the time? You're so fuck'n hot."

He didn't need convincing. "But first, can we make out a bit in the truck, you know," I said, wiggling my eyebrows.

"You wanna, in your truck?"

"Yeah… can we, please?"

"Ok, I'm good with that." And just as quickly, he grabbed my hand and led me down to the truck in the garage, quietly closing the internal door from the apartment.

I couldn't believe my luck: he was so hot for it. I grabbed one of the outdoor large cushions that were in the wall rack and threw it in the tub. Before I knew it, Ben was in the back and his trunks were off. We were kneeling chest to chest, making out like there was no tomorrow.

Ben slipped his hand between us and started to stroke us together.

"OMG, this is amazing, Ben." It felt like our animal instincts were taking over, again!

"Jamie…" Ben let go of our cocks and turned around. He leaned forward, bracing himself on the rear tub below the cabin rear window. "Jamie, fuck me."

I didn't need to be asked twice. I gently slipped inside him - the spit worked somewhat, but he was going to be sore tomorrow if I go too far without lube. Damn, he was hot, pushing back on me, matching me stroke for stroke.

"Oh God Jamie, I think I'm gonna cum if we keep this up."

"Ok, let's stop." Ben looked around at me with a confused and almost angry look on his face.

"No, I mean, let's stop here and go up to the bedroom and continue."

"Ok, let's go." I pulled out of Ben and we climbed out of the truck, quietly made our way to the bedroom, where we took up from where we were.

Thank you again to my amazing editor, to my encouraging wingman, but most of all you guys. Who have been so kind, it's heart warming, thank you.
I hope the new year brings y'all the best of everything. John
Copyright © 2018 FSELL; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 23
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thank you FSELL  for this amazing end of the year presente. Outstanding.

Happy new year everyone.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Tonyr said:

Thank you FSELL  for this amazing end of the year presente. Outstanding.

Happy new year everyone.

 Thank you , glad you liked the chapter @Tonyr have a fantastic New Years,  thanks for the kind thoughts too, 😁 John

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, mfa607 said:

Excellent chapter!  Thank you!  Happy New Year!

Thanks so much and happiest of new years to you @mfa607 glad you enjoyed the chapter, all the best 😁

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, heifel35 said:

Jamie is a very loved man😍

He absolutely is and with good reason too @heifel35hope you have the best New Years, glad your enjoying the story, 😁

  • Like 2
Link to comment

An excellent novel.  I read all 201,000+ words in one day!  Please don't stop the story here.  Keep pounding out excellent chapters!  Happy New Year to all!  I hope 2021 is better for all of us!

  • Love 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, rossn said:

An excellent novel.  I read all 201,000+ words in one day!  Please don't stop the story here.  Keep pounding out excellent chapters!  Happy New Year to all!  I hope 2021 is better for all of us!

Wow @rossn that’s awesome. Glad you liked it, and yes absolutely there is more to come, hope2021 is fantastic to us all. Thanks you again for the kind words

  • Like 2
Link to comment

FSells

What a fantasting ending to 2020.  Looking foward to another exciting and eventful future for our two outstanding characters Jamie and Benplus Jamie's  second bro Lucas. You're the best continue what your doing, outstanding writing.

Charles C.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Charlie Calin said:

FSells

What a fantasting ending to 2020.  Looking foward to another exciting and eventful future for our two outstanding characters Jamie and Benplus Jamie's  second bro Lucas. You're the best continue what your doing, outstanding writing.

Charles C.

Thanks So much @Charlie Calin so kind. There is more to come for the boys, thanks again hope you have a brilliant day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Through the reminiscing of growing up antics, and the heroic tales of action in the face of danger, and the more simple rising to be ones best in education and professional leadership, it brings forth the meaning of an ole American comic for the driver force to meet our challenges; but on the lighter side was more literally addressed as the horny couple sealed the deal to “Keep on Truckin’.” 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 1/17/2021 at 10:07 AM, Bft said:

A great chapter Loved it 

Hey @Bft fantastic so glad you liked it, have a fantastic day, ans thanks so much for following. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 1/22/2021 at 7:51 PM, Philippe said:

Through the reminiscing of growing up antics, and the heroic tales of action in the face of danger, and the more simple rising to be ones best in education and professional leadership, it brings forth the meaning of an ole American comic for the driver force to meet our challenges; but on the lighter side was more literally addressed as the horny couple sealed the deal to “Keep on Truckin’.” 

Enjoy! @Philippe glad your liking the story, have an awesome day 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 1/2/2021 at 1:35 PM, rossn said:

An excellent novel.  I read all 201,000+ words in one day!  Please don't stop the story here.  Keep pounding out excellent chapters!  Happy New Year to all!  I hope 2021 is better for all of us!

WOW that is amazing, i could'nt sit still long enough to do that, haha. But hey thank you so much, hope your enjoying the story there's more to come, thanks again @rossn, John 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..