Jump to content
    Geron Kees
  • Author
  • 8,838 Words
  • 2,379 Views
  • 25 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Road of Dreams - 6. Chapter 6

This is a continuation of events that began in Rules of the Road.

The Road of Dreams by Geron Kees

© 2016 by Geron Kees. All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All characters and situations are imaginary. No real people were harmed in the creation of this presentation.

___________________________________________________________________________________


Chapter Six --

They decided that it was time to leave the party. It had been fun, but the evening was wearing on, and no one but Ed was interested in getting high again. They checked the garret before leaving, just to see what the situation was there.

They found Dave Routh and Mike Zurka, both looking a little fucked up, and a few others they didn't know. All were poking through the remains of the plants, which had been scattered about all the way to the back wall of the room. Gone was the bounty that had blessed the garret upon their arrival. Word had gotten out to move the plants, and the result had apparently been a stampede. Brian just stared about the room, unable to quite imagine what it must have been like there in the hours since they had last visited. Crazy.

Dave and Mike seemed happy enough, though. The pockets of their jeans bulged all the way around, stuffed with whatever loot they had been able to pick from the last unsacked plants.

"Is this a party, or is this a party?" Mike asked them, grinning a little stupidly and patting his pockets.

Brian smiled and put his arm around Mike's shoulders. "You driving, Mike?"

Mike snorted. "I came with Dave."

Brian nodded. "Where's Molly?"

"I dunno. I lost her. She's here someplace." He patted his pockets. "Nope. Not there." For just a second the boy looked confused. "Will you help me find her?"

Brian nodded. "Yeah, we will. Just hold tight for a minute."

Brian went over to Dave, who was talking to Ed and Jeff and the girls. "How are you, Dave?"

Dave grinned at him. "I got a hell of a buzz, but I'm not drunk at all, if that's what you're asking."

Brian let loose a sigh of relief. The last thing he wanted was for anyone to pile up their car on the way home from the party. "Where's Molly?"

Dave leaned forward, glanced at Mike. "She's passed out in the front seat of my car. " He winced. "Man, I hope she doesn't puke there."

Brian felt concern over that. "If she's that drunk, you shouldn't leave her long. You going back soon?"

Dave nodded. "Yeah. Couple of more minutes and I'll tell Mike it's time to go."

"Good. You guys gonna be able to get home okay?"

"Yep. That's why I didn't drink tonight. I'm not riskin' putting even a scratch on my new paint."

Brian grinned. "Watch out for Mike, huh? He looks a little lost."

"Yeah, I will." Dave nodded back towards the stairs. "Jim Van Pelt is here. He brought Laura Littman with him."

"Hey, that's cool. I was hoping to see him."

Brian went back to Mike. "Dave says he knows where Molly is, and you guys can get her when you leave. Okay?"

"Great, great. Thanks, Bry." The other boy offered up a silly grin, which just made him even cuter than usual. Brian smiled, and rolled his eyes slightly. Mike was going to feel this in the morning.

Jeff came over as Brian moved away from the others. He shook his head, as though to clear it. "Man, I was stoned out of my mind. I'm not used to smokin' that stuff like that. I'm starting to feel the ground under my feet again." He grinned, gave a little surprised laugh. "I got naked with a girl. I still can't believe that."

Brian leaned closer. "Shit. I fucked one. And you think you're surprised?"

Jeff laughed. His eyes remained bright with humor, but his expression grew more serious. "How do you feel about it?"

"I don't know," Brian admitted. "It was too weird for words. It just...happened." He reached out and ran his fingertips quickly down Jeff's arm. "How do you feel about it?"

Jeff's face compressed in a quick frown, there and gone again in a moment. "Do you mean how do I feel about her...and us?"

Brian nodded. "I can't just go to her and say, 'whoops, sorry about that. Didn't mean it, really'."

"Yeah, I know." Jeff leaned a little closer. "Stop worrying, Brian. This will work itself out."

Brian suddenly smiled, realizing that there had just been a little bit of a role reversal here. Usually, it was him telling Jeff to relax, that things would be okay. It felt funny to be on the receiving end for once. "I love you more than anything," he whispered. "I just...don't know how to do this. Annie is my friend."

Jeff nodded slowly. "I like her, too." He watched Brian's eyes a moment, then smiled. "I love you, Brian. And I am not surprised that something like this happened. This thing with Annie has been kind of hovering near for some time, and it needs to be sorted out. I am okay with it, actually." He leaned closer. "My first orgy. It was really pretty wild."

Brian wanted to hug Jeff, but just touched his arm again instead. "It was different, all right." He shook his head, still a little amazed by the evening's events. "Me and a girl. Man, I never would have thought this would happen to me."

Jeff looked briefly over his shoulder at the others, and Brian could see that his boyfriend wanted to hug him just as much. But instead, Jeff leaned even closer. "Um, man, I gotta ask - was it good?"

Brian sighed, offering a small grin. "Well...it was. It was kind of like what we do, only I was completely aware that I was going in the front door instead of the back. It felt pretty good." He winked. "You might actually want try it sometime, just so you can say you have." He was just kidding, and so was surprised when Jeff looked like he was considering the idea seriously.

Jeff finally laughed. "I like Annie a lot. But I don't know if she'd go for that." He shrugged. "I don't know if I could, even if she wanted to."

Brian nodded. "I never would have thought I could, either. But...Annie's sweet as shit." A surprising thought came to him then. "Ohmigod. I could do it again." That the thought of having sex with Annie was not repellant to him was a revelation. Girls really didn't appeal to Brian. But Annie...the friendship he had with her was catalytic in some form, opening a doorway that Brian had never really known was there. That doorway had let something new in in the area of sex: tolerance.

And Brian had no idea how to deal with it.

Jeff sighed. "Horndog."

Brian looked around again to make sure no one was watching, and rubbed his fingertips down Jeff's arm again. "Only with very special people."

"Oh, you say that to all your boyfriends and girlfriends," Jeff whispered, feigning indignation.

Brian laughed, but didn't feel any real humor. "I'm lost here, Jeff. I don't know what to do."

Jeff's face relaxed, and he smiled, and Brian could see the affection there. "I don't think you need to do a thing just yet, Brian. What happened is...interesting. And I really do think it needs to run its course, or feelings will be hurt." He grinned then. "And you can't do that to Annie."

Relief and affection flooded into Brian. "Pretty sure of yourself, are you?" He wanted so badly so hold Jeff that it hurt.

His boyfriend nodded. "Yes, I am." He leaned closer. "Annie loves you, Brian. And love is made of glass, and has to be handled carefully."

"Yeah." Brian nodded. "I don't want to hurt her, that's for sure."

"Then don't." Jeff didn't even look around before rubbing his fingertips gently along Brian's forearm. "This doesn't affect what you and I have - not like you think it does. I have confidence in us, Brian." He nodded. "You put that feeling there."

Brian fought an urge to allow tears to well. He rubbed his nose, and gave a small sniff.

Jeff only smiled. "See? So stop worrying. This thing is going to do what is has to do, and then it will be done."

Brian bit his lip, and nodded. "Okay."

Jeff risked rubbing Brian's arm again, and nodded past him. "I think you need to talk to her."

Brian's own buzz had diminished considerably, and the slight feeling of paranoia he'd been experiencing was going away. He turned his head slightly, became aware that Annabelle had moved away from the others and was watching him now, probably wondering at what they had done, and whether it was going to impact the future of their friendship. Might as well get this out of the way right now.

He nodded at Jeff, who gave him a supportive look, and then went over to her, smiling. "Hi."

Her smile was a little weak. "Hi."

"Some pretty good pot, huh?"

She nodded. "Brian --"

He put a hand on her arm. "I wouldn't change a thing."

Her smile intensified, and she leaned against him. "I kind of knew about you and Jeff, Brian. I had a feeling."

He nodded. "I kind of knew you knew." He put an arm around her and squeezed her close. "You and I have been friends for a long time, Annie. I think I can honestly say I love you. But I hope you'll understand that I can't quite be with you the way you want me to."

She looked up into his eyes, and gave a slow nod. "It's okay. I have my own screwy things going on, Brian. Me and Missy" -- her face colored, and her smile twisted a little at the ends -- "have kind of a thing going on, too. It's weird. But I think that's why I understand about you and Jeff. I certainly won't tell anyone about it, and I know Missy won't either." Her smile relaxed then. "She's falling for Ed, and Ed would kill her if she did anything to hurt you."

Brian gave her a gentle smile. "A lot of things changed tonight."

Annabelle nodded, and circled an arm around Brian's waist. "You know how long I've dreamed of having sex with you?"

"I think maybe I have an idea." Brian felt a brief wave of embarrassment wash over him. "I wouldn't mind knowing if you enjoyed it."

She grinned up at him. "I'll say I did. Oh my god, Brian, you were excellent."

Brian's embarrassment deepened, but he managed a grin. "You did all the work, sweetie. But I gotta say I thought it felt pretty amazing, too."

Annabelle sighed, and gently nuzzled her face against his side. "Even if it was only one time, I'll never forget it."

Brian was shocked at what came out of his mouth next. "It doesn't have to be just one time."

The girl's face tilted back up at him, her eyes wide. Brian was just a little stunned at what he had said - he'd scarcely articulated that idea to Jeff, and here it was already out in the open with Annie. But...he realized then that he really did feel it. "I mean, I'd like to do it again sometime."

Annabelle just stared at him a moment, before a smile tugged at her mouth. "What about Jeff? I can't do that to him."

Brian nodded. "I was just talking to him about this." He squeezed Annie's wrist. "We really don't know what happened out there. But he and I both know we walked into it freely. So - for now - we both kind of want to see where it will go."

Annie stared past Brian, and Brian turned to look. Jeff was smiling at them.

Brian squashed a laugh, and turned back. "Well, it was the three of us that time. Maybe we can play like that again." He leaned his head down. "I think he's wondering about what it would feel like to...you know. Do something more with you."

Annabelle's mouth dropped open, and she gave a surprised laugh, her eyes twinkling in the light from the bare bulb overhead. "Oh my god, Brian. What have we started?"

He squeezed her again. "Something different, that's for sure. But something that needs to run its course, I think." He laid his cheek on top of her head. "I love Jeff," he whispered. "But I am pretty crazy about you, too."

She tilted her face up to him, her eyes shining and interested, and Brian kissed her. She offered her tongue, and they spent a minute exploring that.

Annie was pleasant to kiss, even if the feeling was different from kissing Jeff, the love of a completely different quality. Jeff energized Brian quite unlike anyone had ever done; while Annie was a more subtle, relaxed and restful flavor. He could feel her affection for him - her desire for him - and now felt no surprise that he felt some of the same for her. She had been around for too long, and too closely, to be anything but comfortable now.

"Just one thing I need to know now," he said, pulling back a little, "is how you feel about Jeff."

Annie laughed. "Well, he's not hard to look at naked, for one thing."

Brian laughed with her. "There's a start. But what I really mean is - you know."

"I like him." She smiled up at him. "And knowing you love him - and he loves you - makes him even more special."

Brian gave her a small squeeze. "I do love him, Annie. More than anything else. Do you get that?"

She nodded. "Yeah. I do." She looked up at him. "I understand that, Brian. Believe me, I do."

He sighed. "I don't know what to do, but I also know this isn't over yet. Could you...get along with the idea of hanging out with both of us a little?"

"Yes." She leaned closer and gave him a look. "And if you're asking if I could do that with the two of you again, the answer is also yes."

Brian grinned at her. "I thought this would be harder. I'm glad it wasn't."

"Yeah. I want to make it easy, Brian, not harder. Think I'm stupid?"

He smiled down at her. "Never. Okay...well, then, I know it's a little clichéd to say it, but let's take our time with this - go slow. I mean, I am definitely in some new territory here - we both are. Jeff, too. I don't want to step on any toes by accident."

Annie laughed, and her eyes were fond. "That's one of the things I like about you, Brian. No commitment, but really sweet in the way you go about it."

Brian shrugged, grinning. "I'm doing my best here."

She kissed him, and then nodded. "I know. Thanks."

He squeezed his arm around Annie, and pulled her along back to Jeff, who watched them come with a smile. "Looks like nice things were said."

Annie grinned. "They were."

Brian closed his eyes a moment, trying in his mind to see where he was going. He had never in his life doubted that he was gay. He still did not doubt that basic fact. So - what was happening here?

One thing he was certain of: this could not be allowed to get between himself and Jeff. But his boyfriend seemed also caught up somehow in what had happened, and interested perhaps in at least looking at where it might go. Brian sensed only support from Jeff. It eased his sense of guilt over what had happened, but only so much. Annie was, after all, Brian's friend. Jeff barely knew her by comparison. Still, what had happened in the cornfield had been the work of all three of them, not just Brian alone. That group spirit was somehow maintaining, suggesting that whatever was going on was not over yet.

Ed came over then. "Dave said Jim was here."

Brian nodded. "Yeah, he told me."

"He also tell you that Jim was looking for you?"

"No. Why?"

Ed gave Brian an odd little smile. "Jim got to the shopping center after we left. He was late because Laura couldn't get away from her house any earlier. Jim said he just missed us, but Bailey was still at the shopping center getting his beer together, and he had heard the directions. So Jim and Laura came up on their own."

Brian smiled. "I'm sure there's a reason for this story, right?"

Ed rolled his eyes. "Jim was coming up Route 5 when some Vette came along and messed with him. Jim got beat."

Brian narrowed his eyes. "Really? Must not be local talent. I don't know any really running Vettes around."

Ed grinned. "Dave said that Jim said it was a chick."

Annie laughed. "A girl in a Corvette beat Jim? I wanna hear about this."

Brian nodded. "Me, too. Let's go see if we can find him."

JohnyG, who had been silent until that point, gave Brian a little poke. "Mind if Gary and I tag along? We want to hear about this Vette."

"Hey, come on. The more the merrier, I always say." He grinned, letting the other know they were far from done yet.

They collected everyone in their group and headed for the steps. Brian gave Dave one last look, pointing at Mike, and Dave gave him the thumbs up.

They went back down through the house, looking into every room as they passed, trying to spot Jim and Laura. The party seemed in no way to be winding down; in fact, it looked like there were more people there now than when Brian and his group had arrived.

Brian was standing on the landing at the head of the steps to the first floor, trying to decide if they had hit every upstairs room, when he felt a curious motion. The others were still coming down the upper flight of steps; he turned and motioned to everyone to stop where they were. "Check it out. It feels like the floor is moving."

Everyone stopped, looking questioningly at him.

Brian was standing still, one hand on the stair rail. Just at the limit of his perception was the faintest of motions, as if the landing was moving gently back and forth beneath his feet. He frowned, not sure if it was real or his imagination, and let go of the rail, standing stock-still, his feet together.

It was there. Slow and regular, like the breathing of some giant living thing, the house was moving, causing Brian's head to experience a kind of reverse pendulant effect as it sensed the faint motion of the floor beneath his feet.

"I don't feel anything," Ed said, looking at him.

Brian grinned at him. "You wouldn't. The inside of your head moves on its own, anyway."

Everyone laughed.

"I feel it," JohnyG said. Gary nodded, his hand on JohnyG's shoulder, as though that somehow gave accent to the movement.

"Me, too," Jeff added. "Like the house is slowly swaying back and forth."

Brian nodded. "That's it. The dude on the front porch said people were feeling this. I thought he was messing with us."

"You think the house will fall down?" Missy asked, alarm in her eyes.

Brian shook his head. "No. All buildings move a little. I think we're just feeling a sort of combined oscillation from so many people inside this one, walking around. Looking at the way this place is built, I can't imagine it would cave in or anything." But - better safe than sorry. "Let's go on downstairs. Jim and Laura have to be here somewhere."

They found them in the kitchen, by the beer, each with a red cup in hand.

"There you are," Jim said, as they came in. "Man, I was beginning to think we'd never find you in this mess." He grinned. "Isn't there a rule or something about having so many fucked up people in one place at one time?"

Laura Littman smiled at them, waving at Annabelle and Missy. Those two girls went over to talk to her while Jim came over to stand by Brian.

"You guys been here long? We saw Dave upstairs and he said he talked to you."

Jim shrugged. "About an hour." He laughed. "Dave still in the attic? I heard there was some huge pot harvest up there. When I saw Mikey he acted like he'd smoked a pretty good part of it himself."

Jeff nodded. "He was walking light when we saw him. But I think it was more the beer than the pot."

"Yeah, probably. " Jim didn't smoke pot - he was a beer drinker, when he partied at all. He looked at Brian. "Dave tell you about the Vette?"

Brian smiled. "Kind of. He told Ed some chick in a Corvette iced you on the way up here."

Jim nodded, holding up his beer as an accent. "No lie, Brian. It was a sixty-eight, pearl white, with black pinstripes and Cragar mags - pretty car. We were coming out Route Five, and I saw it coming in the rear view mirror, and I mean, it was coming fast. It went by us like we were parked at the Burger King eating french fries."

"That ain't no run," Ed said then. "Dave said this Vette smoked you."

Jim shrugged. "After it went by it disappeared up the road. I didn't think anything else about it except that the dude driving it was nuts. But we went around a curve in the road, and there it was, sitting on the shoulder. Waiting for us."

Brian's eyebrows bounced upwards. "Really?"

"Yup. As soon as we went by it came after us, and pulled alongside. I looked over, and there was this blonde chick driving. Cute, too."

Ed laughed. "Some woo-woo in that Chevy, huh?"

Jim grinned. "Yeah. Well, she waved a hand, like, 'let's go', and so we did."

Brian nodded. "What happened?"

"Shit, I pulled away from her at first, until we hit a hundred and ten or so, and then she caught me. After that, she just started to walk away from me. You know my car, Brian. I'm geared for the quarter. I top out at about a hundred and twenty."

"You hit that?" Brian asked, amazed. Jim's 'Runner was quick, but not terribly fast. "You must have been tached out."

"Pretty much. And I don't like to run long at the top end, either. So I just backed off and let her go. That's when I saw it."

"Saw what?" Jeff asked.

Jim grinned. "There was writing across the top of the tail of that Vette - black script, professionally done. It said, 'If you can beat me, you can eat me.'"

Brian looked at Jeff and Ed, and they all started laughing.

"I've heard of that car," JohnyG said, then. "She's way out of her territory, out here. She's from back my way." He nodded. "That Vette runs, but it's a top-ender. That chick likes to run for speed, not for the quarter. Nobody's claimed the date with her yet."

"That's why I was thinking of you, Brian," Jim said. "Your Bee doesn't seem to have a top end."

Ed laughed. "I'll vouch for that. We went over 130 once and I nearly pissed myself."

Brian grinned. "I remember. Scared the hell out of both of us." He looked pointedly at Jim. "I'm not in a hurry to go that fast again. The car felt like any gust of wind might blow it off the road."

Jim nodded. "My 'Runner's the same way. Those b-bodies push a lot of air, and a lot of it winds up underneath the car. Not a very secure feeling."

"So who is this chick?" Jeff asked, looking at JohnyG. "You know her?"

"Nope. Just heard about the car. No one has topped her for speed, and she doesn't stop and talk."

"Fuckin' Vette," Jim said, shaking his head. "The faster it goes, the more its aerodynamics push it down on the ground. No way a box like my Roadrunner can compete with that on top end. 'Runners are quarter-milers, and that's mostly it."

"Same with my car," Brian pointed out. "Now if she pulls up next to me at a light, I'll do the quarter with her. But I have no intention of running my speedometer to the pin. That's over 150 miles per hour."

JohnyG grinned. "I'm in the same boat as your buddy here. My Camino tops out around a hundred and fifteen miles per hour. But she likes to get there in a hurry."

Jim looked over at JohnyG, then back to Brian. "This guy with you?"

Brian nodded. "Sorry. Jim, this is JohnyG. He has a really nice seventy El Camino parked outside. He passed us on the way up here like we were, uh, parked at Burger King eating french fries. JohnyG, this is my buddy Jim."

Jim grinned. "Another lead foot? I think I saw your car outside. You got a personalized tag, right? Pretty blue color."

They shook hands, and JohnyG waved a hand at Gary, who was getting himself a beer. "Me and my buddy there came all the way from Albany for this gig. So far, it's been a lot of fun." His eyes moved over to land on Brian and Jeff. "Met some really nice people here."

Jeff grinned at Brian, and Brian couldn't help smiling himself. "That goes both ways, too."

Jim looked over Brian's group. "Are you guys leaving already?"

"Soon," Brian agreed. "Still time to cruise a little and stuff. This is the kind of party you visit, not take up residence at." He leaned forward though. "Way we heard it, this place will be vacant after tomorrow. I was thinking we could drive up here sometimes - just our group - and hang out. Great place to drink a little beer and catch a buzz."

Jim nodded. "Hey, that's a an interesting idea." He looked around the kitchen. "We could have a great time here."

Ed grinned. "Slim on the front porch said a bunch of car thieves used to run out of this place, and that the basement is loaded with old car parts."

Jim's eyes widened, as if Ed had said that there might be gold hidden under the house. "Oh? That will have to be looked into, of course."

"Of course," Brian agreed, smiling.

Jim shrugged then. "Well, maybe we won't stay too long, either. I'll talk to Laura and see what she wants to do. We might see you guys again down the road."

Brian nodded. "Anything going on at Zion tonight?"

"Huh? Shit, everyone's here. Nobody home to run." Jim made a face, as if to say figure that one out. Brian saw then that Jim would rather be at the car crowd's unofficial track, Zion Road, than at a party with a pretty girl. For Jim, cars came before everything.

"We're walking out to the cars here in a minute," Brian said. "If you and Laura stay and go upstairs to see the guillotine, keep back from the blade when it goes down." He indicated the tiny spots on the front of his tee-shirt. "Otherwise you'll get blood spattered on you."

Jim paused, his cup of beer halfway to his mouth, and his eyes widened. "What?"

Brian grinned. "You'd have to see. It's fun, if you don't get too close."

They showed Jim and Laura the secret stairway, and held the door open for light while the two went up the steps to the second floor to see the guillotine.

Then they headed back outside, stepping onto the front porch in time to hear a sudden popping sound and see sparks flying all over the place in the graveyard off to the left of the house.

"Stupid fuckers," Jed said, getting up out of his chair. "I warned them." He reached back to the other side of his chair and came up with a shotgun. Carrie put out a hand and grabbed the stock of the gun, causing Jed to pause and look down at her.

"Leave that," she said, firmly. "It's just fireworks of some kind. Just go and look, and tell them to stop. Fireworks aren't hurtin' nothin'" She gave a small tug on the gun. "This might."

Jed stared at her a moment, then nodded, relinquishing the firearm to her grasp. "Yeah." He looked further down the porch, at where another long-haired dude seemed to be asleep in another car seat. "Come on, Al."

That fellow sighed, and got up, and proved to be not the type of guy you would want to provoke. He came down the length of the porch, floorboards groaning beneath his weight. Brian gauged the guy at at least six feet five inches tall, and certainly well over two hundred pounds in weight. He actually felt the floorboards sag under his feet as the guy went by. He joined Jed, and the two of them stomped off towards the graveyard.

"You all have a good time?"

It was Carrie. She smiled up at them, looking less stoned now than when they had come in.

Brian nodded. "Probably the best party I've ever been to."

There was a chorus of "yeahs" from the others, and a group nod.

"Be careful on the road," she said. "Moon's out. Means it's dream time."

Brian looked at her. "Dream time?"

She smiled, and nodded. "Road's a strange place. Always off to somewhere, never stopping when it gets there. By day it's pretty clear where you're headin'. At night, it's never clear at all. But when the moon's up, it's in between. That's the time when the road shows you things. When you see things you might miss by day, and by night. You go long enough, you'll meet up with every dream you ever had." She sighed. "Don't get distracted and have a wreck."

Brian watched her a moment, trying to see if she was having fun with them. But the woman's eyes were clear, and her expression just interested. These were some strange people, having this party, he decided. He got the distinct impression that they had been around some, maybe seen a lot of things in life that he could only imagine.

He nodded. "Thanks. We'll be careful."

Carrie nodded, too, seeming satisfied with Brian's answer. "I'd say come back and see us - but we won't be here." She sighed, looked over at the dimly-lit trailer that she and Jed had called home for three years, then let her gaze slide off across the land. "Gonna miss this place."

"Good luck," Jeff said, from beside Brian. "Wherever you guys land."

Carrie smiled, returning her gaze to their group. "Thanks for that. Thanks for stopping by."

"Uh, thanks for sharing," Ed said. Brian smiled over at him, at first thinking that Ed meant the pot crop; but then he saw the expression on his friend's face, and understood that Ed just mean thanks for sharing everything.

Carrie nodded. "Our pleasure."

Brian nodded again, gave the odd woman a little wave, and started back towards the Bee, the others falling in with him.

"Kind of an amazing night," JohnyG said, as they pulled up at his car. Ed and the girls waved, and moved on towards where they'd parked the Dodge, but Jeff hung with them. JohnyG waved and smiled at them before turning back to Brian. "Not in a hurry for it to be over." His eyes settled on Brian's. "Where you guys off to?"

Brian shrugged. "Oh - I don't know. Cruise a little, probably. Drop by the shopping center and see if anyone is there." He grinned. "I feel a like a run after all that - but our whole crowd is here, so Zion is likely a wasteland. Maybe I'll wander over to McClelland Road and see if any of the Kennedy bunch is there."

JohnyG sighed. "Man. Nothing like the high school days, Brian. Enjoy 'em while they're here."

"I thought I was already doing that," Brian pointed out. He was getting that JohnyG didn't really want to part with them. Maybe the guy had seen a little something familiar among them - something he remembered from a few years back, and missed. "Hey," Brian continued. "You and Gary are welcome to tag along. We'll show you where we hang, and that way you can always drop back if the urge strikes you."

JohnyG turned and looked at Gary, who had been listening to the conversation. Gary grinned. "Hey, it's cool with me, John."

The El Camino driver turned back to Brian, nodding. "Yeah, we'll do that. " He gave Brian a small nudge. "If I ever decide I want to run that Bee of yours, I'll know where to find it."

Brian grinned. "There you go. Okay, cool. "

"Uh...one more thing." JohnyG waved a finger after the girls, and lowered his voice. "You two moved into some new territory tonight. You need to talk about it, me and Gary both have ears."

Brian sighed, and nodded. "Thanks. We might need that." He started off, Jeff falling in with him.

"Oh," Brian said, stopping as a thought occurred to him. He turned back, and JohnyG, who had opened the door of his car, looked at him.

"No driving on the shoulder, okay?" Brian said.

JohnyG laughed, and he and Gary climbed into the El Camino.

"Guy's a little nuts, you know?" Jeff said, as they headed back to their cars. "But in a cool way."

Brian nodded. "Those two have been around a little more than us, Jeff. I'm kind of interested in what they can tell us about " -- he lowered his voice and leaned closer to his boyfriend -- "about being gay."

Jeff looked shocked. "Are we gay?"

Brian grinned. "Well, you're gay. I'm bi, because I've screwed at least one chick." He was kidding, and Jeff knew it.

Jeff laughed, and grabbed Brian's arm and pulled him closer, until their shoulders bounced together. Brian returned the grin, wishing he could just say the hell with it and give his boyfriend a hug. But there were people about, everywhere, and he just wasn't that brave. Someday, maybe.

Ed and the girls were standing by the Bee. They smiled as Brian and Jeff came up. "What're we doing now?" Ed asked. "We could smoke another joint."

Brian laughed. "Never get enough, do you?"

Ed shrugged, letting loose a grin. "What's enough? When I keel over?"

Brian shook his head and turned to Jeff. "Can I ride with you? Please?"

Ed's eyes got big. "Dude, that'll work. I'll take good care of your baby." He showed some teeth in a horrendous grin. "Just toss me the keys, man."

Jeff laughed and gave Brian's wrist a squeeze. "Open mouth, insert foot."

Brian sighed. Just then, JohnyG's El Camino pulled up beside them. The driver killed the engine, but not before Brian heard the lope of the cam, and the whisper of air going down the carb. Lots of air. The car sounded impressive, and Brian was willing to bet that it ran like it sounded.

JohnnyG opened his door and stepped out on the sill, then straightened, holding onto the upper edge of the door. He grinned at them across the roof of the Chevy. "Hey, people, what do you get when you cross a midget with a prostitute?"

Brian blinked at the sudden change of direction in his thoughts, then smiled. He looked at Jeff, who just shrugged.

"What?" Brian asked, knowing better - but he couldn't help himself.

JohnyG pulled up his right hand and held it out, palm-down, about two feet above the Chevy's roof. "A little fucker about that high."

Brian grinned, and he heard the girls groaning.

"Hey, I don't write 'em," JohnyG said, grinning. "I just spread 'em around."

Jeff leaned a little bit against Brian. "Decided where we're going?"

Brian smiled at him. "Is it up to me?"

Jeff's eyes fastened on his, and he nodded. "Yes. Wherever you go, I'm right with you."

Brian could see the depth of meaning there. Jeff had already made it clear that they were in this world together. That he liked to repeat that fact every now and then only made Brian feel wonderful.

Brian looked quickly to his left, took in the multitude of cars parked in the field, and the lit house with its cadre of partyers passing back and forth behind softly-lit windows. His gaze slid over the fields outside the house, taking in the shadowy crowds of other partyers as they milled about in aimless circles that only had meaning to the deeply stoned. His eyes then moved quickly to the right, running over the eerie, serrated, moonlit landscape of cornstalks, to find the dark bulk of the mountain in the other direction, its crown still lit by the ghost lights of late-night hikers journeying about in pursuit of a midnight high under the stars.

No one was watching them. They were surrounded by a multitude, and no eyes were upon them - no one could see them. Brian felt an utter sense of surprise. Someday was here already.

He leaned forward, took Jeff into his arms, and kissed him. Jeff stiffened, obviously shocked; but then he seemed to melt against Brian, circling his own arms around to rub gently over Brian's back. The kiss was long, and it held life of its own, and Brian's body tingled with the utter delight of it.

They finally parted, grinning.

JohnyG immediately started clapping, and Gary whistled at them like an overawed teen at his first rock concert from the passenger window of the El Camino. Brian and Jeff looked at each other, and Brian was realizing that they had just reached another milestone in their relationship.

They had tempted fate. They had dared. They had risked discovery, and it had been oh-so-easy to do. And, somehow, it had felt right.

"That was just fuckin' awesome," Ed said, beaming at them. "Damn, I love love."

Brian and Jeff laughed.

"So where we off to?" JohnyG called. "Anybody decided?"

Everybody looked at Brian, who raised one eyebrow and smiled. "Um...back to the shopping center in Alna? Then maybe to Mickey Dee's for something to eat? Then over to McClelland Road, to see if we can catch a run?"

"Lead the way, jack," JohnyG said, getting back into the El Camino. He started the car, once again treating them to the humpty-dumpty sound of its idle.

"Car's cammed out the ass," Jeff noted. "I can hear some large air going down the hole, too. Big Holley, by the sound of it."

Brian stared at his boyfriend. "Can you really tell what kind of carb JohnyG's got by the sound of it?"

Jeff grinned. "Nah. It's a Chevy. What else would it be?"

Brian laughed. "Follow me?"

"Maybe for the rest for my life," Jeff said, tossing him a wink as he headed over towards his Camaro.

Ed came closer to Brian, gave him a little poke. "Guys got it for you, Bry. Way to go."

"Shut up, Ed," Brian said, sighing. He headed around to the driver's door of the Bee, unlocked it, and crawled inside, reaching over to unlock the passenger door.

To his great surprise, Ed got into the back seat with Missy. "Do you mind, Bry?" he asked, grinning.

Brian closed his door, smiled as Annie got in the front with him and closed her door. "Nope. Just hope we don't run into any injuns on the road, 'cause we'll be in deep shit without my shotgun rider."

"I can shoot," Annie said, smiling at him. "And pretty well, too."

Brian tried not to laugh. "Hmm. I'll bet you can, little girl. I forgot how well you hit the target earlier."

Annie's eyes sparkled at him as she reached out and gave his arm a small slap. "You be good now, Brian Temple. Don't make me get rough with you."

Brian imagined that for a moment, and whistled. "Owww! Mama!"

Annie slapped him again, but her smile said she was a long way from wanting to hurt him.

Brian heard Jeff's car start, and he started the Bee right after that. The tach jumped off the pin as the engine roared to life and settled down to a lope that sounded every bit as impressive as Jeff's or JohnyG's.

Yeah, that's right, Brian thought, smiling. Move over, Chevrolet. The Mopar has arrived.

He pulled the shifter back into first gear and let his foot off the brake slowly. The car edged forward at idle, the rear tires only turning once in the damp grass as the car got moving.

"Last thing I want is to get stuck down in this hole," Brian said, looking at the drive as it ran up the slope ahead of them. "Bet when that's mud, it's impassable."

He could see Jeff's Camaro in the rear view mirror as it pulled in behind him, and the headlights of JohnyG's Camino as it joined the line. Brian headed up the dirt drive, going slow, keeping the Dodge in first gear as it made its way in no hurry up the steep incline.

"Hell of a party," Ed said then. "I won't be forgettin' this one in a hurry."

Brian had to agree. It hadn't just been a good party - it had been a great evening. He had learned some things about himself and his friends - things of importance, things that mattered. And - he sighed. And, he had realized once again how much he loved Jeff, even as he was making room in his heart and soul for Annie to be closer to him. He looked over at her for a moment, and she caught it, and smiled at him. "What?"

Brian took his hand off the shifter, found hers with it and laced their fingers together. "Nothing. Hell of a night."

Her fingers tightened against his. "I'll say."

Brian gave her arm a small tug, and she slid closer to him, until their shoulders touched. He spared her a glance, smiled in return to the one she was offering.

In the rear view mirror, he saw Ed grinning at him.

"Don't you have something you should be doing?" Brian said, tossing his eyes pointedly at Missy.

Ed nodded, lifted an arm and draped it around Missy's shoulders, and made a point of looking down at Missy's breasts. She looked at him, her expression a mixture of pleased and embarrassed. "Window shopping again?"

Ed nodded. "Still hoping to sample the cabbages, sweetheart."

Missy's mouth worked into a full smile. "Maybe we can arrange something."

Brian let his eyes go back to the drive.

The Bee topped the hill, and Brian turned them into the corn. The moon was high overhead and off to their left now, its light strong enough in the flawlessly clear sky to paint shadows everywhere. The Dodge's headlights cut into them, slaying the shifting darkness on the drive ahead caused by the cornstalks waving in the light breeze.

They reached the road, and Brian stopped, looking both ways. The road was empty in both directions. This is the sticks, okay?

He turned left, goosed the Bee a bit, heard a satisfying squeal from the rear tires. He watched as Jeff turned out behind him, heard also the Chevy as it licked the road a bit; JohnyG of course, made the biggest noise. Brian grinned.

They headed back down Ridge Road to Route 38, and took that back to Route 5. Without the long line of cars behind them, Brian felt more comfortable going a little faster.

Until he got to Route 5, that is. As he turned right on that road to head back to town, he was careful to keep the Bee within a few miles per hour of the posted limit. All they would need would be one zealous cop to pull them over and find cause to open the trunk, and then all of them would be spending the rest of the night in the county lock up. And there was likely cause enough, what with Ed's bong and baggie in the car should they be discovered.

Jeff stayed with him, and JohnyG just behind. Brian would look in the rear view mirror every now and then, a little amazed at the El Camino driver's patience. He didn't pull out so much as a single time from his slot behind Jeff's Camaro. The minutes passed uneventfully, while the cars patiently ate road.

Traffic was non-existent this far out. There was no one going their way, and maybe one car would pass going in the other direction every five minutes or so. The road ahead was bathed in sharp moonlight, the landscape eerily spelled out with a clarity that twilight could not match. The moon hung lower now, having passed its zenith and begun its journey down the other side of the sky.

"It does look like a dream," Annie said softly, staring through the Dodge's windshield at the land beyond the wash of the headlights. "It's all one color, like something you'd see inside your head while you were asleep."

Brian looked at her, and gave her a small squeeze. "Don't let that lady on the porch get to you, little girl."

Annie looked at him and smiled. "She didn't. I've thought that moonlight was kind of magical my whole life. The world looks a little like a picture negative held up to a strong light."

Brian looked back out at the world ahead of them, and nodded. "It does, a little. Almost like it's not real."

He heard the bleat of a horn then, and looked in the rear view mirror. Jeff flicked his headlights to high and back to low in rapid succession. Brian turned to look into his side mirror.

Headlights were visible, far behind them. Brian checked the speedometer, realized he had let the car ease up to sixty again. He lightened the pressure of his foot on the gas pedal, and the Bee obediently slowed back to the posted speed of fifty. Brian checked the side mirror again. The headlights were closer.

"Ed, what'd you do with your mini?" he asked, glancing in the rear view mirror.

His friend was down out of sight, but sat up quickly, looking surprised. "It's here. Why?"

"Can you put it under the seat?"

"Uh - no. It has water in it. I thought we might need it."

Brian grimaced. "Give it to Annie - quickly. " He looked over at the girl. "Dump the water out of your window. Do it fast."

The Bee was a coupe model - the rear windows didn't roll down. Each glass pane was mounted on hinges in the front, and the rear of the glass pushed out about three inches and stopped on a latch. Most of the air was expected to come in the large front side windows - the rear ones were little more than vents. Only the hardtop Superbees had roll-down rear windows.

Ed handed the bong over the seat, and Annie took it carefully, leaned out her window, and emptied the water in the airstream alongside. She shook it once, and brought it back inside, turned, and handed it back over the seat to Ed.

"What's going on?" Ed asked. Brian looked at him in the rear view mirror. Ed appeared to be zipping up his fly. Missy was up sitting up now, too, looking bewildered.

"Headlights coming up fast," Brian said. "We want to be ready, just in case it's a cop. Stick the mini under the seat, and put your baggie there with it." Cops might look in the car if they stopped them, but they wouldn't search it unless they saw something illegal.

Ed frowned, and Brian could see his friend thinking about all the pot in the trunk. Ed stashed his stuff under the seat, then shook his head, sat back and put an arm around Missy. "Relax, babe."

Annie slid closer, up against Brian. Brian turned up the radio slightly - Jefferson Starship's No Way Out eased into the car. Brian put his arm around Annie and gave her a small squeeze. "Everybody relax."

The headlights continued to come up on them in the rear view mirror, and Brian was thinking they were going to zip right by them - but they slowed as they came up behind the El Camino, and hung there a full minute, while Brian let his eyes flick back and forth to the road ahead, watching.

"What's happening?" Ed said, softly.

"Checking us out, I think...no, here they come."

The headlights passed over into the left lane and moved forward. As the strange car came up alongside the El Camino, light spill from JohnyG's headlights illuminated it, and Brian could suddenly see the red and blue beanies on the roof, with the horn speaker in between, and the unmistakable shape of the car's front grille. Ford LTD.

State boy.

Brian gritted his teeth, tried to keep his eyes on the road ahead, and still view the progress of the trooper in his side mirror. The cop car eased forward, came up beside Jeff, hung a moment, and then started to come up by the Bee.

"Be cool, everyone," Brian said quickly, forcing himself to relax.

The car came forward, pulled alongside. Brian stared at the road ahead, and then realized that if it had been any other car pulling slowly alongside, he would turn to look. So he turned his head to look.

There were two troopers in the car, and both of them were scoping the Bee's interior. The passenger's eyes met Brian's, and Brian acted a little surprised, and said out loud, "Hey, there's a cop next to us." Somehow, he managed to smile.

Annie raised up a little and looked past Brian at the troopers, smiled, and lifted a hand and waved.

The troopers both suddenly smiled, and the passenger lifted a hand and returned the wave. The police car surged forward, and soon the taillights were disappearing around a curve in the road ahead. Brian kept the Bee right at fifty, just in case the cops pulled over to wait and see what they might do.

But they never saw them again.

After about ten minutes of serene sailing in the quiet moonlight, Brian suddenly realized he could breathe again, and sighed. "That...was a little rough."

Ed grinned at him in the mirror. "Imagination is a bad motherfucker, huh? I could hear the cell door slamming in my head, man."

Brian looked at his watch. It was five after eleven. "Made me hungry, I know that. We're just going to do a drive through of the shopping center when we get there, to show JohnyG and Gary where it is, and then I'm for Mickey Dee's."

He could feel Annie nod beside him, and saw Ed mimic the move in the mirror. But then his friend was grinning, and turning back to Missy. "Now - where were we, sweetheart?" And they both sank down out of view.

Brian glanced at Annie. "I think you did the right thing, waving at them. They saw a pretty, smiling girl, and they figured we couldn't be up to no good."

Annie beamed at him. "My Uncle Ray is a county mountie, did you know that?"

Brian laughed out loud. "Now you tell me."

She nodded. "He says a carload of guys can be trouble, but when they have their girls with them, they're thinking about other things."

Brian grinned. "Yeah? What other things might that be?"

Annie dropped a hand on Brian's thigh, rubbed it gently, let her fingers slide dangerously close to his crotch. "I can only imagine."

Brian smiled at the little thrill that ran throughout his body at Annie's touch. But --

"My boyfriend's right behind us," he said quietly.

Annie nodded, leaned closer. "And I'm right beside you," she whispered.

Brian laughed, feeling an inexplicably complicated sensation pass briefly through his head and then scamper away. He couldn't make up his mind whether he was delighted or scared at the prospect of having two people care about him like this. He couldn't quite see where this particular road was leading him - only that it looked arrow-straight at the present.

Arrow-straight, and coated in moonlight, like the dreams from which it was made.

Copyright © 2017 Geron Kees; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another superb, and superbly written chapter. I, too, loved the part about the moon and the road and dreams. There's a little bit of magic in each chapter so far. The cop car scene was scary... i was right in that scene, remembering my own close calls, where my heart was in my mouth. You put me through a lot of emotions in this one, Geron, but I'm not complaining... just processing. I eagerly await the next one... cheers, buddy... Gary....

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 01/14/2017 04:03 AM, starboardtack said:

Loved your language about daylight, darkness, the moonlight and the road. Simply beautiful.

Thank you for the kind words. I have a particular love of night and the moon, and I guess it shows. I think the only thing that is more beautiful than the world we see with our eyes is the fact that nature has seen fit to create eyes and minds that can appreciate that beauty.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 01/14/2017 04:24 AM, Headstall said:

Another superb, and superbly written chapter. I, too, loved the part about the moon and the road and dreams. There's a little bit of magic in each chapter so far. The cop car scene was scary... i was right in that scene, remembering my own close calls, where my heart was in my mouth. You put me through a lot of emotions in this one, Geron, but I'm not complaining... just processing. I eagerly await the next one... cheers, buddy... Gary....

You are spoiling me, Gary. Go right ahead! :)

 

Yep, I think every teen that has ever driven has at least one of those memories of cops eyeballing them in the night. Even if you are totally innocent, there is something slightly predatory about that act that raises the hair on our necks. Not something you forget easily, and not something you should, either.

 

As always, your review means a lot to me. Thank you!

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

The scene with Carrie on the porch was spooky--I got premonitory chills from her words--and then we had the magic on the ride to Alna. I couldn't help thinking that Carrie might have had some Aborigine blood in her with her talk of a 'Dreamtime'.

 

So far, I'm less concerned about the Jeff-Annie-Brian mix than before...they've talked things over a little, and while more seems to be needed--no one is throwing any possessive fits...it's all about love in it's various forms, and one of the strongest of those is friendship, though it is often classed as less than that.

 

I have never driven, but I was in a car which had been stopped shortly after moving into town--an old friend came into town, and he and I went to a gay bar downtown with his friend who drove. We left the bar, and the guy was driving kinda fast, and my friend and I told him to slow down, and got worried when he said 'Just have to lose somebody'. Turned out, that was a police car, and it's companion...my friend and I lay on the sidewalk while our ID's were checked, and the driver was questioned...he went to jail for the night, and his car was impounded. My friend and I had to walk back to my house, which was fortunately only about twelve blocks away. Next day, my friend and his ride went back home, and I don't know if they remained friends or not. From that point on, I never ride with anyone who drinks, even if it means taking a cab or walking.

 

Eager for the next one, my friend!!

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I'm sorry, but I just can't continue. It makes me almost nauseous that after what happened, they are all "oh, I love you so much". Maybe I'm the only gay man who believes this, but if I'm not enough for my partner, he can go fuck himself. I'm also NOT sharing my man with anyone, male of female. I've always felt this way, so their just being teenagers is BS. Oh well, better to get turned off the story now rather than 20 chapters in. Best wishes on the rest of the story.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 01/14/2017 07:41 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

The scene with Carrie on the porch was spooky--I got premonitory chills from her words--and then we had the magic on the ride to Alna. I couldn't help thinking that Carrie might have had some Aborigine blood in her with her talk of a 'Dreamtime'.

 

So far, I'm less concerned about the Jeff-Annie-Brian mix than before...they've talked things over a little, and while more seems to be needed--no one is throwing any possessive fits...it's all about love in it's various forms, and one of the strongest of those is friendship, though it is often classed as less than that.

 

I have never driven, but I was in a car which had been stopped shortly after moving into town--an old friend came into town, and he and I went to a gay bar downtown with his friend who drove. We left the bar, and the guy was driving kinda fast, and my friend and I told him to slow down, and got worried when he said 'Just have to lose somebody'. Turned out, that was a police car, and it's companion...my friend and I lay on the sidewalk while our ID's were checked, and the driver was questioned...he went to jail for the night, and his car was impounded. My friend and I had to walk back to my house, which was fortunately only about twelve blocks away. Next day, my friend and his ride went back home, and I don't know if they remained friends or not. From that point on, I never ride with anyone who drinks, even if it means taking a cab or walking.

 

Eager for the next one, my friend!!

I didn't really mean to paint Carrie as witch-like so much as point out how teenagers sometimes view older folk as mysterious and a little uncanny. That is something all teens have felt at one time or another. But Brian's feeling that the people running the party had been around a bit was likely valid. The children of the sixties were a different breed than the ones of the eighties. As a kid myself, I thought the older longhairs (both male and female) an exotic breed.

 

The thing about love is that the weirdest things can strengthen it, or tear it down. Contrasts are something teenagers see a lot more clearly than a lot of adults, and sometimes they are drawn to things they would normally view with antipathy, because that very strangeness needs to be explored in order to better understand something inside themselves.

 

I never got laid out on the sidewalk, but I had my car searched once as a teen, just because I was going fast, and was relieved that no one had left any surprises under the seat!

 

I know some people have a very strong

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 01/14/2017 09:13 AM, jaysalmn said:

I'm sorry, but I just can't continue. It makes me almost nauseous that after what happened, they are all "oh, I love you so much". Maybe I'm the only gay man who believes this, but if I'm not enough for my partner, he can go fuck himself. I'm also NOT sharing my man with anyone, male of female. I've always felt this way, so their just being teenagers is BS. Oh well, better to get turned off the story now rather than 20 chapters in. Best wishes on the rest of the story.

Sorry to see you go.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great chapter. I really liked the interaction between Brian and Jeff. Brians lost puppy thoughts and the concern for Jeffs feelings was so special, only to be outdone by Jeffs understanding and urging of Brian to yalk to Annie and to be sure to not hurt her. No matter how it seemd, that is genuine careing and love for everyone involved. The description of the fields and views of farmland in the moonlight were spot on... been there seen that and it is very serene. As for the police segment, worrying at best. I would have been scared spitless if I had a trunk full of pot and a state trooper looking in my window. Definately not good :). I am glad that Brian, Jeff and Annie are on the same page for now. It is also very heart warming that the others that know the truth are very suportive of the guys. Keep em coming so we can read and enjoy life through your characters. Great Work Geron :hug: .

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 01/14/2017 08:38 PM, wenmale64 said:

Great chapter. I really liked the interaction between Brian and Jeff. Brians lost puppy thoughts and the concern for Jeffs feelings was so special, only to be outdone by Jeffs understanding and urging of Brian to yalk to Annie and to be sure to not hurt her. No matter how it seemd, that is genuine careing and love for everyone involved. The description of the fields and views of farmland in the moonlight were spot on... been there seen that and it is very serene. As for the police segment, worrying at best. I would have been scared spitless if I had a trunk full of pot and a state trooper looking in my window. Definately not good :). I am glad that Brian, Jeff and Annie are on the same page for now. It is also very heart warming that the others that know the truth are very suportive of the guys. Keep em coming so we can read and enjoy life through your characters. Great Work Geron :hug: .

Thanks for the warm thoughts!

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I've just caught up reading the last three chapters. They were all good.

 

That really was a great party, I only wish I could have been there for the boy meets boy meets girl sex in the corn field. But then again, I was!

 

The way you write it just paints such a vivid picture. It's so well crafted, with great descriptive lines and little insights.

 

I actually think this would make a great film.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 01/16/2017 04:13 AM, William King said:

I've just caught up reading the last three chapters. They were all good.

 

That really was a great party, I only wish I could have been there for the boy meets boy meets girl sex in the corn field. But then again, I was!

 

The way you write it just paints such a vivid picture. It's so well crafted, with great descriptive lines and little insights.

 

I actually think this would make a great film.

If you are offering to buy the film rights...? :)

 

Thank you for the moral support. Always nice to get a good review from a writer whose work I enjoy and respect. Most people are concerned with the story itself, so it's nice to also get feedback on the mechanics of its presentation.

 

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself. Now...about those film rights... :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

So, when having sex on a field they are teenagers, but when talking about it later, they are more clear-headed and mature than most people I've ever met, of any age? Seems a bit too convenient.

For example, I'm having a bit of a hard time buying how Jeff just brushed it off with hardly a second thought. I'm not saying it's impossible for him to get to that conclusion, but I think it should have taken some time at least—with a bit of drama in the meantime.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

There’s nothing wrong with experimenting and as long as everyone is ok with it and the whole threesome thing didn’t bother me personally when reading this as I know they were all open to it happening. What I’m concerned about is the emotions involved. Generally in threesomes and even open relationships it’s typical that you lack an emotional connection with the third party when you’re in a relationship with someone you love. Yet in this story Annie seems to be in love with Brian and kinda seems to want to fool around when Jeff isn’t present at the end of this chapter which I’m not certain is an invite Brian can resist. Also thinking back to the conversation between Brian & Jeff I had inferred Jeff was mainly open to it continuing because he didn’t want Annie hurt though when she seemed happy to stop at a one time deal Brian let her know he wanted to continue this new relationship plus he seems to have strong emotions for her beyond friendship. Despite their ages as well as sexual curosity I expected a tiny bit of jealousy from Jeff when Brian told him he’d be interesting in having sex with Annie again and if they do start seeing each other separately Jeff may get jealous. I honestly just find it weird that despite their love Jeff has shown no signs of jealousy which could mean he’s just confident in their relationship though I wonder if the reverse was happening how Brian would react. This is going to test their relationship at some point as to me the emotional connection is more troubling than sex as Jeff may get jealous of how close Brian & Annie are.

Edited by NimirRaj
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, NimirRaj said:

There’s nothing wrong with experimenting and as long as everyone is ok with it and the whole threesome thing didn’t bother me personally when reading this as I know they were all open to it happening. What I’m concerned about is the emotions involved. Generally in threesomes and even open relationships it’s typical that you lack an emotional connection with the third party when you’re in a relationship with someone you love. Yet in this story Annie seems to be in love with Brian and kinda seems to want to fool around when Jeff isn’t present at the end of this chapter which I’m not certain is an invite Brian can resist. Also thinking back to the conversation between Brian & Jeff I had inferred Jeff was mainly open to it continuing because he didn’t want Annie hurt though when she seemed happy to stop at a one time deal Brian let her know he wanted to continue this new relationship plus he seems to have strong emotions for her beyond friendship. Despite their ages as well as sexual curosity I expected a tiny bit of jealousy from Jeff when Brian told him he’d be interesting in having sex with Annie again and if they do start seeing each other separately Jeff may get jealous. I honestly just find it weird that despite their love Jeff has shown no signs of jealousy which could mean he’s just confident in their relationship though I wonder if the reverse was happening how Brian would react. This is going to test their relationship at some point as to me the emotional connection is more troubling than sex as Jeff may get jealous of how close Brian & Annie are.

 

Kind of a shame you read this one first. It does describe an odd relationship, and you are not the first to say so. But this is also not my standard, which tends to a single, solid relationship between two, and only two. This story is based on people I knew in real life in my teens, and the somewhat crazy aspects of these relationships actually happened. So I am kind of reporting on events they way they were, less than on trying to make up a strange relationship. What can I say, except that truth really can be stranger than fiction?

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Geron Kees said:

 

Kind of a shame you read this one first. It does describe an odd relationship, and you are not the first to say so. But this is also not my standard, which tends to a single, solid relationship between two, and only two. This story is based on people I knew in real life in my teens, and the somewhat crazy aspects of these relationships actually happened. So I am kind of reporting on events they way they were, less than on trying to make up a strange relationship. What can I say, except that truth really can be stranger than fiction?

 

 

It may be odd but in reality relationships aren’t always solid through the entire relationship as many hit bumps in the road. In the end it sounds like a plausible situation as odd is in the eye of the beholder. It’s great that you’re using real life experiences to inspire your work. I prefer long stories though I do need to check out some of your other work.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Haha. MOST of my stuff is long. The other tales are just not broken into chapters. You'll see, if you look! 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
56 minutes ago, Geron Kees said:

Haha. MOST of my stuff is long. The other tales are just not broken into chapters. You'll see, if you look! 

I’ll definitely take a look. Thanks for the suggestion as I’m sure I’ll enjoy reading your other stories.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I think that the reactions to the police drive-by was very telling. None of us has experienced DWB (Driving While Black or Brown). Since my ancestry is very pale Northeast Asian, and because I dress like the suburban kid I was, police don't see me as a particular threat. I don't drink or do drugs, so when I was stopped for driving way too fast, they only needed to do very quick ‘follow my finger with your eyes’ and ‘touch your nose’ tests to realize I wasn't impaired. I got lucky and was only ticketed for driving 70 in a 55mph zone – but I was threatened with the full 102 if I tried challenging the ticket.

 

But some of my friends have to worry every time they get stopped. Police are much more likely to be trigger-happy when the driver is Black or Brown. Black and Brown drivers are much more likely to be ticketed for offenses that white drivers are given warnings about. There have been plenty of videos showing police overreaction. Racism is still alive and thriving in the US in 2018.

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I think that the reactions to the police drive-by us very telling. None of us has experienced DWB (Driving While Black or Brown). Since my ancestry is very pale Northeast Asian, and because I dress like the suburban kid I was, police don't see me as a particular threat. I don't drink or do drugs, so when I was stopped for driving way too fast, they only needed to do very quick ‘follow my finger with your eyes’ and ‘touch your nose’ tests to realize I wasn't impaired. I got lucky and was only ticketed for driving 70 in a 55mph zone – but I was threatened with the full 102 if I tried challenging the ticket.

 

But some of my friends have to worry every time they get stopped. Police are much more likely to be trigger-happy when the driver is Black or Brown. Black and Brown drivers are much more likely to be ticketed for offenses that white drivers are given warnings about. There have been plenty of videos showing police overreaction. Racism is still alive and thriving in the US in 2018.

 

No question there. But I didn't know much about these things back in 1984. I had friends of every description, but I just did not know that things could be very different for some of them. I also lived in the sticks - an area without a lot of cops. Most of our experiences with them were mild. The county deputies were laid back in the extreme. The State Boys we were wary of, but you only saw them very seldom. That was why that drive by was so nerve wracking for the guys in the story. 

 

And, for real, people were just not afraid of cops much back then. The feeling that one might shoot you for no reason was outlandish. Not like today, where it can happen in the blink of an eye, to anyone, of any background.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Geron Kees said:

And, for real, people were just not afraid of cops much back then. The feeling that one might shoot you for no reason was outlandish. Not like today, where it can happen in the blink of an eye, to anyone, of any background.

My impression is that some people were victimized just as much then as now. Most of us weren’t aware of what was happening because it wasn’t as well publicized. No cellphones, so no cellphone cameras. Video cameras were extremely expensive and bulky. Film for 8mm and Super 8 movie cameras was expensive and people only had them around for special occasions (like holidays and birthdays). Even film cameras weren’t typically carried around every day by most people.  ;–)

 

There was no social media to spread news widely and quickly. Mainstream newspapers generally didn’t report on these sorts of stories. So only the family and the community around them would know what happened. Few people would have been able to connect the dots and see the patterns – and they would have had reasons to suppress their findings.

 

I think the difference is more in awareness than in reality. If anything, the chances of being shot by police has decreased due to the awareness and scrutiny. Besides, there have long been stories about crooked rural sheriffs and small-town police departments.

Link to comment

I think the police of every modern era have been much the same. What has changed, as you have pointed out, is the level of scrutiny they operate under today, and the level of awareness among the population that things happen that need to be addressed. In the eighties, we simply did not know any of the things people know today, and so we had little fear of the police. And, for the most part, the police had no reason to fear of the average citizen. Guns, especially, were not common among teens at all.

 

Fear is one of the problems today, on both sides. People know enough now to fear the police, which can lead them into stupid or irrational acts, and the police fear this sort of confrontation, which can cause them to act first - and wrongly. We have a dangerous situation going on in this country, both due to this fear on both sides, and because there is not enough responsibility and accountability built into the system. People that feel they will not get treated with fairness and justice by the law will only become harder to deal with in the long run. Our police today already traipse about in battle armor and carry military-grade weapons. Where do we go from there?

  • Love 3
Link to comment

What seems to work is setting up beat cops that regularly patrol the same area. Someone who has an incentive to get to know the people who live in that beat. When people get to meet each other one-on-one, the distrust dissipates, if only slightly at first. The cop becomes a person rather than just an ogre in a police car. The residents become people rather than just a bunch of suspects out to hurt the cops. Maybe people can become friends.  ;–)

 

The police department in my town switched to beats and lists the officers and commanders for each beat on the city’s website. They list email addresses too. My city also pays gang members to stay out of trouble – it’s controversial, but seems to be working.  ;–)

 

Our Chief of Police has managed to bring down a murder rate that was once one of the worst in the country. He has rejected offers of military hardware. Community policing seems to work. Getting out of patrol cars and actually walking on the streets. It can be done.  ;–)

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

What seems to work is setting up beat cops that regularly patrol the same area. Someone who has an incentive to get to know the people who live in that beat. When people get to meet each other one-on-one, the distrust dissipates, if only slightly at first. The cop becomes a person rather than just an ogre in a police car. The residents become people rather than just a bunch of suspects out to hurt the cops. Maybe people can become friends.  ;–)

 

The police department in my town switched to beats and lists the officers and commanders for each beat on the city’s website. They list email addresses too. My city also pays gang members to stay out of trouble – it’s controversial, but seems to be working.  ;–)

 

Our Chief of Police has managed to bring down a murder rate that was once one of the worst in the country. He has rejected offers of military hardware. Community policing seems to work. Getting out of patrol cars and actually walking on the streets. It can be done.  ;–)

 

I've heard about this type of plan working in other areas, too. I have to agree that knowing someone tends to demystify them, and therefore to drop the level of wariness one feels towards them. That works both ways. 

 

I know the beat deputy in my area, though he doesn't walk a beat, he drives one. When he passes through, he waves, and sometimes even stops and talks to people. I know his name, and he knows mine. I live in a zero crime area - just a long street of widely-separated homes in the woods, not close to much of anything. The last thing that was stolen around here were acorns off the trees, and it was a gang of squirrels that were the culprits! 

 

That said, I lived in Manhattan for six years back in the nineties, and was more familiar with city life and crime. I didn't know a single cop by name there - they were just faces behind windshields. And the only hand motions I ever saw them give were not friendly waves.

 

I much prefer what I have now. Security is one of those intangible things built on a collection of ideas and perceptions, and I can only say that the ideas and perceptions I have about life where I live now are far more comfortable than the ones I had while living in the city. Where you live with police also matters. Cities are trouble spots, simply because there are so many ideas and perceptions in so small an area, and so many of them are at war with others. The police need to be as comfortable with us as we wish to be with them. Only that way can we both survive the encounter with anything like fairness.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Where I live is a series of compromises. On the one hand, it’s expensive and it’s a relatively high crime area. On the other hand, I am relatively close to everything due to nearby transit and the weather is the finest in the country. I am able to attend Frameline film festival every year without needing to stay in a motel or hotel. I am able to travel by train to relatives for holiday gatherings.  ;–)

 

I could not live out in the country. I grew up in suburbs and appreciate the benefits of the nearby big cities. I live in a city with an Out Lesbian City Councilperson and my city proudly flew the Rainbow Flag in June. Many of the nearby cities also fly the Rainbow Flag for LGBTQ Pride Month. Quite a few of them also have LGBTQ Councilpeople too. I live in a state that offers some of the best and most comprehensive protections for LGBTQs in the country.  ;–)

 

I’m glad it works for you, but there are benefits available in large metropolitan areas that just aren’t there in rural areas.  ;–)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..