Jump to content
    hh5
  • Author
  • 1,718 Words
  • 2,026 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Kenny and Peter - Book 1 - 12. Chapter 12

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. Any similarities to persons living, dead, space aliens, goats, or others are purely coincidental. There may be sexual content so if this, in any form, offends you, please cease reading. Also, if you are not of legal age to read this, please don't.

Copyright © 2009 by hh5

Kenny and Peter

By HH5

Chapter 12

 

Kenny

The boys were laughing their heads off about how stupid the GPS was at giving directions. I told them that I usually ignored it until I was well past the point where I needed directions. They thought that was even funnier. I think they thought that the GPS should have adapted to my needs. They had gotten bored with the Nintendo and iPod, and started bantering, pretending to be the GPS and giving stupid directions. One would pretend to be lost; the other would act send him crashing into buildings or other cars. They were having a grand time. Mary and I smiled and laughed with them. Whatever worked: before they noticed, we arrived at Robbie’s house.

I stepped out of the car, stretched my shoulder muscles, and looked at what had been my parents’ house. I smiled, remembering all fun times Robbie and I had as kids. It was the house where I grew up, but it was a different house. Still, it was where home use to be. I hardly had time to think this before I saw Robbie coming out of the house.

I exclaimed, “Hi Robbie!”

“Hey, Little Bro … How was the ride over?”

“Oh, just fine, a little hectic with the holiday traffic … Robbie, this is Peter, my foster son. This is Mary and her son Brian.”

“Well, hello there. I’m Robbie…” Robbie called for Little Mary to come over. “And this is Maria.”

Little Mary frowned. Robbie grinned, and then gave in. “She likes to be called Little Mary. I can’t figure out why she doesn’t like her proper name. Oh, Mary, perhaps I can call you Maria – I don’t want to confuse Little Mary.” He chuckled.

Peter smiled. “Hi, Robbie … Hi, Little Mary.” Peter looked at Robbie and then pointed to the swing set. ”Can we go play on that?”

“Sure, go ahead … Kenny, Mary, let’s sit on the bench, there, and talk while they play.” Robbie gestured as he spoke, and we followed the children.

“Aren’t they cute,” Mary said.

“They sure are … Hey, how old is Peter?” Robbie asked.

“He’s nine … why?”

“Maria’s almost 4 … they’re just like you and me Bro! Five years apart! Isn’t that interesting?”

“You mean, it’s like we are watching ourselves when we were little?” I asked.

Robbie didn’t answer me, but asked Mary, “How old is Brian?”

“He’s ten.”

“Look at Peter. He’s like an older brother to Little Mary and they’re getting along fine,” Robbie said.

“Maybe like two older brothers,” I suggested.

“Oh, yeah, you’re right … this is really interesting … I was worried at first that the three of them might not get along.”

“Remember all those times we spent together?” I asked.

“I sure do,” Robbie said. “Hey, do you think you can bring Peter up more often? Especially, when my wife is away on a business trip?”

“I can sure try,” I said. “You do have a Y around here, don’t you?”

“Yes we do … it’s only a mile away from here. Why?”

“I’m getting myself and Peter into swimming and stuff … It been good for him and me, too. I’ve let myself get out of shape … Hmmm, looks like you could use some time in the gym, too.”

“Want to go this afternoon? Give mom a rest for a while?” Robbie asked.

“Sure that would be great … I’m glad I packed our swim suits – just in case.”

 

Robbie

“Hey kids … Lets go in the house … We’re freezing out here,” I said.

“Look at them go … They’re so eager to please; we don’t have to do much,” Mary said.

“Mom! They’re here!” I called as we entered the back door.

“Hello, I’m Sarah, and who is this?”

“This is Mary and her son Brian.”

“Well, hello.”

“Uh, Mom, can you take care of the children and Mary for a few minutes? I’d like to chat with my brother for a while.” I asked.

“Sure, Robbie … Please, Mary, let’s go to the kitchen and see about feeding this crowd!”

“Let’s go to the home-office and catch up, Kenny,” I invited. When Kenny and I got to the office, I went to a little refrigerator and broke out two beers. I threw one to Kenny, and we sat on the couch to talk.

 

Kenny

I went first and explained what happen since I left home. Of course, I went into a more detailed account than I did with Mom, since Robbie and Gary and I had been good buddies, and since Robbie was so much more than just my older brother.

“Gary left me, Robbie.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry bro.”

“He started changing in the last several months. I had been blind to the change. With working in the ER and doing paramedic duties – I wasn’t around to know he was dating a woman. The night before the party, all of Gary’s things were gone from the apartment. At the party, Gary and I spoke privately and he dumped me!!

“He said that there were rumors that people were wondering why we were always together. He couldn’t deal with the suspicions and gossip he was hearing. He was afraid of being outed. He told me that he met this woman and they decided to get married. He said she was pregnant and expected their child in a couple of months.

“He told that I should get my own woman, too, and get married to squelch the rumors. I couldn’t believe my ears. I got irrational. I kept telling Gary, please don’t leave me. I’ll die without you. We can run away. Buy new identities. Get new jobs. She’ll never find us. Gary got real angry.

“He punched me in the gut, turned off the lights and left. I sat in the dark in pain. Crying and waiting for the pain to die.

Robbie consoled me.

“I couldn’t stay at the party. I was hurting very bad. After all these years, what we had been through from junior high to college to work, what we did for him … It was all gone. So, I left.”

“I decided to take the long way home. I needed the fresh air of the dark night to clam me down. I took that back road - down below the truck rest stop. My mind started flashing back to all the things that Gary had said to me. I was crying and upset. Suddenly, something rolled onto the road from the truck rest stop. I had to swerve and break suddenly so not to hit the object in my path. I got out and looked to see what it was. It turned out to be a little boy; it was Peter.”

“Bro!,” Robbie said. “Aren’t you glad I taught you how to brake in an emergency before you left for college?”

“Yeah … I remember a lot of things you taught me. They have helped me, and helped Peter.”

There was knock on the door. It was Little Mary.“Daddy … Uncle Kenny … It’s time for lunch!! … Grandma says you better come before it’s all gone.” I smiled.“Gone where?” She smiles.“Gone! … here!!!” She pointed to her tummy. We all laughed. Robbie picked up Little Mary and we headed toward the kitchen. We all gathered at the kitchen table to each lunch. Mom made a nice, easy lunch. Something the kids wouldn’t be too fussy about.

Suddenly I heard someone choking. It was Little Mary. Mom screamed. Mary was caught by surprise. I went to Little Mary’s chair, lifted her up, and stood her on the floor. I can do this, I thought, but she’s so small. It’s risky. Wait, here’s the solution. I gestured to Peter to come stand behind her. I held his hands, and placed them over her abdomen. “Hold them this way,” I showed him, “and push, like this.” It took only two or three tries before a half-eaten bite of hot dog popped out of Little Mary’s mouth. I checked Little Mary, and determined that she was okay. She ran to Robbie. I patted Peter on back and told him he had done a good job. Robbie consoled Little Mary while Peter hugged me and thanked me for teaching him. Robbie urged Little Mary to say “Thank you” and she went to Peter and hugged him. Peter was caught by surprise and then hugged back. I smiled. I was proud of Peter.

Mary asked, “Why didn’t you do it yourself?”

I explained. “It’s sometimes too easy for an adult to harm a small child. It was actually safer for Peter or Brian or another child to do it without risking injury. Fortunately, there was enough time to show Peter what to do. If we were in a restaurant, I wouldn’t have done that, because we’d likely have lost valuable time because of distractions. I would have been forced to act differently, even though the risk to harming a child would have been greater. An important part of what I do is assessing risk, and acting on that assessment.”

“Bro! That was amazing! And it was an amazing thing you taught Peter to do. Thank you! My wife would have killed me if anything were to happen to Little Mary.” Robbie said. He looked at me, and then added, “Except that I would have died, first.”

“Now are you happy you didn’t trade me in for a puppy?” I asked. Robbie looked abashed. “Gotcha!” , I said. “Don’t look so glum, Robbie. I’ll teach you, too. And, I’ll go over some safety tips on child care.” I patted Robbie on his shoulder, looked him in the eye, and smiled. “Everything is okay, Robbie.”

Everyone was so very proud of me. But, heck, as far as I was concerned, it’s just what I do.

# I like to thank David McLeod for his help in bringing out the best of this story.
# This story will be ending in a couple of chapters. I think this will be considered Book 1.
# Due to my unemployment for several months its been hard on me to try to keep up with the story without guilt to hunt. I'm not sure when I will be releasing Book 2.
# Book 2 is in the planning stages.
Copyright © 2010 hh5; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..