Jump to content
    hh5
  • Author
  • 1,715 Words
  • 2,100 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Kenny and Peter - Book 1 - 14. Chapter 14

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. Any similarities to persons living, dead, space aliens, goats, or others are purely coincidental. There may be sexual content so if this, in any form, offends you, please cease reading. Also, if you are not of legal age to read this, please don't.

Copyright © 2009 by hh5

Kenny and Peter

By HH5

Chapter 14

 

Mrs. Dawson

Sarah went outside to the porch, “Hey guys, dinner’s ready in 20 minutes – Better get cleaned up!”

Peter and Brian both exclaimed,”Aw we were just starting to have fun …” I saw their expressions of disappointment from inside the living room window. Little Mary saw the opportunity to snatch the football from the boys. She made a run for it and Robbie encourages her playfully to make the touchdown. I thought it was real cute and funny. Kenny went and spoke to the boys after Little Mary made her move. I was quite impressed with him; he handled the situation nicely. He encouraged them to give Little Mary a victory march into the house. I could hear them all cheering like if they were one big happy family.

Everyone came in and went to take quick showers. Peter was the first to reappear in the living room. I called him over for a quick chat.

“Hello Peter. It’s nice to see you again. How are you and Kenny getting along?”

“We’re fine. Kenny has been taking real good care of me.” Peter said. Then, he added,“I just hope I’m not too much trouble.”

“I’m glad to hear that. And I’m sure you’re not any trouble at all. I’m sure that you’re Kenny’s bundle of joy.” I paused to notice Peter silently repeating my last couple of words. I smiled and continued. ”I’ve talked to Bob, Mary, and Susan – They are all very happy about the way you handled yourself this week.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Dawson”

“They also told me that Kenny has been a real good father to you and a good friend.”

Peter smiled, “Yes, I like Kenny a lot.” (I’m glad everyone is on the same page)

“How did you feel about the package from your parents? You seemed upset.”

Peter’s smile faded; he wasn’t pleased with this question, but he answered. “I only took my blanket. Kenny gives me everything I need.” I nodded. (I understand your feelings.)

“How do you feel about your parent’s letter?” (I wonder if you love them.)

Peter furrowed his brow. “I think they miss me. But that’s about all. I miss momma but that’s about all.” (I’m sorry they’re un-loving and abusive.)

“Thank you, Peter for talking to me, and for being truthful with me.” Peter gave me a hug. I smiled. (This is the best part of the job; seeing a happy child.) “Come on; let’s go join everyone for dinner.” Peter nodded and followed me into the dining room.

Dinner was quite lovely. Sarah made an excellent meal. Even the children seemed to like it, and no one complained. We talked about, oh, many things. Everyone, even Peter, seemed relaxed and happy. I hadn’t seen Sarah very often since her husband died, and it was good to see her, again. And, with Peter around to provide a link between us—and an excuse—I expected to see my friend much more often. With that thought in mind, I thanked Sarah for her hospitality, and made my farewells. It was getting a bit late for me.

 

Peter

We all helped clear the table, but Kenny’s mother shooed us out of the kitchen into the living room. Robbie had found a neat movie called “Charlotte’s Web.” It was really funny. All the animals were singing. Little Mary loved it. She was all curled up with my blanket, but I didn’t mind. I was happy, too.

After the movie, Brian and Robbie started horsing around. It was funny. Then, Robbie started horsing around with Kenny. I laughed so hard! I could tell that they really loved each other. My brothers used to horse around, but they always ended up fighting. I’d cry, then, and go run and hide. Papa would come down and punish all of us, even me. But here it was nice. We all got along and we loved each other.

I got sleepy, so Kenny picked me up and told everyone good night. He took me to bed and we slept together. He made me feel safe and sound. I soon fell asleep in his arms.

 

Kenny

I woke up early the next morning. Peter was still sleeping soundly, so I decided to go for a walk. I needed some fresh air—and some time alone—to clear my mind. The past two weeks had been full. And, I was still upset by the bomb that Gary had dropped on me. Even with Peter, I was pretty lonely. I let out a loud sigh of despair. A sound nobody would hear but me.

Was I destined to live a lonely, horrible life? Was I a mistake like Peter’s parents seemed to think he was? Why had I been chosen to bear witness to the plight of Peter, one of God’s creations? Don’t get me wrong; Peter coming into my life has been pretty incredible. But, still, all of yesterday’s revelations about his family … learning more about Peter’s position in life … all that hit home - right into my heart, piercing my soul’s armor.

Creating the social conscience of a child is the responsibility of the parent; they must set an example of how to aspire in life, rather than to abuse or damage a child beyond recognition—or redemption. To be poor in a middle class family or to be middle class in a poor family is a grey area that no child should experience.

Are we more alike than I realize? Or, are we more different than I can comprehend? Was it God’s plan to bring him here to me? If so, why on earth me? The fact is, we came from different paths in life. Like two objects colliding, a choice was made. A choice was made to spare two lives from imminent destruction. We were brought together in some form of sharing or co-existence, but for how long and why? Was it only to be separated and sent off in our independent trajectories in life?

I have no idea where my life will end up, what I will become. And Peter, where would have he ended up? Two lives changed forever by a simply choice of two possibilities; to meet or never to have met. Well, all I can dare say is that because we have met, we have made a choice to alter our destinations.

Another fact, somehow, we both made a choice to collide. We both felt that our lives had to be altered. But only God knows this, once we made our own decisions.

But how is that fair. I’m an adult and Peter is a child. Isn’t there an age of choice defined by God? Why did he let a child like Peter make a decision to change his life? Am I the one to help him in his decision? Am I the one that God has faith in to carry out his plan? And, more important, is what’s happening to us the result of his light or his wraith?

*****

“Daddy!!! Where have you been?” Peter rushed to meet me the instant I came in the front door. ”Brian saw you leave!!!” He was crying. ”Did I do something wrong? I’m so sorry.” I think he was worried that I had left him; perhaps, somehow, he sensed that I might have decided something … something that made him feel great fear and sorrow.

After all that thinking during my walk, it boils down to this: all I know is that Peter needs me and I need him. We are both un-loved. But, perhaps, together we can change that.

I picked up Peter and smiled. I told him I only went for a walk to let God listen to my thoughts, my hopes, and my desires. I kissed him and told him that I loved him. I told him he shouldn’t fear life.

As long as we are together, we are one. … As father and son!!

 

Mrs. Jenkins

After Kenny came back, we went out for breakfast. The town is about the same size as ours but very much laid back. Robbie knew most of the people passing by, and greeted them as he gave us what he called the “five cent tour.” The tour took us down the main street, where we admired the holiday decorations.

As we approached the Diner, a family of four came out of the door. They jumped right into a heated argument right in front of the main entrance.

Peter had run a little ahead, and was close enough to hear what was being said, and to sense the anger. He cringed, and then seemed to freeze as if he were locked in time, forced to witness something for the rest of eternity. Before we could get there, the husband and wife escalated their argument from a shouting match to physical mayhem!

Peter stood stock still, in the parking lot only a few feet from the door. He did not see the car that approached. Nor, apparently, did the driver see him. I screamed, just as Kenny and Robbie ran toward Peter. Sarah picked up little Mary and averted the little girl’s head, shielding her from what was about to happen. I held fast to Brian’s hand, to keep him from rushing into danger.

Robbie caught the driver’s attention. The driver slammed his breaks. We all heard the car screeching in the icy parking lot. Kenny caught Peter just in time, preventing him being hit, or from falling and hitting his head on the pavement.

The car stopped with its bumper barely an inch from Kenny and Peter. Both had fallen. Or been knocked to the ground, it was hard to tell. Someone in the diner must have seen, and called emergency services, for it was only moments later that an ambulance and the police arrived.

Copyright © 2010 hh5; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..