Jump to content
    hh5
  • Author
  • 1,867 Words
  • 2,648 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Kenny and Peter - Book 1 - 4. Chapter 4

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. Any similarities to persons living, dead, space aliens, goats, or others are purely coincidental. There may be sexual content so if this, in any form, offends you, please cease reading. Also, if you are not of legal age to read this, please don't.

Copyright © 2008 by hh5

Kenny and Peter

By HH5

Chapter 04

 

Kenny

I checked on Peter and noticed that he was still deeply asleep in Gary’s bed. I started to smile when an endearing thought came to my mind, Gosh this kid is so cute but he can sure scream my ears off. I had to shake the sting of his screams out of my ears and my eyes; it was so nerve raking that my eyes suddenly went eyes cross-eyed. If Gary were here I would be saying “Don’t laugh till you experience it yourself.” A few tears came out of my eyes on my last lingering thought. Oh, Gary, what did I do wrong … with us?

I decided to call mom because I seemed to be becoming attached to Peter and I have a growing concern for his welfare. My other excuse is that I haven’t called mom in a long while and I am sure she is pissed at me for that. I thought that maybe telling her about Peter would deflect her anger.

Mom picked up on the first ring of my call, “Hi, Mom … How are you? … Do you have a moment for a quick question? … Thanks, mom … I found this very small kid last night and I think he’s been abused …”

My mom – but its Sarah to everyone but her children – said, “Well, Kenny … is there any evidence and did you call the authorities?”

I responded, “Not yet … I just got the kid calmed down. He’s asleep in Gary’s old room” Oops, shit, I shouldn’t have said “Gary’s old room” – I let the cat out of the bag, double shit. I decided to cover my mistake,”… I was thinking that I will take him later to hospital and have the pediatrician checked him out …” But then, I started panic for some sentimental reason, “Mom, Did I really worry you and dad and Robbie when I was that age? … If so, I’m really sorry about that …” Sarah immediately sensed my emerging concern.

She took a moment to reflect and spoke, “Kenny dear … Parents always worries about their children … And I am also very proud that Robbie has shown so much concern for you. It shows that he loves you, very much. We were worried, at first, that Robbie would accept a little brother. But as soon as you were born, he showed that he wanted to help, and to share responsibility for raising you. So, we taught him how to hold you, care for you, feed you, and even change you. You should be proud and happy that your older brother has been such a large part of your life.

There wear tears flowing out of my eyes when Mom said something so nice about Robbie, “Thanks, mom … I was concerned about myself after coming to this boy’s rescue … I guess … I panicked … I am so relieved and thankful for you, dad, and of course, Robbie … I will call him later in the week to thank him so much, mom … Yes, I will remember to call the authorities … Talk to you soon … Love you too … bye”

Two hours later the kid awakens and comes out of Gary’s bedroom to find me reading the morning paper. The kid said, “Hi!” I looked up.

I responded, “Hello sleepy head, you sleep ok??” The kid nodded.

The kid spoke, “Yes, sir … I’m so sorry I didn’t tell you my name. It’s Peter. I’m 9 years old.”

I responded with a smile, “Well, I please to meet you Peter. Who taught you to be so polite?”

Peter picked up on my demeanor and replied, “My mom. She’s always stickler about manners.”

I asked, “Has she’s been good to you?” Peter nodded.

I noticed Peter holding his stomach, “Well, Peter, are you hungry?” and I made a rubbing motion on my stomach to confirm that he is hungry.

“Starving” Peter giggled at my attempt at humor and then grinned.

I said, “Well, ok, please go sit in the kitchen ... I have some food waiting for you … I’ll go warm it up for you.” Peter climbed up on the chair and drank his milk while waiting for the food.

I watched Peter eat. He was surely hungry. What I didn’t know was that Peter had not eaten since lunch time of the previous day.

I asked, “You still hungry?” Peter gave a big burp!!! I reacted, “Well I suppose not.” We both laughed.

“Come on to the living room”, I said,” and let’s have a talk.”

“Can I sit on your lap?” Peter asked.

I responded, “Well, as long as you don’t crush my crown jewels”.

Peter furrowed his eyebrows with a puzzled look, “Are they valuable?”

I laughed at his reply and smiled, “Gosh he cute. I think one day someone is going to be lucky to love him“.

I ask Peter the burning question,“Now we’re going take this slow ok. Tell me what happened; what made you run away from home?”

Peter flinched as if I hit his sore thumb, “Don’t cry. I’m sorry. I am here to help you.”

Peter started to cry. Despite my reassurances, they weren’t strong enough stop the dam full of tears bursting from his eyes. I, then, saw a kind of flicker in his left eye. My EMS training rushed to the front of my mind. Gosh, he has a concussion. That explains the weird things I noticed.

I hugged Peter and told him he’s okay and to not worry and that we would talk later.

I took Peter to the hospital. Since I worked there, it was easy for me to request for an on duty pediatrician and Child Protection Services liaison to respond.

While I waited, Peter was being examined. CPS responded to the call and sent over their liaison to take over the case. I was in luck; the liaison was an old friend, Mrs. Darwin.

Mrs. Darwin greeted me, “Hello, Kenny, it is nice to see you again. How is your mother?”

I smiled and replied, “Thanks … It’s been a long time, Mrs. Darwin … Oh she is doing fine … Thanks for asking. … I found this child late last night and brought him in this morning as soon as I discover evidence of abuse. He definitely has a concussion and he’s very timid. Dr Peterson is still examining him. I’m very much concerned about this kid. He seems awfully small for his age and I suspect much more trauma than we are seeing, now. “

Dr Peterson came in and joined our discussion. He reported that there was evidence of a concussion within the last 24 hours. He has also found a number of old, healed, fractures. He told us that the locations of those fractures were not consistent with normal childhood accidents. Mrs. Darwin asked Dr Peterson if she might interview the boy. Dr Peterson agreed. He gave her the examination documents and took her to the examination room.

Mrs. Darwin came out after only five minutes. “He won’t talk to me; he screams and hides under the examination table. Kenny? Would you try to talk to him? Perhaps if you were in the room…” She left the rest of the sentence unsaid.

I was able to calm Peter enough that Mrs. Darwin could ask her questions. His answers confirmed what Dr. Peterson’s examination had shown. Afterwards, Mrs. Darwin asked me if I would accept temporary custody of the boy. “Kenny,” she said. “You’re the only one with whom he seems comfortable. I could drag him to juvenile hall—and I suspect he’d be screaming all the way—but that’s not the best place for any kid, especially one as traumatized as this one. He’s bonded with you, he trusts you. Would you? Please?”

I had to think for a minute. I always wanted a family, but I didn’t want to get married just to have kids. Gary had married, and left, I was very much alone. But, now, I get this opportunity of a life time, to raise this child, if only for a little while, to protect him, to nurture him, and to love him that could be a wonderful experience. On the other hand, could I put aside my own hurt, my own personal crisis and give Peter the attention he needed?

Finally, I accepted.

When Peter and I got home, I called mom and told her what had happened, and asked her to come down to visit and meet Peter. She said that she could drop by for a little while. That made me so happy. I had been so busy with my own life that I had pushed her out; I was glad to have my mom help me with Peter.

 

Mrs. Dawson

I was extremely annoyed by Peter’s father tone of voice on the phone; I couldn’t believe that he was the father of such frail and fragile child. I was glad that God had placed Peter in our hands. He definitely needs a good home away from this ass. “Well ... I am sorry you feel that way … but Peter has been place with a Foster Parent.”

How I wish he didn’t threaten that legal shit, “… I do not suggest that you do not take that route – you could very well hurt Peter badly in the process and you could lose your son by your actions”

I had to remain firm on our state policies to keep him from mucking the system, “… Until such time as Peter has made progress, he will remain in the foster parent’s custody – I will be making regular and irregular visits to monitor his progress.”

I can hear Peter’s mother concerns, she sounds like a reasonable person than her husband, “Yes … you can communicate by letter or by care package to this office and I will make sure that Peter will receive what you send. He will be allowed to write letters to you through this office to you”

Good, finally I get to talk to his mother than that bastard of a father, “Hello, so you’re Peter’s mother ... I am so glad to be able to talk to you. … Oh, yes, yes, he’s being well taken care of … I will make sure I communicate your regards and concerns to Peter and to the foster Parent. Thank you and Have a good day …”

After I hung up the phone, I thought, Gosh, I am worried about this poor boy. I promise to make a special prayer for him tonight at church. Please god; help us all in our struggles and most of all … Please help Peter.

Copyright © 2010 hh5; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..