Jump to content
    hh5
  • Author
  • 2,477 Words
  • 1,664 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Kenny and Peter - Book 1 - 13. Chapter 13

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. Any similarities to persons living, dead, space aliens, goats, or others are purely coincidental. There may be sexual content so if this, in any form, offends you, please cease reading. Also, if you are not of legal age to read this, please don't.

Copyright © 2009 by hh5

Kenny and Peter

By HH5

Chapter 13

 

Kenny

Robbie and I decided to let Mom and Mary have some quiet time together. You know women talk. We took the kids to go have some fun swimming at the Y. We caught part of a swimming meet going on. We all sat and watch it. Peter and Brian watched very seriously.

“Hey bro,” Robbie asked. “You think those two will take up swimming as a sport?”

“I dunno. I think they like the team’s outfits.” (Hmm I think my GayDar is working today.)

Robbie chuckled. “Very funny bro … very funny” I smirked. (What!! You don’t have GayDar? )

The meet finished. The crowed started dispersing. We all got into the pool. Robbie took Little Mary to the shallow end. Kenny went into the deeper end. The boys talked to some of the boys from the meet for a couple of minutes, and then joined Kenny in the deep end.

Kenny started working with the boys, teaching them how to swim.

Little Mary kept me very busy: splashing water at me and running around in the shallow end of the pool.

“Uh, Kenny. Do you think one day we’ll be able to swim like that?” Peter asked.

“Yeah,” I said. “Sure you will. For now, guys, let’s just get you started and have fun. Later, when you can handle the pool by yourselves, well, maybe then you can try out for the school team. But, for now, let’s work at developing your skills.”

I started the boys learning how to breathe in the water, treading water, and doing the doggie paddle. It was important for them to get accustomed to physical exertion in the water. Next, was the free style swim stroke and developing the breathing technique? We did this for a while before I turned them loose in the shallow end of the pool where they could blow off some steam and give Little Mary some attention.

Robbie came over to me. “So, you’re their swim coach, too?”

I shrugged. “I’m trying but it’s not going to be easy to find the time.”

“I understand Bro. I understand.”

“Hey, race you!! Best two out of three laps!!”

 

Brian

I saw Kenny and Robbie starting to swim. It was a race.

We kids where watching. Little Mary was excited and so was Peter.

Robbie won the first lap. Kenny won the second lap. The last lap was a real challenge. They were neck and neck, racing to the end of the pool. Kenny won!! We all scream for joy. It was a good race.

“Hey, Robbie … That’s not fair. You let me win,” Kenny said.

“No, it was fair and square, Bro. I’m just a little old. But it was fair race.”

“I see. That’s why you want me to visit. I’ll try. It would be good to see you get back in shape.”

Peter asked, “Hey, Daddy is it time to go home? Little Mary is tired.”

We all got out of the pool. Peter and I raced to the showers. We wanted some fun time horsing around under the shower heads. We soap each other down. And then dried each other and got dressed.

As we were walking to the car, Robbie made a comment, “Gosh I thought girls took longer to shower. What took you guys so long?”

Peter and I blushed. Kenny laughed. Little Mary giggled. We got in the car. Peter and I bantered at each other about whose fault it was for taking so long in the shower. We really didn’t blame each other. We were all laughing at the silly excuses Peter and I made up.

 

Sarah

We were all in the living room having a pleasant family chat and watching a movie. The door bell rang. I went to open the door. There stood my old friend – Caroline Dawson. We talked during the week and I had invited her to come over to spend some time with me. I was expecting her, but she surprised Kenny and Peter.

After greeting everyone, Caroline held out a package. “Peter, this came for you. It’s from your parents.”

Peter ran to Kenny. He cried.

 

Kenny

Mom took the package into the dining room. She motioned me to bring Peter in there so we could deal with matter. I nodded. I took Peter in the room and closed the doors.

I sat in the chair next to the box and put Peter in my lap. “What’s the matter Peter?” Peter didn’t respond. “It’s a care package – you mom and dad probably put things in it for you – that you might need.”

Peter screamed. “I don’t want it!!! I don’t want it!!!”

I hugged Peter. “Peter, don’t you trust me?”

“I trust you” Peter spoke softly.

“What are you afraid of?” I honestly asked.

Peter squealed “I dunno!!”

“It’s just a package. How about we open it together, okay?” Peter nodded.

I took Peter off my lap and put him in the other chair. I positioned the package between us. I motioned for him to open his side of the package while I opened the other side. We pulled off the tape, and removed the wrapping paper. We opened the box together.

There was a letter. I asked Peter if he wanted to read it. He shook his head. He asked me to read it.

I took the letter and read it aloud for Peter to hear.

 

Peter

Your father and I thought that you could use a few things while you stay at Kenny’s place.

We know you will be there for a quite a while. Your father and I are working on sorting out our issues.

Your brothers were upset that you ran away from home.

We all miss you very much.

Be good. Listen to Kenny, and respect him.

Mama

 

Peter cried. He jumped from his chair, and climbed back into my lap. I held him. It took a while but he settled down.

We went through the things in the box. First was Peter’s favorite blanket. It was purple with smooth nylon on both ends. Peter grabbed it and wrapped himself in it. He rubbed the smooth end across his face; it was so cute. It was like watching a kitten curling up on itself to keep warm and safe.

Next were some clothes: pants, shirts, underwear, a jacket, shoes, and sneakers. They were all worn and had been altered to fit Peter. I was shocked; but Peter had been right. He never had many new clothes.

There were also some comfort foods. It was assorted stuff, most of which could be bought anywhere, but also a few items that could only be bought at an ethnic grocery. I guess. We don’t have any of those stores here. I removed those items from the box and place them on the side.

There were a few old toys. Actually, they were all junk, and for a child much younger than Peter. Finally, there were some gifts. For me and my family, I guessed. There were assorted teas and cookies.

Mom knocked on the door and asked is everything ok. I nodded and waved her in.

Peter had fallen asleep. All the excitement, the swimming, and the stress of receiving the package, I guessed. I showed Mom the letter and all the items. Then, I picked up Peter and carried him into the living room. Robbie showed me to the bedroom where I lay Peter down so he could sleep off all the excitement.

Mom made some of the tea from the packages, and put out the cookies and some other treats on a platter.

We all enjoyed the treats while Peter slept.

Caroline, Mom, Robbie, Mary and I talked about the package and how Peter had reacted. It was a tough conversation. Caroline was instrumental in helping us sort it all out. Brian and Little Mary was watching a movie; whispering and giggling to one another. They were oblivious to our adult meeting. When the movie was over, Mom gave the toys from the package to Little Mary to play with. Brian kept her occupied.

I just stared at Little Mary and Brian for a moment while they played with Peters’ toys. Mom looked at me and then at the kids. I sighed. “It looks like the only thing Peter wanted was his blanket. Not the clothes, the foods, nor the toys.”

“Strange,“ I said, reflecting on the letter. “There were no letters from his friends or his brothers.”

Mom replied. “Very sad, too, there’s isn’t anything there for him at home. Poor Peter. It’s no wonder he ran away.”

I blurted out. “That letter – mom - it’s so sterile” Then came out my frustrations. ” No I love you. No I’m sorry. Please come home.” I remember some of the cub scouts got those sterile letters too like Peters.

Mary added. “Well, maybe they have a problem expressing love in words. But, that they sent stuff isn’t that a sign of love.”

I retorted. “What, Old clothes and toys … and a tattered old blanket?” (Give me a break.)

Caroline spoke, “They could be poor and not able to afford much, especially with a family of seven.” She was trying for us to be sympathetic, reasonable, and understanding. But I know better.

Brian startled me. “Well, maybe they shouldn’t have had Peter in the first place!” He exclaimed his frustrations.

“Brian… show some respect!! I’ll not have you say such a thing about Peter!!” Mary said.

“Mom I’m sorry. That’s not what I meant …” Brian said.

I said, “Mary, he means that they had way too many children than they could take care of given that their poor,” It defended Brian’s point.

Mom inquired. “Maybe … So are the children all boys or are there any girls?”

“All boys … Uh, why do you ask, Mom?” I responded.

Mom eluded, “Well, It’s apparent that they were trying to have a little girl.” I was stunned but it could be a possible reason.

Everyone in the room was shocked at the simplicity, and the depth, of Mom’s statement. We were thinking that Peter’s parents considered him to be a mistake, an unfortunate surprise.

We heard a sniffle from the doorway. We turned to see Peter, standing in the doorway, holding his blanket. There was silence for a long moment. How much had Peter heard? I wondered.

Robbie broke the silence. “Hey, sleepyhead, you’re awake! Why don’t you come and sit with Uncle Robbie?” Peter accepted the invitation and sat on Robbie’s lap.

Mary offered Peter tea and cookies; but he shook his head. Brian came over from the corner where he and Little Mary had been playing, and sat next to his mom. Little Mary came and sat in my lap.

 

Brian

Mom realized we kids didn’t want tea, so she brought us milk. I started to make fun of Peter’s security blanket. Mom gave me a quick elbow in the ribs. I said ouch, to myself; I got the message. I asked Mom in a whisper what was going on with the package. She showed me the note. I read it, and understood. It reminded me of Cub Scout camp. When we got homesick, our parents would send us care packages. I guess this is Peter’s first package. Peter was quiet again. I got worried. It seems unfair that so many things make Peter sad.

Little Mary tugged on Peter’s blanket. Peter and little Mary had a tug-of-war. It was so cute and funny. Peter looked like he was getting real annoyed, and then mad. Little Mary made a sad face. Peter saw her face and gave up. Little Mary snatched up the Peter’s blanket and smiled. Peter smiled and laughed.

Robbie looked at his daughter. “Little Mary, that’s not nice. You shouldn’t take Peter’s blanket like that.”

Little Mary spoke “I’m sorry. I just wanted to …”

“It’s okay, Little Mary. I’ll share my blanket with you.” Peter interrupted.

 

Kenny

“Wow that’s so good of you Peter, Sharing with your cousin.” (Was I surprise by Peter’s gesture.)

“I think I am getting too old for my blanket. I only need it if I’m sad or lonely.”

“I’ll give it back to you. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay, little Mary. I’m feeling better. But if I get sad – I want it back okay?”

“Okay.”

That’s was so nice of Peter; Looking out for his little cousin.

Brian smiled; his initial worries about Peter had faded away. Robbie smiled: Peter was becoming more and more like family.

 

Robbie

Mom spoke, “Well, it’s time for Little Mary’s nap. Why don’t the men go out and throw the old pigskin around?”

“Okay” I replied.

“Mary and I will start to make dinner,” Mom said.“So, go ahead outside, and stay out of our hair.”

Kenny asked Mary if that was okay with her. She nodded and told him she and Brian were having a wonderful time.

I looked at them. Gosh they make a wonderful couple. It’s sad that it wouldn’t happen, wrong gender. Or maybe not, Kenny might take up Gary’s suggestion. I hope something happens for my bro. He’s sure is taking it hard.

We gathered outside, I tossed the ball to Peter. Peter fumbled the catch and then picked up the ball from the grass. Peter furrowed his brow, “What happen to the rest of the pig?” and then tosses the ball to Brian. Kenny came out to join us. He heard the question and smirked because it was so funny. I tried to keep a straight face.

Brian burst out laughing. But Peter was serious. Kenny explained in the old days that’s what they called a football, but now they are made from synthetic rubber. Peter responded, “Lucky for the pig!!”

Brian fell to the grass laughing. “Some pig!! Oink, oink!” Peter laughed and joined in on the Brian’s fun. Gosh it’s been a long time since watching Charlotte’s Web. Little Mary and the kids would probably like to watch that one.

It was great to play an old game with my brother and the boys. It was good for them to learn an old tradition, even though it was new for them. With five of us, it was hard to select teams, so mostly we just tossed around the ball; nothing too serious. Just clean, fresh air fun.

Copyright © 2010 hh5; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..