Jump to content
    J92
  • Author
  • 1,532 Words
  • 405 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Life's a Dreamboat - 4. Chapter 4

For the next week Zack takes the time off recovering from the operation, using the time off as holiday. Thomas doesn’t understand why Zack doesn’t just say he is sick, why is it so bad that Zack doesn’t want to let anyone know? Was there something Thomas is missing about being a manager or is it just the fact Zack is very private man?

No one at work has noticed anything in Zack, he is so busy all the time at work, he is so cheerful, and so helpful, no one really takes a look at him properly. They don’t see how ill he is. He is so good at hiding it. Always acting like everything is fine.

At least Thomas forces him to rest when it is just the two of them.

The operation went well, and after a week Zack has arranged to work from home for a month or two, only coming into the office now and then to show his face. Thomas wishes Zack wouldn’t do that, he is in pain, he needs to rest.

Zack is too proud and stubborn and despite the worries, that cocky behaviour always makes Thomas shake his head and smirk.

‘Not in again, wonder why’s working from home,’ mutters Andy.

Thomas keeps his head low, typing away on the computer at his desk.

‘I heard he got divorced, so, you know,’ Sharon shrugs, sipping her coffee. ‘Might be mental health thing. Or selling the house who knows.’

Thomas bites his lip hard; he feels his phone buzz. Looking around, he checks no one is paying attention to him before he takes his phone out and quickly reads the message.

The smile was instant on his face,

‘Hi Thomas, would you be able to come with me to the see the results at the doctors this afternoon? We can also have some of your finest soup after? Zack.’

The results of the operation today. See if it has been a success. Thomas would not miss this.

The time of the results is lunch time, Thomas can skip lunch, the hospital isn’t far from work, he won't be long.

 

Later on, as he walks to the car park, he sees that truck again, ‘Make America Great.’

Thomas rolls his eyes hard.

Damn it, Adam.

Staring at the ground, he marches past the truck to his own car. There is someone standing next to it. Thomas grits his teeth.

Adam stands there, arms folded, smirking.

Exasperated, Thomas looks up at him, car keys in hand.

‘Move,’ he orders.

‘Rude,’ snorts Adam.

‘I don’t have time for this.’

‘You’ve been ignoring my messages.’

‘Yeah.’

Thomas is conscious of the small window of time; he doesn’t want to miss the appointment.

‘I’m not coming back. I am not changing who I am. Now, move,’ Thomas walks around to his driver’s side and opens the door. Adam slaps his hand hard on the door. Thomas grits his teeth.

He turns to his brother, ‘What do you want? I moved far away so I wouldn’t embarrass any of yous, I am not after anything and I am happy to go separate ways.’

‘I am not the one who broke our family up,’ Adam hisses. ‘I am trying to fix it. You have put our parents through hell, everyone in the neighbourhood whispers about you, mom barely goes out. The amount of shame you’ve put on us is ridiculous, and you’re acting like it’s all about you.’

‘Why can’t you just accept me for who I am?’

‘Because you are not normal!’

‘Fuck you!’

Adam sees red and Thomas feels the slam of Adam’s fist on his face.



A few hours later, Thomas is at Zack’s place. His face is swollen and hurts but he has a bag full of cans of soup. In his backpack is the statement from the police and the extra pictures of the security cameras from the car park that the security guard happily handed over. The security guard had managed to get hold off Adam and call the police.

Another charge against his brother. Thomas is so tired of it all. This will not stop Adam from doing it again, it didn’t stop the last ten times.

Thomas takes a big breath and rings Zack’s apartment bell. It chimes aloud.

‘Hello?’

‘Hi Zack, I’m so sorry I missed the …’

‘No, no, I know you wouldn’t have missed it on purpose! Anyway, let’s not talk over intercom, get yourself in, man.’

Thomas braces himself as he goes in and gets to the front door. Zack opens it and his face falls.

‘Yeah,’ Thomas gives an awkward laugh as he comes in. ‘I, um, sorry I missed the appointment.’

‘What happened?’ Zack instantly pulls Thomas to him and shuts the door.

‘My brother.’

‘The police are involved right? This is assault.’

‘Yeah,’ Thomas pulls his backpack off his shoulder and brings out the paperwork, ‘Trying to now sort out a restraining order with police. So, we’re getting there.’

Zack looks as if he is about to say something but stops. Instead, he walks to his kitchen, calling over his shoulder, ‘Do you want any ice?’

‘I would rather know your results!’

Zack follows Thomas into the kitchen, Zack takes out some ice and wraps them in a towel and passes them to Thomas. He smiled, ‘Well, it’s sort of good results. Surgery went well, happy with the progression.’

Thomas smiles back as he holds the ice to his face. He winces a little but carries on smiling, ‘What’s the next steps now?’

‘Few more chemos and then we shall see, but looking really good so far.’

Thomas takes the ice off his face, ‘Absolutely amazing news, I’m so damn happy right now.’

‘I’d be more happy if your brother was locked in jail longer,’ Zack nods with concern at Thomas. ‘You can stay here for a bit.’

‘Aw, you’re worried about me,’ teases Thomas.

‘I am actually, that loon bag is about doing this stuff, it’s not on. Wait, why are you laughing?’

‘Loon bag,’ laughs Thomas. ‘I love that insult, so poetic, you’ve got a great way with words.’

Zack laughs a little and tries to mockingly roll his eyes, ‘Well, you’re welcome to stay longer, I do worry about you, you’re a good ‘un, Thomas.’

That comment made Thomas sparkle a little inside. Biting his lip, he looks down at his bag, ‘Got the soups. You can pick which one.’

‘Ooh choices, put them on the table and I will have a look.’

As Thomas puts the cans on the table, he gets his phone out and put Spotify on.

Looking at his phone, he calls up, ‘Work is fine, everything is up to date, people are talking about where you are, because they are nosy but other than no issues really.’

He finds a song, ‘Rock the Casbah.’

Thomas taps his foot, that exciting contempt feeling filling him as he is ready to spend his evening with the wonderful Zack again.

Mm, wonderful, that’s too heavy a description. That's something you think of if you really like...

Before Thomas can re-think his thoughts the apartment front door bell goes off.

Zack and Thomas exchange confused looks before Zack goes over and presses the intercom.

‘Hello?’

‘Zack,’ a man’s voice came through.

Thomas saw Zack’s face drop, his shoulders droop.

Oh. Thomas realises.

Zack clears his throat and says into the intercom, ‘Hi Billy, um, what’s the matter? Did you leave something?’

‘I just came round to see you,’ the man says. ‘Can I just come in? For a few minutes?’

Zack looks over at Thomas, ‘I, um,’

‘I will be quick,’ says the man. ‘I just want to see you then I will go, I promise.’

Thomas nods at Zack and mouths, ‘Go for it.’

Zack looks conflicted as he murmurs, ‘Five minute.’ Before pressing the button to let him into the building.

‘Thomas,’ Zack tries to say.

‘I can be wait in the other room, it’s fine,’ Thomas says walking away, feeling his legs shake a little.

‘You can stay where you are, I will talk to Billy at the door.’

‘No,’ Thomas says. ‘I think you should let him talk. He is your ex right, he’ll want to make sure you’re okay, you’ll need privacy.’

‘Thomas,’ Zack tries to say again.

There is a knock on the door.

Thomas sits inside the kitchen; door closes slightly as he turns his Spotify off. The excitable energy in the air is now very deflated. Thomas peers through the gap in the door as Zack sighs and goes to the door to open it.

 

Copyright © 2024 J92; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 5
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Writer's Circle

    A forum for writer's to discuss the writing craft

    12.2k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hopefully my choice of 'angry' emoticon doesn't discourage you @J92, because the chapter was quite good. The anger is directed at Adam and the rest of Thomas' homophobic 'family'. Thankfully there's plenty of evidence and witnesses to Adam's assault on Thomas, sufficient to get a restraining order.

It also seems that family issues may be in play with Zack and his ex-husband Billy. Is Billy is feeling bad for abandoning Zack just because of his cancer, or is he only back to pick up the remainder of his things?

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thomas has been a real support for Zack while Billy run away. What has Billy to say now and why it has to be in privacy? They were married - in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad...remember!!!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I am finding the following to be a bit absurd and difficult to comprehend, let alone believe...there is more than enough to see the A-Hole sitting in the pokey doing 5-10 years...

Another charge against his brother. Thomas is so tired of it all. This will not stop Adam from doing it again, it didn’t stop the last ten times.

Then there is Billy, does he figure Thomas has money and he may inherit?? Checking if his ex is still breathing...and for how long...

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..