Jump to content
    J92
  • Author
  • 1,446 Words
  • 369 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Life's a Dreamboat - 7. Chapter 7

They are all sat in a booth together. Everyone from Thomas’s work floor. There is about ten of them. Roaring with laughter and making cheeky comments as they down their drinks.

This bar is alive with groups of people sat around in booths or standing up; the bar staff are busy trying to serve as many people as they can. The sounds of Katy Perry fly over the stereos.

Sharon spots Thomas, widens her lipstick grin and waves him over.

Others look over their shoulder, calling at him, ‘Thomas!’

‘Yo,’ Thomas nods back, shuffling into the booth. ‘Sorry I’m late.’

‘Yeah, you need to go on home,’ one of the guys says. Then he bursts out laughing, nudging Thomas, ‘Just kidding, my man, you want a drink?’

‘Anything really, thanks,’ Thomas smiles.

‘Whiskey it is,’ declares the guy, grinning, patting Thomas on the back.

‘Thanks, man,’ Thomas adds again, watching as he sways to the bar.

Sharon catches Thomas’s look and giggles, ‘Yeah, Ron was drinking before we arrived.’

‘That’s actually pretty impressive,’ Thomas remarks, looking down at his watch.

‘He may be a while at the bar,’ nods Andy, sipping his beer.

Thomas shrugs, ‘Free drink, baby. That’s all I’m going to say.’

They all laugh as Thomas settles in, taking his jacket off.

‘Oh, Thomas,’ one of the girls’ nods. ‘Your eye looks better now by the way. I heard about your brother hitting you in the carpark a few weeks ago.’

Ah. The security guard must have told people. Or maybe people saw the police cars arrive. Then Thomas thinks that he can’t get too mad even if the security guard told one or two people, it is probably the most interesting thing that’s ever happened at work ever.

‘Your brother sounds like a bastard,’ comments one of the guys, finishing his drink.

Thomas feels bad that he can’t remember their names very well. He wants to think that is … Lenny that is talking there.

‘Well, thanks about the eye compliment though,’ Thomas grins.

Then Thomas pauses. What if they all ask questions about his brother and why he hit him? What if they already know the reason? Thomas is worrying so far ahead. No one knows the real reason. He can make up some very good generic reasoning.

Thomas clears his throat, ‘We had a family falling out a few years ago.’

‘What you need, man, is a restraining order,’ remarks Andy.

‘Getting that sorted,’ laughs Thomas.

‘I think I’ve seen a guy, looking around the carpark recently,’ another guy adds on. ‘He looked very creepy; it might have been your brother. I can get him next time for ya.’

Thomas really didn’t want all the attention on him and is feeling very uncomfortable.

He gave a quick smile, ‘Well the security guard will sort him out, again, don’t you worry.’

Then Ron appears with the two drinks in his hands and Thomas is so relieved.

‘I’ll buy your next one,’ he says, sipping the whisky.

‘That’s what I like to hear,’ beams Ron, almost slurring. He goes to sit in the booth and nearly misses, Thomas catches him and pulls him up while the rest of the table laugh hard.

‘Oh,’ one of the girls, says, tapping the table in excitement. ‘With your brother, I totally get it, my sister is the same.’ She sips her drink and says, ‘Not hitting me, but she just turns up to my house all the time no matter where I am, it is just too much.’

‘That’s nothing like his story, Hayley,’ Sharon rolls her eyes.

‘Alright, shut up, I’m getting more shots,’ Andy announces, much to the enjoyment on the table.

 

It is the third shot they all have, the whole group of people slamming their shot glasses to the table.

‘They don’t get easier,’ shudders Hayley.

Sharon and Thomas exchange looks as the rest of the table starts loudly talking to each other and drinking the rest of their drinks.

‘How are you doing, anyway,’ Thomas says to Sharon. ‘It’s been ages.’

She has a strong perfume on like, roses, and she has dressed up really nice for the evening in a white flowery short dress.

‘Since our first date? Yeah,’ she gives out a giggle. ‘I thought you’d gone off me completely or that you thought it was the worst date ever.’

Thomas’s face drops, ‘No, of course not. I enjoyed the date, didn’t you?’

‘Well, I know I did,’ she sips her drink. ‘You seemed preoccupied so I just assumed there was nothing for you. I mean, I can’t be too mad, you did pay the check.’

‘I did enjoy it,’ insists Thomas, feeling a horrible slime of embarrassment.

‘You didn’t message afterwards or ask for a second date,’ Sharon says, ‘Look, you know, it’s fine, don’t worry about it, Thomas, I’m a big girl you know, and to answer your first question, I am very good actually.’
Thomas thinks about Zack. How Zack turned red when he danced with him. Had his arms crossed.

‘I would love to go on another date with you, Sharon,’ Thomas blurts out.

‘You’re just saying that.’

‘I’m an idiot who just forgot. Give me another shot?’

It’s been a few days later and Thomas is at work with Zack. He is helping Zack in the large storing room, putting away large files and is on the stepladders.

The storing room contains shelves and shelves packed with folders and papers; they have managed to locate some space at the top shelves to put some folders away.

‘So, she said yes?’ asks Zack, holding the ladder still for Thomas.

Thomas has just finished telling Zack about his evening and is standing on top of the ladder pushing the files onto the shelves.

He replies back to Zack, ‘Good guess.’

‘Not a good guess, Sharon likes you, I’ve told you that before,’ Zack holds the ladder while Thomas climbs down. ‘Don’t mess it up.’

‘Alright,’ snorts Thomas, shaking his head.

‘I’m glad you’ve got Sharon,’ Zack says.

‘Well, I haven’t got anyone…’

‘You know what I mean,’ Zack says as he puts the ladders away. ‘I worry about you and I don’t want you to be on your own.’

Thomas grimaces while Zack’s back is turned, putting the ladders in the cupboard.

Zack really doesn’t want him.

‘Well, thank you for being a supportive friend,’ he manages to say as Zack smiles at him.

The smile feels so bittersweet to Thomas as they walk out the storing room.

Thomas is so stupid to think anything could happen with Zack, or that Zack would find someone like Thomas attractive. But then Zack is his boss so it would be frowned upon if anything happened, anyway. It still hurts. Even just to know Zack feels a little of something but couldn’t do anything about it, will be better than nothing at all.

Or maybe Zack is still in love with his ex. Thomas can’t compete with a marriage of seven years.

Thomas should have known this is going to end in disaster. He goes back to his desk, and clears his throat, annoyed at himself for getting upset.


It is now the evening of the date with Sharon. It is at a seafood restaurant. Thomas didn’t mind it, he let Sharon pick it.

The smells of fresh lobster and sweet prawns are luring Thomas in. The restaurant is in shades of blue and has images of whales on the billboard outside. It seems busy inside, a few families in, the lights look very bright inside.

Almost like spotlights.

Thomas can see Sharon sitting, waiting for him in the table at the back. She has curled her hair and put on even more makeup.

The spotlights shines on, as if ready for Thomas to act good, act better.

She has made such a huge effort with her appearance; did Thomas really make her feel like she needed to?

It isn’t her that needs to prove anything.

In the corner of his eye, Thomas sees an empty bar with a bar lady standing, texting on her phone. He can grab a quick shot at the bar before he went to the table with Sharon. Just a quick one.

Copyright © 2024 J92; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 4
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Writer's Circle

    A forum for writer's to discuss the writing craft

    12.2k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This was a cringeworthy chapter with all of these folks continuously deluding themselves...At some frigging point Thomas has to file charges against his brother and come clean to Zack and stop leading Sharon on....

  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Another interesting chapter @J92, with more character background popping up in bar & restaurant conversations. But is any of it close to the truth or merely smokescreen?

When Thomas enters the restaurant for a dinner date set up by Sharon, he notices how well lit it is inside. And while he wants an inconspicuous dinner, it's like spotlights which shine on him: "as if ready for Thomas to act good, act better".

🚨

  • Wow 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..