Jump to content
    J92
  • Author
  • 583 Words
  • 524 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
contains bullying and abusive behaviour

On the Strawberry Moon - 10. Chapter 10

It was the night of the competition and the gang were people of their word and they arrived and grabbed some seats at the back of the hall.

‘Stop squishing me,’

‘You’re too big.’

‘That’s insensitive.’

‘Oh, stop being mean Ronny.’

‘I am mean.’

Kalum smiled as his friends bickered in their seat. He felt his brother sit next to him laughing. He copied the laughter.

‘Shh!’

‘Hello everyone,’ the headmaster announced on the stage. ‘Thank you all for coming, as you know each ticket paid is going towards out loved charity…’

‘Should have been given to us, we are charity,’ mumbled Sammy.

‘… Our judges this year are the lunch lady Cassie, janitor Robbie and our lovely teacher, who you may know from some of the English groups, Mrs. Tillson.’

‘Fabulous bunch of judges,’ Daz muttered in a deadpan voice, staring at the older boring judges near the front of the stage.

‘In no order we have Sandra doing her cheerleading gymnastic.’

‘Robert better not be last,’ muttered Billy.

‘Robert on guitar’

The gang hollered hard and wooed so hard that the headmaster glared a little at them, ‘Okay, okay, settle down.’

Then acts came through one by one. Each had a ten minute spot.

Kalum felt a jitter of excitement and he tried not to tap his foot.

What if Robert was bad? But then it didn’t matter if he was, the fact he was doing this at all was amazing. He was braver than Kalum ever could be.

Finally.

‘Here we go, Robert Youngling with guitar.’

The tired gang jumped and applauded loud and proud as Robert walked on stage with his classical brown guitar in hand.

Sitting on the chair, he began adjusted his guitar and the microphone stand.

Then he nodded at the judges and cleared his throat.

His hand swayed through the strings and the harmonic notes lifted the air.

‘Starry, starry night,’ he sang.

It felt like the world opened up then for Kalum.

‘Wow,’ muttered Billy.

‘Incredible,’ muttered Sammy leaning forward, resting her elbows on her knees.

His voice was smooth and deep. Completely in tune and synchronised with the notes from the guitar, almost effortless.

Kalum was glad no one was watching him. Because he could not hide or disguise how he felt. For those moment as Robert sang and played guitar, he felt like he could breathe out. Swallowing and taking the sounds that were the magic in. It felt so good to have in his ears. He felt like his heart was swelling up completely. His voice was soft and strong.

It was beautiful.

He was beautiful.

Kalum could not deny this moment, he couldn’t stop watching, his heart was pounding through his body. His feelings for Robert were just so overwhelming and completely undeniable.

This feeling was so huge.

Then the song was over.

Everyone clapped hard. But Kalum’s heart was still pounding hard.

***

‘That Sandra totally rigged it, like,’ declared Ronny.

‘What she do; sleep with the judges?’ asked Oscar as they all walked home from the school.

‘Can you even imagine,’ laughed Daz.

‘Ew, ew, no!’ Sammy said. ‘She wins every year. So boring.’

Tom looked over at Robert while he was carrying his guitar, ‘Sorry you didn’t win, dude.’

‘You were totally robbed!’ declared Ronny. ‘You were the best on there!’

Robert laughed, ‘Thank you.’

‘You were awesome,’ grinned Jasper.

Kalum looked up and caught Robert’s eye. He nodded. He didn’t trust himself to speak.

J92
  • Like 13
  • Love 7
Thank you for reading.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Writer's Circle

    A forum for writer's to discuss the writing craft

    12.2k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Kalum got to hear Robert play guitar during school event , His heart was all pitter patter for Robert ❤️

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..