Jump to content
    J92
  • Author
  • 791 Words
  • 381 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
contains bullying and abusive behaviour

On the Strawberry Moon - 16. Chapter 16

It was so bright when Kalum woke up.

It was loud too. Harsh bleeping beep. Machines pumping next to him. The noise of people flooded over him.

‘He’s waking up.’

‘Look, his eyes.’

‘Okay, everyone let’s give him some room, come on, now.’

A man Kalum had never before, came into focus. It was all so bright and loud still.

‘Look you’re making him panic.’

Even in this state, Kalum could notice his brother’s voice.

Who else was here, where was he?

The smells of strong bleach and disinfect reminded him of the doctor’s reception.

‘Kalum,’ the man was more in focus. He had blue shirt and gown. A nurse? A doctor? ‘Hi, I’m Alex, I’m a nurse here, you had a nasty bump to your head, do you remember what happened?’

‘The rock fell,’ Kalum burbled out his words, his throat hoarse.

‘I told you this already,’ Jasper was exasperated. ‘We explored the cave, got separated, I tried to get to him but the rocks fells down.’

‘That area you told me is quite dangerous,’ Alex said over his shoulder, still looking at Kalum. He got a little torch out, ‘You’re at the hospital now, Kalum, I just need you to tell me how you’re feeling.’

Kalum followed the torch with his eyes, ‘I’m fine. I want to go home.’

He hated how whiny he sounded but he had never prepared to be in hospital like this.

Alex didn’t seem satisfied and looked over at the other people in the room. Now all of Kalum’s focus was back and he could see the other people in the room were Jasper, Billy, Tom and Robert.

‘Would you guys mind giving us some privacy, for five minutes?’ Alex politely asked.

Kalum had noticed a change in Alex’s eyes and wasn’t sure why.

The guys all left the room and shut the door behind them.

Kalum sat up a little bit on the bed. Alex had a stethoscope around his neck and he sat down in the chair next to Kalum.

‘So, Kalum your friends called an ambulance.’

‘They didn’t have to.’

‘You weren’t breathing, they did the right thing. So normally, the paramedics so a full check over of anyone they go to help.’

Kalum didn’t understand where this was going. ‘Okay.’

‘They found a lot of bruising on you, especially round your collar bone,’ Alex reached over and pulled Kalum’s shirt collar gentle, revealing the purple markings Kalum had hidden for so long. ‘Bruises on your arms, finger bruises and a few burns.’

The old burns. It annoyed Kalum they were still noticeable.

‘Is there anything going on at home?’

‘I don’t have a home,’ Kalum immediately answered. ‘I’m in a care home.’

‘Yes, your brother said,’ Alex said, softly. ‘I’ll rephrase, is anything going on at school or where you live?’

It felt like Alex was trying to pull off Kalum’s clothes, pull his skin off, leave him bare.

Kalum had always thought he was prepared with answers for situation like this. But it was very bright and very loud and smelt funny here.

‘Everything is fine,’ was all he could muster up.

‘Those bruises are quite nasty, have you ever told anyone?’

Kalum felt mortified. He wanted to run out the bed and go home.

‘You don’t have to put up with that, Kalum.’

Before Alex could say anymore, Kalum blurted, ‘Look. I get in to fights, I give as good as I get. That’s all. That’s the life in care home, not a big deal. Just typical fighting, that’s what happens with guys.’

Again, Alex didn’t seem satisfied with the answer and just frowned a little.

‘When can I go home, please?’ Kalum started to panic, not knowing if he needed to be in longer due to his history with his head injuries. ‘You said I had a bruise on my head, a concussion; how long does it normally take for everything to get better after that?’

Alex gave a sad smile, ‘Not long now. You friends really care about you, they asked the same.’

Kalum gave a small quick smile back.

Quickly, Alex scribbled something on a piece of paper and passed over to Kalum, ‘We’re just going to do a couple more checks on you, we’ve contacted your care home and there’s a carer coming in.’

Kalum looked at the piece of paper Alex had handed him.

It said ‘Samaritans, twenty-four seven’ and there was a contact number next to it.

J92
  • Like 5
  • Fingers Crossed 2
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 4
Thank you for reading.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Writer's Circle

    A forum for writer's to discuss the writing craft

    12.2k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

With such obvious signs of abuse it’s hard to understand the nurses reluctance to press for further investigation. In our medical system (Canadian) this would have been cause for concern and triggered an immediate response by child welfare services. 
How much worse does it have to get before either Kallum finally breaks down and admits the abuse  or that Jasper either,  intentionally or not,  goes too far and causes irreparable harm?
Any volunteers to help take Jasper down?

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment

Actually, medical personnel, as well as educators, are mandatory reporters in the US.  Alex can’t force Kalum to say anything, but he is still required to report his suspicions and present his evidence.  He did the only thing he could at this point. He gave Kalum the number for Samaritans.  They’ll help him, no questions asked, by getting him away from Jasper.  Things are now at the point that I think Kalum will take this one seriously, but I hope he memorizes the number, because, no matter how well he hides that slip of paper, Jasper will find it.  Then, beware Jaspers wrath!  I hope Robert keeps a close eye on him.  Maybe, at least for one night, the care home’s nurse (and, yes, they have to have one) can keep him in the infirmary because of his injuries, no matter what he says.  

I have to wonder what the doctors said, but we don’t know here.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

As far as how much it will take for Kalum to finally report the abuse and turn his brother in, victims of abuse live under the extreme fear of retribution from their abuser.  They don’t believe that anyone will take their claims seriously, even when the evidence is obvious, as it is on Kalum. (And hopefully the hospital documented the injuries with the mandatory report and in his medical files.) CPS will be forced to investigate with such a report, especially from medical professionals.  In Kalum’s case, he’s been forced, for years, to imitate everything his brother does and says—no individualism is allowed by Jasper.  He has had to pretend to everyone to be happy with his situation with Jasper.   So there is a true fear.  Anything he says that contradicts his brother, or makes Jasper angry, will ricochet back to him a hundredfold.  Jasper has already shown he is ready to escalate to actual murder.  The only thing that prevented it was Robert’s presence and shouts for the others.  Next time Kalum may not be so lucky—and Jasper will make sure of it. 

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..