Jump to content
    J92
  • Author
  • 719 Words
  • 549 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
contains bullying and abusive behaviour

On the Strawberry Moon - 6. Chapter 6

Back in the library at lunch break, the gang were gathering papers for revision. The big mock exams were coming up and Daz had made them all come to the library to practise.

‘When your exams go great you can thank me,’ she told them all.

‘Better if you could just do the exams for us,’ Billy laughed as Oscar shook her head.

The gang had settled into Billy and Oscar’s new relationship, nothing dramatic more happened. Just genuine happiness for the couple and support. This is what Kalum truly enjoyed about being in the gang. No bitchy dramas, just real friendship and support.

He often thought if he would ever mention about Jasper to them. But it felt so much easier not to say anything.

They were all finishing up their mock exam practise and started to talk about music.

‘You must like Snoop Dogg and that right? Run-D.M.C, right?’ Ronny nodded at Robert.

Robert had been invited to sit with them by Billy. Robet was sat next to Daz; he raised an eyebrow and Sammy looked confused.

‘Drake and his new song, you know it?’ added Ronny.

‘Not really,’ Robert gave a small smile.

Kalum found it hard to stare at Robert without giving away how he felt, he thought his eyes were too expressive and his cheeks would go too red. Robert with his tanned dark skin and afro, and sweet hazel eyes. Slim figure with the school jacket just framing him well. So, instead, Kalum darted his gaze around the gang, never resting on one person.

‘Have I got that wrong?’ frowned Ronny.

‘Nah, I like Nirvana and music like that.’

‘ Oh,’ Ronny blushed. ‘Sorry, that was crap of me.’

‘No, that’s just called racial stereotyping, dude,’ Sammy stuck his tongue. ‘How embarrassing.’

‘Shut up!’

The gang laughed and Robert just laughed and smiled, ‘I really like Good Charlotte too.’

‘Emo!’ coughed Tom.

Kalum smiled back at Robert while everyone laughed. He liked Good Charlotte too.

‘Guns and Roses all day,’ Jasper declared.

Taking a mental sigh, Kalum grinned, nodded and they both sang out the statement, ‘Take me down to the paradise city.’

Kalum sang it hard as if he loved it so much and not hated it at all.

***
Later on, in science Robert and Kalum were sat next to each other.

Robert wrote a note down and passed to him, ‘Here’s number for someone to help. You can call anytime!’

Kalum stared hard at the abuse phone lines he’d seen many times. He erased Robert’s writing hard and responded back with his note, saying ‘NO.’

 

***

His throat was closed up.

Kalum was struggling and his eyes snapped open.

It must have been in the middle of the night. It was all darkness. But he could see his brother above him, straddling him.

He had a tight grasp round Kalum’s neck again. He was holding on tighter and tighter.

Kalum reached for Jasper’s hands again, trying to claw back at him, and just staring back at him.

‘Why do you keep doing this?’ Jasper asked, calmly.

Kalum remembered when they were younger, about ten years old, in the first children’s home. He fell down the stairs. Or at least that’s what he remembered. What he also remembered is looking up at his brother who was at the top of the stairs. It might have been Kalum’s fuzzy memory but he was sure ten-year-old Jasper was smiling. Or maybe he was just remembering things wrong. His memory was never the best.

It was something they never talked about, that strange event of Kalum falling down the stairs. It was never mentioned ever again.

When his eyes started to roll into the back of his head, Jasper let go.

Hailing deeply, Kalum breathed aloud from his nose, clearing his throat. The air hurt his throat as he spluttered on some air.

The boys were in twin bunk beds. Jasper rolled out of Kalum’s bed and climbed up to his bed at the top.

Kalum really didn’t know why his brother hated him so much.

Thank you for the feedback, made the edit 🙂
J92
  • Like 4
  • Wow 3
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 10
Thank you for reading.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Writer's Circle

    A forum for writer's to discuss the writing craft

    12.2k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Kalum is so fearful of his brother that he doesn’t trust anyone to help him get out of the abusive situation.  If he reports Jasper, Jasper could talk himself out of trouble, given the history Kalum has portrayed.  Then Jasper would/could truly harm Kalum.  

Robert needs to step in with what he has witnessed.  He, at least, needs to wake up the teachers to the problem.  Too bad he doesn’t know that Mr. Johnson is already suspicious.  Yes, teachers are mandatory reporters, but he doesn’t have any actual proof, yet.  Hopefully, he has spoken with the principal and/or the boys’ counselor(s).

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 11/26/2023 at 9:02 AM, Clancy59 said:

Kalum is so fearful of his brother that he doesn’t trust anyone to help him get out of the abusive situation.  If he reports Jasper, Jasper could talk himself out of trouble, given the history Kalum has portrayed.  Then Jasper would/could truly harm Kalum.  

Robert needs to step in with what he has witnessed.  He, at least, needs to wake up the teachers to the problem.  Too bad he doesn’t know that Mr. Johnson is already suspicious.  Yes, teachers are mandatory reporters, but he doesn’t have any actual proof, yet.  Hopefully, he has spoken with the principal and/or the boys’ counselor(s).

You hit it again , Spot on with your observations of these Polar Opposite Identical Twins . I can see Jasper blaming Kalum for all his problems too when these incidents surface 😵‍💫

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I’m a retired teacher.  I cannot tell you how many times it was ingrained into various meetings, orientations and conversations that we are mandatory reporters.  If we ever saw or heard anything that caused us concern, even a passing comment, we were required to report it to Administration.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..