Jump to content
    J92
  • Author
  • 671 Words
  • 601 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
contains bullying and abusive behaviour

On the Strawberry Moon - 5. Chapter 5

‘Kalum,’ said Mr. Johnson. ‘Can you come here, just for two minutes please?’

Class had just finished and everyone was already packing up to go.

Kalum felt the dread feeling in his stomach. He looked over at Jasper who nodded. He would wait for him outside.

Shoving his backpack over his shoulder, he pulled his sleeves down to cover his hands. He walked over to Mr Johnson, his English teacher.

Mr Johnson put down his papers, waiting for the last student in the class to shut the classroom door so he could speak privately with Kalum.

‘Just sit down for a moment, don’t worry, it’s nothing bad,’ Mr Johnson gave a short smile.

He scanned through his papers and pulled a few out. Kalum pulled a chair out and holding his tense breath, he perched at the edge of the chair.

Mr. Johnson said, ‘I’ve noticed you and your brother get the exact same grades, quite similar answers.’

Kalum didn’t know what to say to that. ‘Um. Yes?’

‘I can see your brother struggles a bit with spelling.’

‘Okay.’

‘But when I see your work, I can see your grammar and sentencing are fantastic. But you scribble it out and re-write it incorrectly.’

‘Oh.’

‘Is there any reason for this? You have the right answer every time, your argument last week on the modern take on Jane Eyre, before you scratched it out, it was grade A stuff.’

‘Oh, um,’ Kalum just shrugged.

Mr. Johnson put the papers down and looked at him, ‘You should have more confidence in your voice and writing, Kalum. You should be top of the class.’

It was nice to hear from a teacher that he was actually smart.

But being smarter than Jasper was definitely not an option though.

Mr. Johnson could see he wasn’t getting through to Kalum so just nodded, ‘Just something to think about.’

***

It was lunch. The gang was just eating when Jasper needed the toilet.

If Jasper needed the toilet, Kalum needed it too. It was the Jasper way.

So, the twins left the group and walked to the bathroom. There were a few students in there who left the bathroom, chatting with each other. It was quiet.

Suddenly, Kalum was pushed hard against the bathroom wall, the tiles were hard and cold against his back. Jasper wrapped his hands tight across his throat.

Kalum tried, with desperation, to snatched at Jasper’s wrists. The state of panic took over him. He struggled to breathe; his airway closing up. He stared back at his brother as Jasper tightened his grip.

‘Do not speak to that fag again. Do I need to repeat myself?’

Kalum shock his head, still grabbing at his brother wrists, out of desperation.

It hurt so bad.

‘You understand?’

Kalum opened his mouth, ‘Yes’. It whistled out his trapped throat.

He thought he was going to pass out then Jasper let go.

Kalum spluttered and gasped hard, coughing and wheezing.

Jasper looked at him in disgust before walking out the bathroom.

A stall door flittered a little after he left.

Kalum stared at the floor, his eyes burning.

‘Hey.’

Kalum looked up at the timid voice, it was Robert.

Robert has been hiding in the stall and had seen everything. He instantly rushed over to Kalum. His eyes widen at the finger marks on Kalum’s throat. Instantly, he went to touch him.

Kalum shook his head and pulled away.

Robert stared, his face was horrified and his eyes full of tears.

Before Robert could speak anymore, Kalum shook his head again and walked past, pulling his collar higher around his throat, and left the bathroom.

As soon he left, Robert stared after him. He slammed his rage into the bathroom door.

‘Agh!’ he screamed.

J92
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 3
  • Angry 11
Thank you for reading.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Writer's Circle

    A forum for writer's to discuss the writing craft

    12.2k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Jasper has some real anger issues. Hopefully Kellum or someone will help Kellum standup to his bully behavior.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Or maybe Mr Johnson.   

Interesting problem though, it's not just the usual teen-who-thinks-he-can't-speak-up problem.   Kalum needs a clean break from Jasper, but it'd likely be impossible to explain to anyone that something really big and final is needed-  everyone conditioned today to try a round of talking it out  and mediation and stuff. And separating twins in foster care is generally a policy no-no. 

 

 

  • Wow 2
Link to comment

Jasper is sounding more and more psychotic.  

Robert now definitely knows why Kalum has been so reluctant to advance any kind of relationship with him, whether romantic or simply mere friendship.  He’s 17, also, and not versed in how to handle someone like Jasper.  If he has an open relationship with his parents, that should be the first place he could go for advice.  He may/should have to report this physical attack to the school authorities, especially if it left marks that fast.  Most schools have a zero tolerance policy regarding violence, substance abuse, etc.  

Kalum also needs to be removed from rooming with Jasper.  The home, in all innocence, thinks they are doing the boys a favor, but it’s only adding fuel to the fire by reenforcing to Jasper that HE has control.  I’m a bit surprised that no one seems to have caught on to the situation between the two boys, especially the home, after seeing them interact for several years.  They are not being very diligent in their duties beyond basic physical care.  Mr. Johnson is the first adult who seems to have caught on to the dynamics that Kalum is the intellectually superior, yet Jasper seems to be the controller.  As an educator (educators are mandatory reporters of any kind of abusive situations), he is obligated to continue his observations and he should now be collecting his evidence and discussing the situation with the boys’ counselor(s) and the principal.  They can quietly alert the boys’ other teachers to watch for the behavior, also.  Together, this team can begin observing the boys, collecting the information needed, and, hopefully, get Kalum away from Jasper while getting Jasper the psychiatric help he obviously needs.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Jasper is getting more and more psychotic, Kalum could seriously be injured by his twin . @Clancy59 you hit it right on the nose with their English Teacher Mr.Johnson seeing the major difference between the two , Kalum dumbing down to Jasper’s Level . I hope they get some help soon too ! 

Edited by JohnnyC
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..