Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Luke Hanson's Mind & Punishment: A Teen in Despair - 5. Chapter 5 - Crashing at Taz's

Monday 10:32pm - Luke


 

Parking up the car, I walked into the house, chucked my keys in the fruit bowl in the hall, and kicked off my sneakers, not bothering to undo my laces.

"I'm home, Dad, had a great time in the end. Lee's new girlfriend seems really..."

WTF!

"Oh, hi Luke, this is..."

"Elaine, nice to meet you, Luke; your Dad has told me lots about you," Elaine said, cutting my Dad off and surprising me as I walked into the lounge seeing them both sitting there. "Did you have a nice time at your friend's house?"

"Uh, yeah, I did, erm, why are you asking?"

"Luke, manners," Dad said, giving me a pleading look. Elaine seemed to smile, although it was through gritted teeth, I expected.

"I have a son a little older than you, Christian his name is, he's twenty-two. You're eighteen right? Didn't stay on at school, I hear. Always best to get a good education. I said this to your Dad that perhaps you could go back to school."

"I'm sure you probably did. Sorry, Elaine, nice to meet you. I need to go to bed; I have work."

I walked back out of the lounge feeling like a stranger in my own house. Not to mention pissed off that this... this woman asked such questions like she lived here. I made a mental note to read Dad the riot act as soon as we were alone as I marched up the stairs.

As I reached my room, it became clear I'd been followed up. A nightmare picture formed in my mind that it was Elaine, but I knew even she would not have walked up the stairs that quickly to burst into my room behind me.

"Luke?" Dad stood in the doorway as I pulled some clothes off my bed and sat down on it.

I glared at Dad. "Did you have a nice time with your friends? Shouldn't you be at school?" I mimicked; sarcasm oozing from my mouth. "Just who does she think she is, my mother?"

"Luke, she was just being friendly; there was no need for that."

"Dad, she should have stopped at the point she said she's heard a lot about me. Not go on to speak as if she lives here."

"I'm sorry, I should not have invited her round here until speaking to you, but I didn't think you'd mind."

I looked at Dad gathering my thoughts. "Dad I... I don't mind who you see; it's none of my business, you're a grown man, and I don't even mind people you've met coming here, but..."

"Well thank you for the permission," Dad cut in

"...But they need to know their place. I'll say this; she's certainly forward," I finished, my tone softening towards the end.

"She's just honest in her approach, Luke. That's why I like her. Look, I need to go back down, but you and I are good, yeah?"

"Of course, Dad, I'll see you in the morning. Is she... is she staying?"

"Erm, well, I'd like it if she did."

I pulled a pillow up to my face. "Oh, God, Dad, now I know what you're going to be doing. Urrhghh, no offence, but I'm going to Taz's.

Dad laughed and leaned his head against the door frame. "You don't have to leave your bed because Elaine is staying over, Luke."

I pulled the pillow down and looked at him, my eyes wide in horror. "Yeah, Dad, I do," I said, nodding as I spoke. "At least for tonight anyway. I just don't feel... look, go back down and join her; she's going to wonder where you've got to. It's fine. I'll go to Taz's, and please don't worry or take offence."

Dad shrugged and pushed off the door frame. "If that's better for you, and you don't mind?"

"Dad, just go. I really don't mind."

Dad pursed his lips and left my doorway, and I heard him plod back downstairs. I dug out my phone from my jeans.

[22:43] Me: You up?
[22:43] Taz: Yep, what's up?
[22:44] Me: She's in my fucking lounge!!!
[22:44] Taz: LOL, no way!
[22:44] Me: And she's staying over *vomits*
[22:44] Taz: Randy old Len! they didn't waste any time!
[22:45] Me: I've made myself homeless for tonight. There was no other choice.
[22:46] Taz: LMAO, I'll be in bed, let yourself in. Key is in usual place. keep the noise down though, mum and dad have already gone to bed.
[22:47] Me: I owe you one!
[22:47] Taz: Yeah, one of many.

I chucked my phone down and quickly threw tomorrow's work clothes in a bag, along with my wallet, deodorant and lip balm. I already had a toothbrush at Taz's, and we used the same hair product, so sitting there for a few seconds, I decided I had all I needed and crept downstairs.

I very gently picked up my car keys from the bowl, trying not to clink them on the glass and carefully pulled down on the door catch, stealthfully exiting my house. No way was I saying goodbye to Elaine.

I started my car and reversed out straight away, not even putting my seat belt on, having visions of them both coming to the door to see me off or make me stay. Yuk, I thought as I slammed my car into first and quickly sped away.

Within seconds I was pulling up outside Taz's house. Getting out, locking the car and checking Edith's curtains, I threw my rucksack over my shoulder and headed into Taz's backyard, trying to locate the key in the pitch black, which sat under a pot.

"Got it," I whispered to myself before placing it in the back door. I let myself in and closed the door silently behind me, heading up to Taz's room. When I walked in, I could see his lamp on, and Taz is sitting up in bed, on his phone as usual.

"Wow, you didn't take long," he whispered.

"I had to; I was afraid she would hunt me down." Taz put his hand up to his mouth and sniggered. "It's not funny. She looks like one of those head dinner ladies too!"

"Just get to bed; we both have to be up early, remember?"

"Yeah, sorry." I closed Taz's door and set my bag down before stripping to my boxers, chucking my clothes on Taz's computer chair. "Shit, i need to do me teeth, be right back."

I crept out to the bathroom and quickly cleaned my teeth using the in-residence toothbrush Taz kept under the sink for me. While at this impromptu pit stop I quickly had a pee, hastily shaking the drips before heading back out on to the landing - which apart from Taz's lamp illuminating his doorway, was dark and silent. I went in and closed the door again before climbing into his double bed. Politely Taz had moved over to one side, giving me room.

"Been a while since you've been in here," Taz stated, smiling at me as I pulled the single sheet up to my chest.

"Your room or your bed?" I replied, grinning back.

"Just don't touch anything in the night. I might forget it's you in my bed," Taz said, leaving me wondering what that meant. I didn't ask. Taz turned out the lamp and placed his phone down before turning onto his side away from me.

"Hey?" I said, nudging him with my elbow.

"What?"

"How does it feel to be in bed with a gay person?" I asked teasingly. "I think last time I slept in your bed you would have known me as a straight guy."

"But you weren't, so what does it matter?" Taz replied lazily, not even turning over.

"I guess not," I replied, smiling. I closed my eyes, and sleep came quickly.

~

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  

~

I'm not sure what time it was because it gets light so early in the summer, but a knock at Taz's door awoke me.

Morning Taz, darling, coffee here for you... oh, shit, Luke, I didn't know you were here; morning, Lovely. You know for a minute there I thought Taz needed to tell me something, You okay, Honey, nothing bad happened has it?"

"Hey, Sharon, nah, Dad had a woman stay over last night. I couldn't be in the house when... well, you know."

Taz's Mum laughed, waking Taz up from his slumber. "You'll be that age one day," she said, pointing at me, grinning. "Oh, here he is, back to the land of the living. Coffee here, Love."

Taz stretched out on the bed and sat up on his elbows. "urrrmm, thanks, Mum," came a groggy reply.

"I was just saying to Luke, Love, I didn't recognise who was next to you at first. I thought you'd tried something new last night."

I looked at Taz, grinning seeing him roll his eyes. "No Mum, your son is still straight."

So, let's pause for a minute because this is one of those moments where you wonder if Taz's mother has just noticed what you just have. There are two answers to this question. Either she hasn't, and all is well, or she has and is doing an excellent job of trying to ignore it. Because Taz, who has not even been awake long enough to notice it himself, is sporting a fat boner. And with only one sheet on the bed due to the hot nights we've been enduring, it is clearly showing, laying against his stomach.

"Coffee then, Luke, I'll pop you one up."

"Yeah... yeah, coffee sounds great," I replied super enthusiastically. She smiled and left the room. I looked at Taz.

"What are you staring at?" he asked, as we both looked into each other eyes. I glanced down to his midsection, then back to his face. Taz looked where I had looked. "Hmm, forgot about that."

"Evidently," I said, swinging out of Taz's bed and pulling my bag over to me. "Here, I wonder if she thought we were naked."

"Why does that turn you on?" Taz asked, sarcastically.

"What? Oh God no! I felt Taz get out of bed behind me, and I turned around. "Very modest, aren't you," I said as he stretched out, putting his full tent on display.

"Hey, it's my room, men get erections, and you're my oldest friend." With that, he left the room, heading to the bathroom I expected. Well, anywhere else looking like that would have just been weird. I got dressed.

~

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  

~

Outside in the morning sun, I watched as Taz placed his helmet on and flicked up the visor. He arched his leg and plopped himself on his motorbike, making himself comfortable. "See you tonight?" I asked.

"Yeah, as I said, I'm not doing much, so feel free."

"Cool, okay then, well, I better be off to work. What shift do you have today?"

"Until three, not too bad."

"Be over before you know it."

"Yeah, thanks, but it's not even started yet," Taz replied, shaking his head. I smiled and left him for my car. He started his bike and was off across the driveway onto the road before I'd even reached my door.

Taz worked at McDonalds and hated it. Some days were long for him; the smell got in your hair and clothes, the pay was shit, and most managers were on Hitler-type power trips. His McDonalds stories he told Lee and me were legendary. From the outrageous customers he came across, to burgers being served that were three months out of date. All sorts went on, and three months after he started working there, I have not visited his or any other McDonalds ever since.

~

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  

~

On my way to work, my phone was buzzing like crazy for a few minutes, and I did contemplate pulling over to look at it, wondering whether Taz had had an accident or my Dad was gravely ill. You see, these are the thoughts I have when I have a reason to make a connection to them, which is often. A normal person would probably think their phone was buzzing because a chat was occurring in one of the groups they were in, but not me. My mind went to Defcon one almost every time.

Pulling into Saunders' little eight-space car park... now seven. I shut off the engine and grabbed my phone. It was my Dad, but he had no illness.

[08:14] Dad: Morning Son, are you okay, I expected you home this morning for breakfast??x
[08:14] Dad: thanks for being okay about Elaine staying over.x
[08:14] Dad: By the way, she's gone now, but I guess you must be at work.x
[08:17] Dad: can you text me back, just to say ur okay? x
[08:28] Me: Hi dad, all fine, left for work str8 from Taz's. Hope U had a gd nite. xx
[08:29] Me: Actually, I don't wanna know. See you tonight. xx

I jumped out of my car and jogged into the back entrance, seeing Derek ticking off stock that had arrived.

"Running a little late today, Luke?"

I chucked my phone and lip balm on one of the racks and got straight to work. "Yeah, sorry Derek, I stayed at Taz's last night. His mum insisted I eat breakfast."

"And so you should, young man. Sets you up for the day a good bowl of cereal."

"Getting up early enough is not my strong point," I said, grinning.

"Anyway, this lot needs to go away. It's all here. If you could do that, I'll mind the front? Back is giving me jip this morning."

"Yeah, no probs Derek, leave it to me." I looked at the various boxes that had come in and tried to guess what needed to go straight on the shelves. I always got those to the door that lead out to the shop first. Some stuff you could see inside as it was just in plastic. But the stuff in boxes, you just couldn't tell.

I grabbed a box opener from my 'tray of shit,' as Derek called it, and started zipping across the tape to the first box to see what was inside. Shoehorns!

It was gonna be a long day!

~

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  

~

I'd been at the stock for around three hours now, and everything was just about put away, either on the store shelves or on racks and labelled. About to take a break, Derek appeared behind me and I imagined he'd come to see how I was getting on.

"Luke? There's a guy out front who says his name is Leo? Wants to see you."

"Oh, thanks, Derek, be right out."

What the hell was Leo doing here? I wondered as I put my clipboard and coffee down. I went through to the shop floor and saw him standing at the front counter.

"Lukas, how you doing?"

"Hi Leo, you okay?"

Okay, so let's pause here again, because you need to know - Leo is very easy on the eye. No, in fact, Leo is fucking hot, and he knows it. He could, and frequently does bed any girl he wants. He's got rich, messy golden brown hair that just seems to look nice whichever way he has it. His eyes are deep-set and piercing, and he wears these basketball tops that always show off his fucking gorgeous sunkissed toned arms that you just fantasise will gather you up and hold you tight.

"Taz said to drop by and give you your exclusive half-price ride tickets to the fair he said you are definitely going to."

"He did, did he?"

"Anyway, commission-free, of course."

I rolled my eyes. "How much, Leo?"

"Twenty?"

"Are these legit? Like we won't get thrown out or killed violently for these, will we?"

Leo laughed. "Of course, they're not legit, but look, my pals at the printers swear that this year's tickets are so easy to fake, they had them rolling off their machine in under two hours."

Leo passed me the tickets to have a look. "And what about the serial numbers?" I asked, looking at the tickets intently.

"Luke, relax. Who the hell is gonna check a serial number in the dark when loads of kids are rushing to get on a ride. It's gonna be way too busy. Look, you want them or not?"

"Just one question."

"Shoot, but hurry, I got other clients to see."

"Taz's exact words were that I was definitely going to the fair, was it?"

Leo placed his hand on his chest. "I swear down."

I pulled my wallet out of my back pocket and slapped a twenty into Leo's waiting hand. He clicked the side of his mouth. "Good boy, enjoy. I'll see you there Saturday. With Lee and Taz?"

"Well, seeing as I definitely want to go, I guess I'll be there."

"Catch you later, Luke. Keep it hanging long!"

Leo trotted out of the store, and I looked at Derek, who'd been listening to our conversation.

"What a grotesque individual," Derek said, his arms folded, shaking his head.

I doubled over laughing. "He's...he's, haha, he's..."

"It was like watching an episode of Love Island."

"Noooor, stop it, my stomach hurts, hahahaha."

"Better get back to work then, that will make it better."

"Yes Boss!"

Copyright © 2022 James Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 17
  • Haha 2
Trying a different style and a couple of new things in this book and my only benchmark on how that is going is you, my loyal readers. So I have a small favour. Please do click a like if you're enjoying the story and please do recommend the book. If you have a thought or comment I'd be made up to hear what you think. All feedback is relished and of course I do love hearing your ideas, opinions and banter. Many thanks, folks! Now, let go forth on to the next chapter :) 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 6/21/2022 at 4:49 AM, James Matthews said:

I'm glad you can relate to Luke! haha, seems I am channelling that relative of yours. 😮 

I'll keep as much slang in as I can but I don't want it to become unreadable LOL

Thanks for the comments Dr, always good to get your thoughts. Though I am nearly always cracking up from them :D 

I'm in agreement with the good doctor.  Keep the slang, idioms and words in the story that reflect the setting.  They enrich the story and educate us for when we tourists visit the UK.  Besides, we can probably figure out the meaning from the context, or like me look it up on the internet if I'm curious.  

I am definitely getting into the story.  Elaine is even worse than I expected.  Len call Luke out for rudeness, but it should have been Elaine.  She has no relationship with Luke at this point on which to base her words.  

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..