Jump to content
    jian_sierra
  • Author
  • 2,078 Words
  • 1,732 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lessons In Life - 1. Chapter 1

This is the first part of a three-part short story. Hope you guys enjoy it.

I stepped off the bus with an indifferent expression on my face. The ride wasn’t to my liking, not that I had any control over the situation. Two days ago, I had everything I wanted and more. Now I’m here?

 

Smirking, I thought about my parents and how stupid they were. If this was their idea of setting me straight, they made a huge mistake. They should fire whoever it was that came up with the idea. I mean, who would send their gay son to an all-boys’ school? This is like a dream come true for me. I should be happy.

 

I thought about the life I left behind and my expression turned sour. They took away something I needed badly, my freedom. But what could I do? Dad used his trump card—his riches—something I required more than freedom. Anyone used to the wealthy lifestyle would understand. All I have to do is endure this shit for one year and I’ll be free to do whatever I want.

 

From afar, I noticed the towering gate and fences which surrounded the school. After the carefree life I led, I felt like a prisoner. Even if I should change my mind, I had no one to return to. I made sure of that when I chose Dad’s money over Xander. Fuck him, he should understand of all people. One year and I’d be back, was that so freaking hard to comprehend? His loss.

 

Yeah, right. So why am I hurting?

 

My eyes roamed the archaic buildings. The architecture reminded me of old churches back home. Lowering my gaze, I saw a few students tending the garden. Chores? A satisfied smile crossed my face when I noticed some students look at me with interest.

 

Vanity fueled my ego. I knew that I look good and the knowledge made me arrogant. As I made my way to the school entrance, a swagger accompanied my steps. Pity those who would fall for my charm. Not that they could resist, I always get what I want.

 

A tall guy with short blonde hair caught my attention. Blonde guys are such a turn on. I made sure not to look at the guy directly. If I showed interest, I’d lose him. Wiping perspiration from my forehead, I loosened a button of my shirt, enough so that my firm chest could be seen. This way, he’d be the one begging to spend the night with me.

 

My fantasy was interrupted by a soft tap on my shoulder. Turning around, the blonde guy was forced out of my mind. I found myself looking into sparkling green eyes. The unsmiling face regarded me with disapproval. As if I care. Whoever this was, I’d have him.

 

With my left eyebrow raised slightly, I smiled, showing perfect white teeth. I wondered what tricks I had to pull to get this guy. Stepping forward, our bodies became inches apart. “Hey, are you here to welcome me?”

 

The disapproval dissipated from his face. “Yes.”

 

“Well just so you know, you’re not very welcoming. Why don’t you just make yourself useful then?” I offered him one of the luggages I had with me.

 

Ignoring the bag I offered, he regarded me with a strained smile on his face. “Welcome. Please follow me.”

 

What did I do? Scowling, I followed him inside the building. Just who does he think he is? Despite his coldness, I couldn’t help but admire the confident way he walked. Much cooler than my swagger, dammit!

 

I dumped my stuff at the foot of the stairs. “Hey, wait.”

 

He looked down on me with his arms crossed in front of him. “If you think I’m helping you with those...”

 

Shaking my head, I said, “Nah. I think we started off on the wrong foot. I’m sorry, ok?”

 

His eyebrows rose in the air. “You think?”

 

My eyes narrowed while my jaw clenched. This guy is really asking for it. “I think I already said I’m sorry.”

 

As he studied my face, his expression mellowed. He stepped down and picked up the biggest bag I had.

 

“You don’t need to do that,” I protested. “I can handle it.”

 

He watched me, his eyes focusing on my chest and arms. When his gaze moved to my face, he blushed which made me smile.

 

He quickly turned away. “I’m sure you can. Consider this as my apology for the way I acted earlier.”

 

The only sound that could be heard was our footsteps as we moved up the grand staircase in silence. We made a right on the center where the staircase divided. While walking, I entertained the thoughts of getting this guy into bed. He’s interested, that much is for sure. All I needed to do was hook him. I had a feeling it would take a lot of effort, but it would be worth it. This guy’s a prized catch.

 

“So what’s your name?” He had a serious expression on his face when I turned to him.

 

He sighed as he shook his head. “The proper thing to do would be to introduce yourself then who knows? I might just give you my name.”

 

Seriously, this guy has a problem. “My name’s Clive.”

 

We had been walking for a couple of minutes before he said anything. “You can call me Philip. For now.”

 

“Nice to meet you, Phil.” I saw his body shudder. “But what do you mean by ‘for now’?”

 

“You’ll know soon enough.” He stopped in front of a mahogany door and placed the bag he carried on his feet. “This will be your room for the rest of the year. You’re expected to meet with the headmaster first thing tomorrow morning to sort out your schedule. Any questions?”

 

What time are we going to meet tonight? Your room or mine? “Nothing. For now. I guess I’ll see you around.”

 

His face remained impassive despite of the special smile I had for him. “You might.”

 

He didn’t make any move to go, but he kept his gaze on the floor. When he looked up, our eyes met and my eyebrows creased as I tried to discern the expression on his face. There was something about it I couldn’t place. A mixture of longing and extreme dislike? But how could that be, this is the first time we’ve met. As far as I knew, I hadn’t done anything to piss him off.

 

The heck with subtlety. “Phil—”

 

“I hope you enjoy your stay.” He slid his hands in his pockets and walked away.

 

Cursing under my breath, I opened the door and hauled my luggage inside. The room—my room—was small, smaller than what I was used to anyway. Without bothering to unpack, I plopped myself on the bed.

 

All I could think about was Philip, damn him. As I closed my eyes, a vision of his handsome face appeared in my mind. I thought my anger would increase, but it didn’t. There was something soothing about him which dissolved my annoyance. Why does he have this effect on me? I felt so powerless.

 

I tried to think about Xander and my old lifestyle, but Philip wouldn’t let me. He had taken over during the time I spent with him. Grabbing a pillow, I covered my face with it. This wasn’t how things should be. A sudden realization made me jump to my feet.

 

I always get what I want and tomorrow, he’s going to be mine. I’d make him fall for me, play with him then leave him while he begged me not to.

 

A sinister smile appeared on my face. Tomorrow’s going to be interesting.

 

*************************

 

The headmaster, a large old guy with a bushy moustache, studied my face with intent. Trying my best not to show any emotion, I held his gaze. If this guy thought he could scare me, he was dead wrong.

 

“Your father has told us you’re an artist?” He said the last word as if he couldn’t believe it by looking at me.

 

I crossed my arms in front of me. “I can draw, what’s it to you?”

 

He cringed at my words. “This school specializes in the arts, my boy. What medium are you used to?”

 

“Charcoal,” I spat. The cold smile on his face had me on edge. He dislikes me as much as I him.

 

His head bowed slowly. “Before long, you’ll be skilled on all the different kinds of media related to painting. Your father has chosen well. This school will do you a lot of good.”

 

“My father has paid a lot of money as well.” I kept my eyes on the headmaster’s face, but his smile never faltered.

 

Ignoring my last comment, he declared, “So if you’re amenable to your schedule, there’s only one thing I need to ask. What can you contribute to the school?”

 

His penetrating gaze focused on my eyes while I looked back at him with defiance. A real smile appeared on his face for the first time since I arrived in his office. “Don’t worry, young man. I’m sure you’ll find out how to make the school proud with proper guidance.”

 

I rose from my seat, but he motioned for me to sit back down. “Since you’ll need to buy your books and other necessities, I’ve asked Mr. Miller to accompany you to town.”

 

“Mr. Miller?” I asked.

 

Slightly, his eyebrows rose in the air. “Surely you remember Mr. Miller? He was the professor who welcomed you yesterday.”

 

So the reason Phil was pissed yesterday was due to being forced by this Mr. Miller to welcome me? I knew it couldn’t have been because of me. “Yeah I remember. Just slipped my mind for a bit. Thanks for having me here, Headmaster. I’ll do my best to make the school proud.”

 

With grim faces, we shook hands. I quickly made my way outside and as I closed the door to the headmaster’s room, I sighed in relief. He was definitely someone I should be wary of. For some reason, he seemed immune to my charm.

 

Now to take care of Mr. Miller. I’d make him pay for the trouble he caused me with Phil. Searching the people near the headmaster’s room, I got a surprise when my eyes landed on Phil’s disapproving face.

 

My face broke into a grin. “Hey, I’m glad you’re here. I think I kinda understand what happened. Mr. Miller made you welcome me yesterday, didn’t he? That was why you were pissed? I’m sorry. I had no idea, believe me.”

 

His face contorted into a scowl which wasn’t the expression I expected.

 

“Oh shit. Don’t tell me Mr. Miller made you meet me here?” I saw as his green eyes darkened. “Phil, don’t worry about it, ok? You don’t need to accompany me to town. I’ll talk to Mr. Miller or to the Headmaster if I need to. Someone should put a stop to Mr. Miller’s laziness.”

 

Balling his hand into a fist, he said in a strained voice, “I’m Mr. Miller.”

 

He spun on his heel and I watched him as he moved away. Great, I made things worse. Mr. Philip Miller darted a corner and with a shake of my head, I followed him. Keeping a safe distance away from him, I noticed the droop on his shoulders. His gait seemed distracted.

 

Dreading to face him, my heart thumped hard against my chest when I saw him stop on the school’s main gate. I halted my steps, wary of his movements. He stood still. Waiting? For me? My mind entertained the thoughts of going back to the school building, but then I remembered who I was. I’m Clive Brown. He should be the one afraid of me. With confident strides, I lessened the distance separating us.

 

“Let’s go,” I said as I walked past him.

 

“Wait,” he called after me in barely a whisper.

 

I slowed down my steps, but continued on my way.

 

“Let’s get one thing clear, I don’t like you.”

If you like the story (or didn't like it), please let me know. Your feedback will help me get better. Thanks for reading.
Copyright © 2011 jian_sierra; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I love the start. The arrogance and the vanity and the "swagger" of Clive... **sigh** Am I an idiot to think he is sexy even if he is sorta silly and a bad boy. I just see he has not learned a thing in his life yet. Teach him good, will you!

 

Thank you Jian. You rock my world with your stories so keep doing what you are doing!

 

This is the first story ever written to me (and yes I did ask for it) and might be the last one too (I hope it wont) :P but it will always have a special place in my heart.

Link to comment

I won't even ask why you wrote this for Maria :)

 

The first chapter has certainly caught my attention. Phil sounds very interesting and I hope that he has the balls to stand up to Clive and not let him walk all over him. Clive is an ass and, unlike Maria I don't find him sexy at all. That's not the kind of 'bad boy' that appeals to me. But I'm looking forward to finding out how he gets punished.

 

Fine work as always

Link to comment

Hmmm, it's interesting different people's opinions on the bad boy. See, I see the potential for change, and that draws me into the character. I want, really want to see him slowly realize he's a bit of a prick and change.

 

So, actually, I find it fun to follow someone who's got a ways to grow and learn. :) But to me there is something quite hot about a guy with confidence. Clive seems to have that in spades.

 

Only confusion I had, but then I think I was just slow, was when the principal mentioned Mr. Miller. I thought he was talking about another teacher and then when Phil said he was Mr Miller I thought, whoa this is going to be a very tense and interesting conflict... :P

 

Anyhow, thanks for the read. :D (How many projects do you have on the go now? LOL) :P

Link to comment

This is not really a review of this chapter but rather a thought or two on why your writing style works, in my opinion: you always give readers so much with your characters: they are rich of feelings and emotions, of motives and past dramas; they have depth. And also, your trademark perfect mix of serious and comic moments, with a pinch of suspense to spice it up.

 

I'm already sad that this will only be 3 chapters :P

Link to comment

WOW! Thats all i'll say for now.. :) looking forward to the next chapters!! :D :D :D got me hooked for sure :D

Link to comment

well I agree with nephy, arrogance like that is one of my pet hates and in real life turns me off to no end :P

 

However I am looking forward to how it plays out between Clive and Phil. Clive needs taking down a peg or two hopefully that happens :)

 

Great start dont keep us in suspenders for too long :P

Link to comment
On 04/16/2011 05:05 AM, Marzipan said:
I love the start. The arrogance and the vanity and the "swagger" of Clive... **sigh** Am I an idiot to think he is sexy even if he is sorta silly and a bad boy. I just see he has not learned a thing in his life yet. Teach him good, will you!

 

Thank you Jian. You rock my world with your stories so keep doing what you are doing!

 

This is the first story ever written to me (and yes I did ask for it) and might be the last one too (I hope it wont) :P but it will always have a special place in my heart.

Hey Maria, of course this won't be the last story written for you. I MIGHT write you one again, but please not anytime soon hehe. I think I have so many ongoing stories right now **sigh** But still, I am enjoying writing this story. So thank you for asking me to write this.
Link to comment
On 04/16/2011 05:15 AM, Nephylim said:
I won't even ask why you wrote this for Maria :)

 

The first chapter has certainly caught my attention. Phil sounds very interesting and I hope that he has the balls to stand up to Clive and not let him walk all over him. Clive is an ass and, unlike Maria I don't find him sexy at all. That's not the kind of 'bad boy' that appeals to me. But I'm looking forward to finding out how he gets punished.

 

Fine work as always

Well you didn't ask, but I'll explain anyway. This story 'happened' through chat. I let slip that I used to do story requests on a certain Facebook group. So Maria said if I can write her one and as I don't let any writing opportunity pass, I agreed. Although, yeah, this is a bit hard to do because the storyline was very specific. Usually, the story requester would say something like 'write me a story with my name on it' or something like that. But again, I'm enjoying writing this and I thank you for reading it. Hope the read was worth it.
Link to comment
On 04/16/2011 05:21 AM, AnytaSunday said:
Hmmm, it's interesting different people's opinions on the bad boy. See, I see the potential for change, and that draws me into the character. I want, really want to see him slowly realize he's a bit of a prick and change.

 

So, actually, I find it fun to follow someone who's got a ways to grow and learn. :) But to me there is something quite hot about a guy with confidence. Clive seems to have that in spades.

 

Only confusion I had, but then I think I was just slow, was when the principal mentioned Mr. Miller. I thought he was talking about another teacher and then when Phil said he was Mr Miller I thought, whoa this is going to be a very tense and interesting conflict... :P

 

Anyhow, thanks for the read. :D (How many projects do you have on the go now? LOL) :P

Anyta, thank you so much for reading. You're very supportive, as always, and I appreciate that a lot. I thought of not making Clive sound perfect physically, but then I realized that his attitude is already off. Anyway, yeah I have three ongoing projects now **sigh** I'll finish all of them somehow.
Link to comment
On 04/16/2011 05:24 AM, Bleu said:
This is not really a review of this chapter but rather a thought or two on why your writing style works, in my opinion: you always give readers so much with your characters: they are rich of feelings and emotions, of motives and past dramas; they have depth. And also, your trademark perfect mix of serious and comic moments, with a pinch of suspense to spice it up.

 

I'm already sad that this will only be 3 chapters :P

Heya Bleu, well I much prefer to make this short story into a full blown one, but as I don't have that much time to write I think you'll understand. And hm, you certainly know how to make a guy's day. Thanks for your thought or two. But most of all, thanks for reading.
Link to comment
On 04/16/2011 06:28 AM, Frostina said:
WOW! Thats all i'll say for now.. :) looking forward to the next chapters!! :D :D :D got me hooked for sure :D
:D Oh well, I try Frosty. This is only a short story so hopefully you'll get to see the remaining two chapters soon. Thanks for reading!
Link to comment
On 04/16/2011 08:16 AM, Agaith said:
well I agree with nephy, arrogance like that is one of my pet hates and in real life turns me off to no end :P

 

However I am looking forward to how it plays out between Clive and Phil. Clive needs taking down a peg or two hopefully that happens :)

 

Great start dont keep us in suspenders for too long :P

Stu, sorry you don't like Clive. On my part, I like him for the mere fact that I enjoy writing him. I struggle when writing on his perspective as it feels so alien to me. I'm not as confident as he is so yeah this writing experience is great for me. And you'll not be in suspenders for long as this is only a short story. Thanks!
Link to comment

Hooked already! i really liked this start to the story - Clive's character is a great one ; lots of potential!!!

And i got that Philip was actually Mr. Miller straight away- and loved watching Clive still not putting two and two together.

Even MORE potential!! MWa ha ha! Seriously good! Can't wait to read more!

 

 

Link to comment
On 04/16/2011 09:41 PM, Zolia Lily said:
Hooked already! i really liked this start to the story - Clive's character is a great one ; lots of potential!!!

And i got that Philip was actually Mr. Miller straight away- and loved watching Clive still not putting two and two together.

Even MORE potential!! MWa ha ha! Seriously good! Can't wait to read more!

 

Hey Lily (hope you don't mind me calling you that). I'm glad you enjoy the first part. Currently working on the next two chapters. Hopefully you enjoy those two. Thanks for reading and the review :)
Link to comment

Oh Jian :)

 

I am hooked.

 

Your writing style is good :) A few things that need chopping and moving about but otherwise well done :)

 

Looking forward to reading chapter 2 :)

Link to comment
On 05/03/2011 07:11 AM, Johnathan Colourfield said:
Oh Jian :)

 

I am hooked.

 

Your writing style is good :) A few things that need chopping and moving about but otherwise well done :)

 

Looking forward to reading chapter 2 :)

Hey John, I didn't avail the services of a beta-reader and editor for this story, sorry. This was meant to be a short story anyway so I didn't see the point. But thinking about it, maybe I should have hehe. Anyway, it was done and I'm not ashamed of what I've done. Hope you enjoy the rest.
Link to comment
On 06/06/2011 06:57 AM, charlieocho said:
Chapter 1 is off to a good start. Definitely looking forward to the rest.
Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoy the rest :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..