Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Winter - Aftermath Entry

The Love Song of Dr. J E Cristpin - 1. The Love Song of Dr. J E Cristpin

“Let us go then you and I… I grow old… Till human voices wake us, and we drown” – The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S. Eliot

 

 

 

If ever I would leave you,

 

Remember this.

 

I remember us as the fledgling young creatures,

 

Wandering around the greenery.

 

Our lives ahead of us, with a smile upon our faces.

 

 

 

Everything is different now.

 

The music that plays is of a quieter, darker tone now.

 

 

 

If ever I would leave you,

 

Remember this.

 

I remember our final school days,

 

A kiss behind the bike sheds; a feel in the locker room,

 

No-one there to watch us, to judge us.

 

Our lives ahead of us, with hope in our eyes.

 

 

 

Everything is different now,

 

The clocks have stopped and I must go on…

 

 

 

If ever I should leave you,

 

Remember this.

 

I remember when we parted,

 

Three years, that was all it was.

 

Three years of learning and development.

 

Our lives ahead of us; a kiss on each other’s cheek.

 

 

 

Everything is different now.

 

Nature is no longer pleasure for me, only pain…

 

 

 

If ever I should leave you,

 

Remember this.

 

The day we met was the day I lost you,

 

Your hair was parted and you had grown.

 

No longer the cheeky boy I knew so many years ago.

 

Your life had changed and so had you.

 

 

 

Everything is different now,

 

Autumn’s touch has left us now, to a tale of winter’s gone…

 

 

 

If ever I could leave you,

 

Remember this.

 

The day we joined each other,

 

Through unrivalled chance of fate,

 

The love had been rekindled.

 

Your face was now forever mine…

 

 

 

Everything is different now,

 

The birds no longer sing a spring time tune.

 

 

 

So remember,

 

If ever I should leave you, in some uncommon way,

 

Remember the love we once shared.

 

 

 

Remember our wedding day…

 

 

 

**

 

 

 

The bells would chime and music would come,

 

The rabbits ran past on that bright summer day.

 

I returned to that church, one fateful day

 

When there was no beauty anymore.

 

A winter’s graveyard and a miser’s tale…

 

 

 

So remember,

 

If ever I would leave you, through beauty’s common gaze,

 

Remember the love we once shared.

 

 

 

Remember your…

 

 

 

Remember…

 

 

 

The bells would chime and the mourners would come,

 

If ever I should leave you, on some frightful day…

 

 

 

If ever you should leave me,

 

Everything is different now,

 

Nature no longer runs wind through my hair

 

And the angels no longer answer to my prayers.

 

 

 

If ever you could leave me,

 

The bitter cold by you now; is my only friend…

 

 

 

Snowflakes In December.

 

 

 

Discuss this poem

Copyright © 2011 Johnathan Colourfield; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Winter - Aftermath Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 12/17/2011 05:27 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
JC,

 

Wow! I'm really not sure what to say, that was emotional, amazing, truly wonderful.

Andy

I love poetry like this.

 

I write like the wind when i get a theme; and a poem to base it on :P

Link to comment

That was very touching and from the heart. Was it also born of personal experience? It was well worth the read. Well done.

Link to comment
On 12/18/2011 08:20 AM, Bill W said:
That was very touching and from the heart. Was it also born of personal experience? It was well worth the read. Well done.
i got inspired by TS Eliot and i wrote it as if i was that character; but changing it so it fit the gay idea. Although it would have worked from any perspective :)
Link to comment

not bad, cakes, not bad... you're getting there. keep working it.

you are putting together something for the poetry antho, right?

Link to comment
On 12/18/2011 08:13 PM, Lugh said:
not bad, cakes, not bad... you're getting there. keep working it.

you are putting together something for the poetry antho, right?

I will be putting something together most definately :P it was my theme after all :P
Link to comment

The possibilities in poetry are endless. And touchingly intimate. The hints of understanding and acceptance. It is our souls and art. Enjoyed the experience.

Link to comment

JC,

Now what can I say that hasn't been commented on already? I like your use of the original. Yes, I have read it. You took an idea reworked it and made it completely your own. For the beautiful approach, tender feelings, and careful word choice I commend you. I really did enjoy this.

 

Wayne

Link to comment

What sadness the leaving of our loved one can be, and you captured it beautifully. I was in awe of this writing John. Just ventured into, and received a wonderful gift here.:)

Link to comment
On 12/22/2011 08:40 PM, Foster said:
The possibilities in poetry are endless. And touchingly intimate. The hints of understanding and acceptance. It is our souls and art. Enjoyed the experience.
thank you very much sam :)
Link to comment
On 12/30/2011 05:03 PM, comicfan said:
JC,

Now what can I say that hasn't been commented on already? I like your use of the original. Yes, I have read it. You took an idea reworked it and made it completely your own. For the beautiful approach, tender feelings, and careful word choice I commend you. I really did enjoy this.

 

Wayne

thank you wayne :) i'm glad you liked it :)
Link to comment
On 07/11/2012 08:58 AM, joann414 said:
What sadness the leaving of our loved one can be, and you captured it beautifully. I was in awe of this writing John. Just ventured into, and received a wonderful gift here.:)
Aww thank you so much joann :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..