Jump to content
    Justin4Fun
  • Author
  • 4,366 Words
  • 1,062 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This is Book 2 of the "New Reality" Series; reading 'Re-Birth', Book 1, is highly recommended.

Re-Forging - 6. Chapter 6

When I stopped feeding and licked the wound so it would heal, I looked up to find Scott and Billy sitting with us and enjoying some wine. As my mind cleared, I heard Scott and James discussing how I was learning and James suggesting that Scott try it. Taking James’ other wrist, Scott dropped his fangs and bit. Several minutes later, he released the wrist, licked the wound, and looked up.

“I couldn’t do it, Dad. I guess it has to do with him being a changeling and your mental connection.”

James turned to me. “You’ve been focused on my languages; have you learned anything?”

“I don’t know if I have or not. Maybe it’s too soon,” I heard Scott gasp. I looked up to see him staring at me in shock. “What?” I asked.

“Dad asked that in German, and you replied perfectly. The accent even sounded like Opa.” After a pause, Scott asked me, “Do you know any others?”

I thought for a moment, then realized that he had asked me in Greek. I replied in that language, “I guess I’ve learned Greek as well.” I smirked. “Like to try again?”

We spent the next ten minutes switching between German, Greek, and Romanian. James also discovered I had learned an Old Slavic Church dialect that he spoke, but Scott didn’t. As we were switching through the languages, Donna joined us. When Scott tried a language James didn’t know, Donna would identify it as one she knew. When James explained how I had sought out knowledge and learned language from him, she suggested I try doing the same with her.

“I doubt it will work, hon. Scott couldn’t do it with me, so we think it’s part of the changeling-maker bond,” James stated.

“We’ll never know if we don’t try,” Donna said. Offering me her wrist, she added, “I’m willing if you are.”

Getting a shrug from Scott, I gently took Donna’s wrist and let my fangs drop. As soon as I tasted her blood, my mind sought the connection and found it. I was very careful not to look for anything but her language centers, as she hadn’t offered me anything else. When I found them, I started absorbing the knowledge. It felt like we were connected for hours before I finally released her wrist and licked the wound. All eyes were on me as I looked up.

“Well, did you learn anything?” Scott asked with raised eyebrows.

I gave him a smirk and replied, "Very much," in the language he used. It reminded me of French, but a bit different. Donna mentioned it was Occitan, or maybe Old Provençal French.

Billy tried a few languages he knew, and we discovered that Scott, Billy, and I had French, German, Latin, and Greek in common. Billy and Scott also spoke Spanish and Italian, while Scott and I shared Romanian and Dutch. Billy told us he also spoke Hebrew and Gaelic. When I bragged that I was such a cunning linguist that I also spoke fluent English, they both threw seat cushions at me.

We were putting the cushions back in place when I scented Chris. I focused and could hear him walking through the main floor. “We’re on the terrace if you’re looking for us, Chris,” I called out. A moment later, he joined us.

“So, did ya learn how to vampire? Or whatever you went to do?” Chris asked playfully.

Before I could reply, Billy said, “We think he did fine with the practicals, but there will be a fifty-question test at noon. That’s when we find out if he’s really got what it takes.”

Chris wasn’t sure what to make of Billy’s answer until Scott and I couldn’t hold back our laughter. He glared at us until we finally stopped laughing. “Seriously, did you learn what you need to know so you can go back home tomorrow?"

I smiled at his concern and assured him that, yes, I would be able to go home tomorrow and go to court on Friday. My confidence weakened when he asked if I could face Brian and the twins on Saturday, as we’d agreed. Sensing my concern, my beast chose this moment to suggest we kill them if they cause me a problem.

“No, we’re not killing my friends,” I said out loud.

Everyone stopped and stared at me. When I explained, “Sorry, that was for my beast,” five vampires nodded, and one human gaped at me.

“Your what? And who said you should kill someone?” Chris asked, incredulous.

I looked around for help, but there was none coming. The only thing I got was a slight nod from James that I took to mean that it was okay to tell Chris everything, which I did. I made the mistake of even telling him how my beast wanted to rush to the house to feed on the humans inside. I flinched at the face he made and quickly explained that I had ‘him’ under control. Finally, after telling him all about our evening in the woods, Chris asked what I knew he would.

“So, can I see him?”

Before I could reply, James said, “Chris, look at me.” When Chris turned, James stared into his eyes. “You will not be afraid. You will see, remember, and know that you are in no danger. Do you understand?”

I could tell that James had enthralled Chris, and my beast was upset that he didn’t get to scare the human. I was very appreciative of James’ preventing a bad reaction and told him so, mind to mind. When Chris nodded to James, he turned to me, eager to see ‘the monster’ we had told him about.

I sighed and stood, then decided to just go for it. ‘Please, can I eat him?’ I heard just before I let the beast out and shifted.

I told you, he’s a friend. No eating my friends.’ I replied as we snarled at Chris.

‘You’re no fun,’ he whined, then added, ‘and neither is an enthralled human,’ after getting no reaction from Chris. He was even more hurt when Chris reached out to touch our ears and claws with a look of wonder on his face.

“Show me your fangs, dude,” Chris said, sounding every bit like an eight-year-old in a chocolate factory.

We opened our mouth, and the beast did his best to growl but to no avail. James’ enthrallment was keeping any fear suppressed. When my beast gave up and withdrew into his space, my body changed back to human, and I burst out laughing. When everyone looked at me, I explained.

“Chris’ lack of fear hurt his feelings. He took his toys and went home!”

Again, the vampires laughed while I had to explain it a bit more before Chris joined in the laughter.

‘It’s not funny. We’re a monster from legends; grown men cower when they see us.’

Get over it. Even without the enthrallment, Chris knows I would never allow you to hurt him. You know it too, so behave and let me show him the vampire. Then we can go hunting with Scott and Billy.

That seemed to appease him, and he let me shift into my vampire form. As if on cue, Scott and Billy also shifted, and Chris spent the next few minutes examining our ears and fingernails. When he reached for my fangs, I pushed his hand away.

“Don’t; not yet. I’d hate to taste your blood and have a bad reaction. Let me get used to it first, okay, bro?”

Chris smirked and reached for my fangs again. “Like you’d ever hurt me or allow your beast to. I’m safer here with you than I am at home.”

I looked from Chris to James. “Is that the enthrallment talking, or does he really feel that way?”

Chris turned to James. "You said I can’t lie to you in this state. Ask me.”

James glanced at me, and I nodded, so he asked, “Chris, if not for the enthrallment, would you have any fear of Greg harming you?”

“Greg would never harm me or any of our friends,” Chris began, his voice filled with conviction. “He'd risk his own life to protect us. I can’t speak for everyone, but I'm certain that Brian and the twins would feel the same. We'd all risk our lives for Greg, Scott, or any member of our gang.” Chris's sincerity was so heartfelt that it brought a tear to my eye.

That is until my beast had to comment, ‘I like this human. We should protect him.’ I hope no one saw me roll my eyes.

James looked at me and said, “Rather than my releasing Chris, I think you should try your hand at enthralling him. Are you up for it?”

I shrugged. “Sure, I’m up for it, but how do I do it? I mean, I was watching you when you did it, and I saw nothing other than you making eye contact and giving him an order. It can’t be that simple!”

James, Tommy, and Donna explained that the eye contact and vocal command I'd seen were merely the surface. I needed to tap into the target's emotions, delve into their mind, and, through that connection, access their brain's control centers to ensure my voice superseded any internal commands. They all encouraged me by saying that I’d already done it by accident, so I should have no problem doing it again.

When I heard my beast say, ‘I doubt you can do it’, I realized that he wasn't just the embodiment of my anger, jealousy, and violence. He also represented my deepest fears, insecurities, and feelings of guilt and shame. Rather than spend time arguing with him, er, myself, I turned my attention to Chris.

I could sense his calm confidence that I wouldn’t hurt him, and as I tried to push my mind into his, I realized that I could actually sense individual thoughts. Thoughts like, ‘Is he trying yet?’, ‘Is it working?’, ‘Am I resisting?’. When I pushed the thought, ‘You’re fine. I haven’t tried yet.’ I saw the shock on his face, telling me that he had heard it. We made eye contact, and I tried to push my will into his mind; I felt it when he surrendered. He did not.

Knowing I had a connection, I sent the command: ‘Stand up’. James and Tommy were watching, and when Chris stood, they looked at me, intrigued. To test it further, I sent, ‘Go get the blood from the refrigerator’. When Chris walked into the house, I was smiling like the Cheshire Cat.

Once Chris was inside, James asked, “Greg?” drawing out my name in a long, questioning tone, “Did you give him a command, or did he just walk away on his own?”

“While I was enthralling him, I made a connection with his mind, like you said. I just assumed the connection was strong enough to give him commands, so I did. Don’t you do that?”

James slowly shook his head, then turned to Tommy, who said, “I’ve never seen anyone give commands non-verbally, Greg. Not even Prince George.”

Before I could reply, Chris came back with a pitcher in his hand. When I smelled it, I realized my mistake. When he handed it to me, I quickly handed it to Billy and said, “Take this. He brought me that nasty shit you drink, dude. What the fuck is it, anyway?”

Billy laughed and replied, “Sheep. I’m the only one in the house who likes it.”

Scott nodded and said, “Yeah, I got brave and tasted it once; I almost puked.”

“Tasted it? I’m almost puking from smelling it!” I exclaimed. I looked at Chris and said, “Now go get the other pitcher, the one that actually tastes good.”

Chris looked confused but went back inside and returned with the stag. As I filled my glass, I asked James and Tommy for their opinions on how I had done something others couldn’t. James had no ideas, but Tommy had a short conversation with Leonard, then turned to James.

“It could simply be that telepathy is his ability. That’s what Lenny thinks. He’s going to talk to Frederick about it and get back to me in the morning.”

James was nodding, considering this. I was confused, so I asked, “Um, my ability? What do you mean by that?”

“Some vampires have, well,” he paused in thought, then pressed on, “You’ve seen the sparkly movies, right?”

Every vampire groaned as I said, “Yeah, and I know we don’t sparkle, so what are you saying?”

Tommy smirked as he said, “No, we don’t sparkle, but movies and stories get pretty close to the truth sometimes, and that one did hit on one subject quite accurately. Some vampires have additional abilities. Usually, just one, though it is rumored that Vlad had three, and not all of us have one. In fact, most of us do not. I’ve also heard that it’s more common in changelings, so your having the ability to speak telepathically isn’t unheard of.”

“So now I’m some kind of psychic vampire Baron? Is that what you’re saying?”

Shrugging, he replied, “Well, you are a Baron and a vampire. I don’t know about the psychic part, but you’ve shown that you have telepathic abilities that none of us have. I’d be curious to test it if you’re willing.”

Taking the hint, I concentrated and found a connection in my mind that I identified as Tommy. I sent, Testing, testing, one, two, three.’

Tommy’s expression told me he had heard it. It only took him a moment to sort out his connections and reply, Copy you loud and clear, My Lord.

I rolled my eyes. “I guess I am a psychic vampire Baron. Can I do this with anyone? Human and vampire?”

“Only time will tell, Greg. I would advise keeping this under wraps until we explore it a bit more.” James looked around to make sure everyone understood it was to be kept secret. He then pushed on, asking, “Is there more to it? By that, I mean, is there more that you’re able to do?”

I thought for a second. “Well, when I was focused on Chris and trying to enthrall him, I found I could read his thoughts. That’s when I got the idea of sending him the command that way. Is that normal?”

James slowly shook his head. “Avoid the word ‘normal’, Greg, and no, I cannot read actual thoughts; I can read emotions. Tommy?”

“No, My Lord. I, too, can read a human’s emotions but not their thoughts. Unless I’m feeding from them, of course, but you knew that, right?”

“Scott had mentioned it, yes. And James said that when he drained me, he saw all my thoughts and memories, so I kinda figured it was nor… er, typical?” James nodded, so I went on, “Can you get thoughts from a vampire you feed from? Can you enthrall another vampire?”

Tommy looked to James, who said, “I know a noble can read a lower vampire by feeding from them, but I’ve never heard of the reverse. And I’ve not heard of a vampire ever being under another’s thrall. Again, these are things you might want to ask Prince George when you meet with him next week.”

Already on it, My Lord. I heard in my mind, in Billy’s voice. My glance in his direction told everyone that he had spoken to me mind to mind.

Chris interrupted with, “Well if you’re not going to enthrall me, I’m going to bed. Dad says we’re leaving around nine.”

I started to say something, but James tapped my arm and gave me a slight shake of his head. Once Chris was gone, he said, “Unless you object, I’d like you to leave it in effect; see how long it lasts. Maybe even test the range of your mental connection with him.”

“As long as it’s not going to hurt him in any way, I’m fine with that.”

James reassured me, “Nothing has changed in him other than the fact that you can plant suggestions or commands, Greg. He’ll be perfectly fine.”

“He’ll be fine, Greg,” Tommy agreed. “Now, if you boys are going back out, I’d like to join you, if I may?”

Before I could answer, Scott looked at his parents and said, “Come with us. It’s been forever since we’ve all gone out in the woods at night.”

Donna shook her head. “I’d love to, honey, but we have human guests. If they woke up and found the house empty, what would they think?”

“Your mother’s right, Scott. We’ll all go out later this summer, I promise. Just not tonight.” James said before Scott could argue. “I think we’ll spend the evening reading. You boys, go have fun; be home before dawn. You too, Tommy. Make sure they show you the property lines.”

“That was part of why I asked to join them, James. I don’t want to intrude, but His Lordship needs to get used to me or Lenny tagging along.”

I glared at Tommy. “I’m not getting out of this ‘Lordship’ stuff, am I?”

When he smirked, I knew what was coming. “No, Your Lordship, you are not. And as I said, I won’t object to you boys having your fun tonight, but in the future, I cannot allow you to be alone.”

‘Who does he think he is? Doesn’t he work for us?’ my beast roared in my head. I ignored him and said, “We will have to come to some middle ground, Thomas. Tonight’s not the time or place for that discussion, though, and yes, if you’d like to join us, you’re welcome to do so. If you do join us, it is as our new friend, not a bodyguard, agreed?”

“With respect, My Lord, I think it best we get this out of the way now. Permission to speak freely?” When I nodded, Tommy pressed on, “I am never, nor will I ever be, not a bodyguard. The only thing that will change that is my death or you removing me from my position. I understand that having security around you all the time is new to you, but I would be remiss in my responsibilities if I allowed you to put yourself at risk.”

“I apologize, Tommy; I didn’t mean to suggest that you not do your job. I was simply saying that I’ve learned a lot from you this evening, and I’d like to see a friendship grow alongside our professional relationship. I’m sure that we will argue and both push at times, but I’m sure we’ll come to an agreement, so your being removed from your position is simply not an option. Is that clear?”

“Yes, My Lord, but—”

I held up my finger. “You will accommodate my life, and I will integrate your needs into mine. As I said, now is not the time for us to hash out my class schedule, wrestling schedule, or who I plan to take to the Senior Prom.”

“That better be me, mister!” Scott exclaimed.

“Not the whole world, remember Scotty?” I said, giving him a grin. “As I was saying, unless you feel we’re in danger tonight before anyone even knows I’m a Baron, I thought we would enjoy a carefree run through the woods. I don’t know how you’d do it, but if you feel the need to bring your firearm, by all means, do so. I doubt it could do more than our four beasts, but I could be wrong.”

Tommy took a deep breath in through his nose and blew it out. “And I apologize, Greg if my tone was disrespectful. I agree. We’ll likely have many arguments about your safety, but I will do my best to honor your wishes and your privacy. I realize it’s going to be challenging with you being in school, but we’ll figure it out. Maybe Lenny can get a job at your school or something. Anyway, as to tonight’s run, I think I’ll be safe with the three of you to protect me.”

I tossed a seat cushion at Tommy. “Get your ass undressed and meet us out front.”

When he jumped to his feet and gave me a mock salute, I knew we were fine. As Billy and Scott got up to follow, Donna said, “Remember, boys, we’re leaving tomorrow. The meat locker is full. Please eat what you kill?”

“Sure thing, Mom,” Scott called over his shoulder as he and Billy followed Tommy inside.

I turned to James and asked, “Was I too harsh with Tommy?”

James sat back and tented his fingers. “If you knew him better, I might say yes, a bit. The truth is, you just met him, and you needed to establish that he does, indeed, work at your pleasure.” I started to object, but James held up a finger, so I let him finish. “I think you both took something the other said in the wrong way, and I’m glad to see you both paused and considered the other’s viewpoint. That said, you’re going to have a lot of adjusting to do over the next few months.

“When we return from Los Angeles, I think we need to consider whether to inform your father of your changed nature. Until that decision is made and dealt with, you can’t really make plans in other areas of your life.”

“And if he takes it badly, I can enthrall him and make him forget?”

James nodded. “Spoken like a true vampire. And depending on what you say to him while enthralled, he could be influenced to overlook a lot of, well, unusual situations that might come up. Such as the fact that you now have a driver.”

I sighed. “That takes care of Dad; now I just have to figure out what to tell every kid at school.”

James laughed, “No one said life is easy, son. Go have fun. I’m afraid this might be your first and last opportunity to enjoy an evening run for a few weeks.”

As I headed inside, I could hear Scott and Billy out front, talking with Tommy. When I walked up, I offered Tommy my hand. “Sorry if I was—”

“You apologized, and so did I. It’s history, Greg. Never say you’re sorry twice for one offense; it can be seen as weakness.” He must have noticed my confusion because he added, “You asked me to be a friend. I’m trying to share my four hundred years of experience.”

Accepting his embracing the friendship aspect, I looked his body up and down and smirked. “Not bad for an old man. What do you think, Scott? Can he keep up?”

Tommy grabbed me in a headlock and growled, “I’ll show you what an old man can do you young pup!”

Scott and Billy took off at a run, heading for the trees while Tommy and I wrestled. When we realized they had bolted, we looked at each other and smirked, each knowing what the other was thinking. In an instant, Tommy and I both shifted to full beast and took off after them. When they split up, Tommy followed Billy while we pursued Scott.

‘Mate wants to play?’ we thought as we closed the distance. Just before we reached him, he shifted to full beast and scrambled up a tree. We made the mistake of following. Scotty’s smaller build meant he was able to use the thin branches to leap from the tree we were climbing to an adjoining one, then another. We watched, transfixed, as our mate leaped through the trees like a panther escaping a hunter.

‘Giving up so easy?’ Scott thought as he paused, three trees away.

‘He mocks us!’ my beast thought.

‘He’s playing, enjoy it.’

We dropped the thirty feet to the ground and decided to leave Scott in the trees. Realizing he has to come down at some point, we’d follow and be ready. Off to our left, we heard a scuffle and turned to see Tommy being held down by Billy. We grinned as our bigger, younger companion used his size to hold down the smaller hunter. Suddenly, the tables turned, and Billy was thrown against a tree. We heard a crack and rushed to check on our ally’s health.

Our concerns were unfounded because before we could get to him, Billy was on his feet and scrambling to get a hold of Tommy’s neck. We slowed, then quickly turned at a sound. Our mate had dropped from the trees behind us and was leaping to tackle us. Torn between wanting to enjoy the fight and wanting contact with our mate, we hesitated. It cost us, as we soon found ourself flat on our back with a sexy beast holding us down.

Not like wrestling in school, is it? he teased. When we leaned forward to bite him, he pulled away. Blood fog, he warned.

We sighed and nodded. Unable to kiss with our mouth, we instinctively licked his neck.

Get a room! we heard Billy as he and Tommy laughed.

Pushing Scott off us, we jumped to our feet and scanned the area around us. James had said we needed to show Tommy the property lines, and we needed to learn them as well. We turned to Scott and sent to all three, Scott will show us the property lines. We will run the entire distance. If the old man can keep up, that is.’

As we looked at each of our companions, we realized that they refused to make eye contact. Even our mate refused our eyes except in our more intimate moments. We were pleased that they recognized us as the Alpha, the leader of our small pack.

We ran until the eastern sky started to glow, a faint purple band on the horizon that precedes the dawn. We all stopped to look at it and understood what it meant. Our night of freedom was at an end.

Home.They all obediently followed us as we turned for the house.

Copyright © 2023 Justin4Fun; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 34
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow, would be so great to pick up languages that easily.  I can't imagine how impressive that is even for a vampire.  And on top of that, he has another ability, the psychic ability comes into play.

This was an excellent chapter.  I really like the conversations were the beast gets to inject his thoughts and come out to play.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

A very good chapter that was both fun and interesting to read.  I like how there are different rules in this vamp AU.  The first is that they can all eat and enjoy regular food as well as distinguish and enjoy different types of blood.  The other is that, in this universe, the hierarchy is a blend of wolf and medieval systems. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Hmm, why does this story seem familiar? At least bits and pieces of it are. Wish I could remember when and where I read a similar story.

At any rate, I like what you have here, Justin.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..