Jump to content
    Katya Dee
  • Author
  • 1,208 Words
  • 1,528 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Tribuo - 38. Part IV, chapter 10

- X -

 

EMMA

Tara took a single look at me when I came in last night, and without saying anything, she pulled me closer. I just buried my head in her shoulder and started to sob. Every time I thought that I was finally drained of tears, that nothing else could possibly come out, I would hear Russell’s words. “I don’t think it’s a good idea.” And I would weep more. Tara led me into the kitchen, sat me down on the chair, and started making tea, while I kept shaking with sobs. I was waiting for her to start saying something like, “I am so sorry,” or “God, Emma, I feel so bad for you,” and I was dreading that moment. I knew that the minute I heard pity in her voice, I’d lose it even worse.

“Emma,” she said finally after setting a mug full of black tea in front of me, and I immediately tensed up. Here we go…

“Emma,” she repeated and I looked up at her, my tears falling down on my hands. “Do you have any coffee?”

I stared at her. Coffee?

“I am a caffeine addict,” she explained with a small shrug. “And if I don’t get any coffee right now, I’ll probably go on a murderous rampage…”

I couldn’t help it. I laughed. And then I cried again. And laughed some more. It wasn’t pretty. But come to think about it, I was never pretty, so I guess it didn’t hurt my image too much.

“Somewhere…” I said finally. “It’s instant though… I don’t even have a coffeemaker…”

“Right now I’ll take anything,” she said seriously and started rummaging through the cabinet above the stove.

A couple of minutes later, she produced a happy grunt and fished out a jar of Taster’s Choice. I winced when strong coffee aroma filled the kitchen -- it immediately reminded me of Russell. He was drinking coffee nonstop while we were at that restaurant.

“Come on the balcony with me,” Tara said quietly, and I grabbed my mug and followed her silently.

She leaned on the wall just like before, and slowly puffed on her cigarette. I looked up.

“Tara…” I said. “I am sorry about being such a mess…”

“Pfft!” she said. “You should’ve seen me the last time I tried quitting smoking… At least you don’t throw anything at me…”

“You actually threw things?” I blinked.

“Yeah,” she sighed. “And since my aim is usually pretty good, my roommate wasn’t very happy with me that day…”

“What did you throw at him?” I drank some of my tea, and to my enormous surprise, I realized that I stopped crying.

“Stuff,” she said darkly. “That was the day when I lost my brand new bottle of Poison…”

“Poison?” I frowned.

“Perfume,” she sighed. “And my roommate had to explain to quite a few people why the hell he smelled the way he did… He didn’t talk to me for three days after that.”

I laughed weakly.

“God, Tara…” I muttered. “I am such a mess…”

She didn’t say anything, she just smoked silently. And then, out of the blue, I just blurted the whole thing out. About me being a fat, unattractive loser, who never even kissed anyone, let alone slept with anyone. I told her about my unhealthy obsession with a guy who was eight years younger than me, and that he was probably terrified by my bluntness and desperation when I invited him in. I told her that I was always a weak person without any willpower; that my mother was the only one who could drive me forward, and that without her I was worse than lost. By the time I finished talking, I almost cried again.

“So, he ran away screaming?” she asked when I finally stopped, and I stared at her.

“What?”

“That guy,” Tara said and lit another cigarette. “After he said that it’s not a good idea… Did he run away screaming?”

“N-no…” I stuttered.

“Then I don’t think he was terrified,” she shrugged. “There could be a bunch of reasons he said that.”

“Like what?” I sniffled.

“Well,” she looked at me seriously. “Maybe he didn’t want to do it so soon… Or maybe he was wearing weird underwear and didn’t want to freak you out…”

“God…” I said and laughed again.

“I would certainly say the same if that was my case,” Tara shrugged. “Maybe he was in a hurry to get home to do something…”

“Or maybe he just doesn’t care about me,” I finished bitterly.

“Or that,” she nodded, and I blinked at her calmness. “But even if he doesn’t feel that way about you, doesn’t mean that you are a fat, unattractive loser… I mean, at least he didn’t lead you on. That would be worse…”

“I just don’t understand,” I said numbly. “I have never seen him before Monday… And the minute I saw his eyes… It was like… How on earth could this happen?”

“There is a great Chinese saying,” she said very seriously. “I use that saying all the time; it’s amazing in its wisdom…”

“What is it?” I looked at her. Now she looked serene.

“Roughly translated it sounds something like…” she looked at me very seriously. “Shit happens,” she finished, and I just stared at her serious expression for almost a minute. Then I howled with laughter.

 

*****

 

By the end of the day on Thursday, I felt almost good. For some strange reason, Tara’s words made me feel better. What the hell, I thought on my way home. Maybe everything would be just fine. I mean, even if I never saw Russell again, it’s not the end of the world. I hummed along with the radio, and when I parked my car, my mood was quite good. Then I climbed out, shut the door, and looked up. That was when I saw him. He was sitting on the front steps of the apartment building, smoking nervously. I froze on the spot. What the hell is he doing here?!

He saw me, threw his cigarette away, and got up. He walked towards me and I just wanted to run away. Why would he come here all of a sudden? Why now?!

“Emma,” he said with his usual lopsided smile, and I just stared at him, unable to speak. “Hey, sorry for just showing up, but I tried calling you and it said that your number’s been disconnected.”

“I changed it,” I said finally. “What do you want?”

“I miss you,” he said, and I wanted to scream at him. “Can we talk?”

“No,” I thought. “I don’t want to talk to you, I don’t want to see you, go away…”

“Yes,” I said numbly and started to walk towards the front door of the building. He followed me.

We didn’t say anything to each other until I unlocked my door.

“Emma, is that you?” Tara yelled from the living room.

“Yes,” I said as numbly as before.

“What’s wrong? You sound funny…” she walked out of the living room and stopped when she saw him. “Oh, I’m sorry…”

“Tara…” I took a deep breath. “This is David. My father.”

 

©Katya Dee. All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Well, that was a surprise. We already know how dominating and abusive mommy was and there has never been a mention of her father. They seem estranged. I'm guessing mistress dominance had kicked him out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
10 minutes ago, Katya Dee said:

meh jay z GIF

Only one thing worse than rap; a rap gif. 🎶

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..