Jump to content
    Lee Wilson
  • Author
  • 2,752 Words
  • 564 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is an original work of gay fiction. None of the people or events are real. While some of the town names used may be real, any other geographic references (school, events) are purely fictional. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is completely coincidental. This story depicts sexual situations between adult males. If reading this is illegal where you reside, or you are not at least 18 years of age, you are reading at your own risk. This work is the property of the author, Lee R Wilson, and shall not be reproduced and/or re-posted without his permission. Story ©2023 Lee R Wilson.

Jail Cell Love Affair - 9. Some Surprising Turns of Events

Big changes coming down the pike for Fred. Perhaps even a pleasant surprise. (Don't cheat and look at the end, wait for it. Really, it'll be better that way.)

Job search complete for now, it was dinner time. Fred checked out the nearby fast-food possibilities, picked somewhere he could get a relatively inexpensive meal, and headed out to eat. After dinner, he realized he pretty much had nothing to do. He thought, 'I thought being on the outside again would be better.' Fred decided to consider his time with Mo. He was torn. The job prospect back near Galveston looked very interesting, but then he wouldn't easily be able to visit Mo, which was definitely something he'd want to do regularly. Moving back to Galveston probably meant giving up on Mo. He knew he couldn't do that right now. Perhaps over time that might be possible, although probably not easy if he kept seeing Mo. Unfortunately, the more he thought about Mo, the more upset he got. It didn't take long before the tears appeared. Laying down on the bed, crying, he quickly fell asleep. Between his emotions and the earlier bedtimes in prison, this wasn't surprising.

When Fred woke up the next morning, he was disoriented; and it took him a moment to realize where he was. He remembered he'd only booked the room for the night, and he'd have to check out by noon. It was time to look for something a little more permanent, but temporary enough where he could leave at any time. He drove to Houston to check out the two hostels he'd discovered when he was looking for the motel room. One he saw was eighteen dollars a night. Just a bed in a dorm room, but he was hopeful it wouldn't be more than a couple weeks. He checked in, booked himself on a week-to-week basis and headed back to the motel to pick up his belongings and check out. Most of which would stay in the trunk of his car. He'd need to get rid of the rental soon, that would cost him more than the room.

It would be a pretty big hit to his savings, but he started searching for used cars. He found an eleven-year-old Sonic that was reasonably priced due to its high mileage. At this point, Fred wasn't going to be picky, and at just under five thousand dollars, it would make the smallest dent possible in his savings. After getting insurance on-line, he got the keys, put his things in the trunk, parked it in the customer section, and drove the rental back. Another positive about the purchase, the dealer was only about a half mile from the rental place. He dropped off the rental and walked back to the dealership.

Two major necessities taken care of, Fred drove back to Houston and found a library to take a closer look at the email responses he had received on the job searches. The crappy jobs, as expected, he was turned down for. He was surprised it came so soon, but the job near Galveston wanted an interview. He printed the details and went to his car for privacy and made the call.

"Hello, Lyons, Martin, and Gold, attorneys at law, this is Jasmine, how may I direct your call?"

"Hello, Jasmine. I'm looking for a Brooke Maser. I applied for a position and got an email today saying I should call."

"May I ask your name sir?"

"Yes, it's Fred Jamers."

"I'll transfer you now, please hold."

"Hello, Lyons, Martin, and Gold, this is Brooke."

"Good morning Ms. Maser. This is Fred Jamers. You responded to my query about the job opening."

"Yes, hello, Mr. Jamers. May I call you Fred?"

"Yes, please do."

"I'm Brooke. We're somewhat informal here. I was intrigued by your cover letter. You have four years' experience as a real estate attorney, yet you claim to be perfectly suited for a defense attorney position. Can you tell me why?"

"Yes. I was falsely accused of murdering my partner, arrested, convicted of manslaughter, sent to Rosharon prison where I spent approximately ten weeks incarcerated; up until Saturday. I was released when the actual perpetrator was arrested, confessed to the murder, and pleaded guilty to second-degree murder to avoid the death penalty. Although I've been disbarred, with the conviction being overturned, that should be a formality to get reversed. So, I believe I have a unique perspective that would be useful as a defense attorney."

"Wow. I can't argue that last point, that definitely does give you a unique perspective. And since the position is as a junior associate, the lack of relevant experience isn't a major roadblock. Your resume didn't indicate an address. Where are you located?"

"I still haven't settled anywhere. I lived in Galveston before my troubles began, so returning to that area wouldn't be a problem. Right now, I'm in temporary housing in Houston."

"Would you have a problem coming in for a more formal interview tomorrow?"

"Not at all."

"Excellent. We actually have a pressing need to fill this position. Can you be here at nine o'clock?"

"Yes. That won't be a problem."

Brooke confirmed Fred had the address and said to ask for her when he arrived. Next stop, a men's clothing store. He couldn't very well go to an interview in what he was wearing, and he wouldn't want to be caught dead in a suit from Wal-Mart. Jos. A. Bank in Sugarland got his business. Three suits, light gray, charcoal gray, and navy pinstriped, nine shirts, six ties, dress socks, and dress shoes were added to his minimal wardrobe. As usual, he left most of it in the car's trunk, bringing only what he would need tomorrow into the hostel. He might need a bigger car, just to store his things out of sight.

The next morning, he drove to La Marque, which was on the mainland just north of Galveston Island. He easily found the attorney's offices, turned off his phone, although he had no idea who would call him, and walked into the lobby of Lyons, Martin, and Gold. He asked for Brooke, sat and waited for a few minutes until a woman came into the lobby that if he'd had a single ounce of heterosexual attitude in him, would have had him at her feet, begging for a date. Knockout wasn't sufficient. But, since he didn't, his reaction was minimal, just a smile. Apparently, Brooke was appreciative he didn't start drooling right away. Little did he know that she was aware there was little chance of that.

"Fred?"

"Yes. Brooke?"

"Yes, sir. Follow me. Would you like a coffee, tea, water?"

"No thank you. Maybe later."

She led him to a small conference room on the third floor. There were five people already there. Introductions were made, Conrad Lyons, managing partner was at the head of the table. Two senior associates, Jacob Reeves, and Sebastian DeVore were on either side of Lyons. A junior associate, who he would shadow for a short while if he were to get the position, Dante Spagnolia, sat next to Reeves. The chair next to DeVore was empty. Brooke pointed him at that chair, and she sat next to him. The final person at the table, Kirsten Clarke, was a paralegal currently assigned to Mr. DeVore and his junior associates. Mr. Lyons led the discussion.

"Very nice to meet you Mr. Jamers. Today we'll be only somewhat formal, but should you join the firm, first names are typically used when clients aren't present. Does that suit you well, Fred?"

"Yes, it does, Conrad. And it's very nice to meet you all as well."

"Fast learner, I like that. Do you know what we do here at Lyons, Martin, and Gold?"

Sometimes a little bit of research makes a big difference.

"Yes, sir. You're primarily a litigation firm, handling civil and corporate suits. However, you also have a division consisting of defense attorneys."

"Very good. Sebastian, to your left, heads up that defense group, supported by junior partner, Karter Gold, who is in court today. Dante and Kirsten work for him, as would you, again, if you were to get the position. As you probably surmised, Brooke heads up our human resources department. Department is a little bit of a misnomer, because it's just her and a paralegal. Finally, across from you, Jacob is second in command of our litigation group. Senior partner, Percival Martin, heads that group, but he is also in court today. Okay, now that the noise is out of the way, we can concentrate on the symphony. Or more specifically, your role in that symphony. Sebastian?"

"Thank you, Conrad. We have an urgent need for an additional defense attorney to handle the son of a major client's appeal. I'll have to protect their names, due to confidentiality, but you'll find them out soon enough. We'll call them Jim and John Client, okay?"

"That's fine."

Fred read between the lines, his role in the symphony, and finding out the names soon. It appears if he doesn't fuck up the interview, the job is his.

"Good. Jim Client has been convicted of vehicular manslaughter, again, details will be shared at a later time. Brooke tells us that you were recently in a very similar situation, being unjustly convicted of manslaughter and sent to Rosharon. You will be handling his appeal. Similar to your case, it is somewhat a case of mistaken information. While Jim had an explanation, it was not believed by the original jury. With me so far?"

"Yes, sir. Can I ask a question?"

"Of course."

"Why isn't his original attorney handling the appeal?"

"His original attorney is the one that performed insufficiently and was the main reason for Jim's conviction. He's no longer at the firm."

Fred looked at him questioningly, DeVore nodded.

"No offense, but if he is the son of a major client, why would you trust his appeal to a brand-new junior associate?"

Conrad gave Sebastian a slight nod.

"Two reasons. First is your history, somewhat paralleling Jim's. Second, and please don't think of this as a slight in any manner, but your being gay, also gives you a leg up on understanding him, and he and his father accepting you. Unfortunately, too late for Jim, we've discovered his original lawyer did not have a lot of sympathy for a gay man accused of a crime."

Fred wondered how they knew he was gay. Apparently, they did some quick work investigating him.

"I understand, and do not feel slighted at all."

"Excellent. Brooke, if you don't mind?"

"Yes, Sebastian. Fred, you will be a salaried employee for the duration of your employment. You will be asked to make a visit or two for other clients currently incarcerated at Rosharon, but you are basically full-time on Jim's case."

She slid a folder over in front of Fred.

"In this packet, you will find your offer of employment, a Non-Disclosure-Agreement, (NDA), and an anonymous summary of the case. You'll get the complete set of case files later. Seeing as you don't have a permanent address at this time, you will be staying, rent-free, in one of the apartments owned by the firm. Usually they're used for off-site, informal meetings, or housing witnesses prior to a trial. The address and keys are in there as well. Please take a moment to review the offer letter. If it is acceptable, sign one copy of it and the NDA, then Kirsten will show you around, and to your office, where the complete set of case files are waiting."

"That's it? You mean I have the job?"

"Yes, that's it. As Sebastian indicated, you have two of the main three qualifications for this particular position. The third, as you said, was indeed a formality. Your new license is also in that packet. However, that will be held by the firm should you decide not to take the position. You would have to seek reinstatement to the bar on your own. Any other questions?"

Fred hesitated, fear creeping into his mind, "Since I'm well suited for this particular position, does that mean I will be released after the appeals are completed?"

Conrad answered that one.

"No. You will be a permanent member of the firm provided your performance remains satisfactory."

"That's just as scary. If I lose the appeal, will I remain with the firm?"

"To be blunt, no. Continued employment is contingent on winning this appeal. Beyond that, winning won't be absolutely necessary in every case, but a significant percentage of wins will still be required. It's all outlined in the offer letter. If you'll excuse me, I'll leave you in the capable hands of your new friends here. Welcome to the firm."

Fred thought, 'geez, that sounded like I wouldn't have the option of turning it down.'

"Thank you, Conrad."

Lyons left, and Brooke handed Fred a pen. He opened the packet, and knowing there was another junior associate in the room, he didn't think it prudent to gush over the salary. Turning it down would have been one of the dumbest decisions he'd ever made. He read through the offer letter, seeing that it agreed with everything that was said, he signed it and the NDA. He was now a lawyer again. One with a one-hundred and eighty thousand dollar a year salary. On top of that, he had six months before he would be required to give up the apartment, or until he lost the appeal, whichever came first.

Brooke beamed, "Like Conrad said, welcome to the firm. To get you settled, I have been authorized to give you a one-quarter month advance on your first month's salary. Kirsten will show you around and then take you to your office, which will be adjacent to Dante's and her own."

After the tour, and some introductions to other members of the defense staff, he sat down at his desk and started to review the case summary. Checking out the view from his window could wait if he wanted to keep this job after the appeal was over. After about five minutes, Dante knocked.

"Come in. Hello again, Dante."

"Hello Fred. Nose to the grindstone right away. You'll fit in well here. How do you like the view?"

"Actually, I didn't really notice."

"Take a quick look, a minute won't put you behind."

Fred looked. The second-floor view was nice. It was at the back of the building, overlooking a wooded area with a small pond and two benches. Better than another building's exterior wall, which is what he had before.

"So, the real reason for my visit. As you know, I'm right next door, and Kirsten is the next office beyond mine. When you need a break from the Burton Madison Wallingford case, your predecessor's active files are in the top drawer of the credenza behind you. I'd say eighty percent of the paper is BMW, and the rest, pretty much wastes of paper. Folks that were convicted without a billionaire's bankroll behind them. Convicted and almost definitely guilty. Some interesting reading, though."

"You've looked through them?"

"Well, Silas and I worked together pretty closely, shared a lot of information, helped each other out. I'd like to continue that practice with you, after you get settled in. Maybe make that after you get buried in the BMW paperwork."

"Sounds fine. I'll probably be more of a drain than providing input."

"Don't sell yourself short. Your experience will help you a lot in defense work. Hopefully, we can get together one night, and you can tell me your story. We only heard bits and pieces."

"Considering I don't know anybody here in town, that sounds good."

"Great. I'll stop by later and we can make plans. Kirsten would like to join us if and when we do go out, if you don't mind."

"Not at all. The more the merrier, like I said, I don't really know anybody in the area."

"Cool. See you later."

Until Dante mentioned Kirsten coming along, Fred thought it was a possibility that Dante was hitting on him. He was relieved that wasn't the case.

After a few hours buried in the Wallingford case, Fred decided to look at Silas' other active cases. Five clients, all convicted of felonies, from arson, manslaughter, to possession of a controlled substance. Four of the names meant nothing to him, even though they were all at Rosharon. The fifth sent chills up his spine.

Missouri St. Louis - Case number 2018-19.07-1471


Next up - "Meet the Clients, aka, A Trip to Rosharon"

Coincidence? Or just a twist from the author's demented mind? You decide.
Copyright © 2024 Lee Wilson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 14
  • Wow 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

25 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Fred has landed on his feet, as long as he wins the appeal.

I think that Case number 2018-19.07-1471 is probably Mo. But we will have to wait until Fred meets his clients, to find out.

Indeed it is. Missouri's 2 character abbreviation is MO. Missouri is Mo's given name, that he doesn't like using.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

He gets a new job, staying close to Mo, and even gets the case that is Mo's assigned to him.  Talk about coincidence...

  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, VBlew said:

He gets a new job, staying close to Mo, and even gets the case that is Mo's assigned to him.  Talk about coincidence...

Almost like it was planned that way.

  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Quote

Lyons, Martin, and Gold

Serial comma—lawyers show off ^^

Quote

"I'm Brooke. We're somewhat informal here. I was intrigued by your cover letter. You have four years' experience as a real estate attorney, yet you claim to be perfectly suited for a defense attorney position. Can you tell me why?"

"Yes. I was falsely accused of murdering my partner, arrested, convicted of manslaughter, sent to Rosharon prison where I spent approximately ten weeks incarcerated; up until Saturday. I was released when the actual perpetrator was arrested, confessed to the murder, and pleaded guilty to second-degree murder to avoid the death penalty. Although I've been disbarred, with the conviction being overturned, that should be a formality to get reversed. So, I believe I have a unique perspective that would be useful as a defense attorney."

Wait, what? First, bold to make a first impression by openly say you've been in prison and were somewhat involved in a murder.

Second, "I was a victim, but they got the real guy, because I insisted on it, and I can do better than this shitty public defender" is not really a qualification, is it?

Quote

He might need a bigger car, just to store his things out of sight.

He's America. That alone rectifies the need for a huge-ass car.

Quote

"Two reasons. First is your history, somewhat paralleling Jim's. Second, and please don't think of this as a slight in any manner, but your being gay, also gives you a leg up on understanding him, and he and his father accepting you. Unfortunately, too late for Jim, we've discovered his original lawyer did not have a lot of sympathy for a gay man accused of a crime."

Remind me to put being gay in my resume. I can see, that it is a nice addition, but c'mon, by no means qualification. Good for him, he had practice in prison.

Quote

One with a one-hundred and eighty thousand dollar a year salary.

Assuming that was more or less also what he made at his job pre-prison, how lavish must his lifestyle have been that he bare had enough car to buy a freaking car?

Quote

I have to ask, the client, the billionaires son, Fred has to exonerate on appeal in order to keep his new job, what if he is truly guilty???

Depends on how high the firm values loyalty to the client and to what lengths they are willing to go for it

On 3/15/2024 at 7:18 PM, weinerdog said:

If Dante helped Silas an attorney who was terminated for incompetence if I'm Fred I would take anything Dante says with a grain of salt

Lets you wonder about Kirsten's opinions and stuff.

On 3/16/2024 at 12:24 AM, VBlew said:

He gets a new job, staying close to Mo, and even gets the case that is Mo's assigned to him.  Talk about coincidence...

Three times in a row. This guy has, apart from his initial trial, more luck than brains.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Zuri said:

Wait, what? First, bold to make a first impression by openly say you've been in prison and were somewhat involved in a murder.

Second, "I was a victim, but they got the real guy, because I insisted on it, and I can do better than this shitty public defender" is not really a qualification, is it?

Well, we don't know exactly what he put in his cover letter, nor exactly what the job post included. That, and I guess he figured being on the inside for a while changes one's perspective. And, hey, it's fiction. 😀

14 minutes ago, Zuri said:

He's America. That alone rectifies the need for a huge-ass car.

There really aren't too many of them anymore. The 70's are over.

14 minutes ago, Zuri said:

Remind me to put being gay in my resume. I can see, that it is a nice addition, but c'mon, by no means qualification. Good for him, he had practice in prison.

That was experience. The practice came before. 😁

14 minutes ago, Zuri said:

Assuming that was more or less also what he made at his job pre-prison, how lavish must his lifestyle have been that he bare had enough car to buy a freaking car?

No, I would guess as a real estate attorney he probably made somewhere between a third and half of the new offer.

14 minutes ago, Zuri said:

Depends on how high the firm values loyalty to the client and to what lengths they are willing to go for it

Firing a guy because he lost a case to an important client's son, yeah, that's client loyalty. We'll find out more about SIlas in the coming chapters.

14 minutes ago, Zuri said:

Lets you wonder about Kirsten's opinions and stuff.

There will be one comment later on that would be open to a wide range of interpretation.

15 minutes ago, Zuri said:

Three times in a row. This guy has, apart from his initial trial, more luck than brains.

Yep. Book smart, not street smart, nor overly endowed with common sense.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Lee Wilson said:

There really aren't too many of them anymore. The 70's are over.

In might not be from the U.S. but I've spent half a year in Alaska 😉

1 hour ago, Lee Wilson said:

That was experience. The practice came before.

experience = love, practice = sex with a guy without a job, he didn't mourn over—noted

1 hour ago, Lee Wilson said:

No, I would guess as a real estate attorney he probably made somewhere between a third and half of the new offer.

Still not that bad, considering you pay way less taxes than we do in Germany.

1 hour ago, Lee Wilson said:

Firing a guy because he lost a case to an important client's son, yeah, that's client loyalty. We'll find out more about SIlas in the coming chapters.

What I meant: The client is wealthy—do they care about the truth as long as they win?

  • Love 2
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..