Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 5,267 Words
  • 1,290 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Thousand Years of Hope - 16. Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen

Dante loved everything about the farmhouse in the middle of an apple orchard.

From the kitchen filled with herbs growing in little pots on the window seal, the antique cooking range and the oven spelled into baking potatoes in the afternoon like clockwork.

“What happens if I put in something else to bake?” Dante asked when Tani pulled out a tray of four large baked potatoes the first day. “Will it let me?”

“It will,” Tani said. “This is Cale’s sense of humor. He thinks I will soon have potatoes growing in my stomach. I have loved eating them so long, it is unlikely his thoughts will come to be.”

“You and Cale sound close,” Dante said as he sat at the kitchen table. He watched Tani pull out sour cream from the fridge.

Tani found a bunch of chives from a vegetable holder on the counter and washed them. He chopped the chives on a board, opened the sour cream container, and cut the baked potatoes open. He took his time responding to Dante’s comment. Dante waited with patience.

“Cale is family,” Tani said as he found a tablespoon. He scooped sour cream and placed it on the top of the baked potato. He added two scoops for each potato and sprinkled chopped chives on the sour cream.

“He was assigned to watch over me when I was sentenced to stay in the mortal realm,” Tani said. “Through the centuries, we have come to understand each other better. Cale’s the master of calamities, and he has ended up being the one to understand mine best. He helped me through the worst of it.”

Dante absorbed Tani’s answer with a nod. His heart was heavy at the thought of the pain Tani must have lived through to find comfort in the god of calamities.

“Don’t think about it,” Tani said, bringing a plate with two baked potatoes and placing it on the table before him. “Cale is a friend. Don’t overthink it.”

Dante nodded and accepted the spoon Tani handed him. He used the spoon to mix the sour cream and the chives with the soft insides of the potato. He took a bite of the result and smiled at Tani.

“It’s delicious.”

Tani smiled, sliding soft fingers over Dante’s right cheek. He returned to the counter for his plate and two glasses of orange juice. He joined Dante at the table and pushed the salt and black pepper shakers closer to Dante.

“What would you like to bake in the magic oven?” Tani asked with a wink.

“Chicken,” Dante said.

“Mm,” Tani nodded, taking a bite of his baked potato. He released a soft moan of appreciation at the taste, and Dante placed his spoon down to stare.

The joy on Tani’s face at the taste of baked potatoes was hard to ignore. He filed the look away and reminded himself to discover new baked potato recipes for Tani.

“We’ll have to visit my nosy neighbor for chickens,” Tani said. “This farmhouse has none. It would be cruel to let life grow here without a tender.

“Okay,” Dante said, picking up his spoon. “So, does this count as our second date?”

Tani glanced at him then and chuckled.

“When was the first?” Tani asked.

“This morning when you met my parents,” Dante said, making Tani laugh. The sound filled Dante up with joy. “We can say the elephants in the forest in the middle of a jungle were the highlight of that date. This must be the second one.”

“You’re impossible,” Tani said, continuing his meal.

After lunch, Tani took him on a walk around the vast farm to see the apple trees. They were blooming, ready to fruit soon.

“Why apples?” Dante asked when the sun started sliding down on the horizon. They walked back to the farmhouse at a slow pace. They held hands, and Dante felt like he was living a teenage dream he had forgotten. It felt exhilarating.

“Will you laugh at me if I tell you why?” Tani asked, stealing a glance at him.

“No,” Dante said with a small smile as they walked along the grassy path between rows of apple trees.

Tani nodded.

“The first gift I ever received from a mortal was a bunch of apples in a bag,” Tani said. “They were delicious, and I became partial to the taste.”

Dante’s eyes widened, remembering the bag of apples the original Durante brought to a wild forest for Tani. The start of a fate that tied them together for a lifetime.

Dante tightened his hold on Tani’s hand and stopped, making Tani turn to look at him.

“Is that why you’ve grown an orchard full?” Dante asked.

“Perhaps,” Tani said with a shrug. “It started that way. I transplanted the original apple tree from Durante’s old farm. Then, in time, I grew more and collected others. Now…”

Tani looked at the rows of apple trees around them.

“Maybe I always liked apples. In any case, they have become my sanctuary,” Tani said, then resumed their walk back to the farmhouse. “It’s been too long. It’s hard to pull it apart to figure out the reason.”

Dante held his comment on the matter. His anger at Durante grew again. Tani’s devotion was so clearly painted in the apple orchard. How did that fool miss it? Or had Durante chosen to ignore it?

Breathing out the weight of their past, he followed Tani to the farmhouse in silence. Listening to Tani talk about their nosy neighbor who might visit them if she noticed smoke coming from the fireplace the next day.

Falling into a domestic routine with Tani felt terrific. They took turns showering in the well-stocked bathroom tucked in the corridor. Tani summoned Dante’s clothing from Artri House. They both dressed down in sweats and t-shirts.

Later, they ate sandwiches for dinner.

Tani was careful to keep their conversation away from their heavy past. Pulling Dante into discussions about the archeological digs he had participated in around Europe. After a hard day's work, they ended up in the living room designed for comfort. As they talked, Tani lay on the comfortable couch with his head resting on Dante’s lap. They watched the fire crackle away in the fireplace in the corner.

“Do you miss spending time with April and Zach?” Tani asked at some point late in the night.

Dante combed his fingers through Tani’s hair. His fingers occasionally played with the gold leaves on Tani’s right ear.

“I do, but my presence in their lives will never be prominent,” Dante said with a soft sigh. “There was a time Viola would get very angry when I told her that. She thought I had no love for our children, for her.”

“And?” Tani asked, shifting on Dante’s lap so that he could look at him.

“I do love my children,” Dante said, holding Tani’s gaze. “Because I do; I feel the best place for them to be is with Viola. My fire magic, my family legacy, is too heavy for them. It would only place them in harm’s way if they stayed with me.”

“What if they had the legacy in their blood?” Tani asked.

“Then I would bring them to Artri House without hesitation and teach them everything I know,” Dante said. “As my mother taught me. As Grandmaster Landi taught me.”

Tani studied him for a moment.

“None of them have the legacy, though. They might never understand why you left them. Will you be sad if they never understand your way of thinking?” Tani asked.

“Perhaps,” Dante said, his gaze shifting to the bright fireplace. “It is the price I have to pay as a warlock father to two pure mortals. I do hope when they are older, we can meet and talk. I do want to see them achieve their dreams. I’ll always support them if they let me.”

“You’re a good man, Dante,” Tani murmured.

“You’d be the first partner I’ve ever had to say so,” Dante said, thinking of Viola and how she got angry with him.

“I will remind you often,” Tani said, then got up and held his hand to Dante. “We should sleep. Let's prune the apple trees while we’re here. Make sure my nosy neighbor gets a good harvest.”

Dante took Tani’s hand and stood up.

“Turn off the fire,” Tani murmured.

Dante waved his hand at the fireplace, using his magic to snuff out the flames until the embers cooled. Then, Tani led the way to the master bedroom, which had a large bed made with an oak frame. They slid onto the comfortable mattress. The white sheets felt so soft Dante wished he could feel them on his skin.

He imagined making love to Tani on the comfortable bed, even anticipating it. Then, once they were in bed, Tani gave him a chaste kiss, turned off the lights, and promptly fell asleep.

And so, a seven-day stay at the farmhouse started.

Each day was filled with a lesson on patience and restraint. Dante was sure Tani was testing him. They spent their days in the orchard, pruning apple trees.

Mornings at breakfast were light, their fridge refilled by the clever magic created by the god of calamity. Dante listened to endless praises for Cale from Tani. After breakfast, they started work. He loved watching Tani walk the grand apple orchard with a set of shears pruning apple trees. There was a love for the work in every action Tani did.

In between the work, there were fond kisses and affectionate hugs. Still, their nights were filled with Tani falling asleep when they slid between the comfortable sheets. It was as though he had forgotten their promise to make love on their third date. Dante started a very regular sighing routine.

Two days into their stay, Dante finally met the nosy neighbor.

She was a Greek woman in her late twenties. She had long blonde hair, was dressed in a white cotton skirt and a blue blouse, and her feet in flat sandals. The Greek woman brought two chickens for their pantry and a basket filled with vegetables from her garden. She arrived right as they returned to the house for lunch.

“Fox Lord, you should call to let your neighbor know you’ve returned to the farmhouse,” she complained when she saw Tani. “How long has it been since you dared to let your shadow darken our region?”

“I don’t remember,” Tani said, opening the front door.

Dante took the basket of vegetables from the woman and smiled in greeting as he hugged the basket.

“I’m Selene,” she said in greeting. “Can’t wait for him to introduce you to me. He thinks I’m a nuisance. I’m glad he is staying with someone this time. I worry he might starve to death if he stays here alone.”

“I’m Dante.”

“I know,” Selene said with a small smile. “The last one of you.”

“You know?” Dante asked, surprised as he looked at Tani.

“Hard not to when Cale is his warden,” Selene said. “I thought the little lordling had jumped into the dark side the first time I saw the god of calamities’ aura in our region. I came to banish them both, only to discover Ekho royalty had come to search for solace in our quiet isle.”

“You talk too much,” Tani said.

“You barely talk, Fox Lord,” Selene said, leading the way into the farmhouse. She headed straight to the kitchen. “Come on, Dante, I bet you want to eat more than baked potatoes. I’ll teach you a special trick about the magical oven in the kitchen. Cale has a strange sense of humor. If you put vegetables into the oven, they cook in record time. One day, I tried chicken, and I swear to the fates that it makes the most delicious grilled chicken in the world. Otherwise, baked potatoes remain a boring staple.”

“I like your neighbor, Tani,” Dante said, placing the basket of vegetables he held on the kitchen table.

“Fox Lord thinks I’m nosy,” Selene said as she pulled a flat baking pan from a cupboard and took it to the sink. “Let’s make chicken with grilled cauliflower and some wild rice. Cale’s magic refills the rice bin in the pantry, Dante.”

“Hm,” Dante winked at Tani, who had sat at the kitchen table with his arms folded against his chest. “I should explore this kitchen more.”

“It will surprise you,” Selene said, opening her basket to find two heads of cauliflower. “In any case, I’m glad to see you here, Fox Lord. I worried that this would be the last—”

“I’m already here,” Tani cut off Selene. “Stop talking so much. Why don’t you focus on making the chicken?”

Tani stood up and took the cauliflower heads from her.

“I’ll wash these for you,” Tani said.

Dante frowned at how fast Tani interrupted Selene but did not pause to think deeply about why. He went to the pantry and found the rice bin filled with wild rice. Taking the scoop inside the bin, he measured a cup and returned to the kitchen to find Tani glaring at Selene.

Tani sighed when he saw Dante and turned on the tap at the sink.

“What now?” Dante asked, moving to join Tani at the sink to wash the cauliflower and the rice. “Why does Selene annoy you so much?”

“He can’t stand my sunny face,” Selene said as she found a pan for the chicken.

“You’re too nosy for your good,” Tani grumbled.

Dante kissed Tani’s right cheek, amused by Tani’s attitude toward Selene.

“I like your annoyed face,” Dante said when Tani glanced at him.

“I’m not annoyed.”

“Yes, you are,” Dante said, leaning on the counter to study Tani’s expressions.

Dante glanced at Selene, who was busy arranging the chicken pieces on the baking pan. She salted and seasoned them with the attention of an experienced cook. So, Dante leaned in and whispered into Tani’s ear.

“She seems worried about you, you know,” Dante said. “I think she’s no different from Cale, who spelled the house.”

“Mm,” Tani said, biting his bottom lip as he washed the cauliflower and broke it into pieces.

Dante placed a colander in the sink for the cauliflower pieces.

“She’s why you want to prune the apple trees, right?” Dante asked, studying Tani’s face.

Tani met his inquiring gaze and nodded.

“She’s another Hera,” Dante said with a quick grin.

“Not at all,” Tani said, shaking his head. He glanced at Selene and then scowled at the cauliflower. “Hera is a child I’ve raised. That one is Ekho.”

“What?” Dante glanced at Selene to find her watching them.

Selene grinned wide.

“You heard everything I just said,” Dante said, knowing their hearing was sensitive.

“Yes, handsome Dante. Have I told you that I think you’re the best version? I especially appreciate the fire brewing inside you for the Fox Lord. It’s spectacular to watch,” Selene said.

Dante bit back a grin when Tani’s scowl deepened at Selene’s comment.

“What kind of Ekho are you?” Dante asked, leaning on the counter, his arms crossed as he studied Selene.

Strange, but had Tani not said it, he would never have known Selene was an Ekho. She did not look like one. Dante frowned, thinking about the Ekhos he had met in the past few days.

Tani’s uncle, Amu, and the earth goddess, Eren, looked quite plain. Why was it different when he looked at Tani? Was it because Tani’s eyes were amber?

“I’m a half-breed,” Selene said, smiling at Dante. “Half-fox and half-dragon. My parents brought me to the mortal world to escape harsh criticism from the more cynical members of our clans. Don’t look so surprised. Prejudice grows in every society in some form.”

“Why do you call Tani royalty?” Dante asked.

“He’s the son of the Fox Goddess Anit and…,” Selene looked at Tani. Dante wondered if she was waiting for Tani to protest, but when he did not, she grinned and continued. “The Immortal Lord Sunu.”

“Immortal Lord,” Dante said, his gaze returning to Tani. “As in the head of the Immortal Clan?”

“Yes. Lord Sunu is the master of the Citadel and the emperor of our Ekho clan. He rules the Septum,” Selene said. “You’re well informed for a mortal.”

“I’m a bloodborne warlock,” Dante said. “Ekho-blessed with fire magic.”

“Oh,” Selene’s eyes widened with drama. “That explains the fire I see in your veins. You’re a mortal hybrid. Your kind is rare. Your mother must have come from a powerful warlock line.”

“Yes. My mother's powers added to my father’s and made me. Why are your eyes different from Tani’s?” Dante asked, curious about Selene’s blue eyes.

“My father is a dragon,” Selene said. “I get my eyes and blonde hair from him. Even my powers and love for beautiful things come from him. In our line, the more powerful parent leaves a mark on his or her children.”

“So, Tani’s power and eyes,” Dante said, his sentence trailing off as he met Tani’s amber gaze.

“My father’s mark on me,” Tani confirmed. “My hair is red from my mother’s side.”

“Fox Lord’s parents are at the god level,” Selene said, her voice heavy with reverence. “It’s natural to have a mark from each one.”

“Why do you call him Fox Lord?” Dante asked.

“It is the easiest title,” Selene said. “I’m not shameless enough to go around calling out the name of the Immortal Lord’s son. I’m afraid he will come to find me.”

Tani scoffed at Selene’s comment, his shoulders tense at the mention of his father.

Dante noted the tension growing in Tani at the mention of his roots. He brushed his lips on Tani’s forehead and changed the topic. He asked Selene about her farm and what she was growing.

Selene was fun to have around once they overcame her need to poke at Tani’s mood. She was lively and enjoyed sharing recipes. She shared the same aversion to Cale that Dante had for the god of calamities.

“Don’t fight him if he shows up,” Selene said to Dante when she left after lunch. “He protects Fox Lord like a guard dog. It’s hard not to respect him for his dedication.”

“Have I said you talk too much today?” Tani asked as he watched Selene leave the kitchen with a wave.

“More times than I care to count,” Selene said. “I’ll bring you more veggies the day after tomorrow.”

“I didn’t ask,” Tani said.

“I’m telling Dante,” Selene said, blowing a kiss at Dante. “I’ll see you later, handsome Dante. I hope you smooth his edges by the time I get back.”

Dante chuckled as a strong wind pushed Selene out of the house and slammed the door closed.

“Your magic works well when you’re annoyed,” Dante said. “Selene is not so bad.”

“She is an acquired taste,” Tani said, shaking his head.

“I think you worry about her but don’t want to make it obvious. Why?”

“I don’t,” Tani said, standing up. He took their used plates to the sink.

“Tani.”

“We should finish the row we started this morning,” Tani said, starting the water to wash their plates.

Dante bit his bottom lip to stop himself from pushing. It was interesting to discover that this house probably held the secrets of Tani’s core, like the truth of Cale protecting Tani and pushing him to live when he didn’t want to.

This place was where Tani allowed himself to feel vulnerable. It held the truth of Tani’s true feelings.

Later in the afternoon, Dante stood next to Tani, looking at the dead branch Tani was pointing out.

Dante held a hand pruner, poised to cut as soon as Tani showed him where.

“We have to get rid of these dead branches,” Tani said, showing him the spot to cut. “I try to make sure there is enough light coming through. Don’t hesitate when you cut. We don’t want the branch to gain an unnecessary bruise.”

Dante made the cut, holding the dead branch so it would not fall on Tani’s head.

Tani turned to him with a pleased smile, and Dante froze in place, his heartbeat speeding. Sunrays sifted through the apple tree leaves they were pruning, falling over Tani’s red-brown hair, turning it into a rich, vibrant color. Tani’s amber eyes shone in the light, making Dante’s heart squeeze tight.

They were so beautiful, Dante was sure he would never tire of looking at Tani.

Yes, these past two days had turned into an exercise in restraint.

Dante waited every day for Tani to reach for him. To ask him for more than the kisses they shared, for more than holding hands as they sat watching the sunset. He hoped their kisses would turn into lovemaking, but Tani seemed content with the little they were doing.

It was hell sleeping next to Tani and feeling so unsure—

Of course, the sun would decide to push his limits. Painting this perfect creature with light, making him look so utterly stunning, it was hard not to want to kiss him until they were both naked on the grass under the apple trees.

Damn. Did the sun forget he was a simple, poor mortal soul?

Dante dropped the branch he held in the wheelbarrow from the shed that was already half-filled with dead branches. He stole another glance at Tani and caught him frozen in place.

“What are you thinking about?” Dante asked, closing the pruners he held.

“I should ask you that question,” Tani said, turning away. He strolled to the next apple tree.

Dante watched Tani study the branches. Dropping the pruners into the discarded branches in the wheelbarrow, Dante followed Tani.

“Your lips are pursed so tight; I want to kiss them into compliance. What are you holding yourself back from saying?”

“I’m not holding back,” Tani said, touching a small bud on the tree. The white apple flower grew into a fuller bud before Tani let go of it and walked to the next tree.

Tani’s magic seemed to work better in this place, Dante noted.

“Yes, you are. Tani, you promised not to keep me at arms’ length,” Dante accused, following Tani. “I can barely restrain myself from pulling you down on the grass and making love to you. Yet, when I look at you, I think you don’t feel the same way.”

“Who says I don’t? We’ve slept in the same bed for two nights. I must hold no appeal to you, as you have not attempted to reach for me at all. Dante Arturo, if you want me, you must tell me. How will I know if you don’t say it?” Tani asked.

Tani abandoned his study of the apple trees and headed to the farmhouse.

Dante gaped and then chuckled at Tani’s last question.

“Then, I’ll just show you how much more I want with you,” he murmured, running after Tani.

****

Tani cursed under his breath as he walked away from Dante, his heart speeding in his chest. When Dante cut the dead branch off the tree, he thought they would kiss. It hurt him when Dante turned away without giving in to the urge.

It was always so tricky at the start of their relationship. This pull between them was too hard to manage. If Tani were asked, they would have spent most of their time in bed, but…

He could not be greedy. He needed to remember to take his time. Remember, their connection was new for Dante. Their love was fresh…again.

Tani closed his eyes in frustration and rubbed his forehead with his right hand. He would have let out a soft sigh, but then a strong hand gripped his left wrist, pulling him to a stop.

Tani gasped when Dante dragged him into his arms and kissed him hard. A deep, hungry, demanding kiss that had Tani closing his eyes and his free hand gripping Dante’s left arm to keep steady.

Dante let go of his wrist. He cupped Tani’s face and kissed him again, like a man starved, finally giving Tani the passionate kiss he had been craving.

Tani let out a soft moan, wrapping his arms around Dante’s waist, his fingers bunching Dante’s white linen shirt. Feeling the heat coming off Dante’s body. Tani closed his eyes, losing himself in their hungry kiss. He felt too hot, insanely needy, his skin turning sensitive, needing to feel Dante’s hands on him.

Dante broke their kiss, and Tani opened his eyes to find Dante studying him. Dante caressed Tani’s bottom lip with his thumb.

Dante’s gaze was sharp and filled with heat. His lips slightly parted, his breathing coming a little too fast, as he slid an arm around Tani’s waist and pulled him closer. Closer still until their chests touched. Tani’s breath came in shaky breaths as he brought his arms around Dante’s shoulders. Dante held him tighter, turning to pin Tani against the trunk of the closest apple tree. His big body pressed against Tani in full possessive ownership.

Tani’s breath snagged as his cock filled with need, arousal engulfing him in a hot cloud. Dante took advantage of his parted lips and set his mouth to his again. His kiss was ravaging. Tani’s blood surged in response, his body molding to Dante. He tightened his arms around Dante, savoring his taste, hot, wild, and utterly uncivilized. Their shared heat was so familiar it brought the sting of tears to Tani’s eyes.

Dante pressed him harder against the apple tree, his hands moving over Tani’s body, stroking down Tani’s back, cupping his bottom, and grinding his swollen cock against him. Long fingers slipped between them, feeling Tani’s hard length through his trousers. Tani let out an aroused moan, his fingers digging into Dante’s hair in response. He undid the rubber band Dante used to hold his hair and sunk his fingers into the soft tresses, holding on, making Dante moan.

Dante pressed his palm on Tani’s hard length, his touch bold, sensual. Tani had seconds of warning; his hard cock pulsed so hard he feared he might disgrace himself from the sensation. Then Dante stroked his palm over him, and Tani forgot modesty. An intense orgasm built up inside him and fractured into a million pieces, leaving him shaking. Tani let out a hoarse moan, arching into Dante’s caress at a loss.

Dante took in his moans with a sweet kiss, and a soft sob escaped when Dante wrapped a secure arm around him to keep him steady. Holding him tight through his weakening ecstasy. Their kiss broke, and Tani buried his face into Dante’s shoulder, closing his eyes as his breath came too fast, trying to find his balance again. He clung to Dante’s shoulders, afraid he would melt to the ground.

Dante buried his nose into Tani’s right shoulder and breathed him in. He pressed his lips on the soft curve of Tani’s shoulder, sucking on sensitive skin, and then licked at the spot with hot intimacy.

Tani trembled.

“This is my answer,” Dante murmured into his ear after a while. His hot breath sent maddening electric tingles racing down Tani’s spine. “I want you. All of you. Every part of you. I don’t want to wait. Let’s make love, Tani.”

Tani held on to Dante, elated. He opened his eyes and stared at the rows of apple trees closest to them. They were filled with blooming white flowers; even the ones that had none before were now heavy with them. He grinned and decided to hide this strange happenstance of his ecstasy from Dante for the moment anyway.

“Let’s go inside,” Tani murmured.

“Mm,” Dante agreed.

Tani held onto Dante and teleported them straight to the bathroom. His cheeks flushed with color when Dante cupped his face and tilted his head up.

“You’re gorgeous,” Dante murmured, studying Tani’s face. His thumb stroked Tani’s right cheek, the pad of his thumb shifting to trace over Tani’s bottom lip.

“I’ve wanted to see you this way for a while,” Dante said.

“Messy because you drove me to the brink with a simple touch?” Tani asked, his cheeks flaming, somewhat mortified by his swift orgasm in the orchard. He had thought he had more control. Turns out Dante could drive him to the edge with a simple kiss.

“Wanting me,” Dante corrected, kissing Tani’s lips softly. Then he murmured against Tani’s lips, “as much as I want you. There’s nothing messy about our passion. It’s how it should be.”

Dante kissed him again and then helped Tani out of his clothes. His hands were gentle as he helped Tani pull off his t-shirt. Dante dropped it to the floor with a small smile. His gaze was appreciative as he took in Tani’s figure. His fingers were sure when they reached for Tani’s trousers. He unbuttoned them with a single flick of his fingers. Tani held Dante’s gaze as Dante pulled down the zipper, and Tani’s trousers dropped to the floor. Tani stepped out of them and closed his eyes when Dante reached for his dark underwear. His fingers warm against Tani’s skin.

Dante took Tani’s lips in a short, sweet kiss as he pushed his messy boxer briefs down.

Then, Tani stood naked before Dante.

Dante looked at him, his gaze heated as it traveled down from his shoulders, down his chest, to his stomach, then to his aching cock. Tani fought the urge to step back as he faced his beloved for the first time in decades. With no clothes to shield him and no lies between them, Tani decided to take off the glamour that hid his origins. His eyes took on the distinctive fox clan slits. Kinon’s cuffs on his wrists restored to their true form, heavy and punishing on his wrists.

Tani met Dante’s gaze.

“This is my true self,” Tani murmured, his voice shaking, vulnerable.

Dante took a step closer. He placed his hands on Tani’s bare shoulders. His fingers started a slow, gentle caress down Tani’s arms. He held Tani’s gaze as his fingers wrapped around Tani’s wrists, holding the gold cuffs that marked him a deviant. He lifted Tani’s right hand to his lips and pressed his lips to the cool gold metal.

Dante then brought Tani’s hand to his left cheek, and Tani straightened his fingers to cup Dante’s cheek.

“What?” Tani asked.

“I think you’re expecting that I’ll turn away from you. You show me your cuffs, your eyes, wanting me to cringe and run,” Dante said, shaking his head. He took Tani’s hands and brought them to his chest, to the buttons of his white linen shirt. “I won’t, Tani. You’re stuck with me now, no matter what we face in the future.”

Tani sucked in the air at the mention of the future. He thought about Cale’s warning. The idea that someone took Dante’s life when they parted filled his head. Panic had him dropping his gaze to the buttons on Dante’s shirt.

The longer he spent with Dante, the more he wished Cale were wrong. The more he wanted to know what a future with Dante looked like. The future he had never once experienced in Dante’s company, he wanted to know it.

Tani undid the first button of Dante’s shirt and looked up to find Dante studying him.

Their future seemed far away and unsolvable, but the now was here. Tani decided he would lose himself in their shared bliss.

******

A Happy New Year 2024!
Copyright © 2021 lilansui; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 24
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I want the same magic oven 😂 that would save me time 😝

thx for the lovely chapter for a good ending of 2023 and a good start for 2024 👍

Happy New Year 

New Year Vintage GIF

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

What a real delight; and I loved Selene.  This was a great update; and how the hell do I get that oven?  

This evocative nature of the writing in this chapter was just superb.  I really felt as if I could smell the apple blossoms and feel the sunlight.

I can't wait to see what happens when these two actually make love; the thrill may actually kill someone.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thank you for the new chapter. I've been coming frequently to check if a new chapter has been posted for a while new. It's a great New Year's gift to be surprised with this chapter after so long. Thank You. Hope you have a great 2024!!!😄❣️🎇🥂

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Yes!! Happy New Year 2024! I'm hoping we all have a wonderful one. I've been away from the site since last year. I wasn't in the headspace to continue, but I'm back and looking forward to completing Tani and Dante's journey. Thank you for waiting and for reading this story. All my love 💖, Sui.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..