Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 5,513 Words
  • 1,799 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Thousand Years of Hope - 14. Chapter 14

Chapter Fourteen

Christophe and Landi stood. Their gazes wide for different reasons as they took in Tani.

“It is you,” Landi said in greeting, moving away from the island table and facing Tani. “You are Ryuzo?”

Tani smiled.

“Yes. It has been a long time, young Landi,” Tani said. “How have you been?”

Landi took a few steps forward and took Tani’s right hand, holding it with both hands as he studied Tani.

“Extraordinary thanks for your help. You haven’t aged one bit,” Landi said.

“What are we missing?” Nora asked, looking at her husband. “Christophe? Why are you standing there like a statue?”

“Excuse me, it’s not every day one gets to meet an Ekho in one's home,” Christophe said.

Tani chuckled, glancing at Dante, who winked at him.

“When did you meet Landi?” Nora asked.

“He was a very young man when we met,” Tani said, not trying to remove his right hand from Landi’s hold.

The grandmaster watched him with wonder. His eyes were bright with recognition.

Tani sifted through his vast memories until his stint with Landi in Andalusia in the late eighteen hundreds returned to him.

“We met when I was fourteen,” Landi said.

Dante blew a short, impressed whistle and walked around them to sit at the island table.

“Grandmaster, were you ever that young?” Dante asked.

“Even younger,” Tani said, smiling at Landi when the older man grinned back at him. “As reckless as you, Dante. He almost burned down an inn over brutal treatment by a gang leader at the docks where he lived at the time.”

Landi chuckled and let go of Tani’s hand.

Christophe pulled out a chair next to Dante at the island table.

Nora then guided Tani to the island table, and he sat next to Dante. She hurried to the cooking range to get him a glass of tea.

Landi sat across Dante and Tani, with Christophe joining him.

“Why did you almost burn down a building, Grandpa?” Christophe asked, taking the glass of tea Dante pushed toward him.

“Our family was going through a hard time,” Landi said. “My father passed away, and we had creditors who wanted our very life. I had to protect Mom, so I tried my best to make money, and sometimes it wasn’t enough, so I broke the law. Until I met Mr. Ryuzo, he changed my life.”

“Please, Mr. Ryuzo sounds so formal,” Tani said, getting comfortable in his seat. “Call me Tani.”

“I think we need to know more about this encounter. Don’t you think so, Dad?” Dante asked, accepting a glass of tea from Nora. He passed it to Tani and waited for the second one.

“I have read the stories in your grandmaster’s journals,” Christophe said, sipping his tea. “Still, reading is not the same. He tells the story better.”

Landi let out a soft sigh and looked at Tani.

“There is not much to tell. I was born in a shabby house in the Seville docks in Andalusia. My dad worked in cargo ships and often took voyages, so we lived where he could find work. He had moved our family from Ottoman territory, hoping to escape the life of a farmer and make a fortune in a different region. The only work he could get easily was working on ships. He made good money but was not very smart with our family’s finances,” Landi said, shaking his head.

“When he was not on long voyages, he ran distractive vices: drinking, gambling, and women…,” Landi sighed. “There was no way to cure him. Mom tried and failed too many times. She did her best to keep my younger sister and me safe. She worked in the laundry of a successful inn. She kept money aside to sustain our lives and pay rent. We tried to hide what she saved, but it didn’t always work out.”

“Your father found it,” Dante said, tensing in his chair.

“Most times,” Landi said, shadows in his eyes as he remembered his distant past.

“Was he violent?” Dante asked, his tense tone drawing Tani’s gaze.

“When he was drunk,” Landi said with a shrug, looking at Dante. “It’s in the past.”

“Either way, I’m sorry you had to live through that kind of situation,” Dante said, sitting back in his chair.

Tani placed a hand on his right knee, and warmth flooded him when Dante reached down to cover his hand with his right one.

Landi studied Dante briefly, then his lips curved in a smile at the sympathy in Dante’s gaze.

“Don’t dwell on it,” Landi said. “I don’t. In any case, Dad died after fighting with a man he owed money in a pub. His creditors soon came knocking at our door after his funeral. I had to start working to make money to help mom. The best place to do that as a fourteen-year-old kid was doing odd jobs at the docks.”

“We lived along a stretch dominated by a powerful gang that had its hands on liquor imports and all the pubs along the docks,” Landi said, staring into his tea. “As I said earlier, I was furious at fourteen. Easy to trigger and full of fire. A fire my mother called the devil’s gift because she had no idea why I had it in me. She tried her best to love me despite my strange gift. Still, her discomfort with it made me angrier.”

“We had to live. I had no scruples in making sure we had money for food. I overstepped and crossed multiple members of the gang and even stole money from their leader if an opportunity presented itself. One bad night, the gang boss caught me thieving from one of his clients, and he made Mom pay for the interest with money she had saved for our rent. Mom was at her wits end with me. She cried for a night and a day. So…I left the house the next evening determined to make the gang boss pay for making her cry.”

“Not stealing would have made her cry less,” Nora pointed out, placing a platter on the table filled with cured meats, tomatoes and lettuce, white cheese cubes, eggs, and more. She handed Dante a glass of tea and patted his shoulder.

Tani studied the platter of food, excited by the spread. He smiled at Nora in thanks when she handed him a plate and cutlery.

“Stealing was the easiest way to keep our family living day-to-day, or so I believed,” Landi said, continuing his story. “In any case, I set about getting that gang boss back for making Mom cry. I decided the best way was to burn down his most popular pub, where he had his office. I waited until it was late in the night. I was skinny enough to slip through the alleys without people noticing me. I found the right spot to start the fire on the bar and lit up a beam with my magic, and…”

Landi waved with his hands, soft, harmless sparks falling from his fingertips.

“My fire died in a vacuum,” Landi said, shaking his head. “It shocked me because I had never experienced something like that. The fire always came when I wanted it. I looked up, and Mr. Ryu—Tani was leaning on the wall opposite, watching me. I thought he was one of the gang boss’s men. Though with his clean-cut dress style, he couldn’t have been.”

“You tried to put me on fire,” Tani said with a short grin as he took a slice of homemade bread and covered it with a thin layer of cottage cheese. He took a bite, his gaze on an embarrassed Landi.

“There was no chance I would manage it,” Landi said softly. “You turned my fire attempts into grape vines. Told me I should rethink my choices. I should work to get my family to return to our true home and start a new.”

“I just wanted to give you a new school of thought,” Tani said, swallowing the delicious bread. He sipped his tea. “Had you continued as I found you, I fear this present existence would not have come to be.”

Landi studied him and then agreed with a single nod.

“Yes. You are quite right,” Landi said. “The vines you made from my fire started this vineyard. I have always wanted to thank you for helping my family back then. Your support saved us and helped us return here to Artri.”

“It was my duty,” Tani said, placing his slice of bread on the plate and sat back, his gaze on Landi.

“Is it because of your promise to the original Durante?” Christophe asked, watching Tani openly.

“No.” Tani shook his head, the importance of his meeting with Landi suddenly filling him.

“No, that is not why I came for you, Landi. I was working under the Elderwood Conservancy. We were hidden in those ages and still are in a way. We are known now among modern scholars because we try to help heal the environment and protect wildlife. However, the core reason Elderwood exists is to watch over the Ekho-blessed children in the mortal realm. Creating sanctuaries for the children powerful heretics insisted had the devil’s gifts, as you say,” Tani said. A deep frown creased his forehead. “I was sent to check your case because of a rumor that there was a child who started fires when he was angry. I had no clear information about you until you wanted to burn the bar.”

“Oh,” Landi frowned. “So, it is not because of my connection to Durante? I heard you are sworn to protect his generations.”

“I am sworn to this promise, but that is not why I came to you. Durante’s line had no power when you were young, Landi. His bloodline was pure mortal. You changed it, though, when you met your wife. She belonged to Durante’s bloodline.”

“Wow,” Christophe said, his gaze shifting to Landi. “Here you thought it was because of our Artri bloodline.”

“It seemed like it should be,” Landi said, shaking his head as he studied Tani. “Then…is it true our patriarch is a powerful ekho, a god of fire in the Ekho Realm?”

“It is true. Kinon is his name,” Tani said, holding out his wrists. “Forger of these cuffs that ground me to the mortal realm.”

“Is he a good soul?” Nora asked her gaze on the cuffs on Tani’s wrists. “This Kinon who has blessed our Artri House with his power. Is he a good ekho?”

Tani released a soft sigh and dropped his hands to his lap, a heaviness filling his chest. Dante responded to the sigh by taking his left hand and tangling their fingers. The warmth of his touch soothed the sting in his chest, and he took in a lighter breath.

“Your definition of good is different from mine, ours as Ekho,” Tani said. “I am not old enough to pass judgment on Kinon, the Ekho god of fire. By all the rules governing my existence in the Ekho Realm, I am a deviant Ekho. One who has broken and defied the accepted rules of our Ekho realm. So, I cannot answer your question, Nora Arturo.”

The room went silent, and then Dante cleared his throat.

“So, just how old are you, Grandmaster?” Dante asked. “Should I be calling the Guinness World Record? I’m very sure we are bound to win. What year were you born?”

“You will do no such thing,” Christophe said, pointing a finger at Dante in clear admonishment. “This son of mine might actually attempt to do it.”

Tani chuckled and glanced at Landi.

“I should be a hundred and forty-seven or so,” Landi said. “The fire inside me keeps me young. It should be the same for those in our bloodline. We age slowly.”

“How many are there like you?” Tani asked.

“Our family is very old. Our bloodline dates back to the eleventh century. We here in this room are the last standing with power,” Landi said, his gaze lost in memory. “The first of our line was named Christophe Artri; he had a daughter named Nora Artri, and it continues. Those before me had passed on by the time we were able to return to Aretias Island. When my family returned from Andalusia, we only found my grandmother. Thank the fates for her. She helped me understand who I was and what I was. From her, I learned how to control my fire. She kept records of our family. It felt good to discover that a long line of Artri men and women had gifts like mine. I didn’t feel so alone, even though my power was stronger than all the others in our line. I have helped document our line since then.”

“How did you know your power was stronger than others?” Tani asked.

“There were spells grandmother could not do, and she was with power. I was stronger than she was, though that changed when Dante was born. He is stronger than Christophe and me. When my wife gave birth to our children,” Landi said. “I got one son and three daughters. My son had no magik in his blood because his mother was not ekho-blessed. The magik skipped the girls, too, but that is common. However, it found my grandson because we tried to ensure his mother was ekho-blessed. Christophe and his son, Dante. These two should have the same outcome with age as me.”

“They should,” Tani said with a thoughtful nod.

Kinon had indeed put a lot of thought into his interference. The question remained: why?

Had this been his intention, to begin with?

Tani studied Landi.

Kinon had blessed the Artri, nurturing a long line of warlocks. Then Landi’s father decided to break out of farming, ending up in Andalusia. He took long voyages for a fortune, and Landi was born with the most potent power in the line. His bloodline then contributed to Dante’s current bloodborne warlock magik. It felt like a renewal of Ekho magik. Renewing the Artri line to keep it relevant.

Tani bit back his scoff at the thought.

For Landi to grow his power this much, it should have been that his mother had an affair with Kinon. Landi’s mother would have no actual knowledge of what Kinon was.

Tani thought about the request to the conservancy to find Landi. It was also suspect.

Could Kinon have pretended to be the owner of the inn…?

Tani reached for his phone.

“What is it?” Dante asked.

“Now that I hear Landi’s story and remember his case, I have questions about how Elderwood knew to find you in Andalusia,” Tani said.

“Is it very unusual?” Dante asked.

Tani wrote a message to Hera.

‘Visit the conservancy archives for me. Find case files for the Andalusia region in the late 1800s. I need to know who sent the case to the conservancy. Also, the lineage book with Artri House.’

“Mm,” Tani said. “Not quite. We did get requests for odd occurrences around the world, but…Landi’s case was specific.”

Tani’s phone pinged and opened the voice message from Hera.

Sawa, Babu. By the way, the ghost of the fortress left a gift in the living room, which you should see. Tom and I have decided you should bring your new boyfriend to meet us. I’ll make him samosas with pepper.

Tani grinned and glanced at Dante.

“What are samosas?”

“Triangle pastries filled with beefy yummyness,” Tani said. “Hera is a master with them. You’ll love them.”

“Can’t wait to try them then,” Dante said.

“Just so you know, she’s going to ask many questions,” Tani said, putting away his phone.

“Does she know about our past?” Dante asked.

“No,” Tani shook his head. “And, I would like to keep it that way. Some parts of my life are difficult to share with Tom and Hera. Our long connection is part of that.”

“I understand,” Dante said, tangling his fingers with Tani’s left hand again.

“Just how long has the Elderwood Conservancy existed?” Landi asked, sipping his tea.

“Elderwood has been around in various forms since the thirteenth century. My uncle named it.”

“Uncle?” Dante asked.

“Mm,” Tani said, turning to Dante. “He would have given you the tour when you came, but he had a pressing engagement. He’s my…guardian.”

“Will I meet him too?” Dante asked. “Will he approve of me?”

Tani chuckled.

“I doubt he has a choice at this point. We’ve been—”

Tani broke off, biting his bottom lip, his gaze on Dante.

“He’s been part of us for a long time. He knows everything about you.”

“Oh,” Dante said.

“What kind of work does the conservancy do?” Christophe asked. “In this age.”

“It has always protected your kind,” Tani said. “You’re not the only recipient of our care. Though, I wasn’t sure of your bloodline at the time. Many like you need our care, even now.”

“Like my father?” Landi asked.

“Your father was a mortal,” Tani cut in, studying Landi, wondering how to convey his suspicions without seeming insensitive. “If the power was in him, it remained dormant. Instead, he was a damaging force. I doubt anyone could have saved him from himself. Once his quest for fortune failed, it was not in him to return to his true family here, so he kept you and your mother in pain and poverty. In a way, he forged you.”

Landi sighed and nodded in agreement.

“I’ve always wondered if he had the gift.”

“He did not,” Tani shook his head. His phone buzzed again, and he reached for it to find a picture sent by Hera. It was the file he requested and the book with Atri House’s lineage. They were on the desk in his private library.

“Thank you. Will plan for you to meet Dante. Please don’t give him a hard time. He is my heart.”

Tani messaged Hera back and summoned the file and book to him. He moved his plate and teacup to the side so the book and the thick folder could fall on the table. No one at the table flinched in surprise. They had clearly seen more elaborate designs of magik.

“This book records your house and claims the current head of the house is Christophe Arturo.” Tani opened it to the fire element pages and held the book to Landi. “I think it was recorded using hearsay. If you would help correct the record for future generations working in our Elderwood Conservancy.”

“We will,” Christophe said, taking the book from Landi. He started reading the contents and paused. “This is fascinating. Are you saying Artri is the only lineage with fire?”

“Yes,” Tani said. “There has not been any other. Any discovered anyway.”

“Oh,” Landi said. “We’re so rare.”

“I think your patriarch is very strict with himself. Your house should be the only one he created,” Tani said, opening the old file from the Andalusia period.

He searched and found the innkeeper's name who submitted a request to find Landi.

It read, ‘Onnik Kinno.’

Tani grinned at the god of fire’s unmistakable originality.

Onnik Kinno. First and Last name, each one an anagram of Kinon.

Must you reveal Master’s clear lack of originality?” Artri whispered in Tani’s head.

Not my fault he could not think up a good name for his mortal lover,” Tani replied. ‘Onnik Kinno.’

Artri huffed, and Tani bit back his amused laugh.

Landi’s true father was Kinon, the god of fire himself. Tani sighed. Kinon must have been very invested in strengthening Dante’s line to have renewed the bloodline.

This…he would have to discuss with Dante later.

He returned the file to his library and sat back in his chair to drink tea. His gaze was on Christophe and Landi, who were busy counting down the number of generations they needed to add to the book.

Dante used tongs to fill Tani’s plate with cheese cubes, grapes, toasted fresh bread, and a mix of cold meats.

“I have a question,” Nora said. She had settled in a chair at the head of the table on Tani’s side. “What is your Ekho clan, Tani?”

“I am a hybrid,” Tani said. “Also, I’m a deviant Ekho sent to the mortal world to serve a sentence. My affiliations with any clan have ended at this point.”

“Because of your beloved?” Dante asked, studying his plate of food with great interest.

“Partly,” Tani said. “I was still in the mortal realm even before my punishment. There are reasons for that, too.”

“Oh,” Nora said, nodding. “So, would you be willing to give us more information about the Ekho Realm?”

“Yes,” Christophe said, looking up from the lineage book. “I mean, our institute is in dire need of information about your kind. What we know is like folklore. We teach it, but it’s not the same as offering truth. Is that something you would be willing to share?”

“It would depend,” Tani said, accepting the fork Dante handed him. “I might be a deviant, but I am still sworn to the laws of our kind. They include not giving mortals too much information about our kind.”

“It’s hardly fair,” Landi said. “Your kind has all the power. You come here and create the ekho-blessed. We now have to contend with deadly parasites like Kara ot. Don’t you think keeping us in the dark about your kind is unfair?”

Tani chuckled and sat back in his seat.

“I suppose you are right,” Tani said. “Those in the Elderwood Conservancy have spent time with me and my uncle. What they know has been largely from dealing with us and situations that occur through time. We handle the worst brought by the Ekho Realm. We don’t share the information with outsiders because it can also prove dangerous. I suppose it is because of Uncle Amu—”

“Can we join the conservancy?” Landi asked. “Including us in Elderwood will mean you violate no agreements with your people.”

“Who are we?” Tani asked, popping a grape into his mouth. “Artri House or the school you both run. The one that made Dante?”

“Both,” Nora said, drawing Tani’s gaze.

“Mom,” Dante started.

“Artri House includes me,” Nora said, sipping her tea. “The institute does not. Tani, I saw how you were with Hera and Tom. Who is Hera to you?”

“She is my ward,” Tani said. “Why?”

“You respect her opinions,” Nora said. “I feel Elderwood does that for the women of our kind. I want to be part of it.”

“Nora,” Christophe said, staring at his wife in shock. “You run Artri House unfettered. Why would you say we don't include you?”

What did you do when I told you Landi had placed a silencing spell on me?” Nora asked.

Christophe stopped, his gaze shifting to Dante.

Tani watched Dante sip his tea without pause. He decided to relax and enjoy breakfast, too.

“You did nothing,” Nora answered for Christophe. “Our son confronted Landi the moment he discovered the truth. So, I am no longer spelled thanks to Dante. This is why I can tell Tani that the Ekho I trade with is called Aero. He is from the Dragon Clan.”

Tani placed his fork down and frowned.

“Aero. I’ve known of him. He runs auctions across the world. Elderwood has watched him for some time now. The results of his auctions have been mostly harmless. But now, with the wicked black weed…”

Tani’s frown deepened in thought.

The dragon clan was in peace with most clans in the Ekho Realm, but they were a cunning race. They were noble and ferocious. They loved wealth and precious jewels. They did not discriminate against the people they traded with, especially if it meant attaining a coveted item. Which could mean Aero brought Kara ot for the right price.

“Tani?” Dante touched his elbow.

Tani met worried brown eyes.

“Perhaps your grandmaster is right,” Tani said with a small sigh. “Our traits make us. In saying that, Aero’s dragon traits are important. He might have brought the black weed. I need to call in someone, Dante. Do not lock them out.”

“I don’t—”

“It is your will that runs Artri House,” Tani murmured. “I won’t go with them, but we must work quickly. Aero is dangerous. Trust me.”

“I do,” Dante said. “Do what you need to do.”

Tani smiled and turned to Nora.

“Thank you for sharing the name with me,” Tani said. “I’ll bring someone who will help resolve this mystery. He can also accept Artri House and your school’s application to join Elderwood. I can only help you up to here. The rest is up to you.”

Nora nodded consent, and Tani closed his eyes and reached out to Amu.

‘Uncle.’

‘Tani, where are you?’ Amu responded.

‘Please visit Artri House. Use me as an anchor to find it,” Tani said.

Tani hesitated, then clenched his hands into tight fists as he added.

“You may bring the Ekho goddess of earth with you.”

“We’ll be there,” Amu answered.

Tani ended the connection and swallowed down his annoyance with including Eren. The thought of helping the Septum left him angry, but he could not leave the members of this house vulnerable.

Dante’s warm hand covered his left fist. He looked up to find Dante studying him.

“You okay?” Dante asked.

“I’m fine,” Tani said, his heart skipping at the warmth in Dante’s eyes. He wished they were alone.

Tani consoled himself with the fact that they would be sooner or later. Reaching for the tea glass before me, he took a sip. “Nora, the breakfast spread looks delicious. Atri House sure does have the best meals. Dante cooked last night, and it was amazing.”

“Meals are the soul of a house,” Nora answered. “It is good to have everyone in the house meet at the table to touch base.”

“Meals are how you discover who has spelled who in the family,” Dante said, making Nora chuckle, and Christophe and Landi scowled at him.

“Then you serve tea after serious threats,” Nora added. “Grandmaster would know very much about such an incident.”

“Really?” Tani turned his inquiring gaze at Landi.

“Yes, Dante threatened to rip me to pieces with liquid silver on Wednesday. He wanted me to remove the spell on Nora. I did it, and then Nora served us breakfast right here.”

Tani chuckled at his beloved’s petty nature.

“You have a mean streak, Dante,” Tani said, glancing at Dante.

“I was protecting Mom,” Dante said, holding a piece of white cheese to Tani. “Try this, it’s delicious.”

Tani took a bite and nodded in agreement as he ate. He was sipping his tea when Amu and Eren shimmered into the kitchen.

The wave of white light that filled the kitchen surprised Nora. She dropped the butter knife she held to stare at the two Ekhos in her kitchen.

Tani stood then, and Dante followed his gaze to Amu.

“Uncle,” Tani said in greeting.

“Tani,” Amu said, with a slight nod in greeting. “So this is Artri House.”

“Yes,” Tani held out his hand to a stunned Landi. “He is the eldest of the Artri line, followed by Christophe and his wife, Nora. They are Dante’s parents.”

“Children of Kinon,” Eren said, her gaze fixated on Dante. “You…you’re the culmination of his power. How extraordinary.”

Tani ignored Eren’s observations and faced Dante’s family.

“May I introduce Amu Izuna, born of the Fox Lord Nua Izuna. He is the brother of the fox goddess. He takes the last name Ryuzo in the mortal realm to honor my roots. She is Eren, the Ekho goddess of the earth. She is from the Immortal Clan and one of the Septum.”

Landi, Christophe, and Nora stood to give their greetings.

Dante’s came up much slower, his gaze on Eren.

“She contributed to the cuffs on your wrist,” Dante said, still holding Tani’s left hand. “Why is she here?”

Tani smirked, meeting Eren’s gaze.

“It is unavoidable,” Tani said, moving closer to Dante. He squeezed Dante’s fingers. “We need her authority to control Aero.”

“How should we address you?” Landi asked.

“Amu and Eren,” Amu said, looking at the laden table. “Sorry for intruding during your breakfast.”

“Not at all,” Nora said. “You are welcome to join us. Have a seat. I’ll brew some more tea.”

“Thank you for the offer, but not this time,” Amu said, shaking his head. “We have an appointment we must keep elsewhere. Cale waits for us.”

“The god of calamity?” Dante asked with a frown. “Why would you associate with him?”

“I would ask why we are associating with mortals.” Eren countered.

Dante gaped at her.

“These mortals are Ekho-blessed, guarded by Kinon,” Tani said, frowning at Eren. “I called you here because Nora Arturo has given us the name of the Ekho who visits this manor. He is Aero from the dragon clan.”

“Aero, the owner of the Kur Auction,” Amu said, his right brow rising in mild surprise. “Why would he visit here?”

Tani glanced at Nora and smiled when he saw her shiver with anxiety.

“Uncle, you know Aero needs to source items for auction,” Tani said. “Artri House is filled with great magik. They will cross paths. It is not taboo.”

“Of course,” Amu said, shifting his gaze to Nora, Christophe, and Landi. “Now that we know the possible source of the black weed, we can trace back his steps. We shall need help from the person Aero meets.”

“That is me,” Nora said.

Eren held out her hand.

Nora walked around Dante and Tani to reach her. They shimmered out of Artri House the moment Nora touched Eren’s hand.

“Don’t worry,” Amu said when Dante stepped forward, startled. “They will be back shortly.”

“Uncle,” Tani said, squeezing Dante’s hand. “Artri House would love to join the Elderwood network. Landi and Christophe also run a school they want to include. I told them you would hear them out.”

“Artri House is included in our network without question,” Amu said, gazing at Dante. “As it always is with one in his bloodline. His children and theirs after remain under our care.”

Dante held out his hand to Amu.

Amu took his hand in a firm handshake.

“Thank you,” Dante said.

“Don’t thank me,” Amu said, letting go of Dante’s hand after a moment. “I take care of what is important to Tani.”

“I am grateful for your care,” Dante said.

“Uncle,” Tani started.

“The culprit responsible for the black weed is almost caught. We know where to start looking to resolve this incident. Leave the search to Cale, Eren, and me,” Amu said, his gaze gentle when he looked at Tani. “The sand in the hourglass lessens. You should get on with it.”

Amu was giving him time with Dante. Releasing him from the search for Aero so that the trial might end without interference.

“This is the last chance,” Amu continued. “Give it your all and make sure there are no regrets.”

Tani smiled and stepped forward. He took Amu’s right hand and pressed the back to his forehead, showing respect for the man he considered his father in all the ways that mattered. He was keenly aware that his life would be miserable without Amu’s support.

Amu placed his palm on Tani’s head in a gentle blessing.

“Be careful out there,” Amu said. “I will let you know if any changes arise.”

Tani stepped away from Amu just as Nora and Eren returned to the kitchen. Nora sat in the closest chair when Eren let go of her hand and released a relieved breath. Her eyes shone with excitement.

“Mom, are you alright?” Dante asked, moving to Nora’s side.

“I’m very fine,” Nora said with a happy grin. “The teleporting was exciting. Lady Eren is very powerful. She traced Aero’s comings and goings at the beach. We discovered he uses a ship that docks not too far from our beach and comes in. They’ll find out more.”

“Mm,” Eren said, nodding as she turned to Amu. “I have marked his footsteps on the ground. I’ll be able to find him in this realm.”

“You’re indeed of the earth,” Amu said. “Before we leave, there is the topic of Elderwood and this house. Mrs. Arturo, why don’t we get started on an agreement? Tani, don’t let us keep you here.”

Tani looked to Dante with a small smile, relieved his uncle would take on the case with Aero.

“You wanted to stop by your office,” Tani said, remembering Dante’s wish for time alone. “Do you still want to take the sabbatical?”

Dante squeezed his mother’s right shoulder and moved from the table to stand beside Tani.

“Yes,” Dante said, taking Tani’s left hand. “I’d love it very much.”

“Then,” Tani said, tightening his hold on Dante’s hand. “Let’s go.”

Dante glanced at his family and gave them a short wave before Tani enveloped both in bright gold light. Tani teleported them out of Artri House, heading to Dante’s apartment in Istanbul.

***

Sawa - Okay
Song of the moment - Woke up in Love
Copyright © 2021 lilansui; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 27
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Let's hope that the search for the one that brought the kara ot is successful.  Could Aero be the one; or was he just the one that brought it?  

Dante and Tani are just so perfect together.  I can't wait to see if this is the lifetime that they will match up in and succeed.  

So, Kinon is the one that fathered this line.  Why did he choose to interfere and make sure that Dante had these gifts?  

Is there a battle in the Septum that we are not privy too?

Another chapter soon, please and thank you.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

My takeaway is the same as the other commenters; learning about Kinon is important. I’m interested to find what exactly Aero knows and who the source of the kara ot is.  

  • Love 4
Link to comment

A chapter of exposition--and food! I enjoyed hearing more about Landi and the establishment of the modern Atri House. (Kinnon has apparently been helping Tani behind the scenes.) Interesting that Dante has more power than Kinnon's actual son.

Hmmm. While Amu has no qualms about enrolling Atri House into the Elderwood Conservancy, the school is not included in his discussion. An oversight (or a polite way of saying no)?

So Aero may be the middle man who spread the devil root. That said, I can't see Zal coming out ahead in bargaining with the Dragon Clan.

And where is Lua? 👀

  • Love 4
Link to comment

It’s very interesting that outside forces led to the pairings that led to both Tani and Dante’s births as very powerful beings. Will be interesting if this comes to light, and what happens with their relationship, knowing now that they are both in love with each other.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Some of the phrasing is a bit confusing, I thought Nora was Christophe's daughter at first because of the way it was written. I'm also confused why Tani would think Kirion would know Lani would end up with the woman from Durante's line. Unless I'm missing something, Lani's mom had no connection and he would have had no idea the two families would cross paths

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..