Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 6,030 Words
  • 1,798 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Thousand Years of Hope - 8. Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

Tani was grateful when his feet sunk into the soft texture of the Turkish carpet in the living room of his house. Hera dropped into the closest armchair. Resting her head back, her eyes closed as she fought back the effects of his abrupt teleport.

“Why did we run from there?” she asked after a moment.

“Call Tom and tell him not to go to Artri House,” Tani said.

Hera reached into her pocket and pulled out her phone. She dialed Tom and caught him in the parking lot outside the fortress.

“You’d better park your car. We’re in Babu’s house,” Hera said. “Yes, Babu is awake and functioning. Something unusual happened at the vineyard. He’ll have to tell you.”

She ended the call and sat up, placing the book on the coffee table. She let out a heavy sigh.

We, si, I’m in shock,” Hera said, studying Tani. “Artri House is not ordinary. The people living there are not like other Ekho-blessed. Dante is too powerful. The firepower was deep inside him, and I couldn’t sense his fire. You are the only other person who makes me feel the same blankness. The clothes you have on are not usual, Babu. Where did you get them?”

Tani looked at the clothes he wore.

The red tunic was made of the finest fabric in the Ekho Realm. The threads were woven to withstand the ravages of a flame. It was a sincere gift from Kinon. The god of fire who kept Artri House locked away from Cale.

It made Tani wonder how he had managed to get out of Artri House. The house had allowed his teleport for Dante or for Nora. He didn’t know.

“I found them on the bed upstairs after my shower,” Tani said, unwilling to reveal that Kinon, the god of fire, a man he thought his enemy, had gifted his clothes.

“Are the Arturos good?” Hera asked. “Is Artri House a mystery we have to solve?”

“Are you nervous?” Tani asked, smiling at Hera.

“Maybe,” Hera said, staring at the little book on the coffee table. “I liked Nora. She was kind. She’s very observant and knew I had a daughter just by looking at the charm on my bracelet. I—”

“You admire her,” Tani said.

“She’s a strong woman,” Hera said. “Dante Arturo doesn’t look easy to bring up.”

Tani chuckled and shook his head.

Hera narrowed her gaze on him. She looked at him as though she could see his secret.

Tani wondered if she could see the joy filling him inside at the flicker of warmth left by the small part of Dante’s soul lingering inside him. The scent of jasmine still filled his nose. The knowledge that Dante would come looking for him to ask for his reward made him want to laugh.

Tani bit his bottom lip to stop his smile and turned away from Hera.

“Who is Dante to you?” she asked.

“Someone who needed a vineyard cleansed,” Tani said, clearing his throat. He started out of the living room, but Hera stopped him, placing her hand on his right arm.

Babu,” Hera said, her tone soft, vulnerable.

Tani looked at her then.

“I overheard Cale and Uncle Amu discussing a trial and a mortal who hurts you. That the trial will end and you will…,” she trailed off. “He’s not the one, is he? You won’t disappear, will you? I’m afraid if you leave, Deniz and I might not get to see you again.”

“Why won’t you see me?” Tani asked, gently pinching her cheek. “I’m here with you, Deniz, Tom, and Uncle Amu. Where am I going?”

“To the Ekho Realm,” Hera said, her eyes filling with tears.

Seeing her tears hurt.

She represented the part of the mortal world he wanted to keep. Tani wanted to see Hera find a genuine love of her own. He wanted to see Deniz get through school, graduate, find her passion, and pursue it. He wanted to help Hera plan her daughter’s wedding in the future. See Tom get married and hold his children. There was so much.

Where would he find the strength to leave them all if he failed with Dante?

Swallowing down the lump of tears in his throat, Tani smiled at Hera.

“Silly child,” he said now. “Why would I leave you and Deniz? Stop worrying and go freshen up. Get some rest. It’s been a long morning for all of us. Let’s have dinner tonight as a family. What do you think?”

“Will you cook?” Hera asked, giving him a smile that did not quite reach her eyes.

“Of course,” Tani said. “I’ll even get Cale to help and make him bring us wine. We’ll make Deniz’s favorite.”

“Meatballs again?” Hera sighed. “You and Cale are too much. You spoil Deniz.”

“She’s too cute not to spoil,” Tani said, kissing her soft cheek. “Stop worrying, Hera. All is well. I’m going upstairs to change out of these clothes. They feel foreign to me.”

“Okay,” Hera nodded and let go of Tani’s right arm.

Tani left the living room and headed upstairs to his private room. His heart felt heavy. The unshed tears in Hera’s eyes weighed on him. The most he could do about her fear was gift her terrific memories. He did not know what would happen after Dante’s thirty-sixth birthday.

If he failed to save Dante and could not win Dante’s love…a love he had no right to have now with Viola in the picture.

Would he have enough power to find a way to stay in the mortal realm for the family he had made here? Would he be lucid enough to fight the Septum?

Letting out a soft sigh, Tani decided to push these worries aside. He was comfortable in a t-shirt, jeans, or sweats, so he would change and take a quick nap. Afterward, he would head downstairs and cook for his family.

He would dwell on Dante and the secrets of Artri House another day.

****

That evening, Tani was busy skewering marinated beef pieces for kebabs when Cale strolled in carrying a bottle of red wine.

“We’re cooking,” Cale said, stopping at the kitchen entrance to take in the scents. “Meatballs for young Deniz, kebabs for everyone else, and side dishes. You’re busy, little lordling.”

“You’ve been gone,” Tani said, adding pieces of beef to his skewer. He spared Cale a glance, noting the new gray suit. “Did you stop by the tailor?”

“Your idiot beloved seared my new suit,” Cale said, placing the bottle on the kitchen table.

Cale removed his suit jacket and arranged it neatly on the back of a chair. He then folded the sleeves of his white shirt to his elbows and went to wash his hands at the sink. He wiped his hands on a hand cloth at the sink and unhooked a black apron from a hook on the wall.

Tani hid a smile at the caption on the front.

It read, ‘I make a mean deviled egg.’ The apron was Hera’s gift to Cale.

“Is the singed suit why you left me with Dante?” Tani asked, watching Cale pick up the bowl of clean tomatoes and peeled onions. “I was unconscious, Cale. You should have brought me here.”

“Dante said you promised to stay at Artri. He looked desperate to keep you,” Cale said, finding a knife. He started slicing and dicing, popping a slice of tomato into his mouth in between. “You know I don’t mess around with warlocks of fire. Their firepower is pure. I teleported you outside his bewitched manor, and he took over. I am surprised to see you walking and making family dinner.”

“Me too,” Tani said, pausing to study the gold cuffs he had not bothered hiding. He was home with his family. They all knew he wore the cuffs. No need to hide them. “Dante took the pain from me and burned it away using a conduit spell.”

“Whoa,” Cale let out a whistle. “Artri House has a powerful gene pool to manage a spell that can heal you.”

Tani thought about Kinon and Artri House’s whispers. He started mentioning Kinon as the Septum member who gifted Dante with fire. Something inside him stopped his words. He found himself biting his bottom lip and keeping the secret.

Please don’t tell yet,’ Artri whispered in his head.

Tani stood still, staring at the skewer he held.

How could he still hear the manor? Why was the manor begging to keep a secret from Cale?

“Tani?”

He looked up to find Cale watching him.

“What?” Tani asked.

“You’ve been staring at the skewer for a minute and a half. Is something wrong with the beef?” Cale asked.

“No,” Tani said, shaking his head.

Tani adjusted the meat cubes on the skewer and lined it up with the six skewers he had already made. He pushed away thoughts of Artri House and concentrated on his cooking.

“Were you in the Ekho Realm?” Tani asked.

“Yes, they wanted to know why I took the cuffs off,” Cale said, finishing with the tomatoes and onions. He gathered a bunch of lettuce and went to rinse them at the sink. “Your father asked about you. He invited you to stay at the Citadel when your trial ends.”

Tani dropped the skewer he had picked up and braced his hands on the kitchen counter. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and let it out.

Tani took in the air again and let it out slowly. There was no way to escape the wave of anger building inside him when he thought about his parents.

His anger bordered on unquenchable rage. There were times he worried it would consume him.

His parents were not creatures he understood.

How did they end up together? Why did they choose to have him? Why did they bother to bring him into a world where they could not live together as a family? Why did his mother hate him? Why did Sunu, his father, refuse to accept Tani’s beloved?

Yes, he lived with a deep anger directed at his parents.

It ate at him, at his soul. The heavyweight in his chest threatened to choke him, and for a minute, he thought he might cry out. Then, the anger lifted off, disappearing, replaced with warmth.

‘Breathe.’ A soft murmur filled his head.

Tani breathed air; relief filled him, replacing the flood of anger. He felt calm again.

What was that?

Was it Artri House again? How? Why was it able to neutralize his emotions?

“Drink this,” Cale said, pushing a glass of wine into his right hand. “I’m sorry I brought your father up. He asked about you. He said he wished he could do more for you. I needed to let you know.”

Tani sipped his wine and nodded, preoccupied by the restorative warmth filling him. It felt too similar to the connection with Dante earlier in the day.

“It’s not easy for Sunu,” Cale said.

“I—” Tani stared into his glass.

It wasn’t easy for him either. What was he supposed to say about a father he barely knew?

“Cale,” Tani said, placing his wine glass on the work table. “It’s been a long day. Can we shelve my father’s message for another day?”

“Okay,” Cale said. “Full disclosure: I brought someone to visit.”

“Who have you brought now?” Tani asked, glaring at Cale.

“Someone who needs a place to sleep,” Cale said. “My apartment has only one bedroom. You know I spend all my time here with you. It would be horrible to take a guest there. Are you willing to host?”

“The fortress is open to guests,” Tani said.

“She’s not fortress fodder,” Cale said.

“Cale.”

“Little Lordling, only your good fortune can keep her comfortable in this mortal realm,” Cale said. “If she stays with mortals, she will scar them for life. I should warn you. I left her standing outside.”

“Outside my front door?” Tani asked.

“Yes.”

“You’re an idiot,” Tani said, shaking his head. “Who did you bring?’

“Eren, goddess of earth.”

“Damn it,” Tani sighed. How many members of the Septum would he meet in a day? “Go get her before she makes all my elder bushes bloom for no reason.”

“Um.”

Cale pointed to the picture window at the kitchen sink, showing off the garden outside the house. The elder bushes near the house were filled with white flowers. Unusual for this time of year, every mortal in the fortress would notice the sudden splash of white flowers.

“Damn it, she’s ruining my ecosystem. I would tell you to clean it up, but you’ll suck the life out of the Elderwood,” Tani said, watching a sizeable elder bush fill with flowers. “Go get her before she turns the flowers into berries. She can stay, but you get to babysit her. This can’t happen again. Poor Tom will have to come up with an explanation about the weather.”

“Your temper has improved. You haven’t run to the door to kick my guest out. I really want to know what they did to you at Artri House,” Cale said.

“Let’s say it’s been a long day, and I’m exhausted,” Tani said, picking up a skewer. “I don’t have time to chase around a member of the Septum. If she stays here, she lives by the house rules. She eats our food and respects Tom, Hera, and Deniz. I’m not accommodating her because she’s from the Septum.”

“I’ll be sure to lay out the rules,” Cale said, heading to the front door to invite Eren, the Ekho goddess of earth, into Tani’s house.

****

Tani served dinner at seven-thirty. The dining table in the kitchen was rectangular and could accommodate eight seats. On a usual night, they used six chairs, but tonight, the table felt packed with an additional chair. Amu sat at the head of the table; to his immediate right was Tom, then Cale, and Eren.

Tani sat beside Amu’s immediate left, Deniz beside him, and Hera.

Tani passed his uncle the platter with the kebabs and shifted to help Hera serve Deniz. He placed three meatballs for Deniz and watched Hera add the fresh tomato sauce and a scoop of vegetable stew on Deniz’s plate.

“Aunt Eren, are you really like Babu and Uncle Cale?” Deniz asked, stabbing a meatball with her fork. Her bright eyes were intent on Eren across the table.

Tani arranged the napkin tucked into the neckline of her pink dress. Running his hand over soft, thick braids with colorful tips. He sat back in his chair and looked at Eren, waiting.

“Who is Babu?” Eren asked Cale in a not-so-quiet whisper.

Eren stared at Deniz with wide eyes.

“Me,” Tani said, answering for Cale. He smiled at Deniz’s enthusiasm when she bit into her meatball. “Answer Deniz’s question, please.”

Eren nodded.

“I’m most like your Babu,” Erin said. “I don’t think your Uncle Cale—”

“Uncle Cale is awesome. He pushes me really high on the swing in the garden,” Deniz said with a wide smile. “I don’t get scared when he’s with me. I go really high.”

“You two have vowed to give me a heart attack,” Hera said with a shudder. “Uncle Cale, stop making my daughter a daredevil.”

Cale chuckled, and Eren gave him a wary glance.

“How can a mortal child dare to call you uncle?” Eren asked Cale, the shock in her voice evident. “What’s wrong with these mortals?”

“Deniz is not afraid of me,” Cale said to Eren.

“It’s very odd,” Eren said, shaking her head. “Lord Tani, how does your ward and her daughter not understand what Cale is?”

“We understand who Cale is just fine,” Hera said, narrowing her gaze at Eren. “He’s been good to us, to Babu. Why would we be afraid of him?”

“Your voice indicates I have somehow offended you,” Eren said.

“It’s not fun being talked about while I’m sitting here,” Hera said. “I can answer any questions you have about Deniz and me.”

Eren looked to Tani, her gaze requesting help.

Tani shrugged and picked up his glass of wine. He took a lazy sip and nodded at Hera.

Eren turned to Cale, who concentrated on the food on his plate. Eren took a deep breath and faced Hera.

“I apologize for being rude,” Eren said. “This is your home, and I’m a guest.”

“You’re forgiven,” Hera said, reaching for the bowl with the lettuce salad. She served a healthy portion and focused on eating.

Tom chuckled next to Cale, and Hera winked at him.

“This house is very informal,” Eren said.

“We’re family. It should be informal,” Amu said, speaking for the first time. “What brings you to the mortal realm, Eren?”

“The Septum asked me to fortify the land Lord Tani cleansed today.”

“Stop calling me a Lord. I don’t live in the Citadel,” Tani said.

“How can I address Lord Sunu’s son by his name?” Eren asked.

“I stopped being his son the moment you lot put these cuffs on me,” Tani said, showing her his right wrist. “Uncle Amu is my father.”

Eren gaped.

“Don’t look so shocked, Eren,” Tani said. “The Septum should have expected it the moment I wore these cuffs. If you didn’t, you’re all a bunch of idiots.”

“Tani,” Amu said, drawing Tani’s gaze. “Eren is a guest at our table. Don’t be impolite.”

Tani held Amu’s gaze momentarily, wanting to rebel against Amu’s censure. Amu’s gaze was kind when he looked at him, so he could only sigh and then turn to Eren.

“Please call me Tani,” he said, keeping his tone cordial.

Eren sighed.

“Lord Amu,” Eren said. “Your dining table is quite the experience.”

Amu chuckled and continued eating his food.

Babu already cleaned the kara ot,” Tom said. “Why do you need to check the vineyard?”

“To understand the origin of the black weed,” Eren said. “I wanted to follow the black weed's path to the vineyard.”

“So, did you find it?” Hera asked.

“No,” Eren said, glancing at Tani. “Lo—Tani’s work was thorough. He burned away the black weed and restored the soil. The vineyard will flourish for years; the soil is richer than it was. The olive grove is already looking very vibrant.”

“It would,” Cale said with a little chuckle. He winked when Tani looked at him. “The Arturo Vineyard is very important to someone.”

“Oh,” Eren said, waiting for an explanation but getting none from Cale. “The mystery of who brought the black weed still needs to be solved. Such a large infestation in the mortal realm is cause for concern. I’m here to request a favor from Lord Amu.”

“Eren,” Amu said. “We are at the dinner table, having a family dinner. Any favors you want to ask me can wait until later. Please try the kebabs. Tani made them tonight. The meat is very well done.”

Tani nodded and scooped meatballs from the bowl before him. He added some to his plate and met Deniz’s curious gaze.

Babu, are you taking my meatballs?” Deniz asked.

“Don’t you want to share with me?” Tani asked, stabbing one with his fork. He brought it to his mouth and took a bite. “Mm, delicious. What about you?”

Deniz took the last bite of the meatball on her fork, and she nodded as she chewed.

“Mm, delicious,” she declared, making Tani chuckle. “Babu, you make the best meatballs. I’ll share it only with you. I want to eat meatballs every day. Will you make them?”

“Of course,” Tani said.

“Does Mama get a vote on this plan?” Hera asked.

“No,” Tani and Deniz said, making everyone laugh at the table.

Hera sighed, took a lettuce leaf, wrapped it around a meatball, and held it out to Deniz. Tani did the same with his meatballs and made a show of eating the lettuce wrap. Deniz took hers with less enthusiasm, but she ate the lettuce.

“Did the vineyard pay its dues?” Amu asked Tom. “After all, their soil is now restored.”

“I got a payment from Nora Arturo this afternoon,” Tom said. “Dante has also put in a request. He asks for permission to bring a class to tour the fortress.”

“We haven’t had such a request in a while,” Amu said, amused. “Should we let him?”

Tani frowned into his wine glass.

“When did he ask you for the tour?” Tani asked Tom.

“Late this afternoon,” Tom said. “He wanted your phone number, but I would not give it. So, he made a request to visit the Elderwood Conservancy fortress. He says there is a class at the Koc University he would like to bring for a tour.”

Tani bit back a smile and sipped his wine.

Did Nora reveal her secrets to Dante?

Tani wondered if the secrets had to do with Kinon. He had promised himself not to think of Dante until tomorrow. He sighed. It was impossible not to think about him.

“Should we allow him the tour?” Tom asked.

“Yes. I think it’s time I see what Dante is like this cycle,” Amu said. “I like talking about the fortress. Molding young minds can be quite entertaining.”

“Uncle Amu,” Tani chided.

“I promise to be gentle with them,” Amu said.

Tani met Tom’s gaze and grinned when Tom shuddered. Tom would have to accompany Uncle Amu. In case, Uncle Amu decided to show off his fox tails to the mortals. The last time he tried it, the government insisted on an audit of their research labs.

“I still have a matter to discuss,” Eren said, drawing Tani’s attention. Her expression was enough to tell him whatever request she wanted from Amu was not easy.

Deniz yawned, and Tani returned his attention to her. She had eaten her meatballs and half the vegetables on her plate. She was now rubbing her eyes with her fists. Sleep was calling her.

Tani took his napkin and placed it on the table.

“Deniz, how about I read you a story tonight?” Tani asked, turning to the little girl Hera loved with all her heart.

Deniz turned light brown eyes on him, and he smiled at the tomato sauce on the corner of her lips. Tani reached for his napkin and wiped the brown sauce from her golden brown skin. She nodded in approval and sent her thick braids dancing around her head. The colorful ribbons on the tips of the braids made him smile. He had helped tie them on.

Tani touched a red rubber band and wondered if he would get a chance to tie Deniz’s hair in the future. Would Deniz still like making thick braids and tying them with colorful rubber bands when she grew older?

In a strange twist of fate, he owed Dante for helping find this family. He would never have met Deniz if he weren’t tied to Dante, Tani thought.

Tani remembered the feel of Dante’s palms on his face, and he let go of Deniz’s hair. Dante’s smile filled his thoughts. The way he had looked as he wiped away the tears on Tani’s cheeks. Tani wished he had been courageous enough to kiss Dante at that moment, but it felt too soon. They might have met a long time ago, but today was their first time this cycle. Tani sighed and wiped a hand down his face.

“Are we going to finish reading The Lightning Thief?” Deniz asked, pulling him out of the melancholia settling over him.

“We’ll try,” Tani said, then glanced at Hera. She wrinkled her nose at him, and he adjusted his promise. “We can get through one chapter. Mama wants you asleep soonest.”

“Two chapters,” Deniz negotiated.

“One and a quarter,” Hera answered, helping Deniz get off her chair. “Take your plate to the sink, baby.”

“Okay,” Deniz said, taking her plate and her fork. “One and a third.”

Tani grinned and got up, too.

“One and a half,” Hera said. “That’s my final offer, kiddo.”

“Two chapters,” Deniz said and raced to the kitchen sink.

Tani laughed.

“She wins for being audacious.”

“You’re training a terror,” Hera said, shaking her head.

Tani started to reach for his plate.

“Leave it,” Hera said. “You cooked. We’ll clean up. You get Deniz to bed.”

Tani nodded and held out his hand to Deniz when she returned to his side.

“Tell everyone goodnight,” Tani said.

“Goodnight, everyone,” Deniz said.

“Goodnight, Deniz,” Cale, Amu, and Tom chorused.

“Goodnight, Young Deniz,” Eren said last, amusement clear in her voice.

“I’ll stop by your room to check on you,” Hera said.

“Okay, Mama,” Deniz said, leading Tani out of the kitchen.

Tani followed Deniz, keeping to her pace. She was excited about continuing with Percy Jackson’s adventures.

Tani wanted to avoid dealing with Eren. The members of the Septum always had an agenda with their requests. He tried to delay knowing why Eren was in his house as long as possible. If Amu could deal with it first, then all the better.

“Bathroom first?” Tani asked when they got upstairs.

“Brush our teeth,” Deniz agreed, showing him her pearly whites. “I don’t want to have cavities.”

“Good girl,” Tani said, opening the door to the suite Hera and Deniz used.

Deniz ran to the bathroom.

Tani closed the door when he heard Eren start talking downstairs.

****

“Lord Amu,” Eren said. “I would like to ask for your help. I want to visit the fox clan lands.”

“No.” Amu shook his head and crossed his arms against his chest.

“Are you not going to give me a chance to explain my request?” Eren asked.

“No.” Amu frowned. “The Septum is not the only entity with rules in the Ekho Realm. The Fox Clan has blocked its borders to the Immortal Clan. It is treason to allow one of you into our lands.”

“Treason?” Eren gaped. “Don’t you think it is extremely hostile of the fox goddess Anit? We do not refuse your clan members to visit our lands.”

“Have you seen one of ours in your lands these last thousand years?” Amu asked, narrowing his gaze at her.

Eren sat back in thought. After a moment, she shook her head, and Cale bit back a chuckle. He would have reminded her that foxes had a strange sense of loyalty. If they believed in a cause, no one could turn them away.

“Why doesn’t the fox clan enter the immortal lands?” Tom asked. “I thought the Ekho Realm was peaceful?”

“It is,” Amu said. “Mostly. We have our prejudices. The fox clan can hold long grudges. The deepest one is tied to the fact that the fox goddess’s son is held hostage in the mortal realm, serving a thousand-year sentence for loving a mortal.”

Babu doesn’t speak to his mother,” Tom said, helping Hera take plates to the sink.

“Just because they are estranged doesn’t mean he is not a Fox Lord. He is her son. He is young and deserves to be in our ranks, living as he chooses. No one should punish him for his choices at his current age. Our fox clan wonders what will happen to him when he is as old as Sunu or Anit.”

“Loving a mortal is not why he is in the mortal realm,” Eren said. “Choosing to bind his soul to a fleeting life is why. What if all Ekhos start doing the same? Do you understand the repercussions? We would have more Ekhos choosing to live here in the mortal realm. Changing fates of mortal lives—”

“Tani has followed the rules the Septum laid out,” Cale said. “He has made no effort to find a way to extend his beloved’s life beyond his natural cycle. He keeps the secrets of the Ekho Realm and bonded mates. You cannot accuse him of a crime he has not committed.”

“He might be innocent of my words, but others would not be so conscious of the rules,” Eren pointed out. “Thankfully, rumors of Tani’s punishment have controlled the Ekho population in the mortal realm better than any threats we ever gave. Even the fox clan has reduced its misdeeds. No one has bonded their soul to a human, except for Tani Ryuzo.”

“I understand your speech, but the fox clan will not forget the trial easily. Why do you want to enter our lands?” Amu asked.

“I cannot find the path the Kara ot used at the vineyard. Concerns about a surge of black weed in the fox clan lands. The Kara ot may have used an unsuspecting fox with permissions from the inter-clan court to cross the Palladium Gates,” Eren said.

She glanced at Cale.

“The black weed is controlled in all the lands I can enter. I have no knowledge of infestation in the fox clan lands. You must help me talk to the fox goddess Anit,” Eren said, her voice filled with urgency. “Knowing if the fox clan has an outbreak will be helpful. Or if she knows who might have brought the black weed to the mortal realm.”

Cale nodded along to Eren’s words.

Eren’s entry into the fox clan would allow him to snoop around the Inter Clan Court. Find out the identity of the culprit pretending to be from his Dark Fort. It would get the Sentinel off his back.

“The fox clan is relatively quiet,” Amu said. “I was there a few days ago. Anit did not mention any issues with black weed.”

“She might not mention it to you because you’re never at court,” Cale pointed out.

Amu narrowed his gaze at him.

“What would you know of my sister’s thoughts?” Amu asked.

“I know nothing of what Anit is thinking,” Cale said, reaching for his wine glass. He took a sip and sat back in his chair. “I’m only noting that she might not have mentioned a problem when you were visiting her.”

Amu sighed and shook his head.

“I’m surprised the god of calamity would want to help Eren,” Amu said. “After all, she has contributed to Tani’s never-ending pain.”

Eren sighed.

“Lord Amu,” she started.

“I will not take you into the fox clan lands without my sister’s permission,” Amu said. “There are no secrets between us. We are not the immortal clan, Eren. Anit knows what I do, and I know what she does for Tani's sake. I’m not taking you into the fox clan lands.”

“Fine, I don’t have to step into the fox clan lands,” Eren said, lifting her hands in surrender. “Help me find a way to talk to fox goddess Anit then. Court to court. She’s in charge of the fox clan. I’m worried about the corruption of black weed spreading from the Ekho Realm to the mortal realm. Surely, we can meet discreetly to discuss an issue affecting our people.”

Amu studied her for a full minute before he shook his head and looked at Cale.

“Is this what you went to discuss with the Septum?” Amu asked. “To get me to convince Anit to talk to her?”

“Amu, you and I have been at this for years. You will know not to take what I say next lightly,” Cale said.

Amu nodded and extended his right hand in invitation.

“There is something off,” Cale said, staring into his wine glass. “The black weed at the Arturo Vineyard was too large. The culprit who brought it to the vineyard knew Tani would need to get his cuffs removed to cleanse it. Corruption was one part of his or her goal. The second goal was anticipating what would happen to Tani after I returned his cuffs on him. Tani should have been down for months, almost a year after I returned the cuffs on him.”

Amu sat up.

“True,” Amu said. “The pain is usually too much. It takes him too long to recover. Which makes me wonder, how is he up?”

“His beloved is stronger than we thought,” Cale said. “Something about burning Tani’s pain away. Artri House has its secrets. Dante’s resourcefulness changes the field. We now have a chance to uncover a hidden game. Anit is crucial to Eren’s answers.”

And mine,’ Cale thought.

“She heads the Inter Court Clan,” Amu said.

“Yes.” Cale nodded in agreement. “Besides, Kara ot is not an easy matter. All Ekho agree it should never grow unchecked in the Mortal Realm.”

“I’ll make a formal request to see Anit through the inter-clan court,” Amu said. “I have an appeal made by a minor fox that needs attention. I would ask her to meet me here to discuss it.”

Eren held her breath, waiting.

“I’m not promising she will want to talk to you, Eren,” Amu continued. “However, I’ll make your case.”

“She comes here?” Eren asked, surprised.

“Yes,” Hera said, leaning over Cale for the platter holding the kebabs.

The platter was now empty. All the skewers eaten.

Cale got up and took the platter for her. She smiled and patted his shoulder in thanks. Cale took the platter to the sink and washed it.

“She walks around the fortress,” Hera said to Eren as she collected the blue placemats from the dining table. “Does her best to look mortal, but there is no hiding she is other. Regal, too beautiful thanks to the red hair and her green eyes with slits like a fox. They call her the ghost of the fortress. She’s become a beloved myth.”

Cale returned to the table to get his wine glass. He drank the last of it, leaning on the table's edge as he watched Hera finish wiping it.

“She scares all the ladies on the third floor when she wanders into their bathrooms,” Tom said. “Uncle Amu, talk to her, please. Tell her to stop perpetuating the ghost of the fortress myth.”

Amu chuckled and winked at Eren.

“It’s work to keep a balance in our home,” Amu said. “Tom, you can blame the ghost of the fortress for the blooming elder bushes.”

“Great idea,” Tom said with a sigh.

“I’ll visit Anit,” Amu said, pushing his chair back; he rose with a negligent roll of his shoulders. “It might take a few days. I’ll get back to you with her decision.”

“Thank you,” Eren said, giving him a formal nod.

“You’re welcome to stay,” Amu said. “Hera, show her where she can rest.”

“I will,” Hera said, taking the placemats to the kitchen counter.

“What about the tour Dante requested?” Tom asked.

Amu paused and looked up at the ceiling.

“Tani built it; he can be a great guide, too,” Amu said after a moment. “I could never interfere with their meeting. No matter what I did, they always got to spend their time together. Call Dante and grant him permission.”

Cale smiled in triumph and took his wine glass to the sink.

“Cale,” Amu said.

“Yes,” Cale said when he turned and found Amu watching him.

“Whatever you’re hiding from me, I hope it won’t hurt him,” Amu said. “Elderwood is open to you only if you protect him.”

“I know,” Cale said.

Amu nodded and left the kitchen.

Cale placed his glass on the rack. When he turned to wipe his hands on the kitchen cloth, he found Hera beside him. She watched him with expectation.

“What is this vibe?” Hera asked. “You, Uncle Amu…Babu. Why is he looking so lost in thought? Is something going to happen to him?”

“No,” Cale said.

“Liar,” Hera said, unflinching, looking into his dark eyes. “Don’t answer so quickly when you’re lying, Cale. Tell me why you’re all in a state of finality.”

“It’s hard to explain,” Cale said, shrugging his shoulders. He rolled the sleeves of his shirt down and cuffed them. “Besides, it’s not my story to tell, dear Hera. Babu will tell you when he’s ready.”

Hera sighed and leaned on the kitchen sink counter. “Is it bad?”

Cale looked to Eren, who was drinking water and sighed.

“It depends on perspective,” Cale said, then leaned in and kissed Hera’s right cheek. “Don’t worry. Tani will always ensure you, Tom, and Deniz are cared for.”

“Who will take care of Babu?” Hera asked.

“I’m hoping Dante will take up the job,” Cale said with a charming grin.

*****

**We, Si - (We, pronounced like the 'we' in 'well') literally translates to: You, aren't I. In this context, it is the tone they are used that matters. (Hera is implying she is very shocked by events :P) On a side note:  I just had a whole meeting in the house to discuss how to write this translation, hahaha, how long it took to decide on two words shocks me on the state of English. 
**Babu - grandfather.
Chapter Eight is up. Tani sort of preparing his heart for loss or gain, undetermined for him at this time.
Here is a song about wishes.
Sui.
Copyright © 2021 lilansui; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 21
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh my...what do you really think???

“We’re family. It should be informal,” Amu said, speaking for the first time. “What brings you to the mortal realm, Eren?”

“The Septum asked me to fortify the land Lord Tani cleansed today.”

“Stop calling me a Lord. I don’t live in the citadel,” Tani said.

“How can I address Lord Sunu’s son by his name?” Eren asked.

“I stopped being his son the moment you lot put these cuffs on me,” Tani said, showing her his right wrist. “Uncle Amu is my father.”

Eren gaped.

“Don’t look so shocked, Eren,” Tani said. “The Septum should have expected it the moment I wore these cuffs. If you didn’t, you’re all a bunch of idiots.”

“Tani,” Amu said, drawing Tani’s gaze. “Eren is a guest at our table. Don’t be impolite.”

Tani held Amu’s gaze for a moment, wanting to rebel against Amu’s censure. Amu’s gaze was kind when he looked at him, so he could only sigh, and then turn to Eren.

“Please call me Tani,” he said, keeping his tone cordial.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

Ok, Sui. 🤭🤣🤣 I love Hera so much for the way she talks. She sounds like most of us Kenyans who mix Swahili and English. 👏👏 You keep on impressing me.

 

Edited by Dazzling13
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
18 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Truly hate that Tani is so removed from his heritage on both sides.  Did not realize that he also did not have contact with his mother. 

Tani does have a very strained relationship with his parents. Their side of the story is coming up soon.  Anit does try her best to connect with Amu. Very interesting how heritage can be so important, yet so punishing...Tani's ended up making his own family in the mortal realm.

18 hours ago, Danilo Syrtis said:

after the god of fire, now the goddess of earth 😁

Everyone wants to come for dinner :) :gikkle:

17 hours ago, 84Mags said:

It is interesting that Tani is a Fox Lord, yet even though he has no real contact with his mother she seems aware of all that happens to him or involves him. 

 

He is half fox and half immortal lord. Anit will show up soon to explain herself, :)

14 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Oh my...what do you really think???

Right? Tani's out here telling it like it is.:joe:

6 hours ago, Dazzling13 said:

Ok, Sui. 🤭🤣🤣 I love Hera so much for the way she talks. She sounds like most of us Kenyans who mix Swahili and English. 👏👏 You keep on impressing me.

 

So proud of this. I'll keep working on it. :P Hera is a queen. She's Tanis' biggest fan.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

If I were Tani, I'd be annoyed at all the people who address me as "little lordling!"

I love that Atri Manor is a character in it's own right.

Now, who is the villain who brought black weed to Arturo's vineyard? I wonder if it's actually a god who supports Tani knowing that the black weed would force a meeting between Arturo and Tani!  That said, the trail looks like it's leading to the Fox clan: Since Anit herself visits the fortress, could it be the goddess herself?

With Tani the bridge between the Fox Clan and Immortal Clan, one would think that he would have been treated with kid gloves instead of punished in a way guaranteed to drive a wedge between the clans lasting a millennium.  Eren might get to speak with Anit, but what impetus is there for her to be helpful?

Best lines in the chapter: "Go get her [Eren] before she makes all my elder bushes bloom for no reason," and "Damn it, she’s ruining my eco-system." Hahahaha!

Sui, kudos for making conversation around a dining table into a riveting chapter!

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..