Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 4,182 Words
  • 1,736 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Thousand Years of Hope - 11. Chapter 11

Chapter Eleven

Tani’s gaze shifted to the round room. It was a museum of sorts. One he started at a low moment in the years between cycles when he missed Dante the most. When Dante hurt him, he sometimes suffered constant episodes of wanting to bring it down, burn the contents, and restructure it. Yet, each time his beloved left him, he returned here like a forlorn fool. Lost in memories and a love he could not forget, glancing at the elder leaf bracelets disguising his cuffs, nor a love he could discard.

He never thought to share this tower with the others. Still, this Dante felt infinitely different, with his determined gaze and raging firepower.

Sharing this tower felt the best way to convince him they were doomed.

“Tani,” Dante said, his voice cajoling, his eyes pleading with Tani.

Tani was amazed that their doomed love story had the opposite effect on Dante Arturo.

Tani met Dante’s gaze.

“I’ll give the time,” Tani said after a moment, not missing Dante’s relieved sigh. “I always did, Dante.”

Dante held out his hand to Tani.

“Start by giving me your phone,” Dante said when Tani frowned at him.

Tani reached into his pocket and got the black phone Tom gave him.

“Why do you need my phone?” Tani asked.

“So I can reach you when we’re apart,” Dante said. “In this century, a phone is just like having a personal messenger. I need to be able to reach you, Tani. You can’t imagine how frustrated I was with Tom when you left my house. He would not give me your phone number. I thought I was going to burn down the manor with frustration.”

“I misplaced my other phone,” Tani said. “I think it was when I was in the vineyard.”

Dante took Tani’s phone and turned it on. Swiping the unlock button, he grinned.

“Tani, you don’t even lock your phone.”

“I just got it,” Tani said, frowning.

Dante keyed in his number, then dialed. His phone buzzed in his pocket, and he reached for it to save Tani’s number. He held out Tani’s phone back, and Tani stared at him, amused.

“Do you think I’ll remember to bring it along everywhere?” Tani asked, biting back a grin when panic filled Dante’s eyes.

“Should I help you remember?” Dante asked, his gaze shifting to the black smartphone in his palm. “I can spell it so it finds you when you get a call.”

“Is that something you would do?” Tani asked, taking back his phone from Dante before he actually spelled his cell phone. What a frustration that would be, hauling the gadget everywhere. He only carried it when he knew Hera or Tom would need to call him.

“Tani,” Dante stepped forward, looking into his eyes. “Don’t you want to reach me when you need to talk to me?”

Tani slipped his phone into his pocket and shrugged.

“I can always find you, Dante,” Tani said. “Have you forgotten? I followed you to your Viola’s house in the Americas.”

Dante smiled. It was a startling curve of his lips that had Tani staring. Dante’s smile was genuine; his eyes shone, his face lighting up and softening. Tani started to bring his hand up to touch the curve of Dante’s bottom lip. He stopped halfway when he looked up and found Dante watching him, too.

“What did I say that made you smile?” Tani asked.

“You called the U.S. the Americas. Why are you calling it my Viola’s house?” Dante asked, his voice low, husky, teasing.

“I—” Tani frowned. “She is, though.”

“No, she is definitely not,” Dante said, stepping closer. He gripped Tani’s right elbow. “She would snap at you for a full minute if she heard you call her mine. She’s the mother of my children. That’s it. She has a lover. Someone who makes her happy. Her loyalties are with him. I’m very sure she’ll be having a wedding soon.”

Tani’s heart skipped hard, violently squeezing in his chest, filling with more hope than he knew how to contain.

“I do want to be yours,” Dante said, his gaze so serious that Tan could only stare at the collar of Dante’s white shirt.

“It will take me more than the minutes we have been standing here to digest your words,” Tani said, confessing his heart.

“I know,” Dante said, with an understanding nod. “How did you know to find me the first time?”

Tani grinned and started to pull away from Dante, but he would not let go of his right arm.

“Tom has a great team of investigators. They found your address,” Tani said.

“Tani.” Dante narrowed his gaze at him.

“I’m a deviant Ekho,” Tani said with a sigh. “My powers are limited.”

Dante’s hand slid from his right elbow to his right wrist. His fingers circled Tani’s wrist. His thumb rubbed over the Elderwood leaf bracelet. Tani watched it with a sense of apprehension.

“I want to burn these off,” Dante said, his words sounding like they came from between gritted teeth. “It’s unfortunate they are placed here by someone more powerful than me. They make me ambitious.”

“Ambitious for what?” Tani asked.

“I want to be powerful enough to take these off you,” Dante said.

Tani chuckled.

“How often does your temper get you in trouble?” Tani asked.

“Often,” Dante said and then winked. “But it’s always the best kind of trouble.”

Tani scoffed and was grateful when Dante’s phone started buzzing. He thought Dante would let go of his wrist but was only disappointed. Dante tangled their fingers. He answered his phone after looking at the caller ID.

“Yes, Justina,” Dante said, looking at Tani.

“Where are you? You disappeared on us.” Tani heard Justina say on the other end of the call. “The food is ready. Hera and Tom are wondering—”

“I’ll be right there,” Dante said.

“Um, have you seen Mr. Ryuzo?” Justina asked. “Thomas has a few questions for him…”

“I’ll see if I can find him,” Dante said, smiling at Tani.

“Okay, hurry,” Justina said, then ended the call.

“She has a little crush on you,” Dante said. “Should I tell her I have dibs on you?”

“Do you?”

“I do, Tani,” Dante said, putting away his phone. “So, if you don’t always have your phone, tell me how else I can reach you.”

“Say my name,” Tani said.

“What? How?”

“Just say my name,” Tani said, holding his hand to Dante. “Let’s go back before your students send out an SOS and start looking for you all over our fortress.”

Dante grinned and gripped Tani’s hand, stepping in too close. So close he filled the space between them with the scent of Jasmine.

Tani closed his eyes and started to step back, but Dante held his hand tighter, stopping his little escape.

Tani teleported out of the fourth tower and into the drawing room with calligraphy on its walls. It was empty. He started to let go of Dante’s hand, but Dante still held on.

“Stop trying to escape me. I’m afraid if I let you go, I won’t get to see you again,” Dante said, his scowl deep.

“Where am I going? I’m right here,” Tani said, firmly letting go of Dante’s hand. He turned and headed to the door. “Come on, Fire Lord. For the record, your temper needs help.”

Dante caught up with him just as Tani stepped out of the drawing room into the wide hallway.

Tani smiled when Dante kept pace with him, walking side by side. He opened the glass doors opposite the drawing-room, and they entered the large courtyard. The Elderwood bushes were blooming. Tani cursed under his breath because Eren had clearly messed with his work. She was unable to curb her power. It was spilling all over.

“The Elderwood flowers are beautiful,” Dante said beside him, taking in the rectangular courtyard. “This would have been the center of life in the old days.”

“Yes,” Tani smiled, pointing to the square patch of grass on his right. “The weavers worked here on warm days. An all-weather loom was mounted out here. Life was harsher then, but it was also simpler. The gardens at the back of this fortress were for crops. It was easier to grow our own food then.”

“I think it was a spectacular choice to protect the women here,” Dante said. “I would have loved to be part of it, Tani.”

“You were—”

Tani started to say Dante was part of it but paused. They had just agreed to consider Dante different from the rest. Tani stopped on the path in the middle of the courtyard and glanced at Dante. Making a conscious decision to make a fresh start. He smiled and pressed his left palm on Dante’s right cheek.

“I think you would have loved it,” Tani said, his smile widening when Dante stood very still, staring at him. He dropped his hand away from Dante’s cheek. “I have an Ekho visitor making my Elderwood bushes bloom at will. She’s a bit of a headache.”

“Another Ekho?” Dante asked.

“Yes,” Tani said. “I seem surrounded by them of late.”

Tani continued on the path to the cafeteria doors. The construction crew worked hard on the archway to Tani’s right. The doors leading into the front hall were accessible from the courtyard, just not now. Tani shared these little tidbits with Dante without prompt. He opened the glass doors and led the way into the warm cafeteria with staff and the tour students. Hera met them, smiling at Dante as she led the way back to the table where Thomas and Justina sat.

***

Amu found his oldest sister working in her garden, her hands deep in the healthy soil. She was tending apple saplings. She was obsessed with growing them. Amu thought it was an obsession because the only person he knew who loved apples was Tani. Anit knew Tani loved them, and in a strange twist, she poured her guilt and love into growing a massive number of apple trees. His gaze moved over the large spread of apple saplings filling the one-acre garden behind their family home, and he smiled back.

“Anit, our fox clan log house is soon going to change its name to the Apple House,” Amu teased, leaning on the worktable where she kept her supplies. He folded his arms against his chest and smiled when Anit turned her gaze on him.

“What problem brings you here?”

“I also visit you when I don’t have problems to solve,” Amu said with a slight frown.

“You came to see me days ago,” Anit said. “I gave you apple trees for my Tani’s born day. Did you give them to him?”

“I tried,” Amu said. “They are in our garden still in their growing bags. Tani is considering whether to plant them or leave them to me.”

Anit heaved a sigh and pulled out her hands from the fertile soil. Her abilities were similar to Tani’s; she could nurture the soil and turn it healthy. She sat back on her haunches, where she knelt and rested her hands on her bright green frock.

Anit gave all her attention to Amu.

Amu took her in. His sister had given Tani the shape of her face, though hers was infinitely feminine and delicate. She had also given Tani his red hair. Where Tani’s hair boasted shades of brown in the red, Anit’s was pure red, like ripe pomegranate seeds. Her eyes were the color of the leaves of an apple tree. She was short, only four feet nine, but the power within her could destroy a planet. She was as old as Sunu, the Immortal Lord. Her most destructive trait to date was her ability to carry a grudge. Her most significant gift was the ability to give life, as Tani was her greatest creation.

“I need your help,” Amu said now, knowing her grudge against the Immortal Clan would make their conversation difficult. He held her green gaze. “Eren wants a meeting with you. She has a task that can only be completed with your approval.”

Anit let out a soft chuckle.

“It takes a special kind of man to walk into my domain and try to convince me to help the people who have imprisoned my son,” Anit said, barely taking a breath between her words. She closed her eyes and shook her head. “Don’t say more if you hope to see me in the next decade.”

“Anit, our fox clan depends on you. You’ve made a vow to protect the mortal realm with our maker. You can’t shirk that duty just because you’ve closed the boundaries of our lands to the Immortal Clan,” Amu said. “I would not be here if it wasn’t important.”

“What so important you would ask me to help the Immortal Clan?”

Amu decided to use the one thing that always made Anit give in.

“Tani cleansed a massive invasion of Kara ot in the mortal realm. The cuffs on his wrist had to come off for him to do it,” Amu said.

Anit got up fast, scrambling to her feet; she wiped her hands on her skirts and crossed the distance to stand before Amu.

“How is he? Is he lucid? Should I help?”

Amu hid a smile at the pure concern in her eyes.

“He’s fine,” Amu said. “His beloved helped him endure the pain. Dante is a bloodborne warlock this cycle.”

‘Don’t talk to me about the mortal,” Anit said, her voice half a growl. “Where is Tani?”

“I left him at Elderwood. He looked in high spirits now that his beloved was close. He is still taking care of Deniz, Hera, and Tom.”

“The mortal children he’s adopted while he endures loneliness because of a human soul,” Anit closed her eyes. “I don’t understand my own son. What does Eren want with our fox clan?”

“The size of the Kara ot in the mortal realm is questionable,” Amu said. “She suspects someone carried it through the gates.”

“So, she’s not interested in the fox clan but the Inter Clan Court,” Anit said with a deep frown.

“She wants to ask about the amount of kara ot in our lands,” Amu said.

“Those stuck-up idiots in the Septum don’t believe anyone outside the immortal clan can cleanse black weed.”

Anit seethed, then reached for a towel on the worktable. She wiped her hands and took in a deep breath.

“I’ll change into appropriate clothes. We’ll go to Elderwood. I must look at Tani before listening to Eren’s immortal clan nonsense.”

“Tani might not want to see you,” Amu reminded her.

“I’m his mother. No matter how many mortals he loves, he can't change that. He has endured pain, which usually has him passed out for years. I will see his face.”

Anit shimmered away, and Amu let out a sigh. After spending a day showing his beloved around the fortress, Amu hoped Tani would be in a good mood. Otherwise, mother and son would only end up hurting each other again, and their last hurt had now lasted thousands of years.

****

“Thank you for the tour; it was fascinating, and we learned so much,” Justina said, smiling at Tani. “Is it possible to revisit the fortress?”

“Perhaps, though the fortress is not open to visitors often. We made an exception for Mr. Arturo because he helped us with a dilemma,” Hera said. “We’ll have to keep in touch to see how tours would work out.”

“I hope you consider it,” Justina said, seconded by Thomas.

The students thanked Tani, Hera, and Tom and boarded the Arturo Vineyards staff bus.

“So,” Dante said, turning to Tani. “When do I see you again?”

Tani smiled, clasping his hands behind his back. “When do you want to see me?”

“This evening until I close my eyes,” Dante said with a slow smile. “Tomorrow morning when I open my eyes, all day…”

Tani chuckled.

“I don’t remember you being so clingy.”

Dante shrugged, reaching for Tani’s right hand. His fingers wrapped around Tani’s wrist, circling around the elder leaf bracelet.

Tani bit his bottom lip. He had both hoped for and dreaded this moment for days. The moment he chose to throw in his lot with Dante Arturo, regardless of their assured destruction. His heart squeezed tight as he met Dante’s gaze.

“Get your guests to the ferry,” Tani said, his voice soft, low, for Dante’s ears only. “See them off.”

Dante took a sharp breath and seemed to hold it as he waited.

“Call me when you’re back at the vineyard,” Tani said, his tone full of promise. “I’ll come.”

Dante smiled wide, his eyes lighting up so beautifully; Tani pulled his hand out of Dante’s hold fast, afraid he might kiss the man in front of all his students. Just because he was always in love with Dante’s soul didn’t mean Dante loved him, too. It would be too soon. Gods, he had no sense of self-preservation.

“I’ll hurry,” Dante said, not saying more. He waved goodbye to Tom and Hera and boarded the staff bus quickly.

Tani bit back a chuckle as the driver started the bus and pulled out of his parking space.

“What was that?” Hera asked, coming to stand next to Tani.

“What?”

“That,” Hera nodded to the retreating bus. “You and Dante, making eyes at each other? Has the warlock enchanted you, given you some strong juju?”

Tani chuckled and shrugged. He smiled at the retreating bus and started to walk away from the fortress.

Babu?” Hera called after him.

“I’ll be unavailable for a while,” Tani said.

“Where will you be?” Hera asked.

“Occupied by the strong juju,” Tani said, winking at Hera. “Finish reading The Lightning Thief to Deniz for me.”

Hera let out a soft sigh, and Tani was aware of Tom pulling her into a short hug before they headed back to the fortress.

Tani walked briskly, taking the less traveled path back to his house behind the fortress. Once in a safe spot, he teleported into the living room and immediately started to leave when he felt the intense energy.

A powerful wall of energy wrapped around him and stopped his escape. Tani solidified in the middle of the room, gazing at his mother, who stood by the long, comfortable couch Deniz and Hera loved to lounge on.

Anit looked every bit like the fox goddess she was: powerful, beautiful, and elegant. Her long hair looked like fire, and she had robbed the blue skies of color as her dress seemed alive with it. She started to cross the room to his side, and he gritted his teeth to greet her, hoping to stop her approach.

“Mother.”

Anit stopped a few inches away, her green eyes taking him in. There was a frown on her smooth forehead, and he scowled at the sight of it. She had no smiles for him, ever.

“Tani,” she said, her voice coming out in a soft breath as she reached up to touch his left cheek.

He slapped her hand away and stepped back.

“What are you doing here?” Tani asked, hating how defensive he sounded.

“Amu came for me; something about Eren,” Anit said with a negligent shrug. “I heard Cale took off the cuffs on your wrists. The last time it happened, you needed some help from me. You don’t like to hear it, but you did. Your mortal brings you so much misfortune…I-I worried.”

Tani closed his eyes, a soft chuckle coming from him before he could stop it.

“What?” Anit asked, a note of hurt in her voice. “Can’t I worry about my son?”

“Which son do you worry about?” Tani asked, opening his eyes to look at Anit. “The last time we stood face to face, you screamed me out of your study at the Fox Clan’s log house. You could not stand to look at me because my eyes remind you of my father. Amu, the only one who has ever wanted me in our family, brought me to this mortal realm to live with him. He is my parent. I ask again, which son do you worry about?”

Tani’s eyes burned with the faint power in his veins. Gold and amber shimmered in his eyes, and sure enough, Anit winced and stepped away from him as though burned.

“See, you still can’t look at me,” Tani chuckled, hating the bitterness coloring his forced laugh.

“Is that why you have decided to torture yourself in the mortal realm? Why do you live with the shadow of the power your parents gave you? It’s a disgrace to see the next Fox Lord live like this.”

“Then forget you had me,” Tani said. “Continue living as though I don’t exist.”

Anit slapped him, the force of her slap making him turn his head. His cheek exploded with pain, but it could not compare to the pain in his heart.

Tani bit his lip to keep from crying out and turned away from his mother. He paused when he saw Amu standing at the entrance to the living room.

“You should not have brought her into our home without telling me first,” Tani told Amu.

“You returned earlier than I thought,” Amu said. “Cale is on his way with Eren. They were busy in the conservancy as you requested.”

“Thank them for me. You know my mother and I can’t be in the same room,” Tani said. “I’ll stay at Artri House with Dante until you solve Eren’s issues. Find me when Elderwood is free of Eren and The Fox Goddess.”

“Tani—” Anit started behind him.

Tani left his house, not ready to hear her repeat his name. It hurt too much when she never had good words for him to hear.

Thankfully, she let him leave. He teleported to the olive grove at the Arturo Vineyard. He stood among the old olive trees, taking in deep breaths. His chest ached…not with anger, but with longing. He brought his right hand to his cheek, still remembering the feel of his mother’s hand on his skin, even as it was painful. It was the first touch in years. He could not remember what it felt like when she hugged him or held him. That he wished for the memory pained him more.

Tears filled his eyes, and he stared at the sky, wishing for rain to wash them away.

****

Dante was filled with impatience during the ride back to the vineyard. He wished he could get the driver to speed, but it was four o’clock. Even though the island was no city, there was mild traffic caused by people returning home from a full day of work in their small city. He was glad when they finally left the city center and took the open road to the vineyard.

Thunder rumbled in the sky, and Dante frowned when he felt power call to him. Heavy rain fell just as they entered the vineyard’s gates. Dante opened the window, held his hand to the falling rain, and felt Tani’s power touch his.

He bit his lip, waiting to call Tani’s name. The bus driver brought them to a stop at the front of Artri House. Dante thanked the bus driver for spending the day with him. He then sent him off to park the bus and clock out.

Alone in the front yard, Dante spoke the words he had been holding in.

“Tani, I’m home.”

Standing in the front yard at Artri House, next to his mother’s favorite planting urns, he waited in the rain. Hoping with all his heart that Tani had told him the truth, half-afraid Tani would ignore his call. His past lives made him feel insecure with Tani. Made him afraid Tani might not bother to give him a chance…he closed his eyes when several minutes passed.

“Tani,” Dante said, pleading. “You promised. Please.”

Dante felt a shift in the air, and then Tani stood before him, shivering with cold: his clothes were wet, his hair was damp and sticking to his head, and his eyelashes were clamped with water droplets.

Dante stepped forward and gripped Tani’s arms. He looked into closed-off amber eyes and, for a moment, thought he saw tears mixed in with the raindrops. Tears or not, Tani was unhappy.

“What’s upset you?” Dante asked.

Tani gave the slightest smile and shook his head.

“I wanted to spend time in your Artri House,” Tani said. “Now, I’m not sure it is appropriate.”

“Why wouldn’t it be?”

“I’m in a terrible mood. I’ll make for terrible company,” Tani said, looking up at the sky and the dark clouds above.

Dante noted that Tani was still in the white shirt and pants he had worn earlier for their tour. He had not changed, meaning something happened during their short separation.

“Keep your terrible mood,” Dante said, kissing Tani’s forehead. He reached for Tani’s right hand and tangled their fingers. “I’ll keep you.”

June is here.
Song of the Chapter is Love Me More
Copyright © 2021 lilansui; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 28
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

7 hours ago, lilansui said:

Anit has a lot of emotional baggage :gikkle: 

Dante and Tani are getting somewhere. Next chapter is coming up!

Hurrayyy!!! I’m so happy you came back to this story. Thank you, I’ve missed it.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
20 hours ago, travlbug said:

This chapter is essentially about the complications of love, both romantic and familial,

So true, it can get pretty complicated. :)

13 hours ago, Geemeedee said:

Hurrayyy!!! I’m so happy you came back to this story. Thank you, I’ve missed it.

I'll work on doing better. :wizard:

  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, lilansui said:

So true, it can get pretty complicated. :)

I'll work on doing better. :wizard:

I know how life can be! I’m just happy you’re making updates. 🙂

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..