Jump to content
    LitLover
  • Author
  • 1,226 Words
  • 1,366 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Men in Shorts - 1. The Invitation

This is a prompt challenge give to me by @Valkyrie. The parameters are as follows:
Character cards: partygoer, and trespasser
So your character must be a trespassing partygoer
Story cards: These two cards are supposed to lead you into the story:
Laundromat, and invitation from a stranger

The Invitation


Mic slumped into the hard plastic chair, wishing for the hundredth time he’d remembered to grab his eReader on his way out the door. Getting lost in a story would make the afternoon pass more quickly than watching laundry roll round and round in the glass-doored washing machine. With a sigh, he shifted his weight and turned his attention to the sparse foot traffic carefully navigating the slippery sidewalk. Freshly fallen snow made the icy walkways even more treacherous this morning. As he watched, a man bundled up to his nose in a long trench coat slipped and fell in a painful-looking heap. Without thinking, Mic jumped up and hurried outside to help.

“Hey, are you okay?” he asked as he approached. “That was a nasty spill.”

“Yeah,” the stranger replied with an embarrassed laugh. “I should have slowed down, but I was running late.” He looked up, and Mic was struck by how green the man’s eyes were. They were so vibrant he wondered if the guy was wearing contacts. A warm pink blush staining his cheeks made the rumpled red-head both handsome and adorable.

“Let me help you up.” Offering his hand, Mic braced himself to bear the other man’s weight so as not to join him on the cold concrete. A gloved hand engulfed his and Mic had the random realization that this was the first man to touch him, even casually, in months. It was a depressing thought. Shaking away his melancholy, he smiled at the now upright stranger.

“You don’t look any worse for wear. Does anything hurt?”

“Only my pride. Thanks for coming to my rescue, although I’m embarrassed you had to witness that.”

Mic waved off the praise. “It was nothing, really. I’m sure you’d have done the same.”

Brushing the snow from his coat, the man grinned. “I guess I can take this as a lesson that rushing isn’t always the fastest option.”

Mic chuckled. “No, it often isn’t. I’m glad you’re not hurt though. It would be pretty easy to crack your head on the sidewalk.”

“Well, thank you again. I’m Doug, by the way.”

“Micah… Mic. No worries. Luckily, my white horse and I were nearby.”

With a laugh and a wave goodbye, Doug carefully made his way up the street. Mic watched for a moment before turning back to the laundromat. He’d just reached the door when he was called back.

“Hey, Mic!”

“Yeah?”

“Ah, this might seem forward, but I’d like to invite you to a party tonight.” That adorable blush was back, highlighting freckles across the bridge of his nose.

“A party? Where?”

Doug pulled at the sleeves of his jacket, and nibbled on his lower lip in a nervous fashion. “My… umm… someone I know is hosting a party. Will you come?”

The expectant look on Doug’s face melted away any discomfort Mic had about crashing a stranger’s party. “Okay, sure. It sounds like fun.”

Pulling out a pen and a business card from his inside pocket, Doug scribbled information on the back before pressing the paper into Mic’s hand. “The party starts at eight. It’ll be fun, I promise.” With a radiant smile, the redhead waved and hurried away.

Back in his uncomfortable seat, Mic turned the card over in his hand. On one side, stamped in fancy, gold lettering, were the words “Doug Reid” with an address for an office building downtown, and on the back, in neat handwritten script was: 41A Burnaby Blvd. I look forward to seeing my white knight again.

With a smile, and a sense of anticipation he hadn’t felt in a long time, Mic tucked the card into his pocket. The only decision to make now was what to wear.

 

<><><>

Standing in front of the building, Mic looked down at the card in his hand again. Yes, this was the right address. It was a large townhouse complex in an area of the city he couldn’t afford in his wildest dreams. Was this where Doug lived?

With a deep, fortifying breath, Mic walked up to the door and rang the bell. When there was no answer he tried knocking, but still no one came. He could hear music and talking from inside and debated knocking again. As he tried to make a decision, an older gentleman strode up the walkway, nodded in his direction, and then opened the door, leaving it ajar as he disappeared inside. After a short argument with himself, Mic followed, shutting the door behind him. Not knowing what to do with his jacket, he held it in his arms as he slowly walked towards the sound of voices.

The room was crowded with happy, well-dressed partygoers. There must have been at least fifty people crammed into the relatively small space. Mic felt awkward standing alone by the door, so he slowly made his way around the perimeter of the room, scanning the crowd in search of Doug. He was starting to get the uncomfortable feeling he was gatecrashing after a third person eyed him suspiciously. One young woman, who appeared to be several glasses into the free wine service, even asked how he knew the host and guest of honor. Not knowing who Doug was to these people, he made a non-committal noise, and thanked the gods above when she was distracted by a passing waiter. He’d finally made it to a relatively private corner of the room when he heard a commotion by the entrance. A murmur of excitement rippled through the guests as Doug entered behind an attractive couple. The woman, though more petite than Doug, shared his vibrant green eyes and bright red hair. They were too similar not to be related.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” she spoke up when the crowd began to settle. “Thank you all for joining us tonight. As you know, my baby brother, Douglas, turned twenty-five today, so let’s help him celebrate.”

Partygoers clapped as glasses of champagne made the rounds. The birthday boy smiled as he greeted well-wishers, even as his gaze roamed the crowd. When Doug’s eyes finally landed on Mic, his smile widened and, after a word to the group in front of him, he hurried across the room.

“You made it.”

“You didn’t tell me this was your birthday party,” Mic chastised, although his smile likely ruined the effect.

The adorable blush was back. “I’m sorry. I know I should have warned you, but I wasn’t sure you would come if you knew.” Doug looked over the crowd with a grimace. “These are all my sister’s friends and business contacts. Hers and her husband, Gordon’s. I just moved to Toronto for a new job, so I don’t know many people yet. This was Leslie’s way of helping, even though I told her it wasn’t necessary. I guess I wanted someone here for me. Can you forgive me?”

The wide, expressive eyes unleashed on Mic were an unfair advantage. There was no way he could ever deny Doug anything when he looked at him like that. It was a dangerous notion considering he’d only just met the man.

“Of course I forgive you, I’m just sorry I didn’t know it was your birthday, or I would have brought you something.”

“Believe me,” Doug replied with a shy smile. “You brought exactly what I wanted.”

Thank you to my wonderful editor, Gary, for helping me edit this so quickly.  :glomp: 
 
This was my foray into writing again after a bout of writer's block, so I hope you enjoy it.  As always, comments are welcome and appreciated :) 
Copyright © 2018 LitLover; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

17 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

LOL, I though it was his ex hosting a party, but it's only his sister. It seems like the beginning of a great relationship as friends and more.

 

haha I considered the ex-boyfriend angle, but this is what felt right when I started writing.  Thank you for your comment and support, Tim :hug: 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Headstall said:

Yes, it was short, but you succeeded in making it charming, captivating, and satisfying. I like these two, and would love to see how their story goes in the future. Well done, my friend... cheers... Gary....

 

Thank you, Gary :hug:  I might revisit these two again.  There is potential there with some of the ideas I've had floating around in my head.  Thank you for your comment and all of your support :kiss: 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
17 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Red hair and green eyes! Yum! Mic’s a lucky guy!  ;-)

 

LOL Mic is a lucky guy.  I guess its good he didn't have that reader after all ;)   Thank you for your comment and support, Drought :hug: 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Lit, you should send Doug and Mic to Dugh, so he can get their measurements- I'm sure your WQ will enjoy it. ;)

 

Anyways, I loved this short story! :D:hug: 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Drew Espinosa said:

Lit, you should send Doug and Mic to Dugh, so he can get their measurements- I'm sure your WQ will enjoy it. ;)

 

Anyways, I loved this short story! :D:hug: 

 

Haha I’m sure Dugh would be happy to help out ;)   Thank you for your comment and support, Drew :hug: 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I can relate to having fallen on ice, though the ginger bit is true news, i'm a ginger- so I'm guilty. Crashing parties is a cool thing to do. What a quirky fast-paced short this was. I enjoyed reading it, keep up the good work LitLover. - Plus Micha is too cute a name to shorten it :P

  • Like 2
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, D.K. Daniels said:

I can relate to having fallen on ice, though the ginger bit is true news, i'm a ginger- so I'm guilty. Crashing parties is a cool thing to do. What a quirky fast-paced short this was. I enjoyed reading it, keep up the good work LitLover. - Plus Micha is too cute a name to shorten it :P

 

Thank you, D.K.  I appreciate your comment and your support.  :)  I agree, Micah is a cute name, but Mic does have a reason he shortens it (I didn't have time to get in to in in this prompt)  

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great short story, Lit.. I totally enjoyed it.    

I could ‘arrange’ an accidental slip in front of Murphy’s Pub, but somehow I don’t think I’d have the same results.. *sighs* 

 

Glad to hear it’s helped with the block. Look forward to more... soonish? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..