Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 1,094 Words
  • 989 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Imagine There's No Heaven - 7. Chapter 7

The life and death situation continues. Sue's dilemma. Jack's escape attempt. Colton and Richard make a plan.

Colton glared at the man with hatred in his eyes. He contemplated the notebook in his hands, amazed at first how such a trivial item could cause such a lot of harm. He glanced at Richard, then at Bernard, took three steps forward and nervously placed the book on the ground. The gun was still with Richard. Bernard was still held in a vice grip. Colton had no idea how he was going to get the gun from Richard without placing his son’s life in danger. Richard stared at Bernard, a lump in his throat pushing tears into his eyes.

The man maintained his grip on Bernard and pushed the boy forward. Without taking his eyes off Colton and Richard he reached for the book, then stepped back again.

‘Peter’s goin’ to be happy with that,’ he said.

Colton said. ‘You’ve got what you want, so release the boy. You...you don’t have to kill anyone. Just think for a moment. You have the notebook. You have the boy. There’s been enough bloodshed. Just think. You take us in with you. I mean, you have the upper hand. We’re just pawns in this. Take us with you to Peter. You have us and the book. Peter will think highly of you. Imagine your own position? You’ll be Peter’s goto guy from here on in. Think about it.’

The man skewed his eyes and contemplated Colton’s words. Of-course the man was as dumb as a donkey and Colton hoped his words registered. It was all about hierarchy.

‘You have a point,’ the man said after a moment. But how do I know you guys won’t try anything on the way there?’

Richard said quickly. ‘Rope. Tie us up, there’s rope in the back of the vehicle.’

‘Okay, get it. Try anything and the boy gets it in the head.’

Richard rummaged through several bags in the rear of the vehicle and eventually brought out two lengths of rope.

‘Good. Now tie Greaney’s hands behind his back. Tight! And don’t think I don’t know what tight is. Move it!’

Richard tied Colton’s hands and pulled the knot tight. ‘What the hell’s going on?’ he whispered into Colton’s ear.

Colton looked away from the man holding Bernard and said, ‘Just go with me on this. Believe me, it’s better than being in a grave.’

Richard pulled the knot even tighter on purpose. ‘Jesus, that hurts.’ Colton exclaimed.

‘Right, now cut the rope and tie the boy. He’s a feisty one he is.’

Richard smiled and tied Bernard’s hands behind his back, careful not to pull the knot too tight. The man inspected both Colton and Bernard’s ropes and satisfied, he turned to Richard. ‘You drive.’

‘Anything you say. Just don’t do anything stupid with that gun.’

Colton and Bernard sat in the back of the Rover as Richard accelerated onto the main road, leaving the motorbike behind. It was the only way he could think to find out where Jack was being held. If the man wasn’t such a jackass, he would have killed them on the spot. Colton smiled. His plan was working.

***

The taller of the two men back handed Sue across the face leaving a red streak across her left cheek. He emptied the chamber of her gun and threw the gun along the floor far away from her. ‘All we want is Colton. We have no problem with you. If he isn’t here, you’ll need to tell us where he is.’

She remained silent. She had no idea where Colton was, but she wasn’t saying anything.

He slapped her again, this time it was more like a punch, but softer. She reeled backwards as the pain engulfed her face.

‘Where is he?’

She spat into his face. The other man, slightly smaller, stepped forward and said, ‘Roland, maybe Peter will get her to talk. She’s stubborn. She isn’t going to say anything.’

The taller man glared at her then said, ‘You’re right. Peter has ways.’

Without thinking about it, the man called Roland pulled his fist back as far as possible and shot it out like a sling but the smaller guy took the punch in the open palm of his hand just as it was about to connect with Sue’s nose. ‘No need for that. One of these days you’ll need to learn some manners. We’re dealing with a lady here.’

***

Hunched on all fours, the man with whom Jack had placed his trust, suddenly stopped crawling when a vehicle pulled up. Jack heard a commotion as someone shouted in a thick, husky voice, ‘Out, all of you.’

Footsteps shuffled about and approached the front entrance. The two drunken men failed to notice that a car had pulled up and were still slurring on about how much they could drink until passing out. One of them started as the screen door slammed shut and leaped out of his chair to meet them. The other stayed in his seat, slurping the contents from a bottle of rum, he burped loudly.

‘Paddy! What the hell?’

Paddy had his weapon trained on the three captives. ‘Shut up Rowan. Help me get them into the basement. Where’s Pete?’

‘He's gone shopping. Said he needed to take a break. Did you get the book?’

‘I did more than get the book. I got the book and Colton and his bum-chum.’

Rowan looked puzzled for a moment. ‘And the kid? You know we don’t do kids. Pete will have your liver.’

‘Well, I couldn’t just leave the kid out there. Anyway, without him none of this would have been possible.’

On hearing Colton’s name, Jack winced and began to lift himself off the floor when his saviour placed a hand over his mouth and forced him down. ‘Shhh. Not a word,’ he whispered. ‘They have weapons and we have nothing. Stay down.’

Jack, unable to comprehend what was happening, slithered to the floor and hung his head while Paddy and Rowan ushered the trio down the steps leading into the basement. The moment it was safe, Jack was pulled to his feet and suddenly running out of the house towards the Land Rover. Neither turned back when the shouting and screaming started. They had discovered that Jack was gone. They reached the Land Rover and the stranger was just about to yank the door open when he felt the cold grey steel of the barrel of a revolver against his head.

‘Going somewhere, Dale?’

It was Peter’s voice. And he was angry.

To be continued.

This Chapter is dedicated to all the victims of the atrocities during this nameless war. May their souls rest in peace. It is also dedicated to all the victims of Apartheid. Never again. Never again, please God. I would also like to apologoze to anyone whom I have offended in the first three chapters of this novella.
Thank you for reading. I have made you, the reader a promise, and that is to deliver a rollercoaster of entertainment. I hope I am doing that. Oh, and of-course that includes romance...somewhere along the line.
2013 Louis J Harris
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You are definitely delivering the rollercoaster ride. So sad for the people during this time in history. Many lives were sacrificed for naught. Great chapter. The guys are still apart tho, so that makes it even more dramatic :2thumbs:

Link to comment
On 03/18/2013 08:30 AM, joann414 said:
You are definitely delivering the rollercoaster ride. So sad for the people during this time in history. Many lives were sacrificed for naught. Great chapter. The guys are still apart tho, so that makes it even more dramatic :2thumbs:
Thanks for reading Jo Anne. Don't know why I didn't reply to your comment before. I don't like killing my protagonists off so i guess they are going to be around for quite a while. That being said, it's quite something to write Colton's story against this violent backdrop without bring violence into the story. But better times are coming...we'll just have to wait and see.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..