Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 891 Words
  • 1,214 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Imagine There's No Heaven - 3. Chapter 3

Will Colton do what is expected of him? He has options. But which option will he employ?

I hope someday you’ll join us

And the world will be as one*

 

‘I’m a friend of the driver who survived the bus explosion in Laferty two days ago.’ Colton said. ‘I’d like to speak to the commissioner.’

The beady eyed man with a pencil sharp nose glared at him as if he were asking the impossible. ‘Commissioner only takes appointments.’

‘I have information regarding the driver.’

‘Make an appointment and I’m sure he’ll see you. Depends entirely on his schedule,’ the man said, returning his attention to a file before him. His finger-knuckles had been crudely tattoed with the letters L-O-V-E.

The office was painted white with two doors and a glass window. Behind the sergeant, men and women in uniform answered phones and chewed gum and rushed here and there without noticing him.

Colton returned his gaze to the sergeant deeply engrossed in the file. Life continues, he thought. Indeed life continues after thirty-two children die. Thirty-two children! One survivor. Why would Jack survive? Why would he give me his notebook to read? A notebook that goes back to 1993. Maybe he was trying to tell me something. I should have read further. Am I jumping to conclusions about him.

The sergeant looked up from the file. ‘Well, do you want to make an appointment to see the big man?’

‘On second thoughts, I’ll phone in to make an appointment,’ Colton said, backing away from the glass encased booth. ‘Later.’

He dashed through the doors into the street and hailed the first taxi he could find to take him back to the hospital.

I’m such a fool. I need to read the rest of his notebook, if he’ll let me. Besides, how can I hate him? How can I possibly put aside my love at a moment’s notice and desert him? Is that fair? What if the roles were reversed? I would want support. I would want someone not to judge me. Christ, that’s what I did. I judged him. How could I do that when I’m far from perfect…

The driver nudged him. ‘Hey. We’ve arrived.’

Colton awoke with a start. The hospital entrance. He thanked the taxi driver, paid him his fair and bolted for the doors. Instead of taking the lift, he took the stairs two at a time and arrived at the ward where he found doctors and nurses running around in a panic.

A security official dressed in a grey suit stopped him from entering the ICU. ‘Where do you think you’re going?’

‘Jack, I’m here to see Jack. I need to see him.’

‘He’s gone. The police will be here at any moment.’

‘Gone? What? Where? I…I’m sorry, I don’t understand...’

He spotted a pool of blood creeping out from under the ICU doors and his mouth went dry instantly. ‘Oh my God…what...what happened here?’

Without thinking, he made a dash for the door and swung it open, the security officer bolted after him and reached out to try and stop him. Colton stood frozen to the spot, mouth agape as he witnessed the carnage before him. Three nurses lay in awkward deathly poses on the floor. One had been shot through the heart, one through the head and one in the back. Two females, one male.

He sagged to his knees as the security official grabbed him, but he shook his hand away. ‘Oh my god! Oh my God!’

‘Sir, you can’t be in here.’

‘Who…who did this?’

The security official gripped him by the lapel of his shirt and whisked him to his feet, and that’s when Colton noticed the notebook, still lying in the very place it had fallen after he had thrown it at Jack.

He had never been trained in the martial arts, he didn’t know how to use his fists, or kick. He had no idea how to execute an upper cut or lunge punch, but he lashed out at the security official and the man spun on his heels almost three-sixty degrees and landed on the floor with a broken nose clutching his crotch where Colton had kicked him. The moment he went down, Colton grabbed the notebook and took off out of the ICU and down the corridor. He fled passed the ground floor reception and suddenly began to walk calmly when he spotted a group of well-dressed men and several policemen heading towards the double doors of the entrance. He passed them unnoticed, and climbed into the first taxi parked on the curb.

He reminded himself that until twenty minutes ago, he was just a normal person. Now he had assaulted a security official and removed evidence from the scene of a crime. He was in deep shit. No more Mr. Nice Guy. Going to the police was not an option. Jack had been taken by God knows who, but whomever it was had no idea that Colton felt like a jilted lover, something precious had been taken away from him. He decided there and then, that no matter the consequences, that he would find Jack. What he failed to understand was simple: had he been beside Jack at the moment of his abduction, he would have been dead. He clutched the notebook in his hands. The book of death. A book that would change his life forever.

Thank you for reading and please please if you read please leave a review, I know this story is difficult for many who have experienced the senselessness of War. The fact is that Mankind rarely learn by their mistakes, history has repeated itself often. We need to be reminded to not go there again. The story takes a different turn from here on in. I hope you enjoy the journey.
2013 Louis J Harris
  • Like 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm sensing that Colton's life has changed dramatically. The war has obviously altered his life sequence, but I'm sure we'll be seeing how much it is in the upcoming chapters. I'm really perplexed about Jack. Is he a good guy turn bad or bad guy turn good?

Anyway, another good chapter. Normally, I'd complain about the length, but I think it's just right for the story. It's like folk stories (that's a compliment:))

Looking forward to the next chapter:).

Link to comment

Glad to see that Colton gave Jack the benefit of a doubt by deciding to read the whole notebook before drawing conclusions. But looks as if he is going to have to wait awhile for his answers.

Seems things are fixing to get pretty interesting. Great job Louis! :thumbup:

Link to comment
On 02/05/2013 06:16 AM, Michael9344 said:
I'm sensing that Colton's life has changed dramatically. The war has obviously altered his life sequence, but I'm sure we'll be seeing how much it is in the upcoming chapters. I'm really perplexed about Jack. Is he a good guy turn bad or bad guy turn good?

Anyway, another good chapter. Normally, I'd complain about the length, but I think it's just right for the story. It's like folk stories (that's a compliment:))

Looking forward to the next chapter:).

Hi Mike...this is Colton speaking. Well, firstly I'm the happiest guy this side of Dublin that you're enjoyin' this story. To answer your question as to whether Jack is a good guy gone bad or a bad guy gone good, well, the truth is I just don't rightly know. (Aside) - I don't even think LJH knows. However, his notebook will probably tell us a lot more about him. LJH seems to be occupied with the thriller aspect of this story, but I can tell you it's going to be a rollercoaster from here on in. I do hope to find Jack but I know it's goin' to take everything I have. I miss the guy.
Link to comment
On 02/05/2013 09:07 AM, Conner said:
I like the direction you're taking here. Looking forward to more. :2thumbs:
HI Conner. Ma Greaney here. Well, I do like short and positive comments. To tell you the truth, I like the direction too. What I can tell you is that LJH has asked me to do certain things that you might find surprising, but you know, this is fiction, and anything can happen. Hope to see you comment again soon my lad.
Link to comment
On 02/05/2013 12:34 PM, joann414 said:
Glad to see that Colton gave Jack the benefit of a doubt by deciding to read the whole notebook before drawing conclusions. But looks as if he is going to have to wait awhile for his answers.

Seems things are fixing to get pretty interesting. Great job Louis! :thumbup:

Well now, Joann. Thank you for the comment. I'm Jack and I wanted to say tha' it's a terrible thing that LJH has put me through. I'm rightly wonderin' if I can do everything he wants me to, but I know he'll help me thru it. I do miss my bike. I miss Colton a hell of a lot. I love and adore Ma Greaney. Well, wherever I am, I know Colton will find me, even if he has to kill to get to me. My notebook, well, it may or may not have the answers he seeks. I hope he can make head or tail out of it. We'll see. yes, thuings are a fixin to get pretty wild and awesome. I hope Colton is fixin' to find me, dead or alive. Thanks for followin' the story.
Link to comment

I like the fact that Colton has second thoughts about trying to turn Jack in. It's fortunate that the police are too busy to take his request. Hopefully the notebook will have some kind of information that will be of use and possibly redeem Jack.

 

Only time will tell.

Link to comment
On 02/28/2013 07:24 AM, Mann Ramblings said:
I like the fact that Colton has second thoughts about trying to turn Jack in. It's fortunate that the police are too busy to take his request. Hopefully the notebook will have some kind of information that will be of use and possibly redeem Jack.

 

Only time will tell.

The notebook has an important role in this story and I have to becareful not to overuse it. I do know that readers want the information in the notebook too, but it will all come out and Jack and Colton's life, even at the moment, will never be the same again.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..