Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 1,541 Words
  • 1,185 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Imagine There's No Heaven - 4. Chapter 4

Colton decides to run and Jack is threatened.

Imagine no possessions

I wonder if you can

No need for greed or hunger

A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people, sharing all the world…*

 

Mr and Mrs O’Malley knelt beside a wooden cross in the cordoned off area of the blast zone, and Mr Lachlan, the town’s only vet, added a single yellow rose amongst the hundreds of wreaths that crowded the side of the road. Dolly Loman, wept as she pinned a colour photograph of her daughter Rose on the makeshift notice board donated by the school. Her hands trembled and the drawing pin fell from her fingers. Ralph Henderson, a man who had fought in the Second World War, put up a poem dedicated to his twin great-grandsons who had died in the blast. He stooped to pick up the drawing pin and helped Mrs Swinden place it on the board. She stood back and wept louder. Mr Henderson held her in a comforting embrace as they both wept.

 

***

 

A cool breeze drifted down the main street of Laferty.

Colton stepped out from behind a parked car and made a dash for the bakery across the street. He was careful not to be seen, but he noticed the closed sign hanging from the doorknob and headed for the back entrance around the corner. He slipped through the entrance of the building and climbed the fire-escape up to his apartment on the second floor. He inserted the key. Turned the doorknob. It was locked. He knocked several times and waited, he knocked louder and louder until eventually the door was unlocked and his mam greeted him with a smile. He brushed passed her and headed straight for his room.

‘Colton Greaney, at least greet. If I recall correctly I raised you to have mann… Colton, what on earth is wrong with…’

She stepped towards her son who buried his face in his hands and wept like a jilted teenager.

‘Oh, my. What is it? Is Jack all right?’

He shook his head and tried to speak but the words wouldn’t come out. His face was pale and he bit the knuckles of his hand.

‘Good lord, my boy. I’ve never seen you like this. What has happened? Tell me.’

‘Oh, ma. They…they took him,’ he cried, unable to gaze into her eyes.

‘Took him? Jack? Who took him?’

He shrugged and sniffed. ‘I…I don’ know, ma. Know one knows. They…they said it was a police matter but I don’ think ‘twas the police, ma. So…so much blood.’

‘Blood? Where?’

‘In…in the ward. Someone killed three people to get to him.’

‘Oh lordy, my boy. Thank god you’re fine.’

‘No…no ma. I’m not fine. We…we have to leave here. It’s not safe. We have to get out of here, now. The cops will be lookin’ for me.’

‘Looking for you? Colt, what did you do, my boy? Why would they want you?’

‘No time to explain , ma. We have to go. It’s not safe here.’

‘Wait son. You’re thinking irrationally. I’ve lived in Laferty all of my life and everyone knows that if they have a beef with any one of my family, well, they’ll have to deal with me.’

‘Ma, you’re not listenin’ to me. This is not a family squabble where you can make amends the next day and say I’m sorry. This is serious business. They don’t care who they kill or mame to get what they want. They’ll kill us ma.’

She stood up and faced him with anger in her eyes. ‘I’m not going anywhere. What about the bakery? All these years. All the money wasted. This is my home and I will not be forced out of…’

‘Ma, you can go to Jesse, your sister. They’ll take good care of you, please ma. You have to listen to me.’

In the background the telephone rang. It was only when Ma Greaney turned to leave the room that she heard it. She went to answer but Colton beat her to it.

‘Whoever it is, you don’t know where I am. I haven’t come home for two days.’

Ma Greaney glared at him but knew that if they wanted Colton, it was serious business. She had no option but to protect her child. She lifted the receiver. ‘Sue Greaney, hello.’

‘Tell Colton that he has somethin’ that belongs to us. If he wants to see Jack alive, he’d best do whatever we tell him. Otherwise, you ALL die.’

The line went dead. She turned and glared at Colton with fear behind dark blue eyes.

‘It’s begun, then,’ he whispered.

 

***

Darkness surrounded him. It was cold and damp and his body trembled to retain warmth. He had dreamed of darkness and the moment the light was turned on, he always awoke from his nightmare. It was like dreaming of nothing. Like being dead with no light in a tunnel, no-one to meet him on his journey to heaven, if there was one at all. His face hurt. His eyes hurt. Without his sight, he may as well have been dead. Most importantly, without his sight, he couldn’t escape.

A door creaked open and slammed shut. A light came on. He couldn’t be sure, but there may have been three sets of footsteps coming towards him. He could smell them. They reeked of alcohol, like gin.

Two men approached him. One large and unshaven, the other chewing gum. One had a cross tattoed on his head. The other wore rings pierced through his eyebrows, lips and nose.

‘Well, well, well, what have we here?’

Jack recognized the speaker.

Peter Hunt.

He thought he would never see him again after he had fled the cell during the Warrington bombing.

‘Lost your tongue in the explosion, Jack?’ Hunt asked, giggling like a schoolgirl. ‘No matter. Let me tell you what we have here. A scared little gay boy who deserted us. Oh. Wait. This isn’t about you being gay. It about you squealing on us. You worked both sides. A mole for the British government. I’m amazed you didn’t die in that bus. You do know of-course that bomb was meant to kill you. But, now that we have you, we’re goin’ to make your life a livin’ hell. Yes, sir…’

Jack’s throat constricted. He coughed softly. ‘Why don’t….why don’t you kill me now and get it over with.’

‘Kill you now? No. No. That’s too easy. For sure, you will die, Jack. But not now, not today, not here. Yours will be a long, painful death. It’ll be my pleasure to watch it all happen. And when I’m finished with you, it’ll be your boyfriend’s turn, then his mother. Or maybe his mother first. Sweet, sweet Ma Greaney.’

‘Touch them and you’re dead.’

‘We aim to get it, Jack. That little notebook of yours. We should have it in a couple of hours. Then I will watch you die.’

 

***

 

‘What did they say, Ma?’

Silence.

‘Ma!’ he snapped his fingers close to her eyes.

She blinked and sat on the sofa. ‘’Twas a man’s voice. Soft and taunting. Said you have somethin’ that belongs to them. They want it back. If you don’t, we all die.’

‘The notebook.’

'What Notebook?'

'It belongs to Jack, Ma.'

'And you have this book?'

'Yes.'

'Well then, best you return it to them,' she smiled.

'I can't do that. There are things I need to know, Ma, and they're in that book.'

'Stop being so stubborn, Colt!' she said, and ran off to her bedroom. She shut the door.

Colton sped after her. ‘Please, we don’t have time to be doin this, Ma.’

‘Colton, go and pack some things,’ she shouted.

‘Ma, please. Open this door. I can’t leave without you, Ma.’

‘For God’s sake, Colton! Don’t take much. Just the clothes on your back and maybe your leather jacket. Do it, Colt.’

He opened the door.

“What…?’ he exclaimed.

She had a weapon in her hand and fumbled around with the bullets as she tried to load the chamber.

‘Where did you get that?’

‘Like you say, no time for explanations. These people don’t want to interfere with my family. They have no idea what I can do.’

‘That’s a gun, ma.’

‘I know, and it knows. But you need to know that I know how to handle this weapon. Now you best get going. I don’t know what this is all about, but when I do find out, you and Jack better have a royal explanation.'

Colton’s eyes grew wider when he heard the sirens.

‘Get out, now! Mary’s husband returned Jack’s bike. The keys are on the kitchen table. Go! I’ll deal with the police and whoever else comes knocking. No one is going to take what we built up from nothing. No one.’

He didn’t have to be reminded twice. He grabbed the keys and sprinted out of the apartment. Used the fire escape. No helmet. Key inserted. Kick start applied. The bike roared then died. Kick start. Roar.

Within moments he was away, taking the back route out of town.

He turned the corner just as the sheriff and seven police vehicles stopped in front of the bakery.

* Imagine Lyrics. John Lennon
I hope you are enjoying this rollercoaster action thriller. Please don't forget to leave a comment or a review. Your input means a lot to me.
2013 Louis J Harris
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Dang, Mama's got a gun! :battleaxe: Don't mess with Mama, but Colton better get the heck out of town. Someone has definitely told the cops something and he certainly needs to find Jack before Paul makes good on his promise. Have to say, this was a very enlightening chapter, but too dang short. :P Now I will be checking everyday to see when you post.

 

Great job!

Link to comment
On 02/14/2013 08:04 AM, joann414 said:
Dang, Mama's got a gun! :battleaxe: Don't mess with Mama, but Colton better get the heck out of town. Someone has definitely told the cops something and he certainly needs to find Jack before Paul makes good on his promise. Have to say, this was a very enlightening chapter, but too dang short. :P Now I will be checking everyday to see when you post.

 

Great job!

Thanks for the comment Joann. Well, Colton certainly did get out of town, where he is going and what is he going to do is anyone's guess. He hasn't quite told me yet. Vwery secretive he is. Jack of-ourse has his problems, and Ma Greaney, or Sue, is still going to be jampacked full of surprises. I'm glad you are enjoying the ride, albeit the short chapters.
Link to comment

I feel like I am Free-Falling, oops, wrong song! :music:

Extremely fast paced, making the characters act quickly and making me question everything that everyone does. (I even suddenly question how innocent Ma is!)

Keep your hands and feet inside the rollercoaster until you come to a complete stop! :thumbup:

Link to comment
On 02/15/2013 02:10 PM, Randomness said:
I feel like I am Free-Falling, oops, wrong song! :music:

Extremely fast paced, making the characters act quickly and making me question everything that everyone does. (I even suddenly question how innocent Ma is!)

Keep your hands and feet inside the rollercoaster until you come to a complete stop! :thumbup:

Why thank you for the comment. Free Falling is just a snippet of what you're going to feel in the upcoming chapters. Ma is anything but whom she appears to be and she knows exactly how to handle the situation. She certainkly surprised me with that gun move. She is more than what you would expect her to be and I'm glad you noticed that. By the way, Colton says Hi to Patrick and Ben.
Link to comment

Ma Graeney is full of surprises, isn't she? This chapter has a nice change of direction that keeps the mystery alive.

 

Only issue: Given Jack's blind POV, the description of Jack's captors somehow seems out of place. Other than that I really liked the chapter.

Link to comment
On 02/28/2013 07:28 AM, Mann Ramblings said:
Ma Graeney is full of surprises, isn't she? This chapter has a nice change of direction that keeps the mystery alive.

 

Only issue: Given Jack's blind POV, the description of Jack's captors somehow seems out of place. Other than that I really liked the chapter.

Yes, Sue is full of surprises. And she is a mother. Her role is to protect her child/ children. Only she knows where she wants to be and at the moment she's not telling me. Sly thing she is LOL. About the description of the captors, I will look at the passage again, but I can tell you that I am writing the story in the third person omnicient viewpoint, so it doesn't matter if Jack can see his captors or not. The narrator has that ability becasue in omniscient POV the narrator is the all seeing eye. Thanks for the observation and I will def go back and see what I can do to change it. Hugs
Link to comment

Oh my Lord... Ma sure has got some fire in her! She's suprised me by all means:D. What's she going to do now?

Link to comment

I really like this chapter! Sorry for getting back so late. Exams are all over me and I barely get much else done. The story is handled and read like a thriller and it is brilliant.

 

He shrugged and sniffed. ‘I…I don’ know, ma. Know one knows.

 

Evil twin :P

 

‘Lost your tongue in the explosion, Jack?’ Hunt asked, giggling like a schoolgirl. ‘No matter. Let me tell you what we have here. A scared little gay boy who deserted us. Oh. Wait. This isn’t about you being gay. It about you squealing on us. You worked both sides. A mole for the British government. I’m amazed you didn’t die in that bus. You do know of-course that bomb was meant to kill you. But, now that we have you, we’re goin’ to make your life a livin’ hell. Yes, sir…’

 

Personally I love this dialogue. You really have a way to make it menacing and testy and it just comes to life.

 

I'm also pleasantly surprised by Ma. This is great!

Link to comment
On 05/01/2013 12:57 AM, Circle said:
I really like this chapter! Sorry for getting back so late. Exams are all over me and I barely get much else done. The story is handled and read like a thriller and it is brilliant.

 

He shrugged and sniffed. ‘I…I don’ know, ma. Know one knows.

 

Evil twin :P

 

‘Lost your tongue in the explosion, Jack?’ Hunt asked, giggling like a schoolgirl. ‘No matter. Let me tell you what we have here. A scared little gay boy who deserted us. Oh. Wait. This isn’t about you being gay. It about you squealing on us. You worked both sides. A mole for the British government. I’m amazed you didn’t die in that bus. You do know of-course that bomb was meant to kill you. But, now that we have you, we’re goin’ to make your life a livin’ hell. Yes, sir…’

 

Personally I love this dialogue. You really have a way to make it menacing and testy and it just comes to life.

 

I'm also pleasantly surprised by Ma. This is great!

Sorry for the late reply. I've been away from GA for a while. Well, not spending as much time here as I should. So much to do. Life catches up. Thanks for the kind words about the story. Yeah, Ma is a surprising character and she's surprising me too. I love the thriller. But I try to put in a little romance when I can, when the characters allow me to ... lol
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..